InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 05-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Cheetah

The Snow Leopard Saga...

Hello!

Firstly I'd just like to say how helpful this forum has been for me in trying to understand some of the hackintosh concepts such as DSDT's, Kexts, permissions, terminal commands etc.

Unfortunately, however I try, I cannot seem to get a stable install of Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (or higher) on my system. I will begin by listing my system specs. and what I have tried so far and I hope you guys will help me further

Motherboard: Asus P5K-E Wifi AP (bios rev.1305)
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66
Ram: 4GB DDR2-800.
Audio: AD1988b
Network: Marvell Yukon 88E8056

Also I should point out I simply have 1 500gb SATA HD and 1 CD-RW drive both configured to AHCI in my bios. I am also using a USB Keyboard & Mouse.

Ok down to the nitty gritty...

After scouring the net for a solution that seemed to be easy for a beginner like myself, I came across the myHack installer (uses chameleon bootloader). I checked off all the boxes in terms of the required hardware for a successfull install so I thought to myself, great.. this sounds like the one!

However.. I have managed to get it installed and boot into Snow Leopard successfully but I can not get my Audio/Network up and running alongside the 10.6.2 patch.
I have downloaded the pack at the start of this guide and tried to use the AD1988b.Fix.kext alongside the edited DSDT file (which I placed in /Volumes/SnowLeopard/Extra) and at some point this did work but I actually can't remember how I did this (stupid I know).
I also edited my Info.plist file to enable my network card and I also got this to work in the first install I did (alongisde the audio) except I was stupid enough to update to 10.6.2 without backing any of this up and subsequently lost the lot.

Where I am confused is this... The myHack installer states that it is safe to update to all the way to 10.6.3 using the kexts that are provided with the installer without any kernel panics or errors. On my first attempt at installing I did have everything working as it should but obviously mixing kexts from the pack at the start of this guide and those contained in the myHack installer has caused my system to become unstable somewhere down the line. I have also come to the conclusion that the edited DSDT.aml file may have caused some problems?

Sorry for the extremely long post and poor grammar but I am coming to the end of my tether with trying to get Snow Leopard installed and functioning on this system and I am even contemplating installing Windows 7! My previous OS was the iPC 10.5.6 Distro which worked flawlessly on my system.

Thanks Again to you all for the information I have gained already and I hope some of you may be able to put me on the right path with how to get this working!

Regards,
Ortonruk
Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Cheetah

Like 3 or 4 weeks ago I managed to get my Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP Hackintosh finally workin(2Duo E6750 and 2 gigs of kingston ram)...Got a new HDD from Samsung few Days ago which is much better than my old one and its even better now...faster...just copied the drives with carbincopycloner....NOW MY PROBLEM: Just bought another 4gig of the same ram and now installed 6 gigs (2x1; 2x2)...The rams work fine cause windows 7 is booting nicely BUT my beloved Snow Leopard (10.6.0) freezed when the grey/silver boot menu with the apple appears...It Just doesn't move no more...PLZ ANY IDEAS? I'm on 64 Bit

thx very much

edit:

if I take out the 2 gigs and leave only the 4 it isn't working either...Only If I take out the two 2gb rams and put back the 2x1gb it works flawlessly like before... at least I know it something with the 4gb of ram....

these are the memories

KHX6400D2LLK2/2G 2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC
Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 2.0V
KHX6400D2LLK2/4G 4GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC
Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 1.95V
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenobi1 View Post
Like 3 or 4 weeks ago I managed to get my Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP Hackintosh finally workin(2Duo E6750 and 2 gigs of kingston ram)...Got a new HDD from Samsung few Days ago which is much better than my old one and its even better now...faster...just copied the drives with carbincopycloner....NOW MY PROBLEM: Just bought another 4gig of the same ram and now installed 6 gigs (2x1; 2x2)...The rams work fine cause windows 7 is booting nicely BUT my beloved Snow Leopard (10.6.0) freezed when the grey/silver boot menu with the apple appears...It Just doesn't move no more...PLZ ANY IDEAS? I'm on 64 Bit

thx very much

edit:

if I take out the 2 gigs and leave only the 4 it isn't working either...Only If I take out the two 2gb rams and put back the 2x1gb it works flawlessly like before... at least I know it something with the 4gb of ram....

these are the memories

KHX6400D2LLK2/2G 2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC
Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 2.0V
KHX6400D2LLK2/4G 4GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC
Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 1.95V
You must re-patch you DSDT for every RAM change (2gb, 4gb, 6gb...)
Old 06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Cheetah

Don't got DSDT only changed kexts
Old 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Cheetah

Just updated to 10.6.4 - no issues. working well.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Cheetah

Won't load new kernel, weird SW Raid0 problem

Hey all, just wondering if you guys were able to help me out with a new problem I've encountered after updating to 10.6.4

Forgive me if this has already been covered, I couldn't find anything after googling for hours and this is the first time I've come across this problem.

I made a post over on Insanely Mac but hasn't had any responses so was seeking assistance here.

I firstly want to thank every one of you great people contributing to the community! A Hackintosh has been an awesome experience for me and has even inspired me to buy a real mac, a macbook pro.

Now, I recently setup software raid0 on my hack since my TB drive was filling up and I wasn't using W7 anymore so wiped my WD1001FALS's and striped them.

I followed all the steps from Chameleon and had no problem duplicating the necessary files for Chameleon to do it's thing and let me boot from either drive.

All was fine and dandy until I installed the 10.6.4 update and I had noticed it didn't update the kernel to 10.4 and upon further inspection, I was receiving 'refusing new kext' errors so it wasn't loading any new kexts either. I was tearing my hair out trying to work out why this was happening when I finally thought I'd try booting from the other drive, and, it worked. It loaded the new kernel & all the new kexts and my system was working as it should with the update.

I think a normal person would leave it at that and be done with it but I want to understand why this has occured. Why would it matter which drive I boot from? Well I opened up the Boot OSX partition on each drive and noticed one had the new kernel while the other one didn't. Could this be an error on Apples part? I mean, it's their software controlling the raid slices, all slices should have the same kernel shouldn't they? I copied the new kernel to the other drive though and it loaded but still wouldn't load the new kexts.

Here's the error from the kernel log:

Quote:
Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.mach, v10.4: already have loaded v10.3.
Refusing new kext com.apple.kernel.mach, v7.9.9: a loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present.
This happens for a bunch of kexts, I just chose mach.

I also noticed while trying to patch my DSDT to support shutdown, restart & sleep (failed on the sleep part) I noticed another error affecting the current drive which is.

Quote:
Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 3345 goto Exit
Sound is still working though as I use DSDT to get that up with the AD1988.kext so I assume this is because of the new AppleHDA? I don't get this error booting off the other drive (the one with the 'refusing new kext' errors) so I assume it's because it's not loading the new AppleHDA.

Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to give you as much info as I could. Here are my system specs too.

Quote:
Akshunhiro's Mac Pro
Snow Leopard 10.6.4 Vanilla with Chameleon
Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP (Intel P35 ICH9-R) with Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
XFX8800GT 512MB
2x WD1001FALS in Software Raid0 + Pioneer DVR-215
Thanks in advance
Johnno.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Cheetah

As far as the audio is concerned, i never got mine to work without Voodoo. My ethernet (88E8056) was however working but since an update from Apple, the details of which i can't remember and which i clearly shouldn't have installed, it hasn't worked. While this is not too helpful, maybe that's what is preventing yours from working - it may not be a hackintosh issue. Unfortunately for me, the update was so long ago that the Time Machine backups are useless now to reverse the situation... anybody with any ideas, please help... and btw, i went back to W7 for a week and then missed Mac so much i went back again - i wouldn't advise it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortonruk View Post
Hello!

Firstly I'd just like to say how helpful this forum has been for me in trying to understand some of the hackintosh concepts such as DSDT's, Kexts, permissions, terminal commands etc.

Unfortunately, however I try, I cannot seem to get a stable install of Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (or higher) on my system. I will begin by listing my system specs. and what I have tried so far and I hope you guys will help me further

Motherboard: Asus P5K-E Wifi AP (bios rev.1305)
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66
Ram: 4GB DDR2-800.
Audio: AD1988b
Network: Marvell Yukon 88E8056

Also I should point out I simply have 1 500gb SATA HD and 1 CD-RW drive both configured to AHCI in my bios. I am also using a USB Keyboard & Mouse.

Ok down to the nitty gritty...

After scouring the net for a solution that seemed to be easy for a beginner like myself, I came across the myHack installer (uses chameleon bootloader). I checked off all the boxes in terms of the required hardware for a successfull install so I thought to myself, great.. this sounds like the one!

However.. I have managed to get it installed and boot into Snow Leopard successfully but I can not get my Audio/Network up and running alongside the 10.6.2 patch.
I have downloaded the pack at the start of this guide and tried to use the AD1988b.Fix.kext alongside the edited DSDT file (which I placed in /Volumes/SnowLeopard/Extra) and at some point this did work but I actually can't remember how I did this (stupid I know).
I also edited my Info.plist file to enable my network card and I also got this to work in the first install I did (alongisde the audio) except I was stupid enough to update to 10.6.2 without backing any of this up and subsequently lost the lot.

Where I am confused is this... The myHack installer states that it is safe to update to all the way to 10.6.3 using the kexts that are provided with the installer without any kernel panics or errors. On my first attempt at installing I did have everything working as it should but obviously mixing kexts from the pack at the start of this guide and those contained in the myHack installer has caused my system to become unstable somewhere down the line. I have also come to the conclusion that the edited DSDT.aml file may have caused some problems?

Sorry for the extremely long post and poor grammar but I am coming to the end of my tether with trying to get Snow Leopard installed and functioning on this system and I am even contemplating installing Windows 7! My previous OS was the iPC 10.5.6 Distro which worked flawlessly on my system.

Thanks Again to you all for the information I have gained already and I hope some of you may be able to put me on the right path with how to get this working!

Regards,
Ortonruk
Old 07-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Cheetah

snow on Asus P5K-E WiFi-AP

Hello

at first, thank you for all the osx86 community.

I've done a retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 install using MyHack installer on this system:
- Asus P5K-E WiFi-AP
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
- GeForce 8600 GTS

I got some problem to make sound or ethernet work, because I've tried more than one kext for each element. Now, I've removed all kexts and only installed the minimum.

Here are my steps:
1. Make a retail restauration of Snow on 8Gb USB key
2. Install MyHack on this usb key
3. Install MacOsx on the system (booting on the usb key) with GraphicsEnabler "yes"
4. install some more kext* (if possible 64 bits working) with Kext Helper b7:
  • AD1988bFix.kext
  • the last one fakesmc.kext
  • IONetworkingFamily.kext (because new one)
  • JMicronATA.kext because I have more than 4 Gb sdram
  • SleepEnabler.kext (the last one, without kernel panic)
  • also VoodooHDA.kext, but certainly in double
  • (there's also all the kext present in Chameleon, Myhack)
5. make the change for ethernet in AppleYukon
6. I've then used DSDTSE.app to extract the DSDT (maybe after a reboot is better ?), changed it to make the AD1988B sound chip work, and then compile and install it in Extra folder.
7. the last, use Lizard.app to put some Boot options:
  • Graphics resolution
  • "Built in Ethernet" and "Graphics Injection"
  • emplacement of the DSDT file
  • boot theme
  • Extra flags: -v (verbose mode)
But finally, I'm not sure all the lizard options have been taken in acoumpt... (cause I've not done yet Install and Update)

* Note that before install kext, it is interesting to put them in color (right click) in order to find them easy in S/L/E

Now I'm running a 10.6.4 snow Leopard
Thanks !!!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Cheetah

q6600 P5K-E Wifi A/P final touches

Thanks to the information on this forum I've successfully got SL 10.6.4 running on my overclocked q6600 P5K-E Wifi A/P

I used the myhack method and installed the following kexts on top

AD1988bFix.kext
The latest Fakesmc.kext
IONetworkingFamily.kext
JMicronATA.kext
SleepEnabler.kext
VoodooHDA.kext,
I used the Realtek_RTL8187 installer to get the wifi card working.

Theres one thing I'd like to iron out:

In the profiler>Serial ATA the Intel SATA controller is showing as UnKnown AHCI standard controller. Can this be changed to show the Intel ICH9R controller correctly by using a kext or DSDTSE hack?

EDIT:

Sorted this by editing /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACHIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Under IOKitPersonalities I added:

<key>ICH9RAHCI</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
<key>Chipset Name</key>
<string>ICH9R AHCI</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>AppleAHCI</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x29228086</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>2000</integer>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
<key>Vendor Name</key>
<string>Intel</string>
</dict>

10.6.5 update now working using new 64 bit SleepEnabler.kext

Last edited by barren; 11-23-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: solved problem
Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Cheetah

I have a problem
I have a mobo P5K-e wifi

when I was 2giga ram was fine
now that I put the new ram OCZ Reaper PC8500 8GB DDR2 1066 is no longer
evil black screen comes on and turns off
What can I do??

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.