InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 04-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Puma

Stumped During Retail Leopard OS X on PC

ok so I have been trying to install retail leopard os x 10.5.6 to my PC running Vista Home Premium. I have partitioned my HDD successfully with GParted and have it formatted with NTFS. I have a retail os x DVD and a BOOT 132 loader (the generic one). every time I attempt installation I get to the grey screen with the apple logo and a continuously spinning wheel just below it. when i boot using the F8 and -v command I can see that it gets stuck with the error SAM Multimedia Read_Write Failed Sense_Key or something similar to that.

My Specs:
HP dv6700 Notebook PC
Intel Core 2 Duo T5600
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 OS
4GB DDR2 RAM
Mobile Intel GMA 965 Express Family Chipset
Intel 82801HBM (ICH8-ME) Southbridge
ATA and SATA Device Drivers
ACPI x86 based PC

please keep in mind that i'm not completely sure what some of that means. i am adequate with computers but don't consider myself IT technician worthy so please be patient if you think i am a noob. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Last edited by uhtardedsqwirl; 04-20-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:42 AM
Panther

N00bs ask "why doesn't this work?" and don't post their specs, lol. Therefore IMO, not n00b.
That being said, have you tried anything besides -v? For instance, -x -v -f?

Custom Hackintosh...AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (2.6 GHz) on GA-MA78GM-S2H...Linksys WMP300n Wireless...ALC889a sound...ATI HD 3650 PCIe...1 GB DDR2 RAM...320GB Western Digital SATA + 200GB Seagate IDE HDD...Rosewill DVD-RW IDE...Running Kalyway upgraded to 10.5.7...All Fully Functional
Old 04-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Puma

lol...thanks for that...the only options it displays are -v for advanced setup options and ? to learn what those setup options are. after i hit 9f and enter i am the told to either hit enter to boot the DVD of F8 to boot up with advanced setup options. it then gives me another option to choose either -v or ?. to my knowledge everytime i use the ? command nothing happens so i usually end up just using the -v command unless i want to stare at that evil grey apple screen until i get bored with it. i have been looking around and people that have tried this using pirated retails are told that it could be a bad burn or rip. could it be that i don't have the right kext files in the BOOT 132?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Umm, yeah it`s often caused by bad dvd burn, which probably is not the case here if you have it from store. Well, it may be very stupid suggestion but - have you tried swapping jumpers in your dvd/hdd ? Try to switch them, for instance set dvd as master etc. - it may sound useless but in some cases ( for some people ) it worked. Anyway, trying retail as a first attempt doesnt seem like a very good idea - modified releases are more likely to work, but mabye it`s worth a try with jumpers. Have no other ideas, sorry.

www.ultimae.com
Panoramic music, for panoramic people.

AMD Phenom II X6 3.5Ghz
AMD 990FX Chipset
Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600Mhz
AMD Radeon HD6850 X2 CrossFire
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB
Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Puma

so now this is the part where i ask how to do that
Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Notebooks are sometimes the hardest to diagnose with these problems because you can't just open them up and check out your chipsets, etc (unless you have the know-how or aren't worried about breaking your notebook's warranty).

I would agree (for now) that you should use a distro that is "obtained" from online and better tailored to fit your needs. If you've looked through the forum at all you will see different versions of these distros being named so that will offer a better place to start from. If you are able to install from one of these other distros, we can call that a "test" and then move on to getting a retail-install working on your notebook. The 965 chipset is a graphics chipset and should be supported by the other distros. We need to figure out what kind of northbridge/southbridge chipset you are working from and then know how to better diagnose.

@Taisto - did you see he's working on a notebook bud? Normally in a Notebook you aren't going to have the DVD drive and HD sharing a ribbon cable so I don't think jumpers are the issue here. (although you may have a point with a bad burn... he is using a Boot-132 loader)

Last edited by nfoav8or; 04-11-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Puma

i thought that sounded weird cause i know about jumpers and desktops but never notebooks...i would only crack it open as a last resort since i have done it before...i also added my southbridge to the specs above...i can't believe i left that one out but you can't always remember everything.

i have been trying to find a BOOT 132 specific for my computer but haven't managed to find one. i have a copy of the slimbuild version where you add the kexts specific to your machine but my problem is i'm not adept enough to know where to find them. i have heard of the other things like iDeneb, iATAKOS, Leo4All, and Kalaway if that is indeed what you are talking about. if so then please suggest which you think would be best.

as we speak i am "obtaining" Leo4All V3 because i have been at this for 2 weeks worth of long nights and am not stopping till this machine runs OS X. Retail would be preferable but in the meantime i will stick with what i can get until then.

also, if you have any help regarding making my own personalized BOOT132 that would be great.

also, if it is a bad burn then maybe i could try booting the 132 from a flash drive?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:09 PM

Umm...actually i didnt notice it`s notebook. Damn HP, why they have to name notebook series the same as desktop ones :P. Sorry, that was very "noobish" of me... <ashamed>

www.ultimae.com
Panoramic music, for panoramic people.

AMD Phenom II X6 3.5Ghz
AMD 990FX Chipset
Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600Mhz
AMD Radeon HD6850 X2 CrossFire
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB

Last edited by Taisto; 04-11-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Puma

so now about that help that i require...please? =(
Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Panther

Give Leo4All a try and if it loads correctly we can go from there.

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.

Custom Hackintosh...AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (2.6 GHz) on GA-MA78GM-S2H...Linksys WMP300n Wireless...ALC889a sound...ATI HD 3650 PCIe...1 GB DDR2 RAM...320GB Western Digital SATA + 200GB Seagate IDE HDD...Rosewill DVD-RW IDE...Running Kalyway upgraded to 10.5.7...All Fully Functional