InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 AM

@naquaada http://www.infinitemac.com/f10/staff...e-links-t1485/ Thanks bud

Last edited by nfoav8or; 10-28-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 AM

Yeah I wasn't sure if i should post the links or not... first I didn't want to but otherwise some people don't want to PM everytime, it would have been easier this way.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:43 AM
Panther

nfoav8or, can you help me?

my USB memory after reboot just only see itself as a HDD.

I can only see USB memory name on booting option as HDD.

I cant see my HDD and it cant see while booting.

I want to say mistake from my previous post

I forgot the HDD which is installed OSX because of this , I started to think , it working on USB memory stick , it was really funy! I laugh A lot!

yeah , that's a shame

the problem still exists how can I see HDD from USB memory?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusmac View Post
my USB memory after reboot just only see itself as a HDD.
I can only see USB memory name on booting option as HDD.
I cant see my HDD and it cant see while booting.
the problem still exists how can I see HDD from USB memory?
when you say flash memory, you are talking about a flash drive/flash media that retains the data you place on it correct...?

if you've got the correct kernel extensions to use with your hardware, you should be able to see it by using the methods we've already covered above.

edit all of these extensions on the flash drive while running within the OS you already have installed on the Hard drive... don't try to copy it over to the flash drive while booted up from it.

I'm not able to follow all of your thoughts as you've posted them. Can you clarify a bit?

Old 11-04-2008, 01:02 AM
Panther

I will start new installation process, I need to re-arrange the things.
than I will clarify some other things.

did you look at my other post? related to multiple mkext file option?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Cheetah

Alright, so I have been trying my best to follow this, and I've noticed this on my own machine. My very first installation attempt installed OS X onto my 8GB flash drive. It was not until after that installation that the Mac OS installer was able to recognize my machine's internal HDD. With the flash drive plugged into the machine at boot up, the gray Apple loading screen pops up after the Darwin prompt like it normally does, but without the flash drive, it reverts to the typical black screen with tons of text going through it (like a verbose option).

My question is, does the USB flash drive help the computer to boot up? And is there a way to make this "boot up drive" available as a partition on the actually computer HDD so you won't need the USB to boot? As stupid as it sounds, I've seen youtube videos of people simply pressing their power button and bam, the computer just boots up like a normal Apple would. lol I'm just trying to get my computer to a point where it will do this!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafellabryan View Post
Alright, so I have been trying my best to follow this, and I've noticed this on my own machine. My very first installation attempt installed OS X onto my 8GB flash drive. It was not until after that installation that the Mac OS installer was able to recognize my machine's internal HDD. With the flash drive plugged into the machine at boot up, the gray Apple loading screen pops up after the Darwin prompt like it normally does, but without the flash drive, it reverts to the typical black screen with tons of text going through it (like a verbose option).

My question is, does the USB flash drive help the computer to boot up? And is there a way to make this "boot up drive" available as a partition on the actually computer HDD so you won't need the USB to boot? As stupid as it sounds, I've seen youtube videos of people simply pressing their power button and bam, the computer just boots up like a normal Apple would. lol I'm just trying to get my computer to a point where it will do this!

I guess my first question is: did you follow the thread to create a MAC OS X INSTALL FLASH DRIVE or did you actually install Mac OS X TO the flash drive from a DVD?

My own input to this thread was to make it faster to boot into a working MAC OS X INSTALL FLASH DRIVE so it would be easier for people to make sure their systems were supported by the different distros out there by simply editing the installer.

Have you by any chance installed chameleon to the Hard Drive (not flash drive)?

Let me know and I'll try to be of more use here.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:39 AM

Lightbulb Wiki updated

i added a bit of info about installing from flash to the wiki under howto

Leopard 10.6.5 | Core i3 | Gigabyte H55M-USB3 | ATI 5770 | Coolermaster Cosmos
Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfoav8or View Post
Boot up normally into OS X and then run Disk Utility. Either insert the DVD or find the .iso you used to write the DVD (the .iso is faster) and select the flash drive on the left. Then select Restore on the top tab and place the respective items in the Source and Destination fields. This will take a while so sit back and read a book or browse the web. When its done, close Disk Utility and open the Chameleon installer ... and select your USB drive as the installation destination and it should work.
So I can apply this to an exernal hdd as well ?

-transfer the image i want to use unto the MAc hdd
-plug in my external hdd (formated to HFS+)
-Select restore and select my iso as the source and my externall as the destination
-open the chameleon installer (how and where do i do this? b/c im new to macs) and select my external usb as he installation destination (is this step to install the actual running OSX on my external ? b/c I dont want to do that. and hopefully i can skip this step)

CPU: AMD Phenom 9600
Chipset: 790G SB700 (looking for the kext for it now)
Audio:Realtek ALC888
Lan: Realtek 8111C
Video:ATI Radeon HD 3200

unimportant stuff:
Ram: 4 x 1GB 240 pin ddr2 @ 1066mhz
Hdd: 40 gb (IDE) (FAT32)
250 gb (SATA) (NTSF)
External 1TB (HFS+)
External 250 GB (NTSF)
Audio interfaces: Mobile Pre, FW Solo, Lexicon Alpha, Motu, etc.
This whole rig is for production purposes

www.myspace.com/natewil
Old 01-05-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewill18 View Post
So I can apply this to an exernal hdd as well ?

-transfer the image i want to use unto the MAc hdd
-plug in my external hdd (formated to HFS+)
-Select restore and select my iso as the source and my externall as the destination
-open the chameleon installer (how and where do i do this? b/c im new to macs) and select my external usb as he installation destination (is this step to install the actual running OSX on my external ? b/c I dont want to do that. and hopefully i can skip this step)
Yes. You can restore your installation DVD to an external HD from Disk Utility. When you install Chameleon you are only installing the bootloader (not an operating system) so your PC will realize that you can boot from the disk. To install chameleon, be running an installed OS X system and download the installer from chameleon's website. Open the installer and make sure you select the proper drive (after you've performed the restore to it).

Now your installs will go faster. Enjoy.

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.