InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Cheetah

Hi all,

I am a kind of newbie on MaxOS but I wanted to install the Zephyroth Leopard 10.5.2 AMD on my PC.
I previously install with success Tiger, but I really want to install Leopard (it is what I have on my MacBookPro).
When I boot from the DVD using the -v option, it stops quickly with a kernel crashes about AppleNForceATA.
My config:
Motherboard: ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (SSE2)
RAM: 1.5GB DDR PC3200
CHIPSET: NFORCE3
HDD: 130Go IDE for XP, 700Go SATA for Data and 230Go SATA for MacOSX
VIDEO: NVIDIA QUADRO FX 2000 on AGP

Does the AppleNForceATA.kext is the right one for my config? Is it the last one or could I try to update it in my ISO?
Can I change something in the BIOS to prevent the crash?

Thanks for you help, KrisT@uF.

PS: by the way, any chance to have the FX 2000 working in dual-head? What driver should I use?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Jaguar

.... same with me:

<a href="http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=358&page=1#Item_0">ata</a>
Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Cheetah

Your problem is the NForceATA.kext.
I have a similar MB (KN8) and this is what worked for me.
Go to:

http://osx86.wikidot.com/known-issues#toc10

Following the instructions there, DELETE the AppleNForceATA.kext, rebuild ISO and reburn. When you get to the installer, DON'T choose the AppleNForceATA.kext under the drivers section. Choose the AppleVIAATA.kext and it should install nicesely.
If you can, set apart a small partition for restoring the DVD, that way you will not waste DVDs experimenting.
Good luck! :-D
Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Cheetah

what about nf4? on abit nf-m2s
Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Cheetah

Why don't you try replacing the AppleNforceATA.kext with the the AppleVIAATA.kext during installation as I suggested in my previous post?
Unfortunately I don't have a nforce4 chip MB, so you will have to try it out yourself.
Good luck! :-)

edit: that is, if you get to the installer...if you're not, try the whole procedure. I also read that the previous version of Medevil's AppleNforceATA.kext (1.0.2 I think) works. But i can't find it, so I can't confirm it works on my nforce3.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:37 AM
Puma

and how do you replace it during installation?

Quote:
[cite] maclinux:[/cite]Why don't you try replacing the AppleNforceATA.kext with the the AppleVIAATA.kext during installation as I suggested in my previous post?
Unfortunately I don't have a nforce4 chip MB, so you will have to try it out yourself.
Good luck! :-)
Old 02-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Cheetah

Easy, as I explained in my previous post: in the installer customization options under drivers you just uncheck AppleNforceATA option and check the AppleVIAATA option.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Puma

well no, you see. the AppleNforceATA is what is stopping us from even getting to an installer where we can make those selections.

when the system is booting up to get to the installation program it stops and gives the errors stated in my inital post.

it needs to be taken off of my install disk or i need to modify some script. a script that decides which kext should be used when encountering a system like mine. i need to make it load AppleViaATA, instead.

so like i said how do i swap out the AppleNforceATA (this has to be done before i can get to an installation screen.)
Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Cheetah

@maclinux

I am having similar startup problems with an MSI k8N-neo2 nforce3 chipset.

Right now I am trying to repackage extensions.mkext without AppleNforceATA, however the instructions in the wiki do not explain how to batch change the file permissions so that kextcache
will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally I had to add the line -a i386 to mkextunpack to get it to even unpack extensions, was this correct?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Tiger

You will have to unpack the Extensions.mkext to remove AppleNforce. There is a guide on the wiki that covers making a new one.

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.