PDA

View Full Version : [GUIDE] EVGA X58 Snow Leopard Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567) Installation

Pages : 1 2 [3]

JaE-V
07-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Guys I have had a working system for the longest time.

SL 10.6.6
EVGA X58 Classified
GTX 285 2GB SC
6GB Corsair

My GTX 285 died. I have an XFX Radeon 5850...

Naturally I cannot boot my system. What would be the easiest way to boot it with this card?

you'll have to delete the ati frame buffer files if you can't boot with -x for the system to startup

Extremador
07-22-2011, 12:29 AM
So has anyone gotten 10.7 installed?

I followed the instructions here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html But when it comes to rebooting to the "Installer" partition you make, my computer reboots.

xxxslayeriiixxx
07-22-2011, 08:13 AM
So has anyone gotten 10.7 installed?

I followed the instructions here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html But when it comes to rebooting to the "Installer" partition you make, my computer reboots.

im just going to qoute airwalk. i havnt tried installing Lion yet because i been pretty busy community organizing.

ok finally got around to installing Lion, good news is that it runs just fine with the name Extra folder from snow leopard and same dsdt. Bad news audio doesnt work out of the box. Have to edit legacy889hda or use the applehda.kext from snow leopard.

FYI.. use chameleon 755 boot loader

Extremador
07-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Is using Chameleon 755 going to make a difference though? I got Chimera for all this, and it gets to the installer just fine, starts installing, and sometimes (either at 18 minutes remaining, 12 or 9) it'll freeze or reboot and just... ugh!

I can never ffffing reach the end of it.

convocator
07-23-2011, 08:51 PM
I followed the tonymac guide except for one change, before booting into the Installed partition I booted back into my SL partition and copied my /Extra to Installation folder(DSDT, Extensions, all that).

After that, Lion installed just fine and everything has been working great. I did use an ALC 889 patcher which for the life of me I can't relocate, it was on the tonymac forums though.

JaE-V
07-26-2011, 12:44 AM
i have it running fine, go back to page 40 and read my post, i have an updated extras folder as well if anyone needs it

xxxslayeriiixxx
07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
i have it running fine, go back to page 40 and read my post, i have an updated extras folder as well if anyone needs it
hey jaE-V, good lookin out for the EVGA x58 hackintosh community. Can you post up the updated EXTRA folder? ill update the first post soon.

JaE-V
07-27-2011, 08:06 PM
hey jaE-V, good lookin out for the EVGA x58 hackintosh community. Can you post up the updated EXTRA folder? ill update the first post soon.

As soon as i get home tonight it will be up! There's also a new smbios as well...installation was a breeze

JaE-V
07-28-2011, 05:15 PM
here you go guys

http://www.mediafire.com/?pfd015z2rqpg4g0

Remember grab the ionetworking family kext from 10.6 installation and install after your up and running for your ethernet ports..you can delete my card from the device section in the boot.plist

Version of chameleon i'm running

http://www.mediafire.com/?lcu7eccx4x2p1sc

thedcmule2
07-28-2011, 06:32 PM
I followed this guide but used a different method to do things and it boots up a gray screen with an Apple logo and a circle loader but then it says "hold the power button to restart"...:(

I installed Kalyway onto an external hdd so I can boot into an osx to do this hacking on.

Basically I don't have a retail disc so I tried a retail dmg to grab the OSInstall.mpkg but that shouldnt matter.

dsdt.aml is just the default one from airwalk I couldn't find what "rtc" the original post was talking about.

evga x58 (not sure if exact biosversion/mobomodel is compatible)
gtx 285 sli (but Im only trying to load one so I put my <string> as NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285</string> instead of GTX 285 DDL</string>
6gb ddr3 ram

any ideas on how I can fix this???

thedcmule2
07-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Okay my mistake was keeping my second graphics card plugged in, so I just pulled its cables out and now im perfectly working with 10.6.6 updated + audio.

Problem now: audio sounds pretty lame and low quality compared to my evga audio drivers I had on windows xp/7 =/ any way I can get better sound? I need to use this rig for mixing and music production so its hella important that I get good sound...

Anyone?

PS. I did the update to 10.6.6 should I still download seperate drivers from EVGA for my GTX 285 and chipset etc?

Extremador
07-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Holy shit man... even with your Extra folder I STILL cannot install Lion.

Once it reaches a certain (or certain points) in the installation, it will choose to either go to a black screen (but not restart completely...), freeze, or a KP with, " "You need to restart your computer."

Argh!!!!!!!!

JaE-V
07-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Holy shit man... even with your Extra folder I STILL cannot install Lion.

Once it reaches a certain (or certain points) in the installation, it will choose to either go to a black screen (but not restart completely...), freeze, or a KP with, " "You need to restart your computer."

Argh!!!!!!!!

what guide did you follow? boot with -v and get a screen pic if you can so we can see where it freezes

Extremador
07-29-2011, 10:22 PM
what guide did you follow? boot with -v and get a screen pic if you can so we can see where it freezes

I used the guide you posted on page 40, and it's not even that it freezes while loading the installation or anything like that. I'm talking about wayyyyy after loading everything. Actually, I can't even boot it in verbose because near the end it continuously tells me "waiting for root device" over and over again.

EDIT:

So yeah, I tried again with -v and made it all the way through, but then was presented with this lovely KP:

JaE-V
07-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Go into your bios and post a screenshot of your integrated peripherals page also note bios version, something in there is wrong

JaE-V
07-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Okay my mistake was keeping my second graphics card plugged in, so I just pulled its cables out and now im perfectly working with 10.6.6 updated + audio.

Problem now: audio sounds pretty lame and low quality compared to my evga audio drivers I had on windows xp/7 =/ any way I can get better sound? I need to use this rig for mixing and music production so its hella important that I get good sound...

Anyone?

PS. I did the update to 10.6.6 should I still download seperate drivers from EVGA for my GTX 285 and chipset etc?

For audio if you aren't happy with the sound you can do like i did and purchase some usb speakers, quality is a lot better and they all work out the box plug and play...no need to update graphics drivers, they're included in the system updates, if it works leave it alone lol

Extremador
07-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Here's my Integrated Peripherals

And I have version 6.00.

JaE-V
07-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Here's my Integrated Peripherals

And I have version 6.00.

sorry that's the wrong section i was meaning your pata/sata configuration page

Extremador
07-30-2011, 10:28 PM
sorry that's the wrong section i was meaning your pata/sata configuration page

What? The only other page pertaining to PATA/SATA is actually pressing enter to configure the AHCI options. Which is this:

JaE-V
07-31-2011, 01:25 AM
http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/3oh6/evga/x58sli/bios-5.jpg

should have something like that, make sure its all set to ahci, ahci mode

Extremador
07-31-2011, 07:03 AM
Yeah dude, it is set to AHCI, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to boot into SL.

By the way, what version of the BIOS do you have? I've been wanting that AHCI+IDE option... do I have to flash my BIOS or something?

JaE-V
07-31-2011, 03:08 PM
i've never upgraded my bios from factory knowing i'd never use the board with windows it always creates issues...i think your issue is definitely bios settings, has to be unless you have a different board or something. I believe my splash screen said X58SZ44...so maybe version in the 44's? I see they're in 82 now...maybe someone else can chime in, i'm sure there's talk about bios in this thread

Extremador
08-01-2011, 12:45 AM
How could it be my BIOS settings though? I've never had a problem with it before when installing Leopard or Snow Leopard. I have an EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard.

Audio
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
How could it be my BIOS settings though? I've never had a problem with it before when installing Leopard or Snow Leopard. I have an EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard.

Follow this guide exactly. iBoot+MultiBeast (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html)

After you install the combo update and before using multi-beast as described in the tutorial you need to use DSDT Auto-Patcher (http://olarila.com/auto-patcher/aplist.pl) to extract your DSDT.

I had a few issues with the Installer, but if it doesn't crash these are all the check marks you need to make.

UserDSDT Install
System Utilities (including subgroups)
VoodooHDA 0.2.72
NullCPUPowerManagement (Miscellaneous)
Lnx2Mac's Realtek... (Network)

Don't both with anything under Customization at this point.

If you manage to get 10.6.8 working on your system report back. Would like to see other peoples DSDT's extracted from their system.

When I originally extracted my DSDT I used an older "DSDT Auto-patcher"

Currently I have Lion working with only 3 extra kexts. FakeSMC, Voodoo and the Lnx2Mac. Which I also believe I have Native Speedstep working, but pstates and cstates aren't being generated in the ioreg. The only indication that I believe it's working is I ran CPU-z in 32bit and saw my voltages/cpu speed increase and decrease but CPU-z only initially showed 1 core but after I ran "stress" test only a 2nd cpu showed.

Extremador
08-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Follow this guide exactly. iBoot+MultiBeast (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html)

After you install the combo update and before using multi-beast as described in the tutorial you need to use DSDT Auto-Patcher (http://olarila.com/auto-patcher/aplist.pl) to extract your DSDT.

I had a few issues with the Installer, but if it doesn't crash these are all the check marks you need to make.

UserDSDT Install
System Utilities (including subgroups)
VoodooHDA 0.2.72
NullCPUPowerManagement (Miscellaneous)
Lnx2Mac's Realtek... (Network)

Don't both with anything under Customization at this point.

If you manage to get 10.6.8 working on your system report back. Would like to see other peoples DSDT's extracted from their system.

When I originally extracted my DSDT I used an older "DSDT Auto-patcher"

Currently I have Lion working with only 3 extra kexts. FakeSMC, Voodoo and the Lnx2Mac. Which I also believe I have Native Speedstep working, but pstates and cstates aren't being generated in the ioreg. The only indication that I believe it's working is I ran CPU-z in 32bit and saw my voltages/cpu speed increase and decrease but CPU-z only initially showed 1 core but after I ran "stress" test only a 2nd cpu showed.

I have 10.6.8 running perfectly already man. lol

Extremador
08-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Did you guys give up on this thread? I really want to install Lion so I can re-install Logic Studio all over again. I had to clone my 160 GB hard drive to an 80 GB, so I had to remove Logic Studio in order to do that, and now I'm stuck without it :(

Audio
08-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Did you guys give up on this thread? I really want to install Lion so I can re-install Logic Studio all over again. I had to clone my 160 GB hard drive to an 80 GB, so I had to remove Logic Studio in order to do that, and now I'm stuck without it :(

I'm on Lion, using 3 kexts Linx2Mac, Realtek81XX and FakeSMC. Sleep had 2 issues, currently has 1 now. First issue was CMOS reset a quick google search resolved that. Second issue that I haven't resolved is internet not working, network utility shoes it's still online but no applications can connect to the net.

Also CPU-z under 32bit makes it seem that HPET is working, but for whatever reason I still can't generate Cstates or Pstates.

There's still one annoyance the power led doesn't turn off on the case after a shut down.

jplee4907
08-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Hi Guys...Long time no see!
I see some familiar IDs from insanely mac. 'Hope you all are having a wonderful hackin summer!

Ok, I used tonymacx86's "Xmove" for straight update from snow leopard 10.6.8!

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html

It was smooth and easy ride to Lion as they say. Installing Lion was just like updating another version of SL. You don't even need a USB stick or anything.
Just follow above tonymacx86 thread, you'll be OK.

One thing, I copied my "Extra" Folder and backed up "AppleHDA.kext"
After update to Lion, if not booting as expected, I used "-v -f -x" for booting.
Then, changed my Extra folder.

Good Luck! :)

Veritas
08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Random question but have any of you been able to get a working efi string for a GTX 580 by chance or sound working correctly with the evga x58 FTW motherboard? I'm about to try the stuff you just created Jaev so hopefully that will work but I'm running out of options to do now :(

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-24-2011, 05:46 AM
i also used this method to update to Lion. i had some trouble at first, but after 30 minutes of messing around, i figured it out.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html

i had these files in my extra folder before hand in snow leopard: http://osx86.co/attachment.php?attachmentid=1426&d=1289193581
(if you use this, remember to cater it to your own hardware such as the graphic card string in the boot.plist)

i installed multibeast first to change to mac3,1 since i couldnt install lion with my mac11,1 profile.

After Installing Lion from appstore and rebooting, i installed multibeast again to change my bootloader and other stuff.

I used multibeast with these options checked:

system utilities
Chimera v1.5.4 r1394
PCI configuration fix
changed system definition to macpro 3,1
osx86 software

Then i just followed step 2 to 4 from the link above. i had some trouble booting the installer partition, so what i did was: put a nullCPUpowermanagement kext (google) in the boot drive partition (kext folder) and i also copied the extra folder to the installer partition. I dont know if it was the nullCPUpowermanagement.kext in the kext folder that made it work or putting the EXTRA folder in the "installer" partition. After installing Lion, i updated my kext with JaE-V's kext folder: http://www.mediafire.com/?pfd015z2rqpg4g0 (Just the kext folder, not the whole EXTRA folder)

*really messy way to install Lion...., but im just posting to remind myself next time if i mess up my install.

JaE-V
10-21-2011, 02:27 AM
Looks like 10.7.2 broke my system, i'm getting the black screen. I know its video. Slayer if you could post your dsdt and boot.plist if you got the update installed i'd greatly appreciate it. Apparently mine isn't doing the trick.

xxxslayeriiixxx
10-21-2011, 10:29 AM
wassup! the solution is simple. You need to generate a new gtx285 string. btw im A_RocC on Insanelymac

When you get the files from aquamac for your GTX285, change the in.plist before you generate your EFI string.

I just followed this method.

THX goes to zoliky for the fix!

I've used the fix to edit my plist and was able to generate a new EFI String thats now working like before and backwards compatible!

A short guide:
Locate the following section in your in.plist or what ever you called it:

Replace NVDA,GeForce with NVDA,Parent.

Generate a new EFI String and insert it into your org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

That's it!

and if you integrated your gfx string into your dsdt heres the solution (basically the same as the first)

Black Screen FIX (DSDT Injection):

Replace:

"device_type"
Buffer (0x0D)
{
"NVDA,Geforce"
}

with:

"device_type"
Buffer (0x0C)
{
"NVDA,Parent"
}
PS. My iCloud and Appstore does not work. I've tried different bootloaders already. Ive tried deleting my network preferences, and ive tried modifying my smbios.plist. Nothing is working!!! If someone can also try to help figure this out, itll be greatly appreciated. Ive been pulling my hair trying to get this to work because i just recently got an iPhone 4s.

xxxslayeriiixxx
10-21-2011, 12:07 PM
btw an idiot admin banned me at the kexts.com website for pointing out that an OSX86 website already exist. They changed thier website from kexts.com to osx86.net

JaE-V
10-21-2011, 01:27 PM
LOL wow, thanks a lot for this man...i guess i'll delete those nvd50 files to see if i can get back into my installation

xxxslayeriiixxx
10-21-2011, 01:30 PM
is your icloud working?

xxxslayeriiixxx
10-21-2011, 10:19 PM
After 2 days i finally got icloud and appstore working.

I updated to the latest chameleon using CHAMPLIST. (chameleon v2.1 VS 1642) and generated a new SMBIOS thru champlist (macpro3,1) and the most vital part, i generated a ethernet efi string and combined both eth and gfx string.

Heres what my "in.plist" looks like before generating the strings thru gfxutil.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1c,0x2)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>built-in</key>
<string>0x01</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>@0,AAPL,boot-display</key>
<string></string>
<key>@0,can-hot-plug</key>
<string></string>
<key>@0,compatible</key>
<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
<key>@0,device_type</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@0,name</key>
<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
<key>@1,can-hot-plug</key>
<string></string>
<key>@1,compatible</key>
<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
<key>@1,device_type</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@1,name</key>
<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
<key>AAPL,aux-power-connected</key>
<string>0x00000001</string>
<key>AAPL,gart-width</key>
<integer>64</integer>
<key>AAPL,backlight-control</key>
<string>0x00000000</string>
<key>AAPL00,blackscreen-preferences</key>
<key>AAPL01,blackscreen-preferences</key>
<key>NVCAP</key>
<data>BAAAAAAAAwAcAAAAAAAACgAAAAA=</data>
<key>NVPM</key>
<data>AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
<key>NVDA,Features</key>
<string>0x108006ff</string>
<key>IONVRAMProperty</key>
<true/>
<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
<string>0x60000000</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>1. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 DDL/HDMI</string>
<key>rm_board_number</key>
<data>AAAAAA==</data>
<key>rm_multiboard_capable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>rom-revision</key>
<string>0x34333433</string>
<key>subsystem-id</key>
<string>0x00001080</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

JaE-V
10-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Nice! Share that smbios!

xxxslayeriiixxx
10-23-2011, 05:38 AM
Nice! Share that smbios!

here you go.
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Copyright</key>
<string>SMBios by 7ender @ InMac.org Created with Champlist.app</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>YM823BARXYK</string>
</dict>
</plist>

JaE-V
10-23-2011, 04:08 PM
thank goodness, finally up and running again..that was a PITA...i did the ethernet string as well, i don't have an iCloud device to test unfortunately

JaE-V
10-27-2011, 09:09 PM
You guys on google+? The night after i got my system up and running i popped my case opened and pulled the board and stuff out for cleaning and broke a piece on my motherboard like the smartest person on the planet :( had to order a new board from evga it should get here today i guess its a different revision number. Hope it doesn't create any issues

ScAwN7
10-29-2011, 11:42 PM
I have posted a tutorial that follows my steps for a flawless Lion 10.7 fresh install here (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=36909&p=232859#p232859). I invite any of you to add comments or suggestions. If you have any photos that would make this tutorial better that you would like to offer, I will happily add these along with any additional information you feel is necessary.

JaE-V
11-01-2011, 02:43 AM
tutorial looks good man, i'll probably have to use it as my hard drive with all my information on it died today...this month has been a bad one for my computing

xxxslayeriiixxx
11-10-2011, 08:43 AM
I have posted a tutorial that follows my steps for a flawless Lion 10.7 fresh install here (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=36909&p=232859#p232859). I invite any of you to add comments or suggestions. If you have any photos that would make this tutorial better that you would like to offer, I will happily add these along with any additional information you feel is necessary.
you're awesome. thank you very much!

ScAwN7
11-14-2011, 03:05 AM
Thanks slayer. The only thing that doesn't appear to be working is sleep. I honestly found this out by mistake today when I accidentally clicked the sleep button and it wouldn't come out of it without hitting reset. It's not a feature I will use, but I would like to get it working. I just haven't looked into it yet.

ScAwN7
11-20-2011, 08:52 AM
xxxslayeriiixxx, I want to start getting speedstep and native power management working, but I am concerned about just jumping to Airwalk's SL method and using it for Lion. After reading Airwalk's post (http://osx86.co/f57/guide-evga-x58-snow-leopard-mac-os-x-t3854/post50752.html) about power management and comparing it to my tutorial, it appears I need to do the following steps:

1. Downgrade my BIOS to E758_SZ2Z (I've already obtained those but not flashed yet).
2. Remove NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, and PlatformUUID from /S/L/E folder (I already have the rest of the required kexts in use).
3. Add ssdt-1.aml and ssdt.aml to my /Extras folder.

After that, it gets a bit fuzzy. I'm not sure what to do about the smbios, boot.plist, and dsdt files. I'm currently using Airwalk's DSDT so I should be fine there. The smbios and boot.plist files you included have a lot more stuff in them, but from my minimal understanding, I don't believe it is all necessary. Here is what my files currently have in them and I have included my system specs at the bottom to see if you can help me.

-----org.chameleon.Boot.plist-----
===================================
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Blackosx_Default_II</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
</dict>
</plist>

-----smbios.plist-----
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacPro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>XX111111XXX</string>
</dict>
</plist>

System specs:
Intel Core i7 920
EVGA x58 SLI
Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3 1600
Zotac GTX 560 Ti OC
Patriot Torqz2 128GB SSD (OSX install)
WD 500GB 7200rpm (Windows 7 has 400GB / OSX Adobe Scratch Disk has 100GB)
WD 1TB Green driver (contains all music, pictures, videos)

nativestate
12-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey Guys,

It's been sometime since my bios has been updated. Curious if you guys had any suggestions for updating my bios without losing my install and my Overclock settings. Cheers

Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Intel Core i7 2.66 O/C @ 3.39
Ram 6GB
EVGA X58 Bios: SZ2S

JaE-V
12-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Hey Guys,

It's been sometime since my bios has been updated. Curious if you guys had any suggestions for updating my bios without losing my install and my Overclock settings. Cheers

Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Intel Core i7 2.66 O/C @ 3.39
Ram 6GB
EVGA X58 Bios: SZ2S

my motherboard died and evga sent me a new board with the updated bios...i'm going to attempt to get my install back up and running this weekend and will report back

*you should be able to create a profile to backup your bios settings

Extremador
05-17-2012, 01:32 AM
So recently I tried installing SL on my computer again. I installed it from my brother's Hackintosh and then, after booting into the iAtkos L2 boot loader, I was able to actually boot right into SL.

None of my stuff worked. I installed a Realtek kext, and 1 minute later my internet was alive. Then I went and installed Chameleon 2.1 and was able to somehow inject the code for my GTX 560 (which supposedly isn't supported).

I restarted everything and then came back to find out the EFI inject worked (it started at 1920x1080, and loaded the gray Apple screen at 1080) but then it never started. I rebooted with -v and then had this error:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin --- something about Realtek RTL8139 (if I'm not mistaken) at the end.

Upon rebooting, my BIOS had been reset.

I keep trying to reinstall SL onto the hard drive using the same method as before, but I keep coming to the same damn KP.

What am I doing wrong here?

Extremador
05-23-2012, 03:51 PM
No one knows what's going on? I thought for sure that by the time I got back from vacation I'd have an answer and be able to install it again :(

Extremador
05-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Dammit! I had it installed again (except that I could not get it to work with my GTX 560) I installed Chameleon 2.1 and after rebooting, I got the most annoying goddamn error ever.

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start blahblahblah.

FML. I can't properly install Snow Leopard or Lion anymore, and no one knows what's happening.

Extremador
05-25-2012, 07:01 AM
I still have not managed to install SL or Lion directly from my machine.

My brothers machine was the one that was helping me install SL, but now his doesn't boot to desktop either so we're both stuck.

I really want to get this installed cause I hate dealing with computers for more than 1-2 days. It's been like 1-2 weeks.

JaE-V
06-11-2012, 09:27 PM
You have me lost...not sure exactly what problem your having. If you post some more details I may be able to help you out. I've been away for a while but i still check this thread often

thedcmule2
07-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Guys, does anyone know how I update this properly? After following all the steps (before the manual updating and audio fix) my About This Mac window says its Version 10.6. Now when I use automatic software update to get to 10.6.8 my computer has major login issues, hangs, freezes, etc.

How do I manually update? I googled osx 10.6.8 update, downloaded it, but it says you need a minimum of 10.6.7 to do it. So I googled that and it says you need 10.6.6...so the ongoing chain here is not gonna work.

airwalk776
07-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Whats up gents, Its about that time of the year again I guess anyone try 10.8 GM yet, I'm downloading it now will report back what I find.

I dont anticipate any issues with 10.8 but you never know.

gils
07-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Whats up gents, Its about that time of the year again I guess anyone try 10.8 GM yet, I'm downloading it now will report back what I find.

hello ,

In the box !!! :cool:

http://www.mac-on-pc.fr/index.php?file=Forum&page=viewtopic&forum_id=2&thread_id=7715

airwalk776
07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Got Mountain Lion GM running on the EVGA x58 everything is working except power management. I will post a quick howto later on tonight.

JaE-V
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM

lol yea its about that time...i'll give it a go here in a day or so

JaE-V
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Got Mountain Lion GM running on the EVGA x58 everything is working except power management. I will post a quick howto later on tonight.

sweet, let me know how you got it going...haven't tried it yet

buckeyes1995
07-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi all-

Been running my hackintosh nearly flawlessly on my E760 under both Lion and now Mountain Lion. I have never been able to get sleep/wake to work. Similarly, shutdown doesn't fully work either.

Both shutdown and sleep exhibit the same symptoms.. computer/monitor appear to power off, but fans are still running. In the sleep case, I cannot wake it back up.

Any suggestions?

I'm running Bios 83.

JaE-V
07-28-2012, 04:13 PM
honestly it has never reallly worked...what video card do you have and with what driver? that has a lot to do with shut down

buckeyes1995
07-28-2012, 06:17 PM
honestly it has never reallly worked...what video card do you have and with what driver? that has a lot to do with shut down

I've got a GTX 570, using the latest Mac drivers from Nvidia.

JaE-V
07-29-2012, 03:27 PM
I've got a GTX 570, using the latest Mac drivers from Nvidia.

Installation method? Snow, lion, or ML? What kexts do you have in your extras folder?

buckeyes1995
07-31-2012, 12:09 AM
Hey there..

Standard install using Unibeast 1.4 w/ Mountain Lion GM build. Only kext I have is IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.

I'm using a custom DSDT I created and patched (HPET, etc.).

I'm using the patched AppleIntelCPU kext in lieu of Nullpower.

buckeyes1995
08-11-2012, 01:32 PM

Airwalk,

Any chance you can post this how to? Would love to know if it's possible to get shutdown/sleep working on my E760 w/ GTX 570.

thanks.

Nothingwise
08-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I have Mnt. Lion running on a EVGA x58 SLI LE with nothing more than a patched DSDT and sound and ethernet kexts. The system is overclocked to 4.2GHz with 24GB ram and an ATI 5870. Sleep works, power management works, speedstep, no orange icons, DVD player, etc. Here is the process I used:

- I am using bios S71H - the first one with HPET and last one that allowed native power management on my logic board. I also have the usual stuff set in the bios like AHCI and S3 for sleep. I did not turn on C1E as I have speedstep enabled and am running as a MacPro 5.1.

- Installed Mnt. Lion from a 8GB USB drive using FakeSMC (with plugins so I can check temps) and NullCPUPowerManagement. I also had to remove AppleTyMCE (otherwise I would get KP on startup due to not having ECC RAM).

- Once that was done I installed Chameleon-2.1svn-r2050, RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90 for ethernet, and replaced the current AppleHDA.kext with a patched 10.7.4 AppleHDA.kext for my ALC889 onboard audio. I installed the kexts with KextUtility. I removed NullCPUPowerManagement from S/L/E.

- I then put my edited DSDT and smbios into Extra on the root of my drive and patched AppleRTC to keep the bios from resetting after sleep.
Patch for AppleRTC.kext of MountainLion - fixes cmos reset after wake from sleep

Make backup of the folder /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext

"sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC"

Then update kernel caches:

"sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel; sudo kextcache -system-caches"

Hope that helps someone with their setup!

The only issue I have is that sometimes the system will not shutdown all the way. OS and monitor shutdown but fans keep running, thus requiring me to press and hold the power button. Other times it shuts down no problem (even the led on the front of the case).

I have attached my edited DSDT (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6960249/Extra/dsdt.aml), boot.plst (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6960249/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist), and smbios (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6960249/Extra/smbios.plist).

Maybe someone can check out my DSDT and see if there is an issue with my shutdown code. :)

JaE-V
08-26-2012, 04:10 AM
i have the LE board as well and haven't been able to put my finger on why my install partitions are not booting...i've tried creating the installer on a thumb drive (system hangs and will not boot past bios menu with usb connected) and also on a partitioned internal drive (volume not bootable)...got exhausted and gave up...give it another try tomorrow

Nothingwise
08-26-2012, 04:09 PM
i have the LE board as well and haven't been able to put my finger on why my install partitions are not booting...i've tried creating the installer on a thumb drive (system hangs and will not boot past bios menu with usb connected) and also on a partitioned internal drive (volume not bootable)...got exhausted and gave up...give it another try tomorrow

Try using this guide for making your mnt. lion usb.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=280756

and check your bios settings to make sure AHCI and whatnot is set.

JaE-V
08-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Oh yea trust me i've been through every guide lol...not sure what my problem is, bios settings are fine...been running a perfect Lion install for quite some time now. Creating the installer is not a problem...my system just completely freezes with the usb device connected then-after reboot. I think its my bios, what version are you running? Have the installer? NVM, found it...still no dice

Nothingwise
08-26-2012, 11:25 PM
do you have the same problem with a differnet usb or when switching ports?

I am using E757_S71H for my bios. It shouldn't make a difference but I was pressing ESC to bring up the boot menu after post and selecting the usb (not selecting it from the boot order under the bios).

Did you install chameleon to your usb? Are you getting past post? Are you running overclocked?

JaE-V
08-26-2012, 11:37 PM
I've changed all variables, ports, devices, and all. Chameleon is installed, i've also used the utilities from tonymacx86 to create the bootable partitions as well when the manual method wasn't working. unibeast and xmove..the partitions it creates just halts my system...i'll even boot into bios and then connect the usb and it just freezes the system in bios...I can then take the same created installer and connect it to an internal sata port and the device isn't bootable for some strange reason. I've recently tried using a bootcd (rboot) and it doesn't detect a bootable partition. lol and i also get ebios block errors with a non detected partition using my existing install to boot the installer.

JaE-V
08-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Alright so really fixed it this time last night after 5 long days of pulling my hair out. Getting rusty after all of these years lol, this was one of the things that you'll never find a fix online for. It may just be the lion installer i downloaded but anywho it wasn't completing the handshake at the end of the installation of anything pertaining to a boot volume and leaving me with a corrupted partition. After repairing the source installation created partition it updated the boot support and i was able to get installed. Certain i'll have the rest up and running but i went to bed happy :) I highly recommend you guys pick up SSD drives for ML, it is quite amazing

Nothingwise
08-31-2012, 12:30 AM
SSDs are great no matter what OS you use =). Don't forget to pick up TrimEnabler (http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322) for your SSD as Lion and ML wont enable it for aftermarket drives.

JaE-V
08-31-2012, 06:11 PM
good note, i'll make sure to install that

pellet
09-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I had a similar booting problem, when I installed from a usb drive to another usb drive. When the computer was booting up it would get stuck/freeze indefinetly whenever I hooked in the drive which it was installed to, even if I plugged in the drive while moving through the BIOS settings it would freeze my computer. However when I hooked the drive up directly with SATA it had no problem... I have a feeling the BIOS version I am on just shits itself with certain boot sectors...

JaE-V
09-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Mountain lion has made it clearly obvious i need to update my hardware lol...gonna pick up one of the z68 evga boards and a 2600k with a new video card

xxxslayeriiixxx
09-14-2012, 11:22 PM
anybody update directly from 10.7 to 10.8 succesfully? Getting a clean install is too much of a hassle because i have too many files to transfer.

nativestate
01-22-2013, 10:58 AM
2.5yr evga x58 Snow leopard install needs a reformat. Any guides/updates on doing a fresh/new snow leopard install on baby?

Evga x58 132-BL-E758-A1

nativestate
01-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Got my Fresh install of Snow leopard.

But no luck with macapp store..

org.chameleon.Boot

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>busratio=20 arch=i386 boot-uuid=62564D06-EC43-3E4A-8C0A-A2EB13786A0B</string>
<key>Quiet Boot<key>
<string>Yes<string>
<key>GUI<key>
<string>No<string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32</string>
<key>device-properties</key>

<string>cd0300000100000001000000c10300001500000002010c00d0 41030a010000000101060000030101060000007fff04003a00 0000400032002c0068007700730065006e0073006f0072002d 0070006100720061006d0073002d0076006500720073006900 6f006e000000080000000000000222000000400032002c0064 00650076006900630065005f00740079007000650000001200 00004e5644412c6770752d64696f64650e0000004e00560050 004d0000002000000001000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000001e00000072006f006d002d0072 00650076006900730069006f006e0000000900000033313732 61100000004e00560043004100500000001800000004000000 000003000c000000000000070000000022000000400032002c 002300730069007a0065002d00630065006c006c0073000000 080000000000000022000000400030002c0064006500760069 00630065005f00740079007000650000000b00000064697370 6c6179100000006d006f00640065006c0000001a0000004e56 49444941204765466f72636520393630302047541400000040 0030002c006e0061006d0065000000120000004e5644412c44 6973706c61792d4120000000400032002c0063006f006d0070 0061007400690062006c0065000000160000004e5644412c73 656e736f722d706172656e7414000000400031002c006e0061 006d0065000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d42 12000000400032002c00720065006700000008000000000000 021c0000006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000 65000000100000004e5644412c4765466f7263652000000040 0031002c0063006f006d00700061007400690062006c006500 00000e0000004e5644412c4e564d616326000000400032002c 0023006100640072006500730073002d00630065006c006c00 7300000008000000000000010e0000006e0061006d00650000 000f0000004e5644412c506172656e7422000000400031002c 006400650076006900630065005f0074007900700065000000 0b000000646973706c617920000000400030002c0063006f00 6d00700061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644 412c4e564d6163220000005600520041004d002c0074006f00 740061006c00730069007a0065000000080000000000002036 000000400032002c00680077006300740072006c002d007000 6100720061006d0073002d00760065007200730069006f006e 000000080000000000000214000000400032002c006e006100 6d00650000001100000073656e736f722d706172656e74</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and...

smbios.plist....

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMUUID</key>
<string>62564D06-EC43-3E4A-8C0A-A2EB13786A0B</string>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>01/22/10</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP41.88Z.0081.B08.1001221313</string>
<string>Mac-F221BEC8</string>