InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 11-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Jaguar

Hi,

Anybody made Sleep working faster? Since I upgraded to 10.6.2, my sleep (updated) works but it takes about 45secs to 1min to fully sleep (fans not spinning). The moment I click "sleep" the screen goes black then, wait until it fully turns off (45secs). Before, as soon as I clicked sleep, it only takes 2 secs.

I already updated the NullCPU..kext and the 10.6.2 SleepEnabler from Netkas blog. I made sure that the kext are loaded.

Also,

I noticed that dsdt was updated.

And I think the update is this:

Device (PWRB)
{
Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (0x0B)
}
}

What does this do?

Is it related to the powerbutton?

Thank you.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Cheetah

Got it working

Thanks Andy, this was timely! I extracted an unmodified DSDT for my system by booting from a Linux live CD and it had this same problem when I tried to compile it with iasl. Combined with the updated instructions and reference DSDT from sk1nhd33t, I was able to modify it and seem to have a fully working system! I'm using the SleepEnabler for 10.6.2 from code.google.com (the Netkas binary patched version didn't work for me), and the HDA and HDAEnabler kexts posted by swhay for audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy GA View Post
2 Errors with DST - Solved

I also had the 2 errors and looked at the lines giving the errors and compared that part of the DSDT to the one in the E2SL Kit. I had to change the Method (_MSG lines from Store (Local0, Local0) to Store ("Local0", Local0) because the quotes were missing in the extraction. The lines should look like below:

Method (_MSG, 1, NotSerialized)
{
Store ("Local0", Local0)
}

Method (_SST, 1, NotSerialized)
{
Store ("Local0", Local0)

After making this change it compiled without errors but with warnings. The dsdt.aml worked fine.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Cheetah

Fast Sleep Working in 10.6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
Anybody made Sleep working faster? Since I upgraded to 10.6.2, my sleep (updated) works but it takes about 45secs to 1min to fully sleep (fans not spinning). The moment I click "sleep" the screen goes black then, wait until it fully turns off (45secs). Before, as soon as I clicked sleep, it only takes 2 secs.
My 10.6.2 machine takes 2-3 seconds to fully sleep. Here is how I updated from 10.6.0 to 10.6.2 using skn1hd3t's guide as a reference on a Rev 2.0 MB.

● I ran the MacOSXUpd10.6.1 install package choosing my Snow Leopard partition and re-booted
● I ran myHack_Installer_1.0_RC3_r32 from the 10/9/09 ES2L Kit originally posted by skn1hd33t choosing my Snow Leopard partition as the destination and under Customize excluded SleepEnabler, so I put a check on the ff:

- Core
- com.apple.Boot.plist
- GraphicsEnabler
- fakesmc
- NullCPUPowermanagement
- OpenHaltRestart
- PlatformUUID

● I made a new dstl.aml using the DSDTSE application from this guide and put it in /Extra. skn1hd3t has a new procedure for this now on pg. 1 which I haven't tried. I think you can skip this step as all my original edits were still in the extracted dsdt.dsl file.
● I checked /Extra/Extensions to see if SleepEnabler.kext was in it. (Remove it if it is there). My /Extension folder had the ff:

- fakesmc.kext
- LegacyALC883.kext
- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
- OpenHaltRestart.kext
- PlatformUUID.kext

● I edited the com.apple.Boot.plist and saved it. This step is probably not necessary as you will repeat it after installing 10.6.2 as noted below. Each time myHack Installer is run, this file gets altered and can be updated prior to running pfix2.2.1 so that the right Theme etc. will load. Mine looks like ff.:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>bootcamp</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

● I ran pfix2.2.1 choosing my Snow Leopard partition (it takes about 5 minutes to complete) and then rebooted
● I ran the MacOSXUpd10.6.2 install package choosing my Snow Leopard partition and rebooted
● I repeated the steps above, starting with myHack_Installer through pfix2.2.1 only I put the SleepEnabler.kext from netkas.org in /Extra/Extensions before running pfix2.2.1. Do not check SleepEnabler on the myHack Installer.
● Reboot and your sleep should work fine. Remember to set your sound output back to Internal Speaker as this always gets changed in the update process.

I suspect this process could be shortened, but this is what worked for me and I haven't tried going back and skipping steps as my system is now working fine.

A couple of times my system froze upon waking (spinning pinwheel). It hasn't happened recently, but if it does, I will try the SleepEnabler that is mentioned below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4mac View Post
I'm using the SleepEnabler for 10.6.2 from code.google.com (the Netkas binary patched version didn't work for me), and the HDA and HDAEnabler kexts posted by swhay for audio.

Last edited by Andy GA; 11-22-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Cheetah

Help with sound on G41M-ES2L

I am going insane in the membrane here, your guide is the best I have found. Simple to follow although once I have completed this task I want to post an my own "Idiots Guide to G41M-ES2L", all is working except audio ALC888B. Which there is a number of version floating around like "http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182655" . Which simply do not work mainly because people have posted a fix that they themselves have not actually tried. I have a G31M-ES2L but 2x G41M-ES2L which seems to still be available to purchase where the G31 is not. Can you shed some light on this? and maybe point us to a fix that works with your bootloader and the ALC888B codec. Thanks a million.

Last edited by macman20; 11-23-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:22 AM
Cheetah

GA-G31M-ES2L Rev 2.0 Still Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman20 View Post
I have a G31M-ES2L but 2x G41M-ES2L which seems to still be available to purchase where the G31 is not.
macman20, I don't know where you live, but here in the States, the GA-G31M-ES2L Rev. 2 board is still available. I just bought one last week from Newegg and it works great with the addition of a graphics and network card as the onboard LAN does not have a working driver currently. Here is the link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=ga-g31m-es2l
Old 11-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Jaguar

Probably a dumb question but...

I have a working system based on the instructions here, no real issues to be honest so thanks for all the hard work.

I'm trying to upgrade to 10.6.2, I realise the sleepenabler.kext needs changing but read on for my problem.

I cannot find a definitive answer to despite a lot of searching is exactly how does one remove a kext (e.g. sleepenabler), rebuild, reinstall a kext and rebuild. Phrases such as "deinstall the sleepenabler.kext and then reinstall" are bandied around as if these are normal activities.

My assumption is that I do something similar to:

1. cd into the right /extensions directory,
2. rm or rather mv the sleepenabler.kext to somewhere else safe.
3. rebuild the kext cache <-- This is the bit thats odd, I read so many different things, such as ox86tools or kextinstal but they always seem to be fragments of information. Is this pcifix or some other tool?
4. Reboot
5. Update to 10.6.2
6. Install the new updated sleepenabler.kext into the right directory. Again I assume a simple copy is sufficient.
7. Rebuild the kext cache - See point 3.

I have a good working system and do not want to screw it up with messing around with the kext's in a way I don't understand so any help welcomed.

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

Rob.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Cheetah

Has anyone manage to get audio to work in 64bit on this mobo, if yes, can you share please, I would like to know how you did it. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Cheetah

This worked for me:
Updated to 10.6.2 but did not restart
I removed sleepenabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions (also placed LegacyALC883.kext in there)
Placed new netkas sleepenabler.kext into /Extra/Extensions
Then i deletedExtensions.mkext from /Extra
Ran Kext Utility from here
Rebooted and everything cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillett View Post
I have a working system based on the instructions here, no real issues to be honest so thanks for all the hard work.

I'm trying to upgrade to 10.6.2, I realise the sleepenabler.kext needs changing but read on for my problem.

I cannot find a definitive answer to despite a lot of searching is exactly how does one remove a kext (e.g. sleepenabler), rebuild, reinstall a kext and rebuild. Phrases such as "deinstall the sleepenabler.kext and then reinstall" are bandied around as if these are normal activities.

My assumption is that I do something similar to:

1. cd into the right /extensions directory,
2. rm or rather mv the sleepenabler.kext to somewhere else safe.
3. rebuild the kext cache <-- This is the bit thats odd, I read so many different things, such as ox86tools or kextinstal but they always seem to be fragments of information. Is this pcifix or some other tool?
4. Reboot
5. Update to 10.6.2
6. Install the new updated sleepenabler.kext into the right directory. Again I assume a simple copy is sufficient.
7. Rebuild the kext cache - See point 3.

I have a good working system and do not want to screw it up with messing around with the kext's in a way I don't understand so any help welcomed.

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

Rob.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Jaguar

Black screen after 10.6.2

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I followed your instructions and did an upgrade to 10.6.2. It seemed to go OK until the machine rebooted. The iHack screen appears, it all looks OK until I get to the where the login screen should be.

A black screen appears with a mouse cursor. The mouse cursor works, I can move it around, but it's still a black screen. If I press the interrupt button on my PC the correct screen momentarily appears (all the Finder windows and icons etc) and then the machine reboots.If I leave the machine overnight then press the space button all the Apple desktop appears. It doesn't appear after only 15 minutes though.

My card is a Asus badged Nividia 9600GT with 512MB RAM. It worked well under 10.6.1.

Any suggestions at all?

Thanks
Rob.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Cheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
The built-in Intel GMA 3100 (not GMA X3100) is not compatible with either Leo or Snow Leo. It will work but you won't have QI/CE (VESA only) thus making it suck a lot - such as No resolution change, you might have problems watching videos, can't run a lot of programs that are QI/CE dependent, and lots more.

If you can stand that, you can just go ahead and install it while waiting for your dedicated video card.

BTW, when you decide to purchase the video card, make sure it is 100% compatible.
It seems my optiplex 755 does just fine with a gma 3100 in leopard. but in snow it kinda blows me off...

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.