View Single Post

Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 AM

well i do agree with both points. If you can go vanilla then go vanilla. But if you have some odd or rare hardware combination then use a distro that caters for it. One of the biggest issues is if ppl would do a bit of research before they attempted what they tried to do they may be much more successfull with other distros. The end user wants a total plug and play solution but this is almost impossible to attain. The reason being there will always be fresh hardware. The usual install for me now is vanilla thanks to the new kernel. And for anyone else would always reccomend only installing with just the chipset kext and right kernel. As this gives more chance of a initial boot and then when installing fresh kext tracking the one that made it fall over. What I will state again is i think we need a push for just a usb pendrive image that makes a retail dvd boot and copies kexts and kernel over as this would only be a few MB to download. Also PCWiz I think your the man to help me with the parts I cant manage with this type of distro. PM me if your interested