InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 AM

Snow Leopard First Impressions

just recently installed snow leopard gonna redo tommorow. Will share my reactions as more of my hardware is supported out of the box. Longtime since I've posted but thought it was only worth posting now as had nothing new to share till now

Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 AM

Hey man, I have just recently had a few moments the last few evenings to pick up my projects. Im finally ironing out the bugs in my retail install and trying to put together a little guide for Retail install on older nForce chipsets. I think then I will look into DSDT and maybe a USB thumb drive retail install which works on my AMD and also on my MacPros and iMacs at work. My other projects just take too much time and until the market gets better im going to have to focus on making some money.

I upgraded our machines at work to Snow Leopard.. all but my PPC G5 Tower of course. Though that baby chugs along, Ive manage to stave off the future and keep an old Tiger machine running.

Im impressed with the slimmed down applications and the fact that the default display gamma has been changed to 2.2 but thats where it ends. I have a long list of aggravations and disappointments.

I have the retail disk on my desk but Im content with getting my 10.5 rig solid.

MOBO: Z77MX-QUO-AOS CPU: Core i7 3770K GPU: MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC Case: Modded MacPro2,1
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance (CMY32GX3M4A1600C9) Wifi: Airport Extreme bcm94321MCA BIOS: HermitCrab Labs H3A.816M
Monitor: AOC Q2963Pm 29" WFHD 2560x1080 21:9
Interests: KDE on Apple Darwin, Keeping it real with the command line, Helping those that help themselves
Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM

most impressive fact was all i needed to boot a retail was kernel and fakemc.kext

Old 01-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlessPPC View Post
most impressive fact was all i needed to boot a retail was kernel and fakemc.kext
Are you using the rig from your sig?
So SB600 would support AHCI?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 - ASRock AM3A770DE - 8GB DDR3-1333 - Radeon HD 5570 1GB passiv - BCM4318 802.11b/g - Snow Leopard Retail
+++
AMD Phenom X3 8450 - ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA (BIOS L2.39) - 4GB DDR2-800 - Radeon HD 4650 512MB - Snow Leopard Retail (retired) / OpenBSD
Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imkantus View Post
Are you using the rig from your sig?
So SB600 would support AHCI?
yes I am and yes it is. All i made allowances for was the sil3132 card (as its booting of this) and wasnt concentrating on the sb600 sata but it picks it up on its own. it doesnt detect the PATA/IDE but was impressed that it drove the sata. Like I've posted countless times before only add what you need to to get the os on the drive do the available updates then check what hardware is working before adding kexts or patching

Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlessPPC View Post
Same here + AppleYukon2Injector.kext for Onboard network controller + IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

Mac OS X 10.7.2 11C40 - Vanilla kernel
Gigabyte GA-P43T-ES3G - Intel Q8300 - 4 GB Geil DDRIII 1333MHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SC 1024 MB - Linksys WMP54GS PCI
Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Leopard

I am doing a retail install of Snow leopard as I type this, One problem I had with a retail install before is that no matter where I put my .kext files (like in the Extensions folder or in the Extra folder) they don't respond, Is there something I am not doing right?

D.M

RETIRED
Old 01-12-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00010 View Post
I am doing a retail install of Snow leopard as I type this, One problem I had with a retail install before is that no matter where I put my .kext files (like in the Extensions folder or in the Extra folder) they don't respond, Is there something I am not doing right?

D.M
are you repairing permissions on the kexts once they have been added or are you just copying them also try booting with -v -f

Old 01-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Leopard

No?, What is the proper placement of the kexts?, I wanted them to go to the "Extra" folder, do I need to make a folder in the "Extra" folder called "Extensions" also?

Before when I tried to install my LAN kext file, I used the installer package it came with and that dident work, I know it worked when I used the prepatched install, also when I used kext utility it dident work.

I have been on the OSx86 project for about 3-4 years now, I know I am missing something obvious I just dont know what, I am new to the whole "Retail Install" idea, When I first Installed OSx86 You had to compile your own prepatched DVD's.

RETIRED

Last edited by 00010; 01-12-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 AM

alright experiences not good..... well they are but it appears i have forgot so much or taken too much for granted. So heres the biggie there is no such thing as retail install on amd of snow leopard. Yes that right you read it correctly. I did the retail "INSTALL" as i would do normally only needed fakesmc.kext and sil3132.kext dropped in /extras folder but it will support SB600 SATA (AHCI) if you boot from the installer instead of running osxinstall.mpkg from an existing osx system. It all installs a treat. Used graphics enabler from Chameleon to get my new 9600gt working (boy that was easy) thanx Chameleon crew). So wheres the issue you ask? why not retail???? Well after many weird (no text) iTunes errors and 2 fresh installs after trying DSDT fixes and running in safe mode its turns out thats there is no Snow Leopard CPUID patching kernel for AMD. So to cut a long story short for it to run as it should you have to break out the old MARVIN's patcher. eg= patched snow install not retail. But the most amazing thing is unlike Leopard 10.5 you dont have to patch with marvins any of the install disk. Even tho i havent done much in SNOW on AMD I only really had a problem with iTunes which leads me to believe that Apple are moving away from the whole CPUID situation. Its just that iTunes I guess will retain alot of old code (CPUID dependent stuff). Will post more when Ive done more. None of this is gospel just my thought and findings If you KNOW different then say but if you THINK different then please share your thoughts

L8rs LawlessPPC

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.