InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 02-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Cheetah

Can only run 64bit with 4GB of ram, 32 bit apps crash

I am building my first hackintosh and these are my specs. I have an AMD phenom II X6 1055t, gigabyte 880ga-UD3H mobo, ati 4850, and 8GB of ram (2x4GB). Everything works great in both 32 and 64 bit as long as I am only running 4GB of ram but when I try to use 8GB I have issues. I am using the newest 10.6 kernel. If I start up the machine with 4GB of ram in 64 bit mode all apps work fine, both 32 and 64 bit apps, I can check them in activity monitor and see that some of each are running. If I turn off the system and insert the other 4GB of ram (for a total of 8GB) I have problems. I can start up the machine it starts up fine no issues. Once it boots I can pull up the about this mac and see that it is running 8GB of ram, but when I try to run a 32 bit app it instantly crashes. If I check activity monitor it only shows 64 bit apps running. Been trying to figure this out for days any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Panther

With what for kernel flags do you boot your machine?

Greetz
Old 02-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Cheetah

I found elsewhere that you must manually set maxmem=4096 in your kernel boot options in /Extra/com.apple....plist file (forgot the full name). This resolved the crashes for me. I am still having problems using home brew and xcode to compile things though. Haven't figure that out yet.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Past time I have had such issues using any Kernel with integrated dyld on the old Phenom X3 machine as well - some of those might have been related to some broken electrolytic capacitors that are giving me memtest freezes with more than 2 DIMM of RAM, so I cannot make any proper testings using that rig nor a clear statement what issues have actually been Kernel related.

For those reasons I have put some money into new hardware.
When setting up the new PC the day before yesterday I tried Andy's latest 10.6.6 Kernel with auto-patching dyld as well as the one nawcom has compiled using previous patch.
Both result into dyld related sysenter traps when launching 32-Bit Apps, both Kernel are fine when booting maxmem=4000 - so I think this is actually sort of bug in the Kernel Patch not in custom dyld.

Currently I am using some older Kernel Patch that Andy has once released for use with 10.6.4 compiled with latest Darwin source code, in combination with manually patched sysenter traps (code signatures not removed manually) in dyld, libSystem.B.dylib, libSystem.B_debug.dylib and libSystem.B_profile.dylib
This make me able to use full 8GB of memory in -force64 mode + fully working 32-Bit Apps.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 - ASRock AM3A770DE - 8GB DDR3-1333 - Radeon HD 5570 1GB passiv - BCM4318 802.11b/g - Snow Leopard Retail
+++
AMD Phenom X3 8450 - ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA (BIOS L2.39) - 4GB DDR2-800 - Radeon HD 4650 512MB - Snow Leopard Retail (retired) / OpenBSD

Last edited by Imkantus; 02-18-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imkantus View Post
Past time I have had such issues using any Kernel with integrated dyld on the old Phenom X3 machine as well - some of those might have been related to some broken electrolytic capacitors that are giving me memtest freezes with more than 2 DIMM of RAM, so I cannot make any proper testings using that rig nor a clear statement what issues have actually been Kernel related.

When setting up the new PC the day before yesterday I tried Andy's latest 10.6.6 Kernel with auto-patching dyld as well as the one nawcom has compiled using previous patch.
Both result into dyld related sysenter traps when launching 32-Bit Apps, both Kernel are fine when booting maxmem=4000 - so I think this is actually sort of bug in the Kernel Patch not in custom dyld.

Currently I am using some older Kernel Patch that Andy has once released for use with 10.6.4 compiled with latest Darwin source code, in combination with manually patched sysenter traps (code signatures not removed manually) in dyld, libSystem.B.dylib, libSystem.B_debug.dylib and libSystem.B_profile.dylib
This make me able to use full 8GB of memory in -force64 mode + fully working 32-Bit Apps.

That is good to know.
That would be the reason why the kernel doesn´t work well with my system.

Greetz
Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 AM
#ADHDMedia

Quote:

I'm also having this exact issue myself... I can run 32/64 bit with no issues when limiting my RAM to 4GB, but when I try to boot with more than that I cannot run any of my 32 bit apps. It sounds like you have a fix for this remedy, is there any chance you can post a tutorial or at least a link to one? I would love to be able to use all 8 GB of RAM that I have in my system

Thanks to all in advance...!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Cheetah

Quote:

hi
can you upload that kernel you build?
thanks in advance

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.