InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfoav8or View Post
I've been running munky's EFI partition mod since the voodoo kernel came online so I've been around the block a bit with it.
Would you mind alerting me to what kexts should go in the EFI partition so that I may move the there and never worry about an Apple update again? Stuff like AppleSMBIOS perhaps? System.kext? Etc?

Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 (9L30) | Chameleon 2.0 RC3 | Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz 800Mhz FSB HyperThread 1MB L2 cache SSE3 1MB L2 cache works, cosmetic display of 512KB L2 cache | Asus P4V8X-MX VIA Chipset, VIA-VT8237 Southbridge | AC97 VIA8237 | Dual 1GB 333Mhz DDR SDRAM | nVidia PNY GeForce 7600GS 512MB 8x AGP DVI/TV-Out/VGA [NVinject 0.2.1; QE/CI/QuartzGL/Rotation] | Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Sun Jun 14 20:48:28 IST 2009; Voodoo 2.0 Intel alpha3 :xnu-1228.12.14/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara Taiki View Post
Would you mind alerting me to what kexts should go in the EFI partition so that I may move the there and never worry about an Apple update again? Stuff like AppleSMBIOS perhaps? System.kext? Etc?
first of all, I'm not saying I'm a know-it-all when it comes to this stuff... Just that I've been using it for a while and on a bunch of different (test) systems and (except for the first time doing it) haven't botched it. I've also been helping people install via this method via PM and have had a lot of positive results. All credit, of course, goes to munky (and those that helped him) though. I'm just the messenger who explains it a little more in depth and helps provide a few files.

chipset kexts are the biggest one (of course)... just make sure that any of the kexts you place in this partition don't have kexts within a sub-directory of itself as this tends to through it for a loop. Also, modified AppleHDA kexts don't want to work due to dependancies that aren't able to be linked properly from a separate partition.

the files I use with my system are: AppleDecrypt (or dsmos), AppleSMBIOSEFI, and Disabler (although I know the latest voodoo has support to blacklist IntelCPUPowerManagement)... as well as my AppleNForceATA chipset kext (which I use the Test variant for as it provides the best DVD support on my system). I also modify the com.apple.boot.plist file with an EFI string for my video card enabling it to work with the native NVDANV40Hal.kext file (post-Leopard_Graphics_Update).

I haven't had to include the System.kext file as I don't have an hiccups when I don't use corresponding kernel/kext versions except for seatbelt.kext. This is the only file I have to revert back to (native Apple file, just earlier version obtained from a downloaded update and saved).

does this help in any way? (or are you just messin' with me )

Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Jaguar

Will this tool be able to replace Disk Utility or this tool can only CREATE partitions?

thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
Will this tool be able to replace Disk Utility or this tool can only CREATE partitions?

thanks
Neither. It takes the GUID 200MB EFI partition that already exists, modifies it so you can boot from it, load kexts, a kernel and boot plist in it, and use that to load most of your kexts so you can have an on disk boot-132 type setup, protecting you from most Apple Updates.

Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 (9L30) | Chameleon 2.0 RC3 | Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz 800Mhz FSB HyperThread 1MB L2 cache SSE3 1MB L2 cache works, cosmetic display of 512KB L2 cache | Asus P4V8X-MX VIA Chipset, VIA-VT8237 Southbridge | AC97 VIA8237 | Dual 1GB 333Mhz DDR SDRAM | nVidia PNY GeForce 7600GS 512MB 8x AGP DVI/TV-Out/VGA [NVinject 0.2.1; QE/CI/QuartzGL/Rotation] | Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Sun Jun 14 20:48:28 IST 2009; Voodoo 2.0 Intel alpha3 :xnu-1228.12.14/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Jaguar

Can you tell me if this is compatible with soft raid that uses the "boot osx" partition

(Is this the automatic method of "[HowTo] EFI Partition Booting - Zero Modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better" thread?)
Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfoav8or View Post
first of all, I'm not saying I'm a know-it-all when it comes to this stuff... Just that I've been using it for a while and on a bunch of different (test) systems and (except for the first time doing it) haven't botched it. I've also been helping people install via this method via PM and have had a lot of positive results. All credit, of course, goes to munky (and those that helped him) though. I'm just the messenger who explains it a little more in depth and helps provide a few files.

chipset kexts are the biggest one (of course)... just make sure that any of the kexts you place in this partition don't have kexts within a sub-directory of itself as this tends to through it for a loop. Also, modified AppleHDA kexts don't want to work due to dependancies that aren't able to be linked properly from a separate partition.

the files I use with my system are: AppleDecrypt (or dsmos), AppleSMBIOSEFI, and Disabler (although I know the latest voodoo has support to blacklist IntelCPUPowerManagement)... as well as my AppleNForceATA chipset kext (which I use the Test variant for as it provides the best DVD support on my system). I also modify the com.apple.boot.plist file with an EFI string for my video card enabling it to work with the native NVDANV40Hal.kext file (post-Leopard_Graphics_Update).

I haven't had to include the System.kext file as I don't have an hiccups when I don't use corresponding kernel/kext versions except for seatbelt.kext. This is the only file I have to revert back to (native Apple file, just earlier version obtained from a downloaded update and saved).

does this help in any way? (or are you just messin' with me )
Thanks so much. I run the iPC 10.5.6 and have wanted to figure out what exact Kext I need for my system. I can figure out the ones that I explicitly installed (i.e. checked off during the customize install) but not the ones that are part of the "core system files" other than the voodoo kernel.

iPC 10.5.6 Lenovo ThinkCentre M41 Pentium D -- VooDoo Kernel 9.5.0 Audigy 2 ZS Works!!. 7600GT EFI String (EFI Studio!).Everything works (ethernet, SATA, USB, IDE drives).
Old 02-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Cheetah

Willing tester

If you still need a tester I can help out hopefully. I've been experimenting with several efi booting processes lately and tinkering with my 3 different installs (5.4 via Kaly, 5.5 & 5.6 Retail via DFE's) but I've got a extra HD I can put in a USB case and try this as well. Looks nice, clean and simple and a great step forward to painless maintenance and updates.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Cheetah

Sure... I have three systems that can go EFI Partition Boot

... two desktops and a laptop... Just let me know.

Ten2Pwr6
Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Cheetah

I would like to be a tester..

Hi i would definately like to be tester, this seems like a very promising project.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Jaguar

I'm interested in testing. I've been doing this the manual way for quite some time, but I would love to test this out.

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.