PDA

View Full Version : [GUIDE] EVGA X58 Snow Leopard Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567) Installation

Pages : 1 [2] 3

airwalk776
06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
http://www.kexts.com/view/405-binary_patched_applehda.kext_for_alc889_(mac_os_x_ 10.6.4).html

FabricioGS
06-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Updated to 10.6.4 using combo updater and also lost sound. Updated AppleHDA.kext using the above link and it's all 100% now, the best update I ever did in my hackint0sh.

I noticed a small improvement on OpenGL comparing my numbers with Xbench, but now I'll run some games on steam to see if I can find any real difference.

JaE-V
06-23-2010, 09:16 PM
just checkin in guys, good to see everyone updated ok...i had to do some manual changes with my raid partitions but all is well

SpyderWeiss
06-24-2010, 04:27 AM
Hi guys!

I've been trying for a week and half now to get Snow Leopard (10.6.4) fully working, but have had no success. I'm using a similar setup to everyone here:

EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1
6GB OCZ 1600 RAM
EVGA GTX 295 CO-OP EDITION

I've been trying to use the iBoot + Multibeast method, has anyone had any success with this? I've tried using the guide here and I have got to the point where either I can get sound working, but it doesn't see my CDROM drive, or I can get my CDROM drive working, but no sound. I'd like to create my own dsdt to see if that would help, but it seems like the link for the software to do this in post 1 is broken. Can anyone assist? What do you need to know to help me?

Thanks!

SpyderWeiss
06-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Okay so I've got some of the sound ports working. I have no audio out in the front, and no optical out in the back. Ill post my dsdt and screenshots when I get home from work.

SpyderWeiss
06-25-2010, 06:40 AM
Okay here they are:

SpyderWeiss
06-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Okay, so I've got all the ports in the back working, I just need to get my headphones in the front working and I'll be great! Any ideas?

rdbram
07-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Hey guys, well this is my first post and my first attempt at a hackintosh. Pretty big problem though: my hard drive won't boot.

Followed the instructions in the guide verbatim, generated my EFI string for my card, installed CHAMELEON RC4 to my EFI following their guide, etc.

The one thing I noticed that seemed blatantly different from the start though, was that post-snow leo install on the drive, there was no pre-existing Extra folder or boot file.

I downloaded msf5042's posted boot file on page 2 I believe, and put it in the root directory as he mentioned. Still won't boot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: Hardware-
EVGA X58 SLI
nVidia GeForce GTX 260
6 GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Intel Core i7 - 920

rdbram
07-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Turns out it was a Chameleon issue. It boots, but fails on trying to go into mac. In -v I get the error

USMBSC Identifier (non-unique): 18E3312D81B0 0x18e3 0x9101 0x0
Still waiting for root device
Still waiting for root device

and it just goes on like that. I've made user my UUID was correct in both .plist's, and I made sure the kexts were up to date. Attempted booting without the Platform UUID kext to no avail.

UPDATE
More extensive forums/google searches and a couple hours of trial and error worked everything out. System is now running great on 10.6.2 with ethernets working with the realtek kext and sound working using the 10.6.2 AppleHDA. :D VoodooHDA caused kernel panic.

Would love to see my wireless card working, D-Link DWA-556. Have yet to find a kext for it.

Also wanted to thank you guys for the guide and the audo/lan fixes!

javery
07-08-2010, 04:50 AM
I'm new to all of this, but am slowly making progress.

I've got Vista on one hard drive. If I change the BIOS settings back to IDE and set the hard drive that Vista is on to be run from first, I can load up Vista without trouble.

When I change the settings over to AHCI (ENABLE, ENABLE, AHCI MODE + IDE, AHCI MODE), and switch it to start from the second drive on which I have Snow Leopard, I get Chameleon to give me the options of Snow Leopard or NTFS. If I choose Snow Leopard, I've now got it to the point where it loads up.

The problem that I have is that if I select NTFS when I get the Chameleon option screen, it starts up with the Vista booting screen, but after a few seconds I get a blue screen for a fraction of a second, the computer restarts, and CMOS resets.

Any suggestions for how I can get Chameleon to also load up NTFS properly?

JaysFreaky
07-10-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm new to all of this, but am slowly making progress.

I've got Vista on one hard drive. If I change the BIOS settings back to IDE and set the hard drive that Vista is on to be run from first, I can load up Vista without trouble.

When I change the settings over to AHCI (ENABLE, ENABLE, AHCI MODE + IDE, AHCI MODE), and switch it to start from the second drive on which I have Snow Leopard, I get Chameleon to give me the options of Snow Leopard or NTFS. If I choose Snow Leopard, I've now got it to the point where it loads up.

The problem that I have is that if I select NTFS when I get the Chameleon option screen, it starts up with the Vista booting screen, but after a few seconds I get a blue screen for a fraction of a second, the computer restarts, and CMOS resets.

Any suggestions for how I can get Chameleon to also load up NTFS properly?
Sounds like you installed Vista through IDE mode. You're going to have to install the AHCI drivers back in Windows. Switch to IDE mode again and install the drivers using the following guide. Once you have them installed, you can switch back to ACHI and not have to worry about both OS's.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

javery
07-10-2010, 03:52 AM
Perfect, thank you! Worked like a charm.

JaysFreaky
07-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Not a problem!

On another note, does anyone have a guide to get audio working from 10.6.2 to 10.6.4? I'm currently running 10.6.2 using LegacyHDA and VoodooHDA to get audio working, but as soon as I go to 10.6.4 audio is broken and I can't seem to get it working. Any ideas?

JaysFreaky
07-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Just wanted to update you guys and let you know I got it working by updating my BIOS to the newest version. Removed Voodoo and got it work with just AppleHDA and LegacyHDA. Upgraded to 10.6.4 and it broke, but then used the above kext and it's working again. Thanks!

Rino777
07-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Upload please latest DSDT.aml for EXGA X58 3-Way Classifield?

JaysFreaky
07-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm using the DSDT from this post: http://osx86.net/f57/guide-evga-x58-snow-leopard-10-6-2-t3854/post49055.html

Rino777
07-21-2010, 11:51 AM
JaysFreaky
On this DSDT - sleep working, all device working?
How kext u use in E/E ?

JaysFreaky
08-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure about sleep. I don't use it, so it doesn't bother me. Otherwise, everything else is working.

For E/E, I have:
AHCIPortInjector, fakesmc, FramebufferDisabler, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, JMicronATA, LegacyAppleRTC_32bit_Only, LegacyHDA, NullCPUPowerManagement, NVGTX295.Fix, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID and R1000SL

kup
08-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Jay, are you using that DSDT on a Classified or a 3Way SLI board?

JaysFreaky
08-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm running it on EVGA E760 Classified 3-Way SLI. The model is 141-BL-E760-A1.

kup
08-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Cool. Have you managed to get it working without NullCPUPower kext? I've built my own DSDT from scratch but I just can't get it to support native power management (and therefore sleep :( ).

Jocelyn84
08-08-2010, 09:43 AM
I just picked up a Classified and have everything working with 10.6.4, but I can't get dual cards working on this board. I edited PEG1 and PEG2 when I had a Gigabyte P55A-UD4P and it worked flawlessly, but the same thing isn't working with this board. I even changed ADR, 0x00050000 to ADR, 0x00070000 and ADR, 0x00090000 due the Evga having a different layout, but I can't get into the OS while powering two cards(Using PCIe 1 and 3 of course).

Here's the edit I used, that worked with my UD4P. Just wondering if anyone's running dual cards on an Evga X58 board. Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, I got both GTX 260's working with Aquamac's dual card GFX string method!

airwalk776
08-11-2010, 02:06 PM
if anyone is interested in optical out audio

the legacyhda file here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1686&start=0
along with the vanilla applehda.kext from 10.6.2 works great

and no popping when sound is initialized
works great

AirWalk

BTW I am running 10.6.4 on EVGA x58 SLI board. ( the audio chipset is a 889a)

Jocelyn84
08-11-2010, 08:11 PM
if anyone is interested in optical out audio

the legacyhda file here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1686&start=0
along with the vanilla applehda.kext from 10.6.2 works great

and no popping when sound is initialized
works great

AirWalk

BTW I am running 10.6.4 on EVGA x58 SLI board. ( the audio chipset is a 889a)

This is what I used to get my Classified working. I used Tony's iboot for installation, but picked up the DSDT and Extra folder from this thread.
Thanks to all the contributors of this thread for making my installation so easy!!

kup
08-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Has anyone managed to boot without having to delete AppleTYMCEDriver.kext?

xxxslayeriiixxx
08-17-2010, 08:50 AM
my bad guys for not updating the thread yet. i want to update it as soon as i get 3 TB of space, im a little short on the money. i actually baught a MacBook Pro, starting my first year in a university in a few days.

For people who want to update to 10.6.4, just skim through the pages and you'll get it. Good Luck!

xxxslayeriiixxx
08-17-2010, 09:07 AM
if anyone has any interesting/important info just message me what to add on the IMPORTANT NOTES. well i just updated the thread, but i havnt actually updated my system yet.

and Airwalk thx alot for helping the community, and also thx to fellow members who helped.

oyah one more thing, does SLEEP work on 10.6.4?

airwalk776
08-25-2010, 03:37 PM
xxxslayeriiixxx

Not a problem any time.

Ok now most of us have our systems running fairly well these days. but I would like to tweak it little more. Have anyone been able to get navtive speedstep to work with dsdt and removing disabler and null cpu power.kext

If how how has this effected your temperature.

Anything else that can be done with the dsdt with our system to optimize it?

thanks

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-06-2010, 04:07 AM
anyone here have a GTX 480 working? 'cause im planning on buying one.

FabricioGS
09-06-2010, 05:15 AM
Anyone here have a 5870 working? I'm replacing my old 4870 but OSX stopped working :/

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-07-2010, 01:33 AM
i guess, netkas' bios will help you with the 5870 http://netkas.org/ . im just going to splurge on the GTX 480, it sucks though that i cant have a vanilla system anymore when i intall it.

nrnoble
09-12-2010, 11:10 PM
i guess, netkas' bios will help you with the 5870 http://netkas.org/ . im just going to splurge on the GTX 480, it sucks though that i cant have a vanilla system anymore when i intall it.

xxxslayeriiixxx, did you get the GTX 480 working with OSX? If so, can you point to some info that might help me out. I have a GTX 480, but can't get OSX 10.6.4 to work with the card installed.

I have OSX 10.6.4 working with a Nvidia 7300GS. System fails to boot when I put in the GTX 480. During boot, the system hangs when the NVEnabler tries to identifiy the video card.

Edit: subscribing to thread.

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Download this and install the drivers.

http://s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/aquamac%20Fermi%2010.6.5%20Fix.zip (http://s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/aquamac%20Fermi%2010.6.5%20Fix.zip)

*REMEMBER TO DO CUSTOM INSTALL and deselect the sound kext in the options

Generate the your GFX string here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=77315

registration required for download.

What i did -
1. install drivers using aquamacs installer (deselect sound kext in the installtion)
2. turn off computer
3. Took out old 9800gt
4. plugged in gtx480
5. booted up - resolution is not full
6. Generated GFX string
7. Put generated GFX string on my .plist
8. added graphics enabler line on my .plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

9. restarted, fully working

Notes - CUDA not supported, the thing where i was disappointed because i was looking for the compatibility of Mercury playback in Adobe PP Cs5. But other than that, its fully working. Played star-craft 2 in ultra settings lol

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-13-2010, 12:06 AM
takeout old nvdia injectors in extra folder or system extensions folder before you do the install if you used one

nrnoble
09-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks... I will give it a try. Can you explain why sound needs to be disabled? Reason I asked is because when I finally got sound to work with the 7200GS, it networking stop working and I can't figure out why.

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
sound doesnt need to be disabled in the system, you just need to deselect the sound kext that is going to be installed from Aqua macs installer.

Im assuming you have an EVGA x58 motherboard since your in my thread because the sound kext is available in my tutorial (step 9) that works with 10.6.4. thats why you dont need the kext on the installer

airwalk776
09-17-2010, 06:19 PM
First of credit for this goes to msinfo_us. He has spent many hours on getting this to work correctly (still more to be done but this a great start) so please thank him for his hard work.

What has been achieved:
removal of nullcpupower kext will provide native speedstep and power management.
C-states
Turbo function support
lower cpu temps
higher over clock
and result is better benchmarks results. Run geekbench 64 bit before starting so you have a idea of what your score is.

MSinfo and I have mostly the same system specs.
EVGA x58 SLI motherboard
intel 920 i7 ( I can OC to 3.80 and MSinfo is at 4.1 on air cooled system only because he has a better batch )
we both have a V8 coolermaster.
Same OCZ platium RAM 6 gig
I have two EVGA 9800 GTX+ running 3 monitors
MSinfo has a GTX 260 running two monitors

First thing we found was BIOS version is very important if you want to continue any further you must be running BIOS E758_SZ2Z. If you don't know how to flash your bios don't bother reading this post any more. After flashing don't load bios setting from memory enter the settings manually. BIos settings should be similar to what you had before the flash but you should enable HPET 64bit and speedster and CxE function to C1E. Don't forget the AHCI needs to be enabled. reload to make sure it works correctly before continuing before adding anything else.

The reason for this version is because anything later supports the 6 core CPU and that is giving a KP when using native power management.

Also you will need Chameleon RC 5 build 498 install this and reboot to make sure it works correctly before adding anything else.

A new DSDT with the following fixes: AppleLPC, RTC, HDEF Audio, PIC, TMR, Power Button and smcbus. This dsdt is for the EVGA x58 SLI and i7920 Chip if you have any other combination you will need to generate your own and patch DSDT file. Place the dsdt in the root of the boot drive.

Two SSDT files which are for the EVGA x58 SLI and i7920 Chip if you have any other combination you will need to generate your own SSDT files. place all the ssdt files in the /extra folder

The extra /extension folder contains: AHCIPortinjector, AppleUpStreamClientDisabler, FakeSMC, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjecotr, IONetworkFamily, JMicronATA, and Legacy889HDA. (with this Legacy889HDA file you need to run the AppleHDA.kext form 10.6.2 and place it in /S/L/E)

com.apple.Boot.plist edit this with your GFX string as needed.

smbios.plist, we have changed our mac model from mac pro 4,1 to imac11,1 this will yield a better match to our hardware. And geekbench test confirm using imac11,1 which should increase your score by 500-1000 points.

reboot and cross your fingers .

After rebooting you should see a drop in idle temps. and run geekbench 64 bit and your will should see an increase in your scorer.

Good Luck and let us know your results so we can tweak this even more to make it better.

http://rapidshare.com/files/419636470/no-nullcpu-9-17-2010.zip
MD5: 3B93C9D566CB6AA0679751B4F55B61B5

msinfo_us
09-18-2010, 06:36 AM
Few more details and updates to Airwalk776 message above. You should find all files needed attached here for fresh install/update to make your system run with native power management, turbo, sound and such.

All credit goes to OS X community and many developers who found these fixes in a first place. I only tested, modified as needed and applied them to my system.

With this method you can use C2RC5 or C2RC4 by AsereBLN (both are attached here with RC4 part of Multibeast). Both of them will give you the same results with RC5 setting memory and such dynamically, RC5 can generate your CStaes table automatically and RC4 is easier at least for me to control manually. Choose any one you like.

Like Airwalk said already update your BIOS (load defaults before and after update than enter your settings manually). BIOS update iso image is attached as well.

Install C2.

There is a copy of my dsdt in aml and dsl format attached. SSDT - 2 tables you are going to need are included as well.

Or generate your own SSDT tables (strongly recommend) in Windows or Linux and convert them to aml files.

I like to use DSDTSE when working with aml/dsl files (attached)

I use IORegExplore to check status, look for data and etc. (attached)

PS I know it is being said many time but I am going to say it again. Depending on your HW this might or might not work for you. I advice to generate your own DSDT and SSDT files and use this guide to make changes. I did try to keep my DSDT and SSDT files as generic as possible so.

If you decide to use my files attached at the very list you WILL have to change EFI string for GTX 260 Video board I have in com.apple.boot.plist.

To generate your own DSDT start without DSDT.aml (you'll need NullCPUPower.kext in e/e) and generate your DSDT using DSDT GUI or DSDTSE.

You will need to make the following DSDT changes:

Add DTGP method

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
}))
{
If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
{
If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
{
Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x03
}, Arg4)
Return (One)
}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
{
Return (One)
}
}
}

Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x00
}, Arg4)
Return (Zero)
}

PIC, TMR, RTC - remove IRQNoFlags section. PIC and TMR to fix Audio stuttering.

Device (TMR)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0100"))
Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0040, // Range Minimum
0x0040, // Range Maximum
0x01, // Alignment
0x04, // Length
)
})
}

Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x04, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
})
}

Device (PIC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0000"))
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0020, // Range Minimum
0x0020, // Range Maximum
0x01, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
IO (Decode16,
0x00A0, // Range Minimum
0x00A0, // Range Maximum
0x01, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
})
}

Audio 889 fix - rename AZAL to Device HDEF and c/p

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x0D,
0x05
})
}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x0A)
{
"built-in",
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
},

"codec-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
},

"layout-id",
/**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
{
0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
},

"device-type",
Buffer (0x0F)
{
"Realtek ALC889"
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

Fix AppleLPC (needed for Apple CPU Power)
Please NOTE: AppleLPC.kext will give you the 'Automatic restart after power failure' option in power savings. This option needs to be checked for sleep!

PS While sleep is fully working I advice to check your temps if you decide to use it. This has nothing to do with our MAC and everything to do with our EVGA MB. You can read all about it on EVGA forum.

Device (LPCB)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}

Fix AppleHPET (needed for Apple CPU Power)

Device (HPET)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
Name (ATT3, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IRQNoFlags ()
{0}
IRQNoFlags ()
{8}
Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
0xFED00000, // Address Base
0x00000400, // Address Length
)
})
Name (ATT4, ResourceTemplate ()
{
})
Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (0x0F)
}

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (ATT3)
}
}

To allow Power button to put computer to sleep

Device (PWRB)
{
Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C")) //Activate Power Button
{
Return (0x0B)
}
}

Compile your dsdt.aml. Remove NullCpuPower, disabler, VoodooPower or anything else power management related if you had it before or just copy e/e and s/l/e files from my package, fix permitions/mkext (you can use attached kextutility) and restart.

To confirm speedstep is working properly, use ioreg to look at IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/CPU0@0/AppleACPICPU/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin. You will see CState's CSTinfo and PState's PerformanceStateArray 10 States (0-9 for i920 more for i9x0) PState Table. CPUPLmit 0x0 and CSTInfo 0x1240105.
About P-State table and SSDT files. You can change the multiplier, volts, frequency, conditions when to change from one state to another in SSDT to any way you want (Ex: aggressive on performance or power savings) but this is an entire separate subject to discuss.

Run benchmark and enjoy higher performance and lower temps.

I also like the fact that I should be upgrade worry free with these changes and have only few extra kexts in my setup, FakeSMC being the only one needed to boot - almost 100% vanila but there is still an opportunity for improvement :) .
GL.

http://rapidshare.com/files/419724474/EVGA_x58_SLI_i920_SZ2Z.zip
MD5: D8B8F6902A6B2CBAB4D61A79DA382C7B

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-18-2010, 10:42 PM
you guys are awesome! definitely lower temps with my 4.0ghz overclock. using thermalright ultra 120

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-18-2010, 11:35 PM
anybody here dual boot windows 7? im getting tired of a slow workflow with video editing. i want to take advantage of mercury playback with my gtx480. if anyone here has a dual boot, how you do it? using chameleon

airwalk776
09-19-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't dual boot but if it did the easiest way would be two hard drives and use bios to select boot drive by pressing escape at boot.

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-19-2010, 07:32 AM
ill guess ill go that route, so ill have no problems with chameleon. airwalk do you have sleep working?

msinfo_us
09-19-2010, 05:01 PM
If you are using same BIOS, dsdt and ssdt files Airwalk and I are using than sleep should be working. You need to enable S3 option in a BIOS, all/any C options (C1E or C6 are the ones I tried). Computer goes to deep sleep and wakes up fine. However I don't use sleep. My MB version is 1.0 and after several sleep/wake events I see my temps going up. You can read all about it on EVGA forums. It is a well known issue that EVGA still failed to fix after numerous BIOS upgrades. People with MB v.1.1 reported mixed results - S3 working for some but not all. People who have Virtualization disabled/don't use it seem to have better luck with double pumping issues and sleep.

JaE-V
09-20-2010, 06:08 AM
anybody here dual boot windows 7? im getting tired of a slow workflow with video editing. i want to take advantage of mercury playback with my gtx480. if anyone here has a dual boot, how you do it? using chameleon

I personally had to use windows as the default loader, install easyBCD and add EFI Apple to the plist, think its more friendly to MBR mac installations.

Few more details and updates to Airwalk776 message above. You should find all files needed attached here for fresh install/update to make your system run with native power management, turbo, sound and such.

All credit goes to OS X community and many developers who found these fixes in a first place. I only tested, modified as needed and applied them to my system.

With this method you can use C2RC5 or C2RC4 by AsereBLN (both are attached here with RC4 part of Multibeast). Both of them will give you the same results with RC5 setting memory and such dynamically, RC5 can generate your CStaes table automatically and RC4 is easier at least for me to control manually. Choose any one you like.

Like Airwalk said already update your BIOS (load defaults before and after update than enter your settings manually). BIOS update iso image is attached as well.

Install C2.

There is a copy of my dsdt in aml and dsl format attached. SSDT - 2 tables you are going to need are included as well.

Or generate your own SSDT tables (strongly recommend) in Windows or Linux and convert them to aml files.

I like to use DSDTSE when working with aml/dsl files (attached)

I use IORegExplore to check status, look for data and etc. (attached)

PS I know it is being said many time but I am going to say it again. Depending on your HW this might or might not work for you. I advice to generate your own DSDT and SSDT files and use this guide to make changes. I did try to keep my DSDT and SSDT files as generic as possible so.

If you decide to use my files attached at the very list you WILL have to change EFI string for GTX 260 Video board I have in com.apple.boot.plist.

To generate your own DSDT start without DSDT.aml (you'll need NullCPUPower.kext in e/e) and generate your DSDT using DSDT GUI or DSDTSE.

You will need to make the following DSDT changes:

Add DTGP method

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
}))
{
If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
{
If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
{
Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x03
}, Arg4)
Return (One)
}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
{
Return (One)
}
}
}

Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x00
}, Arg4)
Return (Zero)
}

PIC, TMR, RTC - remove IRQNoFlags section. PIC and TMR to fix Audio stuttering.

Device (TMR)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0100"))
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0040, // Range Minimum
0x0040, // Range Maximum
0x01, // Alignment
0x04, // Length
)
})
}

Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x04, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
})
}

Device (PIC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0000"))
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0020, // Range Minimum
0x0020, // Range Maximum
0x01, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
IO (Decode16,
0x00A0, // Range Minimum
0x00A0, // Range Maximum
0x01, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
})
}

Audio 889 fix - rename AZAL to Device HDEF and c/p

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x0D,
0x05
})
}

{
Store (Package (0x0A)
{
"built-in",
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
},

"codec-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
},

"layout-id",
/**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
{
0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
},

"device-type",
Buffer (0x0F)
{
"Realtek ALC889"
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Fix AppleLPC (needed for Apple CPU Power)
Please NOTE: AppleLPC.kext will give you the 'Automatic restart after power failure' option in power savings. This option needs to be checked for sleep!

PS While sleep is fully working I advice to check your temps if you decide to use it. This has nothing to do with our MAC and everything to do with our EVGA MB. You can read all about it on EVGA forum.

Device (LPCB)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}

Fix AppleHPET (needed for Apple CPU Power)

Device (HPET)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
Name (ATT3, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IRQNoFlags ()
{0}
IRQNoFlags ()
{8}
Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
0xFED00000, // Address Base
0x00000400, // Address Length
)
})
Name (ATT4, ResourceTemplate ()
{
})
{
Return (0x0F)
}

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (ATT3)
}
}

To allow Power button to put computer to sleep

Device (PWRB)
{
Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C")) //Activate Power Button
{
Return (0x0B)
}
}

Compile your dsdt.aml. Remove NullCpuPower, disabler, VoodooPower or anything else power management related if you had it before or just copy e/e and s/l/e files from my package, fix permitions/mkext (you can use attached kextutility) and restart.

To confirm speedstep is working properly, use ioreg to look at IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/CPU0@0/AppleACPICPU/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin. You will see CState's CSTinfo and PState's PerformanceStateArray 10 States (0-9 for i920 more for i9x0) PState Table. CPUPLmit 0x0 and CSTInfo 0x1240105.
About P-State table and SSDT files. You can change the multiplier, volts, frequency, conditions when to change from one state to another in SSDT to any way you want (Ex: aggressive on performance or power savings) but this is an entire separate subject to discuss.

Run benchmark and enjoy higher performance and lower temps.

I also like the fact that I should be upgrade worry free with these changes and have only few extra kexts in my setup, FakeSMC being the only one needed to boot - almost 100% vanila but there is still an opportunity for improvement :) .
GL.

http://rapidshare.com/files/419724474/EVGA_x58_SLI_i920_SZ2Z.zip
MD5: D8B8F6902A6B2CBAB4D61A79DA382C7B

Sleep functioning yet with the power-management fixes? i would get a new card but there is nothing my 285 can't handle

JaE-V
09-20-2010, 06:17 AM
ill guess ill go that route, so ill have no problems with chameleon. airwalk do you have sleep working?

I had to reinstall windows to get AHCI mode working correctly (ahci sata drivers)....seems like mac doesn't like AHCI-IDE mode, i have to adjust the switch to AHCI-AHCI mode whenever i want to switch between the two in bios

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-20-2010, 07:36 AM
So for overclockers in here, what do you guys use to stress the CPU if its stable or not?
i just type this "yes > /dev/null" in terminal. like 15 terminal windows. i dont know if its an accurate way of stabilizing the overclock, but ive had no problems so far. i top out at 63C full load 4.0 GHz. i mainly use the hackintosh for video editing (8TB of HDD) which only tops around 50C when rendering videos. idling at 28C btw. varies from 26-30C depending on ambient temp.

georgegeorge
09-20-2010, 11:46 AM
----------

airwalk776
09-20-2010, 09:51 PM
So for overclockers in here, what do you guys use to stress the CPU if its stable or not?
i just type this "yes > /dev/null" in terminal. like 15 terminal windows. i dont know if its an accurate way of stabilizing the overclock, but ive had no problems so far. i top out at 63C full load 4.0 GHz. i mainly use the hackintosh for video editing (8TB of HDD) which only tops around 50C when rendering videos. idling at 28C btw. varies from 26-30C depending on ambient temp.

I personally use mprime95 I think MSInfo does also
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Your Temps look at par with ours
A smart friend of mine once told me the i7 has an internal thermal max/throttle down point of 102 degrees.

thanks

banini_jeque
09-26-2010, 12:45 AM
I just bought the new EVGA X58 SLI 3, so I guess I'm screwed on native power management for now because it has 6 core support in the first bios. Should I try using one of the older bioses from one of the other boards? If someone got the power management kexts from a new Mac Pro, would that work? Will the 10.6.5 update include a power management kext that will work?

Also, I can't seem to get sound to work. I've tried all kinds of different Legacy kexts including the one from airwalk667's extra folder, along with the hdef section from his DSDT and a stock 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext. I can see the list of outputs and stuff in Apple System Profiler, but theres nothing in the Sound preference pane. Maybe the SLI 3 has a different codec than the ALC 889a? What should I do? lspci gives me 8086:3a3e for the device id, and although I know that's different than the codec id or whatever, I saw that id associated with the ALC1200 in a number of searches. Basically, I don't know how to find out which ALC I have.

EDIT: Crud, figured out how to get it from Linux, looks like I have ALC892. :( Maybe I should return this SLI 3 and get something else. :(

Thanks!

BTW I'm not a total noob. I started out on a EP45-DS3L, I was a pioneer on the Zotac IONITX-G-E, I've done an ASUS P6T SE, G41-ES2L, and even an old AsRock P4i65g. Just wanted to put that out there to let people know that for the most part I know what I'm doing, and they don't think I'm a noob.

JaE-V
09-26-2010, 01:17 AM
I just bought the new EVGA X58 SLI 3, so I guess I'm screwed on native power management for now because it has 6 core support in the first bios. Should I try using one of the older bioses from one of the other boards? If someone got the power management kexts from a new Mac Pro, would that work? Will the 10.6.5 update include a power management kext that will work?

Also, I can't seem to get sound to work. I've tried all kinds of different Legacy kexts including the one from airwalk667's extra folder, along with the hdef section from his DSDT and a stock 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext. I can see the list of outputs and stuff in Apple System Profiler, but theres nothing in the Sound preference pane. Maybe the SLI 3 has a different codec than the ALC 889a? What should I do? lspci gives me 8086:3a3e for the device id, and although I know that's different than the codec id or whatever, I saw that id associated with the ALC1200 in a number of searches. Basically, I don't know how to find out which ALC I have.

EDIT: Crud, figured out how to get it from Linux, looks like I have ALC892. :( Maybe I should return this SLI 3 and get something else. :(

Thanks!

BTW I'm not a total noob. I started out on a EP45-DS3L, I was a pioneer on the Zotac IONITX-G-E, I've done an ASUS P6T SE, G41-ES2L, and even an old AsRock P4i65g. Just wanted to put that out there to let people know that for the most part I know what I'm doing, and they don't think I'm a noob.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186046&cm_re=usb_audio_adapter-_-12-186-046-_-Product

no more audio issues! lol frys has them too :D out the box

banini_jeque
09-26-2010, 02:23 AM
Actually, I just got it working with voodoohda 2.56. I had tried 2.60 or 2.61 (forget which, whichever one is in MultiBeast) and it didn't work at all. It made one of the SMC kexts KP on boot. Anyway I'm pretty happy with 2.56. Sound in and all that works great. Hopefully I can figure out how to make a disabler for AppleHDA so I don't have to carefully remove it in the future. Or, hopefully a future AppleHDA will support ALC892.

Now for power management... Maybe I'll sneak into a place that sells Mac Pros with a thumb drive and copy the power management kexts when no one is looking.

frishen
09-27-2010, 03:46 AM
Hi airwalk776 and msinfo_us,

Thank you guys so much for all the works!

I've managed to get sleep working with the files attached on page 24. But I noticed that the usb ports of my computer wouldn't work after waking up. I can actually wake up the computer by clicking mouse or pressing the power button, but once the computer is back on, the usb no longer works. I used my usb flash drive to test it, it seemed that the usb had no power after waking up.

Also, how should I set up the power management in the bios? I'm now using S3 with HPET 64bit enabled. It seems OK to me except for the usb issue.

Do you guys know how to fix it? Thanks again!

banini_jeque
09-27-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm having one other problem: System Profiler is reporting my graphics as x8. I only have one card (EVGA GTX 260) and it's in the first slot, although I do have a firewire card in the third full length slot.

msinfo_us
09-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi airwalk776 and msinfo_us,

Thank you guys so much for all the works!

I've managed to get sleep working with the files attached on page 24. But I noticed that the usb ports of my computer wouldn't work after waking up. I can actually wake up the computer by clicking mouse or pressing the power button, but once the computer is back on, the usb no longer works. I used my usb flash drive to test it, it seemed that the usb had no power after waking up.

Also, how should I set up the power management in the bios? I'm now using S3 with HPET 64bit enabled. It seems OK to me except for the usb issue.

Do you guys know how to fix it? Thanks again!

Hmm ... I think I saw my external USB HD's after waking up from sleep but I am not 100% sure since I am not using sleep due to temps going higher after going to sleep multiple times.
You can try the following fix for your USB:

Change ID of USB devices to fake ICH10-R.
Device (USB0)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB1)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0001)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x35, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB2)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0002)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x36, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB4)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x37, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB5)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0001)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x38, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB6)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0002)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x39, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Please let us know if it worked for you and if not I think there is one more fix we can try.

I'm having one other problem: System Profiler is reporting my graphics as x8. I only have one card (EVGA GTX 260) and it's in the first slot, although I do have a firewire card in the third full length slot.

The video section is not part of the DSDT posted here (not yet anyway :) I was planning to do it just did not get around to it yet). I use GFX string in my com.boot.apple for grafics for now. Perhaps you might want to check it http://osx86.co/f19/guide-geforce-gtx-260-in-snow-leopard-t4057/ . Did you try removing firewire card to see if it will make any difference?

BTW I have the same EVGA GTX 260 video card so you can try my GFX string to see if it will fix it (look at my com.boot.apple on page 24).

frishen
09-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Hmm ... I think I saw my external USB HD's after waking up from sleep but I am not 100% sure since I am not using sleep due to temps going higher after going to sleep multiple times.
You can try the following fix for your USB:

Change ID of USB devices to fake ICH10-R.
Device (USB0)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB1)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0001)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x35, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB2)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0002)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x36, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB4)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x37, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB5)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0001)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x38, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB6)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0002)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x39, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Please let us know if it worked for you and if not I think there is one more fix we can try.

The video section is not part of the DSDT posted here (not yet anyway :) I was planning to do it just did not get around to it yet). I use GFX string in my com.boot.apple for grafics for now. Perhaps you might want to check it http://osx86.co/f19/guide-geforce-gtx-260-in-snow-leopard-t4057/ . Did you try removing firewire card to see if it will make any difference?

BTW I have the same EVGA GTX 260 video card so you can try my GFX string to see if it will fix it (look at my com.boot.apple on page 24).

Thanks! I will give it a try!

banini_jeque
09-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Yeah I tried taking out the firewire card and it's still reporting as x8. I had the same card in my old EP45-DS3L using GraphicsEnabler=yes and it showed as x16 on there. Maybe I need to reset my bios?

msinfo_us
09-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks! I will give it a try! Cool. Please let us know results. I've got no way to test this right now (I am at work) but to make it easer for you I compiled device (USBx) section for you to try. You should be able to just copy/paste and give it a shot. GL

Device (USB0)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
{
0x03,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB1)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0001)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x04,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x35, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB2)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0002)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x0C,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x36, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB3)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x0E,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x37, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB4)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0001)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x05,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x38, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB5)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0002)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x20,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x39, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

msinfo_us
09-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Yeah I tried taking out the firewire card and it's still reporting as x8. I had the same card in my old EP45-DS3L using GraphicsEnabler=yes and it showed as x16 on there. Maybe I need to reset my bios? I checked and my card def shows as PCIe x16. The only setting in BIOS I use Video related is video card = PCIe instead of PCI. Everything else in that section as default. Can you tell a little bit more about your system? Bios version, r u using same dsdt posted on page 24, kexts, GFX string, which bootloader, any other cards?

banini_jeque
09-29-2010, 05:45 AM
I reset my bios and it still says x8.

There's only one bios for the SLI 3, and thats 74 I believe.
I've got C2RC5 as the bootloader and graphicsenabler=yes (no strings or anything)
I'm not using the DSDT from page 24, but I suppose I'll give it a try.
I've got these extensions in /E/E
AHCIPortInjector
fakesmc
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
JMicronATA
NullCPUPowerManagement
OpenHaltRestart
PlatformUUID
SleepEnabler

and then in /S/L/E I have VoodooHDA

Everything else is stock. I had a firewire card in the third x16/x8 slot at first, but I took it out and like I said it still says x8 after resetting the bios too. No other cards installed. I'll give that page 24 DSDT a shot.

msinfo_us
09-29-2010, 01:23 PM
I reset my bios and it still says x8.

There's only one bios for the SLI 3, and thats 74 I believe.
I've got C2RC5 as the bootloader and graphicsenabler=yes (no strings or anything)
I'm not using the DSDT from page 24, but I suppose I'll give it a try.
I've got these extensions in /E/E
AHCIPortInjector
fakesmc
JMicronATA
NullCPUPowerManagement
OpenHaltRestart
PlatformUUID
SleepEnabler

and then in /S/L/E I have VoodooHDA

Everything else is stock. I had a firewire card in the third x16/x8 slot at first, but I took it out and like I said it still says x8 after resetting the bios too. No other cards installed. I'll give that page 24 DSDT a shot.Before you do anything else try to disable graphicsenabler and try GFX string.

banini_jeque
09-29-2010, 07:08 PM
I dunno, I can't find a GFX string for it, and almost everyone else I've read who're using the GTX 260 are using GraphicsEnabler and it works perfect. That's what I used before on my old motherboard and it said x16. I ran nvclock and it says I'm "Current Rate: 8X, Maximum Rate: 16X". So, I think it's either my card, or it's some issue with the 10.6.4 drivers like some people have mentioned. I tried using LegacyAGPM and set up an iMac11,1 section with the GTX 260 section from the real AGPM's MacPro4,1 section, and it hasn't made a difference. It actually does seem like the card is running in power save mode all the time. If a launch a game, nvclock still says 300Mhz, when I should be at 626 right? At this point though I've just about hijacked this thread so I guess I ought to start a new one.

Edit: I did just try an EFI string instead of GE, and it still says x8. It's gotta be either my card or my motherboard. Obviously x8 is still plenty of bandwidth for the GTX 260, and everything else is fine, but I don't like that it's not working the way it's supposed to.

JaE-V
09-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Slayer how is your new card? I was thinking of going the ati route, still on the fence

msinfo_us
09-30-2010, 01:46 AM
I dunno, I can't find a GFX string for it, and almost everyone else I've read who're using the GTX 260 are using GraphicsEnabler and it works perfect. That's what I used before on my old motherboard and it said x16. I ran nvclock and it says I'm "Current Rate: 8X, Maximum Rate: 16X". So, I think it's either my card, or it's some issue with the 10.6.4 drivers like some people have mentioned. I tried using LegacyAGPM and set up an iMac11,1 section with the GTX 260 section from the real AGPM's MacPro4,1 section, and it hasn't made a difference. It actually does seem like the card is running in power save mode all the time. If a launch a game, nvclock still says 300Mhz, when I should be at 626 right? At this point though I've just about hijacked this thread so I guess I ought to start a new one.

Edit: I did just try an EFI string instead of GE, and it still says x8. It's gotta be either my card or my motherboard. Obviously x8 is still plenty of bandwidth for the GTX 260, and everything else is fine, but I don't like that it's not working the way it's supposed to. Power save mode actually does make sense. I did have this problem initially (lower clock but still x16 PCIe) and started to look dipper into it. But then when made all the necessary changes to my dsdt it magically disappeared so I did not look any farther. Here is my NVClock info if u'd like it for reference.
-- General info --
Card: GT200 [GeForce GTX 260]
Architecture: GT200 B1
PCI id: 0x05e2
Subvendor id: 0x19f1
GPU clock: 586.284 MHz
Bustype: PCI-Express

-- Shader info --
Clock: 1296.000 MHz
Stream units: 216 (11111110b)
ROP units: 28 (01111111b)
-- Memory info --
Amount: 896 MB
Type: 448 bit DDR3
Clock: 999.000 MHz

-- PCI-Express info --
Current Rate: 16X
Maximum rate: 16X

-- Sensor info --
Sensor: Analog Devices ADT7473
Board temperature: 37C
GPU temperature: 47C
Fanspeed: 339 RPM
Fanspeed mode: manual
PWM duty cycle: 40.0%

-- VideoBios information --
Version: 62.00.50.00.05
Signon message: NVIDIA GTX260 896MB
Performance level 0: gpu 300MHz/shader 600MHz/memory 100MHz/1.05V/100%
Performance level 1: gpu 400MHz/shader 800MHz/memory 300MHz/1.05V/100%
Performance level 2: gpu 590MHz/shader 1296MHz/memory 999MHz/1.12V/100%
VID mask: f
Voltage level 0: 1.05V, VID: b
Voltage level 1: 1.06V, VID: a
Voltage level 2: 1.12V, VID: 5
Voltage level 3: 1.18V, VID: 0

And you are right this does not have anything to do with this thread and there is already plenty of info on this subject.

banini_jeque
09-30-2010, 03:24 AM
Yeah looks just like my output but I have the 216 superclocked so some clocks are higher in mode 1 and 2, and it's definitely stuck on mode 0. I ran some stress tests and it didn't budge past 300Mhz. Is your DSDT just like the one on page 24 or does it have other stuff?

msinfo_us
09-30-2010, 03:31 AM
Yeah looks just like my output but I have the 216 superclocked so some clocks are higher in mode 1 and 2, and it's definitely stuck on mode 0. I ran some stress tests and it didn't budge past 300Mhz. Is your DSDT just like the one on page 24 or does it have other stuff? The dsdt file I posted on page 24 is still the latest and the one I am running right now.
PS FYI It is not just dsdt. It is a combination of dsdt and ssdt. There are tables/references in both and in some cases ssdt takes a priority. But most of the changes I've made are in the dsdt.

banini_jeque
09-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Interesting. I added the SSDT files (I don't fully understand the concept behind them, I guess just more of the same as DSDT) and put in dropssdt=yes, and now my gpu clock is at level 2 (626Mhz for me since I have the 260 superclocked :)), but, unfortunately I'm still at x8 lanes. Actually now it even clocked down to level 1 at 400Mhz, so that's good too, but STILL x8 lanes. I've got another week to return the board if I need to, and I just remembered my zotac ion has an x16 2.0 slot so I could test the card on that if I feel like tearing that machine apart to fit it on there.

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Slayer how is your new card? I was thinking of going the ati route, still on the fence

The card works smoothly so far. the most important feature that i really needed is not supported which is CUDA. i was hoping CUDA worked, but im on a waiting game right now for new drivers from nvidia to leak out.

Gaming is pretty smooth so far. I just play starcraft 2 (Ultrasettings).
I just dual boot with windows 7 for video editing.

so far from reading the article in insanelymac, these are the problems: vsync problems, no cuda, openCL.

If ati cards are fully supported with no problems at all, i suggest getting an ati card for a smoother experience. My system is not really vanilla right now because of the drivers you have to install for the GTX480/GTX470.

msinfo_us
09-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Interesting. I added the SSDT files (I don't fully understand the concept behind them, I guess just more of the same as DSDT) and put in dropssdt=yes, and now my gpu clock is at level 2 (626Mhz for me since I have the 260 superclocked :)), but, unfortunately I'm still at x8 lanes. Actually now it even clocked down to level 1 at 400Mhz, so that's good too, but STILL x8 lanes. I've got another week to return the board if I need to, and I just remembered my zotac ion has an x16 2.0 slot so I could test the card on that if I feel like tearing that machine apart to fit it on there.Glad dsdt/ssdt files worked for you and you are getting full performance out of your video card.

JaE-V
09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
The card works smoothly so far. the most important feature that i really needed is not supported which is CUDA. i was hoping CUDA worked, but im on a waiting game right now for new drivers from nvidia to leak out.

Gaming is pretty smooth so far. I just play starcraft 2 (Ultrasettings).
I just dual boot with windows 7 for video editing.

so far from reading the article in insanelymac, these are the problems: vsync problems, no cuda, openCL.

If ati cards are fully supported with no problems at all, i suggest getting an ati card for a smoother experience. My system is not really vanilla right now because of the drivers you have to install for the GTX480/GTX470.

Good info thanks, think its time for me to do a re-load with all of these new fixes implemented. Still running with strings on my 285 only game i play is call of duty so my system is overkill. I'll probably grab a 5870 when the funds line up

cpress
10-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I first want to thank you all for the wonderful information. This is truly exciting stuff.

I followed this guide, finally got sound working, but have 1 more thing that I need to fix.

I am unable to use my sata cdrom, it doesnt show up anywhere. Not sure where to start here so I'll just list my stuff

EVGA X58
i7 920
6 gigs ocz ram
nvidia gtx 280
samsung sata dvd-rw

I'm pretty sure that I have a custom dsdt.aml file, however I am not too sure.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

xxxslayeriiixxx
10-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Where did you plug it in? the red sata ports? if you did just turn it on in BIOS

cpress
10-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Where did you plug it in? the red sata ports? if you did just turn it on in BIOS

The drive was plugged in SATA0 (black) I moved it to the red port on the side of the board and it worked! Thank you!

Now another question: Is there a way to get my PS/2 keyboard working? I installed the voodoops2controler and am not able to use it.

xxxslayeriiixxx
10-09-2010, 12:55 PM
it should work right away without any extra kext. idk whats happening to your keyboard

snake4life
10-10-2010, 02:35 AM
hey msinfo or airwalk you posted a dsdt change on page24 for the Audio 889 chip if I change the part in my dsdt to yours does I need any legacyHDA or modified AppleHDA kext in my extra or S/L/E folder to get sound work?, Im using atm voodooHDA kext in S/L/E but my SPDIF output supports only 2 channels not 5.1 any solution to get 5.1 work? I tried out in audio-Midi-support program but 5.1 is disabled -.-

Is there anyway to get the Fanspeed of my GTX260 from EVGA (its the SuperSuperClocked edition) to control?

(((is my english acceptable?)))

msinfo_us
10-10-2010, 07:12 PM
hey msinfo or airwalk you posted a dsdt change on page24 for the Audio 889 chip if I change the part in my dsdt to yours does I need any legacyHDA or modified AppleHDA kext in my extra or S/L/E folder to get sound work?, Im using atm voodooHDA kext in S/L/E but my SPDIF output supports only 2 channels not 5.1 any solution to get 5.1 work? I tried out in audio-Midi-support program but 5.1 is disabled -.-

Is there anyway to get the Fanspeed of my GTX260 from EVGA (its the SuperSuperClocked edition) to control?

(((is my english acceptable?))) Your English is fine :)

Yes, you'll need Legacy889HDA.kext and original AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2.

There are a number of ways to get 5.1 over SPDIF. For example: Soundflower.
The easiest is probably just to install Plex and enable digital out in Plex system pref. (If you don't use Plex already try it. It is arguably one of the best media center solutions out there)
I am sure there are more ways to do it. Google is your friend.

Try this link for your Video card/fan question http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1246 and http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=228757&st=118
(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=228757&st=118)

terrybogard
10-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Everyone will have to excuse me, since I seem completely dense over taking on this task.

I have the retail Apple DVD, but looking at the guide on page 1 loses me from the first link. Am I able to just use my roommates Macbook Pro & install OSX to a Hardrive via enclosure or do I need to 1) download 10.5.2 2) Find the combo updates somehow & update them 3) once I get to 10.5.7 somehow, start using this guide?

I'm unfortunately am plague by being a specific person & am lost on which guide im using or what disks & etc. The other guide doesn't even have links, I understand google is my friend, but I need a more definite process of starting this. I know I can do it, I just need to be placed on the right path.

Overall if I can just use my roommates Macbook Pro & hook a enclosure HD up to it, that be great. I guess if I can, I just install the HD, install the DVD & start from this guide & download the needed items to be installed on the enclosure HD. If I read the other guide correctly!

edit:

Almost forgot system info:

I am wanting to get a Hackintosh on a:
eVGA X58 Micro
i920 processor
Corsair Dominator 6GB
8800GT eVGA 512mb card (apparently a decent choice starting out for this stuff)

Thanks all in advance for the help.

xxxslayeriiixxx
10-11-2010, 07:33 AM
im not entirely sure but it should work installing it through an enclosure via macbook pro. just remember to install chameleon in the right drive path (the enclosure).

terrybogard
10-11-2010, 08:29 AM
im not entirely sure but it should work installing it through an enclosure via macbook pro. just remember to install chameleon in the right drive path (the enclosure).

Think I will give it a shot straight from my PC. I'll just download all the combo updates from the apple support site & get it to 10.5.7 & follow the guide from there & here. Guess I'll let you know by tomorrow night how this turns out. Thanks

edit:

If I do decide to use my roommate's Macbook Pro that he just got that has the newest 10.6.4 update, should I skip the 10.5.7 section & just install Leopard on the drive I plan on using, then from there plug it into my system & move ahead with the rest of the installation?

xxxslayeriiixxx
10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
if you use your roommates macbook pro just install snow leopard on the enclosure.

snake4life
10-14-2010, 04:41 PM
thanks msinfo_us, Plex is awesome the 5.1 sounds so great thanks you very much =)

msinfo_us
10-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Glad I could help :D

snake4life
10-16-2010, 01:47 PM
ok after getting the beautiful DTS sound to my reciever Im trying now to manage the correct work of the sleep function.

My pc is going to sleep (all fans off, usb off, nice and sleepy everything...) BUT after I press the power on button or the spacebar it comes up, I get my desktop back but my keyboard doesnt work and no usb device like my HDD. Here is what my kernel.log logged:

Oct 16 01:02:56 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: Power down FG cad=2 nid=1 to the D3 state...
Oct 16 01:02:56 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: Resetting controller...
Oct 16 01:02:56 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f4d7c00]::resetController(0)
Oct 16 01:02:56 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: Suspend done.
Oct 16 01:03:00 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: System Sleep
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: 55813813)
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f4d7c00]::audioCtlOssMixerSet(0xffffff801043b928, 23, 0, -549755813888)
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f4d7c00]::audioCtlOssMixerSet(0xffffff801043b928, 24, 0, -549755813888)
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f4d7c00]::audioCtlOssMixerSetRecSrc(0xffffff801043b928, 0x80)
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: warning: couldn't set recording source to microphone
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: Resume done.
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: An Unknown USB Device (Port 1 of Hub at 0xfd000000), may have caused a wake by being connected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: An Unknown USB Device (Port 1 of Hub at 0xfa000000), may have caused a wake by being connected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: The USB device iPhone (Port 2 of Hub at 0xfd000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: An Unknown USB Device (Port 2 of Hub at 0xfa000000), may have caused a wake by being connected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: An Unknown USB Device (Port 3 of Hub at 0xfa000000), may have caused a wake by being connected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: An Unknown USB Device (Port 3 of Hub at 0xfd000000), may have caused a wake by being connected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: The USB device Keyboard Hub (Port 4 of Hub at 0xfa000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: The USB device USB HD (Port 4 of Hub at 0xfd000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: An Unknown USB Device (Port 5 of Hub at 0xfa000000), may have caused a wake by being connected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: An Unknown USB Device (Port 5 of Hub at 0xfd000000), may have caused a wake by being connected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: The USB device External HDD (Port 6 of Hub at 0xfa000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected
Oct 16 01:03:11 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: An Unknown USB Device (Port 6 of Hub at 0xfd000000), may have caused a wake by being connected
Oct 16 01:03:16 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:03:17 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT
Oct 16 01:03:21 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:03:39: --- last message repeated 3 times ---
Oct 16 01:03:39 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: [BNBMouseDevice][processCommandWL][34-15-9e-cd-ec-ce] Releasing All Channels
Oct 16 01:03:42 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:03:49: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Oct 16 01:03:49 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: [ffffff80106e4100][AppleMultitouchDevice::willTerminate] entered
Oct 16 01:03:49 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: [ffffff80106e4100][AppleMultitouchDevice::stop] entered
Oct 16 01:03:52 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:04:22: --- last message repeated 5 times ---
Oct 16 01:04:22 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:04:52: --- last message repeated 5 times ---
Oct 16 01:04:52 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:04:52 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: IOUSBMassStorageClass::setPowerState(0xffffff800f0 4c000, 0 -> 1) timed out after 100128 ms
Oct 16 01:04:52 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: IOUSBMassStorageClass::setPowerState(0xffffff800f0 6f800, 0 -> 1) timed out after 100128 ms
Oct 16 01:04:57 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:05:21: --- last message repeated 4 times ---
Oct 16 01:05:21 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: E:[AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController][BulkInReadHandler] overrun error. ignoring. dataSize = 0x0
Oct 16 01:05:21 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: [InterruptReadHandler] Received kIODeviceNotResponding error - retrying: 1.
Oct 16 01:05:21 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: [ClearFeatureBulkEndpointHalt] DeviceRequest failed 0xE00002ED.
Oct 16 01:05:22 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:05:52: --- last message repeated 5 times ---
Oct 16 01:05:52 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:06:22: --- last message repeated 5 times ---
Oct 16 01:06:22 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:06:32: --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Oct 16 01:06:32 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00::setPowerState(0xffff ff800f06f000, 0 -> 4) timed out after 100157 ms
Oct 16 01:06:33 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00::setPowerState(0xffff ff800f088e00, 0 -> 4) timed out after 100357 ms
Oct 16 01:06:37 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:07:07: --- last message repeated 5 times ---
Oct 16 01:07:07 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:07:37: --- last message repeated 5 times ---
Oct 16 01:07:37 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:08:07: --- last message repeated 5 times ---
Oct 16 01:08:07 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
Oct 16 01:08:37: --- last message repeated 5 times ---
Oct 16 01:08:37 Snake4lifes-iMac kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
(My system is a MacPro4,1 but my boot disc was iMac dont wonder..)

My method that Im used: SleepEnabler 10.6.4 in E/E, DSDT patching the _S3(+global) and the _pwr section "One" -> 0x03, adding the Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) + device id at the USB part. Anybody fixed this problem? Thanks for every help =)

Device (USB0)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x03,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB1)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0001)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x04,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x35, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB2)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0002)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x0C,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x36, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB3)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x0E,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x37, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB4)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0001)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x05,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x38, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB5)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0002)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x20,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x39, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

msinfo_us
10-19-2010, 03:12 AM
Well, I am not sure how much help I am going to be here since our systems are different. I am using native power management; no sleepenabler and such. This is going to be "apples and oranges" I am afraid. And I don't use sleep at all ... I did test it and it works. All USB devices are present and working after sleep (deep sleep is exactly like you describe).
Anyway, the only part missing in your DSDT USB section is a High Speed USB. Normally those are your external HD's ;)
Device (USB0)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x03,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB1)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0001)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x04,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x35, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB2)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0002)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x0C,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x36, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB3)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x0E,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x37, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB4)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0001)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x05,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x38, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (USB5)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0002)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x20,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x39, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (EHC1)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0007)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x0D,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x3A, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (EHC2)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001A0007)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

{
0x0D,
0x03
})
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x3C, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

banini_jeque
10-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Any updates as far as getting native powermanagement with newer bioses? I have the new SLI 3 botherboard, and there's no older bioses that don't support 6 and 8 core chips. Do you guys think 10.6.5 will fix this since the 2010 Mac Pros have the 6 core chips? I've been wondering if the newer builds of 10.6.4 that come with the 2010 Mac Pros and the new MacBook Airs would work too, but I can't find any torrents of them.

msinfo_us
11-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Any updates as far as getting native powermanagement with newer bioses? I have the new SLI 3 botherboard, and there's no older bioses that don't support 6 and 8 core chips. Do you guys think 10.6.5 will fix this since the 2010 Mac Pros have the 6 core chips? I've been wondering if the newer builds of 10.6.4 that come with the 2010 Mac Pros and the new MacBook Airs would work too, but I can't find any torrents of them.I don't think the problem is 6 or 8 cores but the absence of the 2 or 4 extra cores on i7 920. In our quest for native power management Airwalk and I went thru many tests and once we found that indeed having those extra empty cores is a problem we never attempted to go back to newer BIOS's to try to fix it. May be you want to give it shot? If so, please share your results.

banini_jeque
11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Well, I think I'm gonna have to wait for 10.6.5 to try it again. I'm running a 950, so I would have the same problem as you, and I know I've always gotten a kp anytime I tried going native. If I can find a torrent of 10.6.4 from a 2010 mac pro or macbook air then I can try those, but I haven't had any luck, and 10.6.5 is right around the corner. I guess I could put 10.6.5 beta on a spare drive and try that.

snake4life
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
If 10.6.5 is released, can I make a Timemachine backup, update to 10.6.5 and if it KP me, boot the install disk and go back to my timemachinebackup is this possible?
Dunno...

terrybogard
11-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Just wanted to post back about my progress. After much deliberation & reviewing things, I finally went ahead with the install today with hope of joining the ranks of other fellow hackintosh members. It was a very interesting journey & after about 6 hours including (eating, bio breaks, researching, & installs) I finally have my system running 10.6.4 :cool:

Thank you slayer for the guide, I will admit I didn't use it at the beginning, but rather a tonymac method, but in the end your guide saved my ass a lot of headaches. From the right files, to the correct procedures, & even ways to edit EFI strings once 10.6.4 was installed. So credit to you slayer & other's around the net that provided information.

Now I just need to research how I go about installing a new Windows 7 type system:-/

edit 1: I'm currently running the Voodoo HDA audio kext, but my sound is static at times, or it comes & goes. I have to move around the computer & deal with the cords to get sound back, never had any issue in windows. By chance is there another kext I should look into?
Motherboard: x58 EVGA Micro

JaE-V
11-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Ms_info will you please re-upload the file with the new x58 kexts the rapidshare link you hosted has reached it's limit

JaE-V
11-08-2010, 05:58 AM
arghhh someone post those files lol i'm loosing blood here :p

msinfo_us
11-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Ms_info will you please re-upload the file with the new x58 kexts the rapidshare link you hosted has reached it's limit
Sure. It has latest dsdt, ssdt and kexts I am using. I did not include any additional utilities to keep it small. You can always download them elsewhere or let me know what you need and I'll upload it for you.

http://rapidshare.com/files/429535655/NoNullCPU1test.zip

JaE-V
11-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Sure. It has latest dsdt, ssdt and kexts I am using. I did not include any additional utilities to keep it small. You can always download them elsewhere or let me know what you need and I'll upload it for you.

http://rapidshare.com/files/429535655/NoNullCPU1test.zip

exactly what i needed thank you sir, throwing it in my drop box

snake4life
11-08-2010, 11:01 AM
@ms_info are these uploadet files for chameleon RC5? And whats the pfix (permission fix?), and whats the AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler.kext good for?

Dont forget guys to change the serialnumber, I just found out that some apps like teamviewer does not work with same serialnumbers

msinfo_us
11-08-2010, 05:51 PM
@ms_info are these uploadet files for chameleon RC5? And whats the pfix (permission fix?), and whats the AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler.kext good for?

Dont forget guys to change the serialnumber, I just found out that some apps like teamviewer does not work with same serialnumbers
Yes, I am using RC5. It works fine with AzerBLN as well.

pfix - small utility to fix permissions
AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler - NVidia fix which we most likely no longer need.

banini_jeque
11-11-2010, 04:10 AM
Poop, I just updated to 10.6.5, but it doesn't help my X58 SLI 3 use native PM. It still panics without null. I even tried msinfo's newest pack unaltered. I guess now I sell this board and try to track down the older X58 SLI LE that it replaced, or a Gigabyte. I'm assuming the gigabyte boards can run a newer bios that supports more than 4 cores, and still work with native PM right? If that's the case, then why can't EVGA boards do it?

msinfo_us
11-11-2010, 05:52 AM
Poop, I just updated to 10.6.5, but it doesn't help my X58 SLI 3 use native PM. It still panics without null. I even tried msinfo's newest pack unaltered. I guess now I sell this board and try to track down the older X58 SLI LE that it replaced, or a Gigabyte. I'm assuming the gigabyte boards can run a newer bios that supports more than 4 cores, and still work with native PM right? If that's the case, then why can't EVGA boards do it?
I don't know if this is impossible or even how difficult it is to get native PM on newer EVGA BIOS. Airwalk and I did not pursue any farther native PM development, DSDT and SSDT changes once we found that using older EVGA BIOS version solved our KP problem. Everything is working REALLY well so it is kind of hard to justify breaking it for the sake of testing newer BIOS when it does not really buy us anything. Is your system OC'd (try to disable it just for testing)? Did you try to generate your own ssdt files (if you want to attach them I can take a look at your values)?

banini_jeque
11-12-2010, 01:51 AM
Here they are if you want to look. I guess I'll start researching mods for them now.

msinfo_us
11-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Here they are if you want to look. I guess I'll start researching mods for them now. Try replacing with these files. Please try with DropSSDT=yes and no.

JaE-V
11-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Everyone updated ok? I haven't turned my system on in about 4 days

msinfo_us
11-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Everyone updated ok? I haven't turned my system on in about 4 days10.6.5 update was seamless. Just backup your AppleHDA before updating.

terrybogard
11-13-2010, 12:17 PM
I went head & updated 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 & upon reboot I got message stating "I need to reboot my system holding down the power button". I get this everytime now & no one else seems to be having the same issue as me so I'm lost as to what I need to do.

Thanks in advance.

evga x58 micro
evga 8800gt
i7 920
using newest chameleon bootloader build.

Edit: Found my issue, VooDooHDA no longer wants to play nice with 10.6.5, the only issue is that I no longer have sound. If anyone has a working ALC889 combo that could work on my eVGA x58 Micro mobo, can you please host it or post where I can get it from. A specific guide on installing it would be helpful as well...thank you.

Edit x 2: So for anyone future reference using the eVGA Micro x58 motherboard. If you're using the VoodooHDA kext, with updating to 10.6.5 it'll pretty much wreck your OSX into KP mode. You'll want to remove it completely from your system via Safe Mode if you haven't before installing the update. This does mean no sound for the time being, but below I have a method that you can try to use that worked for me.

1) Download TonyMac's Multi-beast
2) Open Multi-Beast
3) Go through the Prompts until you can see the easy DSDT & User DSDT & etc.
4) At all those check boxes, Go down the boxes until you see Advanced Options & select
5) Should see (Audio, network, & various other things)
6) What you want is Audio of course
7) With using the eVGA x58 Micro motherboard we have the ALC889 Codec
8) Check boxes LegacyHDA889, HDAEnabler889, & 10.6.2 Apple.HDA Rollback
9) Install all three, should be successful.
10) Close Multi-beast - Open Disk Utility > Select OSX Drive > First Aid Tab > Repair permissions > Close DIsk Utility > Restart > Test Sound

Using this method got me updated to 10.6.5 which updates the Apple.HDA audio kext anyways, so VoodooHDA basically kills the system. Anyways, I went from 10.6.5 & no sound , the new update & with sound. Hope this helps even one person.

banini_jeque
11-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Thanks msinfo. It didn't work though. I tried it both ways.

VoodooHDA didn't like the dsdt you gave me, but it likes mine fine, probably because I removed my audio device from it since I have ALC892. I always have to delete AppleHDA though.

msinfo_us
11-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks msinfo. It didn't work though. I tried it both ways.

VoodooHDA didn't like the dsdt you gave me, but it likes mine fine, probably because I removed my audio device from it since I have ALC892. I always have to delete AppleHDA though.
It was a long shot anyway ... Did you remove sound from dsdt I gave you or did you use your old dsdt? Attached is dsdt without sound device hdef.

banini_jeque
11-15-2010, 06:30 PM
I haven't tried that because the pm panics well before the voodoo does, so I didn't think it was worth it. I posted on insanelymac's dsdt fixes for gigabyte boards thread with my dsdt, ssdts, and ioreg output to see if they have any ideas. I think I will keep this board since everything else works, and it's fun to try to work out new frontiers.

Update:
I redid my DSDT, and it's good enough now that I can restart and shutdown without any added kext. I have it attached along with an ioreg dump, my SSDTs, and my boot.plist if anyone wants to look through it.

The only kexts I have in /E/E are:
AHCIPortInjector
fakesmc
JMicronATA
LegacyAGPM
NullCPUPM
PlatformUUID

I would still need one for sleep, but I haven't really looked for one for 10.6.5 yet.

shakall
11-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Is working with the EVGA SLI LE E757?
What CDBOOT use?

Thanks.

banini_jeque
11-25-2010, 02:18 AM
@shakall, I'm pretty sure you can use the E757, and I bet if you don't use any bios version newer than S71H, you can use the folder these guys are passing around.

@everyone, I've gotten maybe a little closer to getting speedstep on my E767. In my ioreg I have no CPUPLimit, nor do I have CStateInfo. I made a legacy kext based on MacPro5,1, renamed to PowerMac3,4 just for fun, and changed my smbios.plist to PowerMac3,4. I still don't have either of those in my ioreg, but now I get:
11/24/10 4:41:33 PM kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::gatherCStateOverrides - failed to set c-state demotion data: -1

I built it in a PowerMac3,4 case if anyone was wondering.

I also updated to bios 77, and now I only get one ssdt.aml instead of two.

Maybe when people start trying to run 32nm 6 core chips on their EVGA boards more people will be trying to get this working than me.

shakall
11-25-2010, 01:15 PM
@shakall, I'm pretty sure you can use the E757, and I bet if you don't use any bios version newer than S71H, you can use the folder these guys are passing around.

@everyone, I've gotten maybe a little closer to getting speedstep on my E767. In my ioreg I have no CPUPLimit, nor do I have CStateInfo. I made a legacy kext based on MacPro5,1, renamed to PowerMac3,4 just for fun, and changed my smbios.plist to PowerMac3,4. I still don't have either of those in my ioreg, but now I get:
11/24/10 4:41:33 PM kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::gatherCStateOverrides - failed to set c-state demotion data: -1

I built it in a PowerMac3,4 case if anyone was wondering.

I also updated to bios 77, and now I only get one ssdt.aml instead of two.

Maybe when people start trying to run 32nm 6 core chips on their EVGA boards more people will be trying to get this working than me.
Thx man, me too using bios version 77.

banini_jeque
11-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Cool, now we're talking. I'm away from my machine for today (Happy Thanksgiving everybody), and then I have piles of homework, but when I get time, I'm going to be going over this guide (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771&st=0) a few times. It has something in it about the legacy kext not working right if you put tabs in it instead of spaces when you indent, so that might be a place for me to start. We need to get CStateInfo and CPUPLimit showing up in IOReg under CPU0, Apple_SMC_Platform or whatever. I suspect that somehow, maybe because of something I'm doing wrong, or maybe because of the bios, that C2RC5 isn't loading the C-States even though it says it is.

farski
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey everyone. I'm putting together a new build for a friend based on an eVGA X58, so thanks for 30+ pages of good info. I've read through a lot of it and tried to retain as much as possible, but still have a couple questions. I just started really working on getting things up and running (hadn't found a good thread like this till today), so I haven't tried a whole lot yet.

The build is: X58 FTW3, i7 920, AMD 5870

Ignoring the GPU for now, because I know most people in here are using NV cards, here are my questions.

1. LAN, For the SLI or Classified most people have, does eth work out of the box? Maybe I missed what everyone is using for a fix there, but I haven't seen anyone mention the RLT811xx driver that I've been using. I need to reread the DSDT patches more carefully, so maybe it's in there. That driver is actually working perfectly for me, but it needs to be installed to /s/l/e and I'd prefer to go another route if there is one.

2. Audio, seems like HDEF in the DSDT and a patched AppleHDA is working well, but some people are still using Voodoo. I'm more used to patching HDA, so planing on doing that unless there's a strong reason not to.

3. USB, I tried upgrading to 10.6.5 once already, but lost USB entirely like some other people did, but I haven't seen anyone report that in this thread. Is that a problem unique to the FTW3? Or will it not be an issue once I get a DSDT built?

4. DSDT, Does anyone know how similar the FTW3 actually is to the SLI or Classified in terms of the DSDT. Those two boards are clearly the most popular here, but maybe I missed someone saying they'd had success with similar patches on an FTW3. I like making mine by hand anyway, so I'll find out soon enough, but just figured I'd ask if it could save me some trouble.

Thanks again for all the work you've already done, and any help you can provide.

banini_jeque
12-02-2010, 06:28 PM
YES! Farski, I believe the FTW3 is going to be very similar to my SLI3. I have to use the same ethernet driver. For sound I have to use VoodooHDA because I have ALC892, which won't work with AppleHDA even if you patch it. I think the FTW3 has ALC892 as well. I took the AZAL/HDEF section out of my dsdt so I don't have to delete AppleHDA to prevent KPs from VoodooHDA. I didn't have any usb problems with 10.6.5, aside from the fact that if I booted with the iBoot CD I had, my USB didn't work, so I'm wondering if you're using any tonymacx86 related usb kexts somewhere. I got a new iBoot CD and now that works fine when I need to boot from it. I have everything working including USB3, but excluding SATA3 and speedstep. If you can get speedstep working you're my hero. No one with an EVGA X58 has gotten it to work on bios 44 or newer. You and I are limited to like 76 or 77 since our boards are so new, so we can't use the versions older than 44 that are known to work. I've been trying for months with no luck, so I may switch to a Gigabyte eventually.

farski
12-03-2010, 05:26 PM
cool, good to know about the audio/LAN. Not perfect fixes but certainly easy enough to live with. I'm not too concerned about speedstepping, because I think this machine's either going to be off, or on and gaming or crunching photos. If it's not an easy fix I won't have enough time probably to do any real work on it before I need to ship it off to the owner; sorry I couldn't be more help there.

Looking back I bet I still was booting off iBoot when I had those USB issues in 10.6.5. Once I got an actual install of chameleon going I never even bothered to try again. I had actually also gotten USB3 working in 10.6.4, but can't remember which patched driver I used; do you remember which you're using?

I'm going to read through the thread again this weekend probably to get through most of the DSDT stuff, but are there any notable changes you made for the SLI3 besides HDEF I should know about?

Thanks

banini_jeque
12-03-2010, 06:30 PM
I just followed the guides for gigabyte boards. There's a basic one on tonymacx86, and then some more really detailed ones on insanelymac. I have a post a few posts back that has mine with some other things I'm using attached, so you can take a look. The one I'm using now differs slightly from that one, but it's nothing major.

You're really bumming me out on the speedstep though. :'(

banini_jeque
12-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Okay so I just want to check to confirm, is the panic that everyone else gets with bioses newer than SZ2Z when trying to load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement at boot a type 13? Mine is, and I want to make sure everyone else is getting the same one.

banini_jeque
12-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Great. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm giving up now and buying an ASUS or Gigabyte even though I don't like the design. At least it will work better.

xxxslayeriiixxx
12-22-2010, 01:01 AM
i just updated mine. no problems at all. all vanilla kext, except for some GPU files for my GTX480 which supports CUDA now and no more vsync issue.

banini_jeque
12-22-2010, 01:42 AM
You should make a note in the first post about speedstep not working on the X58 SLI3 or X58 FTW3, and how it only works on the other models if you use the bios version before version 44, which is of course SZ2Z. I changed my mind and haven't completely given up yet, but if I like the Gigabyte X58 G1 when it comes out I'll probably get that.

xxxslayeriiixxx
12-23-2010, 10:02 AM
sure thing. ill just quote you

banini_jeque
12-23-2010, 10:58 AM
I've been looking into it more. I'm wondering if I replaced the CPU microcode in bios version 77 from EVGA with the microcode from a Gigabyte X58 board's bios if that would fix it, but I'm not sure if that's really the problem. This is a copy of my post on insanelymac:

On EVGA's website, they list these differences between bios 44, which breaks AppleIntelCPUPM support, and SZ2Z, which enables it:

44 Updates:

Supports 32nm Desktop CPUs
Added "Turbo Performance" option (may boost performance if enabled)
Fixes 1866MHz Memory Ratio

SZ2Z Updates:

Added "Reserve RC for Bridge" - Enables resources for 5 VGA's
Added High Precision Event Timer
Disables PS2 keyboard in device manager if no PS2 keyboard present

To me, this suggests three possible causes.

1. The CPU microcode

2. The "Turbo Performance" option

3. Notice how the naming conventions of the bioses change from SZxx to just two digits. Does this mean that perhaps they did a complete rewrite and that the cause of our problem could be something unrelated to the added features in version 44?

neptunet
01-01-2011, 02:16 AM
The link in the OP to iasl is broken. Where could one find a copy?

Imkantus
01-01-2011, 06:36 PM
The link in the OP to iasl is broken. Where could one find a copy?
Google: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=386&st=0

The complete ACPICA-utilities are also default part of most Linux/BSD OS-derivates. :)

banini_jeque
01-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Just to update everyone a little bit. I've got the ALC892 on my E767 working with AppleHDA now using the new ALC8xxHDA kext from MacMan over at tonymacx86. First I tried to bin patch AppleHDA from 885 to 892, which made it load, but didn't give me sound. Then I switched to the 10.6.2 AppleHDA rollback and now it works.

So, that's a step forward. Almost there.

Still no ability to load AppleCPUPM without the type 13 panic, so no speedstep either. I've been playing with acpiexec to see if I can find something in there, but I don't really get it yet.

Here's my DSDT with the necessary HDEF section for the ALC8xxHDA to work.

banini_jeque
01-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Alright, so can someone like airwalk667 or msinfo pleeease make a full acpidump from linux on your X58 SLI and post it? You've got to be using the same bios version (SZ2Z) and settings you're using in OS X. I want to get the whole thing and compare it to my full dump from my X58 SLI3 to find all the differences I can in the acpi table and see if maybe something in there is causing the panic. It's a race to see if newegg has an open box ASUS P6T6 before I make this work.

neptunet
01-03-2011, 04:02 AM
Wow this thread is so huge! I first installed with iBoot + Multibeast and I got a working system. Next, I followed the guide on page 1 exactly along with ALL of the important notes at the bottom. I'm getting a kernel panic when I use the /Extra folder from this guide. When I use my backup /Extra folder I'm ok. I was wondering if I list what I have in there maybe someone could help me figure it out.

Backup /Extra folder that works kexts:

EvOreboot
fakesmc
JMicron36xATA
JMicron36xSATA
LegacyAppleRTC
NullCPUPowerManagement

Airwalk's Extra folder kexts including suggestions at the bottom of post 1:

AHCIPortInjector
fakesmc
HDAEnabler
JMicronATA
LegacyHDA
NullCPUPowerManagement
OpenHalfRestart
PlatformUUID
SleepEnabler

dsdt.aml that I made myself

Here is a photo of my kernel panic:

(attached below)

banini_jeque
01-03-2011, 07:04 PM
@neptunet, I suspect sleepenabler. Try booting without it. What board do you have and what bios version?

farski
01-03-2011, 07:53 PM
So my FTW3 started having all sorts of problems mid-December, right when I was going to start honing the DSDT to get things finalized. Getting it replaced was no easy feat, but I finally have a new, working board and it's time to start over. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report herein the next couple of days.

neptunet
01-03-2011, 08:20 PM
@banini_jeque I have the EVGA X58 SLI, the original one. Also how do I find out what bios version I have? I checked eleet but it didn't say. Also I am having another issue - I went back to my backup Extra folder and my system is hanging now before I get to OS X. I booted in verbose mode and took a screenshot where it hung up.

banini_jeque
01-04-2011, 02:55 AM
@farski, are you going to try to get speedstep working? We need to identify a difference between bios versions e758_sz2z and e758_44 that is causing AppleCPUPM to panic, despite our setups meeting it's requirements otherwise. Not sure how to figure that out. Then if we manage that, we have to see if we can do some sort of override, assuming that the cause is the same across all post version 44 evga x58 bioses.

@neptunet, you probably don't have your DSDT quite right. The hangup is probably related to the AppleRTC errors you're getting, so look at your RTC device in your DSDT and compare it other peoples. It should say what bios version you have on the bios boot screen, or on one of the bios setup screens.

neptunet
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
@banini_jeque i removed the DSDT.aml from both directories before i took the screenshot.. what do you think of that? do i just need to reinstall?

banini_jeque
01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
No, you need to have a modded DSDT, it just needs to be done right. If you're new to this stuff, I'd say use airwwalk's extra folder with his DSDT in it, but delete SleepEnabler. I think SleepEnabler was causing your original issue, and not having a DSDT the second one. Then if you find out your bios version, if it's sz2z you can also delete NullCPUPM and OpenHaltRestart and you should still be able to boot.

neptunet
01-06-2011, 03:10 PM
@banini hey I went back to my airwalk extra (without the sleepenabler - well I changed the .kext extension but I left it in there) and dsdt but I got the kp I first posted. My bios is sz50. I guess my bios is newer - what do you think of that?

EDIT: dang banini_jeque you did it! i made some edits to the airwalk extra folder - so i dropped in the original folder but put in my custom boot.plist and I booted! Wow.. what a relief to be back in my installation. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I just need to get sound working I guess and then start seeing if anything else is broken. What puzzles me is that originally I had no DSDT or airwalk Extra folder but now my system won't boot up without it! I have no idea what I did. Haha.. I'm so lost. well at least for the moment I have something to fall back on. I guess I'll copy /Extra and make changes one at a time to keep track of what I do.

About the DSDT.. I booted using airwalk's DSDT and I did not get the CMOS reset, so that's good! BUT, I noticed when I decompiled his DSDT that it only has a single entry for RTC length - whereas when I make my own DSDT and decompile it, it comes with 2 RTC length entries in two different headings - not the single "CMS" deal. What is that all about? Is it relevant?

banini_jeque
01-08-2011, 03:26 AM
I figure Airwalk probably deleted one of the RTC length sections since you only need one. For sound you just need the legacy kext, and then you need to either bin patch AppleHDA, or get the 10.6.2 rollback AppleHDA. If you google "perl AppleHDA ALC889" you should find the instructions to binpatch, or if you get the tonymacx86 multibeast it will have the 10.6.2 rollback in it. I got fed up with trying to make speedstep work on my SLI3, so I've now replaced it with the ASUS P6T WS Pro. I only need 3 kexts for it to be perfect.

neptunet
01-08-2011, 02:42 PM
@banini_jeque nice, 3 kexts sounds nice. what does speedstep do?

i have two hard drives - an SSD and a 1.5 TB HD with an HFS+ partition on it that I formatted in disk utility. However, after my initial installation os x isn't seeing it. Any ideas what that's all about? Is it JMicron stuff?

xxxslayeriiixxx
01-09-2011, 09:30 AM
UPDATED to 10.6.6 safely. had some minor issues with the GTX480, but i was able to fix with the nvidia official drivers. make sure to keep your AppleHDA.kext if your going to use a combo update. i was in 10.6.5 then just did the apple software update, had no issues.

@neptunet
try switching the sata cables to the bottom black sata slots. im assuming that you installed OSX in the SSD. if you plugged in the 1.5TB on the top 4 sata [ red, red, black, black ] its usually involves enabling them [jmicron]

neptunet
01-09-2011, 07:25 PM
@slayer great, nice to hear you got 10.6.6 running smoothly. did you try the tonymac nvidia driver update at all? i have my HDs in sata 0 and 1 - i forget what colors those are, but i think they are vertically stacked. do you know if i need any certain jmicron kexts to enable all those sata ports? i jacked my back up and i'm not looking forward to lifting my case up and changing the cables haha.

farski
01-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Actually got around to putting the new board in this weekend. Seems to be working fine (did a lot of testing in windows), so I started working on OS X. I basically started from scratch, a clean install. But I'm using the exact same boot setup as I was before the breakdown. Same package installer of chameleon, same boot plist and smbios, same extensions. For some reason now I'm having trouble booting, though. It's not panicing or giving me kext errors, no errors at all. Right after I choose the volume to boot, it starts loading for less than half a second and then the computer pretty much turns off. Video goes away and all the fans start running at full speed. Any ideas what could cause that? Never seen a bad kext do it.

xxxslayeriiixxx
01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
@neptunet
is it set to AHCI? it should work by default.

[enable]
[enable]
[AHCI mode]
[AHCI mode]

xxxslayeriiixxx
01-10-2011, 05:50 PM
@farksi
im assuming you have a dual boot setup using chameleon. this is the reason why i chose to dual boot in a different way. i have both installations in separate HDDs. i have windows setup with IDE then Mac with AHCI. whenever i need to go to a different OS i just go to BIOS and set it up as IDE or AHCI depending on the OS.

if not, try using the kext in the first post again if you havnt yet. maybe setting up a new dsdt would help.

JaE-V
01-10-2011, 10:22 PM
@farksi
im assuming you have a dual boot setup using chameleon. this is the reason why i chose to dual boot in a different way. i have both installations in separate HDDs. i have windows setup with IDE then Mac with AHCI. whenever i need to go to a different OS i just go to BIOS and set it up as IDE or AHCI depending on the OS.

if not, try using the kext in the first post again if you havnt yet. maybe setting up a new dsdt would help.

likewise, constantly switching that setting in bios....

On another topic here guys but has anyone been able to get netflix to work with our boards? Maybe there's a mod to the boot plist we can do?

airwalk776
01-11-2011, 12:27 AM
likewise, constantly switching that setting in bios....

On another topic here guys but has anyone been able to get netflix to work with our boards? Maybe there's a mod to the boot plist we can do?

netflix is working for me (I assume you have silverlight installed) the second part to get it to work is make sure your ethernet interface shows as "built in"

airwalk776
01-11-2011, 12:29 AM
BTW I took the 10.6.6 update no issues here.

xxxslayeriiixxx
01-11-2011, 03:36 AM
netflix is working for me. Also i just upgraded to 24GB ram, finally i can work with After Affects CS5 with no ram problems... i also haven't booted on my windows install since CUDA is working now.

JaE-V
01-11-2011, 05:19 AM
netflix is working for me. Also i just upgraded to 24GB ram, finally i can work with After Affects CS5 with no ram problems... i also haven't booted on my windows install since CUDA is working now.

that's awesome lol doubt you'll ever need to close a program again...think i may need to wipe and reinstall everything soon...got netflix working but i'm having a shitload of permission problems. Cant even enter "su" in terminal anymore, responds, "su:sorry" ....unable to copy and replace items in any system folders I get "you don't have permission" repair permissions doesn't work either :-|

airwalk776
01-12-2011, 01:57 AM
I figure Airwalk probably deleted one of the RTC length sections since you only need one. For sound you just need the legacy kext, and then you need to either bin patch AppleHDA, or get the 10.6.2 rollback AppleHDA. If you google "perl AppleHDA ALC889" you should find the instructions to binpatch, or if you get the tonymacx86 multibeast it will have the 10.6.2 rollback in it. I got fed up with trying to make speedstep work on my SLI3, so I've now replaced it with the ASUS P6T WS Pro. I only need 3 kexts for it to be perfect.

its not a delete its a decrease from 4 to 2 in the dsdt

airwalk776
01-12-2011, 01:59 AM

do you know of any way to transcode digital video (avi, divx, xvid, h264) using GPU?

Long story short if I download a movie and need to transcode it is there a way to do the transcode to h264 using GPU ?

xxxslayeriiixxx
01-12-2011, 03:38 AM
you will need a CUDA enabled GPU, if your not aware of it already. Ive been transcoding/encoding through premiere pro cs5 and it shows significant time changes. I used to transcode videos for about 1-2 hours before. Now it only takes 10 - 15 minutes to transcode with the GTX480. i am not aware of any other programs that utilizes the GPU for transcoding, but im sure Premiere Pro Cs5 uses gpu acceleration for the mercury playback engine and exporting videos. So maybe you could put the (avi, divx, xvid, h264) in the timeline and export the video to whatever format you prefer. I havent tested Adobe Media Encoder CS5, but i think it uses the same programming for export. So maybe you could just use Media Encoder, but im not entirely sure about the GPU accelerated encoding since im always in Premiere Pro.

xxxslayeriiixxx
01-12-2011, 03:56 AM
AND heres the other option that i havent tried. this looks promising, but not sure about the mac version

http://www.movavi.com/videoconverter/ (http://www.movavi.com/videoconverter/)

Convert Video 800% Faster

http://img.movavi.com/suite/v9/ov/vc_04.jpg (http://www.movavi.com/print/videoconverter/performance)Optimization for NVIDIAŽ CUDA™ results in 8x gain in video processing speed on PCs with CUDA-enabled graphics card and 10x gain on PCs with multiple GPUs. The program also ensures significant performance gain on AMD and Intel multi-core processors. Moreover, you can convert video even more faster with Turbo Plugin offering more efficient parallel task processing and advanced decoding technology.Gaining Performance with NVIDIAŽ CUDA™

Movavi Video Converter is optimized for NVIDIAŽ CUDA™ ensuring accelerated video decoding/encoding on a CUDA-enabled graphics card. The significant — up to 8 times — performance gain means prompt HD and SD video conversion, smooth playback and highest quality for all your favorite movies. Because Movavi Video Converter shifts video processing from your computer's CPU to NVIDIA's GPU, your computer’s CPU is fully available for use by other tasks.
CUDA technology saves you time when converting AVI, MP4, FLV, MKV with H.264 codec, MPEG (MPEG2 PS, MPEG2 TS) with MPEG1/MPEG2 codec to AVI, FLV, MP4 with H.264 codec. Now, you can instantly see which conversion formats leverage CUDA technology — making conversion considerably faster — by the CUDA logos shown alongside those format presets.

xxxslayeriiixxx
01-12-2011, 11:30 AM
UPDATED tutorial with new links. DSDT creation. added "Intel Speed step, turbo boost note". added quotations for better organization of steps.

For people wondering what the latest kext are after the "power management kext, speedstep fix" here it is. this is what i currently have in my kext folder.
http://osx86.co/f57/guide-evga-x58-snow-leopard-mac-os-x-t3854/post51321.html
If anybody wants me to add any useful links in the first post just message me or tell me here in the thread

-slayer

fq360
01-20-2011, 01:18 PM
xxxslayeriiixxx,

i have evga x58 classified too but the 759 model, although my system is up and running im wanting to know if your dsdt would work on my mobo too im using bios 74, is there anything i would need to change in smbios like UUID etc...

im running 980x i7 @ 4.2
kingston hyper x 2000 mem 6gb
evga classified 759 mobo
Ati HD5970 x 2 crossfire x

thanks

xxxslayeriiixxx
01-20-2011, 09:07 PM
i would suggest to create your own DSDT.aml, but you could always try. also change your smbios.plist according to your hardware specifications like RAM, the mac model you want, etc...

msinfo_us
01-21-2011, 02:19 AM
xxxslayeriiixxx,

i have evga x58 classified too but the 759 model, although my system is up and running im wanting to know if your dsdt would work on my mobo too im using bios 74, is there anything i would need to change in smbios like UUID etc...

im running 980x i7 @ 4.2
kingston hyper x 2000 mem 6gb
evga classified 759 mobo
Ati HD5970 x 2 crossfire x

thanksWow, very nice setup - congrats! If I m not mistaken you've got six core cpu, right? If so this would be an interesting test to see if you are going to get native power/turbo running with newer than we are all using BIOS. At a minimum I would expect that you need to modify CPU section for six/12 core (it is four/8 right now) and generate your own ssdt files.

PS You might be able to get away with auto-generated ssdt tables if you are using RC5

neptunet
01-22-2011, 05:52 AM
its not a delete its a decrease from 4 to 2 in the dsdt

@airwalk he was talking about a post i made about your dsdt. i noticed when i prepare my own dsdt i have 2 RTC length lines in 2 sections but yours has one RTC length section under one CMS thing. i'm curious about why that is. if i'm not making any sense let me know and i'll paste the code.

@ banini_jeque & slayer:

Well, I just switched my 2nd HDD from sata 1 to like 4 and it showed up in os x just fine. weird.

banini_jeque
01-23-2011, 08:24 AM
@msinfo_us and fq360, I would also like to see if native pm works with the newer bios version and the 6 core chip. I've switched to an ASUS P6T WS for now, but my EVGA E767 still hasn't sold on craigslist. It might also be interesting to compare a raw dsdt dump with a 6 core cpu vs one from 4 core cpu on the same board and bios version and see if anything is different that might be causing the issue. Then perhaps the dsdt could be modded to make native pm work on the 4 core as well using a newer bios version, but I have my doubts.

airwalk776
01-24-2011, 05:57 PM
AND heres the other option that i havent tried. this looks promising, but not sure about the mac version

http://www.movavi.com/videoconverter/ (http://www.movavi.com/videoconverter/)

I have two nvidia 9800 GTX+ which are CUDA compliant but on the nvidia site there is no mention of the drivers supporting them. I'll try it any report back.

Thanks

neptunet
01-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Has anyone gotten cpu temps under os x?

Mutant_Tractor
01-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi Guys!
Im running Vanilla 10.6.6 thanks to your epic guide but there are a few problems, so I'll start with a spec-out:

i7-980X
EVGA E760 X58 (BIOS 77 - Latest - Supports up to 16 Core CPUs)
2x ATI HD5870's XFire
Corsair Dominator GT (3x2GB)
2x Vertex 2 120GB
Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB

So the problems began upon the update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 via the combo updater:

10.6.3 booted perfectly in 64-bit mode, where as now with 10.6.6 installed I HAVE to go in via safe mode otherwise I get a light blue screen.

Spotlight has randomly stopped working (may just be as I am in safe mode)

Native Power Management will not seem to work with my CPU - I have patched my DSDT with what I believe is all the patches needed for this to work except for SpeedStep and P+C States - I don't think this is required for NPM?

iAtkos S3 V2 works perfectly in 64-bit mode so I am at a loss as to what could be causing my problem.

Okay so main things I want to get working:

64-bit NON-Safe mode
NPM
SpeedStep + Sleep would be great too although there is a severe lack of 980X DSDT's patched for this CPU around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Myles

UPDATE:
Just did some tinkering and aparrently my kernel AND extensions are running in 64-bit mode!
I ran GeekBench and got a pitiful score for the spec: 13676 in 64-bit mode and 12500 in 32-bit mode :(

In system profiler it shows all 6 cores and 6GB RAM however :/

Is there something wrong for me to get such a low score?

msinfo_us
01-29-2011, 02:56 AM
Couple questions:
1. Are you running Chameleon RC5? What version? Do you have CStates enabled and PStates disabled? Do you use DropSSDT=yes and your own SSDT's or DropSSDT=No?
2. What MAC model are you using? You might want to try few diff matching your system or create your own model to match exactly with your HW (I am using 11,1 and it had major impact on my geekbench. With i920 I get 14780 ... so you should certainly see more on your system. PS NPM enables turbo so this could also impact your score.

I have no experience with iAtkos S3 V2 and used vanila DVD to install, so may be who does have knowledge can comment.

Mutant_Tractor
01-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi msinfo,
1) (a) Yeah Chameleon RC5 via the installer rev 693
(b) CStates are enabled and PStates are as default (I assume this means disabled)
(c) I don't use either so I'm imagining DropSSDT=No is default
2) (a) I'm using a MacBook Pro6,1 - 2.66GHz (Mid 2010)
(b) To create the actual SL install though I just use iAtkos on the target machine
(c) I'm using iMac11,1 as well and have tried Mac Pro 4,1 neither with an advantage over the other
(d) NPM most definitely isn't working on my machine as I get KP's as soon as I drop NullCPUPowerManagement.kext so my guess is that this is irrelevant to my score?

It's not the score I'm worried about though it's the lack of being able to boot without safe mode enabled, At the moment I can boot perfectly in safe mode with 64-bit extensions and kernel but flat-out refuses to boot without -x enabled, It stops just on a light blue screen - in verbose mode it is the point where it says something about CPUPowerManagement...

banini_jeque
01-30-2011, 08:31 PM
@Mutant, I want to know more about your kernel panic when you drop NullCPUPM, specifically if it's a type 13. If you could post a pic of it that would be great. I think everyone else is mostly using DropSSDT=Yes. Also I don't think most people on this thread are using any distros like iAtkos. I have a suspicion that caused your video issue when you went to 10.6.6, but I don't know, so my suspicion probably isn't worth much.

Mutant_Tractor
01-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Hi banini, Just as a side note I'm not using the ATI GPUs to set it up for simplicity's sake, I'm using an old 7800 GTX that I found lying around (I've seen NV works much better with OSX than ATI)

I'll screenshot the KP once I'm at home (away for a few days atm)

Am I right in assuming that the SSDT tables interact with the BIOS to set voltages etc?

Myles

fq360
02-11-2011, 01:03 AM
hi all well i recently updated my bios to new evga 78 version, i have my own dsdt and ssdt extracted through win 7

all works well apart from apple intel cpu management, keep getting kernel panics withoul nullcpu

seems like im stuck without speedstep/native etc.. and cant revert back to version 44 cause of hexacore support, if anyone wants to look over my dsdt and ssdt for a resolution i can post them up for you

fq360
02-11-2011, 01:19 AM
by way although my dsdt is patched my ssdt has nothing done to it so not sure if p-c states are correctly configured if anyone wants to check i will post for you

thanks

fq360
02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
here is a pic of my KP with Nullcpu removed- says no hpet available

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc317/sj360/IMG_0197.jpg

fq360
02-11-2011, 09:47 PM
guys you are not going to believe this, i am using appleintelcpupower management - no nullcpu kext at all so far in bios i have only enabled speedstep, not sure if its working or not as not quite sure how to check ioreg and extensions

on boot up it did say something about c states but was too quick to read in verbose mode

if someone can chime in and let me know how to check - also one more thing i changed my hpet slightly in DSDT as i compared to xxxslayeriixx and noticed few differences will try with old dsdt see if that is the case post back soon

Mutant_Tractor
02-11-2011, 10:05 PM
@fq360 - Goto console and look at kernel.log ;)

fq360
02-11-2011, 10:12 PM
just rebooted and straight on again here is pic boot verbose showing states and hexacore

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc317/sj360/IMG_0209.jpg

Mutant_Tractor
02-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Great work dude!
What mobo you on?

fq360
02-11-2011, 10:30 PM
e759 classified x58 gonna check kernel log now

fq360
02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
kernel log

Feb 11 21:35:00 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::CPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **
Feb 11 21:35:00 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: W836x: found unsupported chip ID=0x5 REVISION=0x41
Feb 11 21:35:00: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Feb 11 21:35:00 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::CPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
Feb 11 21:35:00 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized
Feb 11 21:35:03 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: USBF: 30. 85 AppleUSBEHCI[0xffffff800ee6e000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 0xfa, timing out! (Addr: 4, EP: 2)
Feb 11 21:35:04 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: W836x: found unsupported chip ID=0x5 REVISION=0x41
Feb 11 21:35:05: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Feb 11 21:35:05 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: USBF: 32. 85 AppleUSBEHCI[0xffffff800ee6e000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 0xfa, timing out! (Addr: 4, EP: 2)
Feb 11 21:35:05 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: W836x: found unsupported chip ID=0x5 REVISION=0x41
Feb 11 21:35:09: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Feb 11 21:35:09 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: [BNBMouseDevice][waitForHandshake][c4-2c-03-bc-09-38] Timeout waiting for handshake
Feb 11 21:35:09 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: [ffffff8010147000][BNBMouseDevice::_simpleSetReport][54] ERROR: setReport returned error 0xe00002d6
Feb 11 21:35:09 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: [ffffff8010147000][BNBMouseDevice::_syncMousePreferences][54] ERROR: _simpleSetReport returned error 0xe00002d6
Feb 11 21:35:09 simon-coopers-iMac kernel[0]: W836x: found unsupported chip ID=0x5 REVISION=0x41

Mutant_Tractor
02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Post up the DSDT by any chance? :)

fq360
02-11-2011, 10:39 PM
so i guess c states not working although appleintcpu pwr man is?

what about appleLPC thats mentioned how do i enable that DSDT?

fq360
02-11-2011, 10:39 PM
wont let me attach?

fq360
02-12-2011, 12:57 AM
need fing apple lpc id to patch in DSDT im using ispci but dont know what to look for regarding dev id?

fq360
02-12-2011, 04:44 PM
got dev id but getting compile errors DSDTSE

fq360
02-12-2011, 10:50 PM
im trying to compile my DSDT with the following code to LPCB
Device (LPCB)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}

however im getting few errors i cant resolve :

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 336: Store (\_SB.SAPF, PIOH)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.SAPF)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 429: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC1, Zero)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC1)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 430: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC2, Zero)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC2)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 431: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC3, Zero)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC3)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 432: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC4, Zero)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC4)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 433: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC5, Zero)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC5)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 434: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC6, Zero)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC6)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 459: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC1, 0x02)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC1)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 464: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC2, 0x02)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC2)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 469: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC3, 0x02)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC3)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 474: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC4, 0x02)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC4)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 479: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC5, 0x02)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC5)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 484: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.UHC6, 0x02)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.UHC6)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 489: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.EHC1, 0x02)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.EHC1)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 490: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.EHC2, 0x02)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.EHC2)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 491: Notify (\_SB.PCI0.IGBE, 0x02)
Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (\_SB.PCI0.IGBE)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 7141: Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
Error 4057 - Name already exists in scope ^ (_DSM)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 8170: Return (SLIC)
Error 4068 - Object is not accessible from this scope ^ (SLIC)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 8645: Device (PCI0.PX40.FWH)
Error 4065 - Object not found or not accessible from scope ^ (PCI0.PX40.FWH)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 8647: Name (_HID, EisaId ("INT0800"))
Error 4068 - Object is not accessible from this scope ^ (_HID)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 8648: Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
Error 4068 - Object is not accessible from this scope ^ (_CRS)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 8650: Name (FWH0, ResourceTemplate ()
Error 4068 - Object is not accessible from this scope ^ (FWH0)

/Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 8657: Return (FWH0)
Error 4068 - Object is not accessible from this scope ^ (FWH0)

ASL Input: /Users/simon-cooper/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 8909 lines, 272387 bytes, 3025 keywords
Compilation complete. 23 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 4 Optimizations

emenelton
03-02-2011, 06:35 PM
I have Everest Ultimate on my Windows XP comp and I am looking for instructions on how to generate SSDT files. I have an EVGA x58 Micro that I am trying to get the idle temps down on.

mm2311
03-16-2011, 06:52 AM
I have the EVGA X58 Board:

141-BL-E761-A1 BIOS 77

I have been having Finder freezing issue, in which I launch Finder or applications only to hang up.

Has anyone played or patched a DSDT for this version. I was just using Airwalk's, but I'd prefer to create my own.

I have ENABLED
- Dummy OC on for 3.2GHZ
- Turbo Mode
- Turbo Performance

Just wondering if anyone else has had these issues, I think it happened after I updated to BIOS 77
Before the BIOS update 10.6.6 was running flawlessly.

mm2311
03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Looks like I resolved it. Just in case your Finder is freezing.

Disable any NTFS drives from automounting.

I had two read/write entries I set in my etc/fstab file to allow for me to write to my Windows 7 drive and my NTFS USB flash drive.

UUID="your hard drive" none ntfs rw,noauto
After the rw, I added the noauto, so that the drives do not mount in FINDER on boot.

Everythings seems to be running smooth now, without applications or Finder freezing.

Let me know if anyone else has had this issue. I went Crazy trying everything else with BIOS settings and kexts.

banini_jeque
03-20-2011, 02:20 AM
@mm2311, can you boot without nullcpupm?

mm2311
03-20-2011, 02:48 AM
I have been trying, but I haven't be able to get it to work yet.

Each time I crash my system i have to boot up Windows 7 recopy to NullCPU back in to the Extra folder.

I have a Snow Leopard for VMWare that I can boot up and attach my Sata drive via USB or I use MacDrive to see the HFS volume in Windows 7.

If anyone has gotten boot up without NullCPU on 141-BL-E761-A1 BIOS 77, please let me know.

banini_jeque
03-20-2011, 09:51 PM
We need a bios expert to help us study the differences between the pre version 44 bios and version 44, because that's where the problem with cpupm starts. I started digging, but I don't understand it well enough. Somebody who really knows bios programming should be able to figure out the issue. Until we get someone like that on board, or someone from EVGA, I think we're all SOL with bios 44 and newer.

JaE-V
03-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Any known issues with 10.6.7 update guys?

emenelton
03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
I have SL 10.6.6 working now with Jae-v and msinfo's p.24 method.

- EVGA x58 Micro/i7950 -
Idle temps are: 38/33/37/33
Geekbench 32: 9587

Network and Audio good Sleep disabled
GFX String Yes

I hope if any one has questions about this board that I can help. I appreciate the work others did and would like to give back.

emenelton

emenelton
03-25-2011, 11:47 PM
I updated my EVGA X58 Micro to 10.6.7 and had no issues.

emenelton
03-26-2011, 12:44 AM
If any kind Hackintosh guru could look at my comsole log.This is what happens to my computer after coming out of sleep. If I don't use sleep I am pretty good. This is not related to the 10.6.7 update. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I apologize if I'm not posting this info correctly.

3/25/11 6:32:57 PM kernel FakeSMC: key info not found CLWK, length - 6
3/25/11 6:32:57 PM configd[14] network configuration changed.
3/25/11 6:32:58 PM kernel System Sleep
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM configd[14] arp_client_transmit(en0) failed, Network is down (50)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM configd[14] bootp_session_transmit: bpf_write(en0) failed: Network is down (50)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM configd[14] DHCP en0: INIT-REBOOT transmit failed
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM configd[14] DHCP en0: ARP detect ROUTER failed, arp_client_transmit(en0) failed, Network is down (50)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel Wake reason = USB4
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel System Wake
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel FakeSMC: key info not found CLWK, length - 6
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel Previous Sleep Cause: 0
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel FakeSMC: key info not found CLWK, length - 6
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.817 USB (EHCI):Port 1 on bus 0xfa - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.817 USB (EHCI):Port 2 on bus 0xfa - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.817 USB (EHCI):Port 3 on bus 0xfa - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.817 USB (EHCI):Port 4 on bus 0xfa - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.817 USB (EHCI):Port 5 on bus 0xfa - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.817 USB (EHCI):Port 6 on bus 0xfa - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.817 USB (EHCI):Port 1 on bus 0xfd - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.818 USB (EHCI):Port 2 on bus 0xfd - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.818 USB (EHCI):Port 3 on bus 0xfd - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.818 USB (EHCI):Port 4 on bus 0xfd - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.818 USB (EHCI):Port 5 on bus 0xfd - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:02 PM kernel USBF: 123.818 USB (EHCI):Port 6 on bus 0xfd - connect status changed but still enabled. clearing enable bit: portSC(0xffffffff)
3/25/11 6:33:07 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:33:10 PM configd[14] network configuration changed.
3/25/11 6:33:10 PM configd[14] network configuration changed.
3/25/11 6:33:12 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:33:17 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:33:22 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:33:27 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:33:32 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:33:37 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:33:42 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:33:47 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:33:52 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:33:57 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:34:02 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:34:07 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:34:12 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
3/25/11 6:34:17 PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!

xxxslayeriiixxx
04-02-2011, 12:09 AM
10.6.7 Update is safe. just had to reinstall my graphics driver for gtx480.

cpress
04-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Looks like I resolved it. Just in case your Finder is freezing.

Disable any NTFS drives from automounting.

I had two read/write entries I set in my etc/fstab file to allow for me to write to my Windows 7 drive and my NTFS USB flash drive.

UUID="your hard drive" none ntfs rw,noauto
After the rw, I added the noauto, so that the drives do not mount in FINDER on boot.

Everythings seems to be running smooth now, without applications or Finder freezing.

Let me know if anyone else has had this issue. I went Crazy trying everything else with BIOS settings and kexts.

I've been having these issues as well. Looks like your fix worked for me. It seems that I cannot have my Windows volume mounted. I can mount my ntfs storage volume, just not the windows................

Thanks for the tip!

xxxslayeriiixxx
04-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Did anyone try Lion yet?

JaE-V
04-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Did anyone try Lion yet?

i've just been waiting til it goes final and doing my reading...should be fairly easy i'm assuming. You?

airwalk776
04-21-2011, 10:15 PM
i've just been waiting til it goes final and doing my reading...should be fairly easy i'm assuming. You?

Just downloaded it last weekend and attempted to do a fresh install on a usb drive and book and double fault KP right away. seems to be that Lion does not use any kind of mkext rather it uses whats known as kernalcache file. Next step is going to be get a working install on my Macbook pro then install boot loader and kext on that drive and try it with the evga machine. Ill keep you posted.

airwalk776
05-06-2011, 01:51 AM
ok finally got around to installing Lion, good news is that it runs just fine with the name Extra folder from snow leopard and same dsdt. Bad news audio doesnt work out of the box. Have to edit legacy889hda or use the applehda.kext from snow leopard.

FYI.. use chameleon 755 boot loader

xxxslayeriiixxx
05-06-2011, 02:03 AM
thats good to know. cant wait to install it after the final release.

JaE-V
06-03-2011, 07:21 PM
ok finally got around to installing Lion, good news is that it runs just fine with the name Extra folder from snow leopard and same dsdt. Bad news audio doesnt work out of the box. Have to edit legacy889hda or use the applehda.kext from snow leopard.

FYI.. use chameleon 755 boot loader

sweet, excellent info...that should make upgrading possible i assume

Mutant_Tractor
06-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi guys,

Me again, I am once again trying to install SL on my machine, have followed the guide by the letter (used a mac to install through os) and extracted and fixed the dsdt but every time I go to boot it just restarts, I have used Wait=Yes to try debug it, the last line it gets to is loading darwin x86_x64 and then when I press enter it restarts instantly, no KP, warning or anything...

Should I revert my bios setting back to default as I am running it at 4.2ghz at the mo (980x) but have. Made sure everything is AHCI (should I be using intel or jmicron sata ports?)

Anyone that has ever had this problem let me know, would help a great deal.

Myles

Mutant_Tractor
06-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Also, I the only thing I have changed from the last time I did this (when it kind of used to work) was the bios, I have also then redone the dsdt to match this, though it shouldn't make a difference as long as the dsdt is patched.

I'm probably doing something very elementary wrong?

JaE-V
06-30-2011, 06:03 PM
What bios and boot-loader are you running? Sure you followed the steps exactly? Shouldn't have a problem....

Anyone else tried the 10.6.8?

Mutant_Tractor
06-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Latest BIOS with Chameleon RC5Pre12... seems to me the latest BIOS may have broken it :/

Followed the instructions to the letter.

JaE-V
07-01-2011, 01:30 PM
yea i haven't touched my bios still running stock out of the box

JaE-V
07-02-2011, 04:57 AM
10.6.8 smooth update, no issues here...guess we're ready for lion...will install the latest beta here soon and report compatibility

JaE-V
07-16-2011, 03:24 PM
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=260594

doesn't get much easier than that...you'll need to delete that appleTyMCE driver *for system to boot* and use your old IOnetworking file from snow as well as a the new voodoohda or etc. if need be. I have an updated extra's folder if anyone needs it for lion..you'll need the new fakesmc

annihil8tion
07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Guys I have had a working system for the longest time.

SL 10.6.6
EVGA X58 Classified
GTX 285 2GB SC
6GB Corsair

My GTX 285 died. I have an XFX Radeon 5850...

Naturally I cannot boot my system. What would be the easiest way to boot it with this card?