InfiniteMac OSx86  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Cheetah

Broken Hackintosh - Cant Boot & No Support

Hi All

First post and hopefully you can assist. I'm aware I might not be in the right forum so any directions appreciated

To cut a long story short, my Hackintosh media centre running Snow Leopard is now failing to boot and wont get to the splash screen that had a Chameleon on it. Unfortunately I cant remember the build but it might be iAtkos?

My father was an avid x86 / Hackintosh builder but unfortunately he passed away in November, and despite my computer savvy, I dont have enough to diagnose the problem on my own.

The box itself contains a main drive with the OS, and a second drive with all my music, photos etc... so obviously I'm keen to either (a) get it running again or (b) at the very least, recover my valuable data. I took a backup a few months back but will lose some photos

When I power on the machine, the disk whirrs, it goes to some BIOS splash screens - more slowly than usual - then stops at a certain stage. I'm attaching screenshots to help explain the failure point. The final stage is where it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

I suspect it hasnt even got to the OSX load point, and this is a boot / DOS issue but cant be sure

If anyone has seen something similar, or can guide me to a solution of sorts, I'd really really appreciate it

Many thanks
D
Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 PM

Welcome to our forums gypsymoth.

First of all, im really sorry about your father.

Second of all - what your computer tells you is simply that it cannot find a bootloader, and that's probably because of this message:

"Detecting drives. No drives found"

Seems like something might have happened to the setting, SATA controller or the HDD itself. Can you enter BIOS setup ( F2 or DEL ) and verify the settings for primary drive ? Check this and post the results please.

www.ultimae.com
Panoramic music, for panoramic people.

AMD Phenom II X6 3.5Ghz
AMD 990FX Chipset
Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600Mhz
AMD Radeon HD6850 X2 CrossFire
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM

For me it seems like the HDD is dead.

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.

My Hardware
CPU: Intel Celeron G530
Memory: 4.00 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3