InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonlpc View Post
Thank you for all the input and effort here. I have a P5K-Premium mobo and get all components work after reading this thread. But the only matter remaining is that the volume of the Microphone is extremely low! I almost can't hear my voice in Skype or other apps even though I shout out laud. I am sure I select the right input device, for me it is "external mic", 'cause I can hear some noise if i blow into the mic. Has anyone solved this issue? Please help me out here, thanks a lot!
Just wondering if you have upped your input levels in the Audio Midi
Setup.app ?
You can find it in Applications/Utilities.
I get good results recording from both mic inputs and also from line-in.
Good luck
Old 11-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Cheetah

A Long Road

This thread has absolutely been the most helpful thread on my long road to a stable SL install. Thank you so much.

I've had a hackintosh for some time. I was a distro kiddie for a long time; Kalyway mostly. They ran well but I think it was going from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 that I lost my Mac partition for a few months because I tried to take an Apple System Update. Well that was enough to convince me that a vanilla install was the path to take.

A vanilla install has meant going from a simple distro to Chameleon bootloader and DSDT patching. I'm pretty happy with the results. Here's where I'm at now:

Asus P5K-e (bios 1202)
2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
4GB 800MHz DDR2
disabled JMicron ATA in bios

Completed:
vanilla install
Chameleon install
DSDT patch for: audio, USB, SATA

To Do:
DSDT patch for: Time Machine, Sleep, Speedstep
uninstall 7900GS/install Radeon 4670
double-check RTC fix was in my last dsdt edit
move to EFI partition

As I've lumbered along I did encounter some things that befuddled me. Here are some residual questions I'd like some feedback on:

1. /Extra/Extension.mkext

My DSDT.aml file would not work for the longest time but as soon as I built an Extensions.mkext I suddenly had sound. Is this a necessity? The Chameleon documentation seems to make it optional.

2. DSDT.aml vs dsdt.aml

Must this be capitalized? Is a specific key entry in com.apple.Boot.plist necessary? (ex: r(2,1)/Extra/DSDT.aml

3. EFI Strings... um where?

Ok. I used OSX86Tools to get my 7900GS running. Worked fine but everytime I look at /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist my efi strings are not in there. I do a spotlight search for com.apple.Boot.plist and none of the ones on my hard drive have the strings? What the heck is OSX86Tools patching? Where are my EFI strings? I need to know to uninstall my 7900GS and stick in the new card.

I know it's a stupid question but I just could not find the edit anywhere.

4. Kextcache on EFI partition

Through this process, to protect my OS install, I've experimented on a spare USB drive before implementing a change on my production partition. The only difference between the two is that USB drive has boot and /Extra on the EFI partition.

After I had success with an Extensions.mkext I attempted to create one on my USB EFI partition but got all kinds of ownership errors on the /Extra/Extensions. I never could create the Extensions.mkext there.

I did chmod/chown the EFI contents. I believe the kextcache command went something like:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

Thanks again for a really great thread. I feel like I can see the finish line.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_rider View Post
A vanilla install has meant going from a simple distro to Chameleon bootloader and DSDT patching. I'm pretty happy with the results. Here's where I'm at now:

Asus P5K-e (bios 1202)
2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
4GB 800MHz DDR2
disabled JMicron ATA in bios

Completed:
vanilla install
Chameleon install
DSDT patch for: audio, USB, SATA
One of the most important details and the one I always have to ask :
What version of Chameleon are you using ? rc 2 rc3 ?
If you are using other than Chameleon 2.0-RC3 please install this version before you continue reading.

Quote:
As I've lumbered along I did encounter some things that befuddled me. Here are some residual questions I'd like some feedback on:

1. /Extra/Extension.mkext

My DSDT.aml file would not work for the longest time but as soon as I built an Extensions.mkext I suddenly had sound. Is this a necessity? The Chameleon documentation seems to make it optional.
Here is how this works:
In order to have sound working you need to do 2 things: put a dummy kext called AD1988BFix.kext either in /SnowVolume/Extra/Extensions or SnowVolume/System/Lybrary/Extensions AND add some strings in your DSDT.aml.

You don't have to do a new Extensions.mkext just because you modified something in your DSDT.aml, but because you have added a new kext (AD1988Fix.kext)
That's why your sound started to work after you rebuild your new Extensions.mkext.

About the Extensions.mkext and system extensions.

Extensions.mkext it's a cache of your current set of kexts . Every time you start your"mac", the system will load the extensions from this Extensions.mkext to avoid reading all the kexts and improve the boot time. That's why when you change something in your kexts, add new one(s) or delete some, it's mandatory to let your system know that by either deleting Extensions.mkext and forcing the system to build a new one with your current kext or, my favorite method : booting with -f option. When you boot with -f option the system will read the /Extensions folder, will load the new or modified kexts, if there any and will rebuild the Extensions.mkext.

Quote:
2. DSDT.aml vs dsdt.aml

Must this be capitalized? Is a specific key entry in com.apple.Boot.plist necessary? (ex: r(2,1)/Extra/DSDT.aml
NO and NO, just make sure that your dsdt.aml or DSDT.aml is located on the / (root) of your SnowVolume and it will be loaded (if you're using chameleon rc3 you can also put it in /Extra)

Quote:
3. EFI Strings... um where?

Ok. I used OSX86Tools to get my 7900GS running. Worked fine but everytime I look at /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist my efi strings are not in there. I do a spotlight search for com.apple.Boot.plist and none of the ones on my hard drive have the strings? What the heck is OSX86Tools patching? Where are my EFI strings? I need to know to uninstall my 7900GS and stick in the new card.

I know it's a stupid question but I just could not find the edit anywhere.
You have two "com.apple.Boot.plist" one located in /Extra and one located in /SnowVolume/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Did you checked both ? Also, if you are using chameleon rc3 you can add

this :

Code:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>y</string>
to your com.apple.Boot.plist and let the bootloader detect your graphic card.

Quote:
4. Kextcache on EFI partition

Through this process, to protect my OS install, I've experimented on a spare USB drive before implementing a change on my production partition. The only difference between the two is that USB drive has boot and /Extra on the EFI partition.

After I had success with an Extensions.mkext I attempted to create one on my USB EFI partition but got all kinds of ownership errors on the /Extra/Extensions. I never could create the Extensions.mkext there.

I did chmod/chown the EFI contents. I believe the kextcache command went something like:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

Thanks again for a really great thread. I feel like I can see the finish line.

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions will give you a permission error only on those kext that you add or modified isn't it?

You can solve that by moving the kexts that you want to add or modify in

/Volumes/EFI/System/Library/Extensions/

chown and chmod them, repair disk permissions with Disk Utility ( or with terminal since you've just chmod and chowned):

Code:
diskutil repairpermissions /Volumes/EFI

and then
sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/System/Library/Extensions should work.

OR if you have Chameleon RC3 installed put the kexts in /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions and reboot with -f option
Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Cheetah

Can't wakeup with keyboard key or mouse click

Thanks for this wonderful guide. I have 10.6.1 is fully working on P5K-E/WIFI but i have only one small issue. I can't wakeup the PC by click mouse or by keyboard key. I have to press power button to wake up from sleep.

Is any one having similar issue, can't wakeup with keyboard or mouse? Please help.

Many Thanks.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Cheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by softtester View Post
Thanks for this wonderful guide. I have 10.6.1 is fully working on P5K-E/WIFI but i have only one small issue. I can't wakeup the PC by click mouse or by keyboard key. I have to press power button to wake up from sleep.

Is any one having similar issue, can't wakeup with keyboard or mouse? Please help.

Many Thanks.
There's a DSDT edit to help sleep. Have you applied that yet? If so, do you have the wake from sleep options ON in your bios?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Cheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelotu View Post
One of the most important details and the one I always have to ask :
What version of Chameleon are you using ? rc 2 rc3 ?
I'm using Chameleon 2 RC3 currently. I may have to move to a beta PC EFI to get my Radeon 4670 running.

Quote:
You have two "com.apple.Boot.plist" one located in /Extra and one located in /SnowVolume/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Did you checked both ? Also, if you are using chameleon rc3 you can add

this :

Code:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>y</string>
to your com.apple.Boot.plist and let the bootloader detect your graphic card.
Thanks. The EFI strings were in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/. I copied them to the Boot.plist in my /Extra folder as well. Not sure how these are read so I tried to cover both bases.

(Mostly did this due to panics in 64-bit mode from GeForce....kext and NVDAN.... kexts. Copying the device string didn't help or hurt.

Quote:
sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions will give you a permission error only on those kext that you add or modified isn't it?

You can solve that by moving the kexts that you want to add or modify in

/Volumes/EFI/System/Library/Extensions/

chown and chmod them, repair disk permissions with Disk Utility ( or with terminal since you've just chmod and chowned):

Code:
diskutil repairpermissions /Volumes/EFI

and then
sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/System/Library/Extensions should work.

OR if you have Chameleon RC3 installed put the kexts in /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions and reboot with -f option
This was something different but your comments lead me in the right direction. I read the man page on diskutil and found an enableownership flag that fixed the issue.

Since posting I've applied the RTC clock fix to my DSDT and the Time Machine fix. The sleep fix appears confusing but I think I can work it out by comparing others DSDT.dsl files. I'm not sure about Speedstep.

I tried to install my 4670 but got errors and put up a post on insanelymac hoping netkas will see it and comment.

Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Cheetah

Quote:
There's a DSDT edit to help sleep. Have you applied that yet? If so, do you have the wake from sleep options ON in your bios?
Thanks man, i forget to turn the wake from sleep option enable for USB in the BOIS. I enabled this option in the BIOS......vola...i can wake with mouse or keyboard now.

Only issue now is after wake i can't restart..... i have to hard reset with power button.

Shutdown/Restart works if computer hasn't gone to sleep.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by softtester; 11-03-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Updated.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Cheetah

@Softtester
Do you have the SleepEnabled.kext in place? I have never had a problem restarting with this guide. The only challenge is that sometimes the machine goes black, and takes up to 30 seconds start up again.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Puma

I was wondering if there is someone using a modified dsdt to enable native speedstep on this board?
Since voodoopower doesnt work with a 64bit kernel its the best solution... So i was wondering if someone can post a dsdt with the mods for sleepsteep.
Thx
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Jaguar

Quote:
I
I tried to install my 4670 but got errors and put up a post on insanelymac hoping netkas will see it and comment.

So you have already seen this and it doesn't work ? Because I was thinking to buy one for myself

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.