Thread: Asus K50IN
View Single Post

Old 01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Jaguar

Running in 32-bit mode ... finally!

For a really long time since I have been using my HackBook, I was not able to run in 32-bit mode, because my system will hang.

With the new updated BIOS 221, I am having some luck with the system, because it boots and works, even if I don't use a patched DSDT.
So, I started messing around, and noticed, that it is the graphics which blocks the hack from booting in 64-bit mode.

Now, I'm using HDAEnabler ... again, in addition to NVEnabler to get the proper video acceleration and sound.

So here is the summary:
  1. No DSDT is used currently, thus using the default that came with the BIOS 221.
  2. No Graphics Enabler, and certainly no NVidia DSDT patch.
  3. Video provided by NVEnabler, audio provided by AsusK50IN and HDAEnabler.
  4. ... running in 32-bit mode
Some advantages of the 32-bit mode:
  • Lots of drivers out there, especially commercial ones (like the Paragon NTFS driver) are only available in 32-bit mode
  • Much more stable in many ways, for instance, you crash when you use dummynet (bandwidth throttling integrated in Mac OS X) in 64-bit mode
  • Real Mac are also running in 32-bit modes, so you get closer to real

ASUS X5DIN-SX176C (K50IN motherboard) / Intel Core 2 Duo T9900 @ 3.06 GHz x 2 / nVidia GeForce G102M 512 MB / 15.6" HD LED / 320 GB + 1 TB / 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 / OS X 10.6.8 Vanilla