PDA

View Full Version : [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

swanzai
10-09-2009, 07:07 AM
howdy -- followed the instructions to the tee but I seem to be sticking at a gray screen after the large / small text, with a moveable cursor before the install really begins. if i wait long enough it turns into a spinner. any thoughts?

cchristophher
10-10-2009, 04:55 AM
I followed all the steps and when i boot from the USB drive, i get this http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/3997307720_a182f9c6f9_o.jpg
I'm not using a flash drive per se, it is this
(http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-WDME1600TN/dp/B0012GR02W/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255146488&sr=8-13)my mobo boots from it fine but could that still be a problem?
I also had trouble with the kexts in the com.appleboot.plist, how do i make my strings or EFI strings? i did it with EFI tool, but thats just for my graphics card, is that how i do it?
here are my specs:
G31 S2L
Q6600 Core2Duo
EVGA 9800GT
Edit:you can't see it but its in 64bit mode, how do i edit the mkext to keep it in 32?

sk1nhd33t
10-10-2009, 03:19 PM
guide updated again to base an RC3+PCEFI 10.3 install and updated kext.. made a short guide too in creating your own DSDT using DSDT-SE..

credits to all who found/create all the apps, kext and fixes.. enjoy :)

ISSUES im having:

- Automatic Sleep w/o the use of PleaseSleep
- waking from sleep using my Apple Aluminum KB
- the rest is flawless!

ju421019
10-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I followed this guide in this thread:

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required

To get everything working fine, easiest way to install. Only Issue I am having is sound, I can't see the input/output device, any help there please?

Yes I know the lifehacker guide mentions a different motherboard, but it works fine on this one too.

Now, I just need sound working from the board.

BlaSTiWi
10-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Great!!!

Quick Q ... does the myHack installer put stuff into EFI partition?

Tkx!

guide updated again to base an RC3+PCEFI 10.3 install and updated kext.. made a short guide too in creating your own DSDT using DSDT-SE..

ISSUES im having:

- the rest is flawless!

MonkeyDLuffy
10-11-2009, 04:46 AM

ISSUES im having:

- the rest is flawless!

Really nice to hear that the rest is flawless. May I ask, what SpeedStep app are you using (64bit)? I use CPUi which seems to work but I was wondering that you might be using something better. Voodoopower only works in 32-bit :(

Ezhoon
10-11-2009, 04:57 AM
here's how the setup goes, any of the 3 combination will do:

- LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver + LegacyHDAPlatformDriver + HDEF = audio
- LegacyALC883.kext + HDEF = audio
- VoodooHDA (S/L/E) + untouch dsdt = audio

if all fails then i dont know what to suggest anymore ^_^

Just let you know that the first method also worked for my Jetway xblue P43 mobo with alc883.
I've tried voodoohda 64bit in s/l/e too but, mic input almost always never worked properly. Using appleHDA just feels more satisfying and produces a bit clearer sound, imho :p

Great stuff, thanks!! :D

sk1nhd33t
10-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Great!!!

Quick Q ... does the myHack installer put stuff into EFI partition?

Tkx!

if you are talking about the hidden EFI partition then NO, install it manually instead with just 3 terminal commands or RC2.pkg :)

that's what im using right now including my backup leopard partition.. i prefer it because it's hidden and im not tempted to tinker it a lot haha!

Really nice to hear that the rest is flawless. May I ask, what SpeedStep app are you using (64bit)? I use CPUi which seems to work but I was wondering that you might be using something better. Voodoopower only works in 32-bit :(

im using Pstate created by hnak, cant link it to you right now coz for some reason i cant open insanelymac.. but it's there over at the OSX86 news and release section

been reading the DSDT vanilla speedstep guide for quite sometime now but it seems it's made for the more geeky peeps, made a few try but gave up afterwards :p

BTW CPUi doesnt work on me (64bit), care to link the kext/app you used? are you using Quad or C2D?

joel_ezekiel
10-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi, i was wondering if i could get some quick help. I had my computer set up properly and everything worked, but i wanted a larger hdd, anyway i formatted and set everything up again and its working perfect. But for some reason i have nfi why, i cant connect to anything shared with samba, from windows 7, osx, or solaris. Does anyone have a clue why this would be happening, when i try to connect it just sits there saying connecting and never finishes.

richybatten
10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I have tried this and followed other guides on how to Install the retail SL but I can't get the Chameleon screen to open after booting from the USB drive. Does anyone know why I can't get Chameleon to run or has anyone else had this problem? I'm trying to install to Dell M90 Laptop.

dooododoo
10-13-2009, 02:01 PM
I followed all the steps and when i boot from the USB drive, i get this http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/3997307720_a182f9c6f9_o.jpg
(http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-WDME1600TN/dp/B0012GR02W/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255146488&sr=8-13)

That's not really following ALL the steps then. :p

All I can say is that I have the same hardware as the OP, I followed his directions, and SL works semi-perfectly (no auto-sleep, but remedied by PleaseSleep.app) as he said.

Just get an USB flash drive and proceed. I wish for your success!

joel_ezekiel
10-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi, i was wondering if i could get some quick help. I had my computer set up properly and everything worked, but i wanted a larger hdd, anyway i formatted and set everything up again and its working perfect. But for some reason i have nfi why, i cant connect to anything shared with samba, from windows 7, osx, or solaris. Does anyone have a clue why this would be happening, when i try to connect it just sits there saying connecting and never finishes.

ok so i have worked out that connecting to an smb share works perfectly fine before i install myhack+kexts (first boot after install), does anyone please have any suggestions?

edit: well after alot of screwing around i just went back to your old guide and used the files from there after installing snow leopard with myhack bootloader. works fine now.. :s

edit 2: lol well i got a kernel panic setting it up that way and went back and tried numerous things, its gotta have something to do with myhack and whats in the efi partition, but for now im using nfs to connect to my fileserver

MonkeyDLuffy
10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
if you are talking about the hidden EFI partition then NO, install it manually instead with just 3 terminal commands or RC2.pkg :)

that's what im using right now including my backup leopard partition.. i prefer it because it's hidden and im not tempted to tinker it a lot haha!

im using Pstate created by hnak, cant link it to you right now coz for some reason i cant open insanelymac.. but it's there over at the OSX86 news and release section

been reading the DSDT vanilla speedstep guide for quite sometime now but it seems it's made for the more geeky peeps, made a few try but gave up afterwards :p

BTW CPUi doesnt work on me (64bit), care to link the kext/app you used? are you using Quad or C2D?

I just got it from the original post of "FormerlyknownAs" here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

It is the last link of the first post.

I just installed it at /S/L/E repaired permissions, cleared cache. Restarted in 64-bit and ran the CPU-i app and there I can see that my E5200 shifts from 2500Ghz to 1200Ghz. Multiplier increases from x 6.0 to x 12.0 (the normal). Cpu voltage also changes from my stock 1.292 V to 1.052 V. Seems to work fine in my case. I think Mitch_de from IM also said that the CPUi works fine and we were having the same issue because CPU-X (netkas cpu tool) does not detected the voltage/ghz shift.

By the way, what is the difference between speedstep and P-state?

Thanks.

ju421019
10-14-2009, 05:45 AM
I would greatly appreciate if someone can help me here.

a. Also I have another request, anyone know how I can dual boot windows 7 and SL? Do I need two hard drives?

Thanks!

I followed this guide in this thread:

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required

To get everything working fine, easiest way to install. Only Issue I am having is sound, I can't see the input/output device, any help there please?

Yes I know the lifehacker guide mentions a different motherboard, but it works fine on this one too.

Now, I just need sound working from the board.

shivpratik
10-14-2009, 08:34 AM
(http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-WDME1600TN/dp/B0012GR02W/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255146488&sr=8-13)my mobo boots from it fine but could that still be a problem?
I also had trouble with the kexts in the com.appleboot.plist, how do i make my strings or EFI strings? i did it with EFI tool, but thats just for my graphics card, is that how i do it?

Even Im having the same problem.. But im not able to figure out the problem......
Why dont anyone from infinitemac help us out with this problem.....
At least tell us where we are going wrong...

callingltu
10-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Hullo. Thx for really good guide, but I've got one problem, and have no idea how to solve it. I'm using dual boot with SL and win xp, xp is on one partition and SL on other. I have bootloader (myHack 1.0 rc3) installed on separate disc, because if i install bootloader on SL partition it messes up xp bootloader, and windows stops working. So SL work fine, boots up perfectly, but if i choose windows from chameleon, it doesn't start, screen goes black, and on top of it appears white dot. But if i make windows partition active and boot from that hard drive, windows starts normaly. Any ideas why chameleon doesn't load windows? And strange thing, windows partition is set to default on chameleon, is there any way making SL partition as default? :)

Looking forward hearing from you :)

sk1nhd33t
10-15-2009, 06:11 AM
I just got it from the original post of "FormerlyknownAs" here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

It is the last link of the first post.

I just installed it at /S/L/E repaired permissions, cleared cache. Restarted in 64-bit and ran the CPU-i app and there I can see that my E5200 shifts from 2500Ghz to 1200Ghz. Multiplier increases from x 6.0 to x 12.0 (the normal). Cpu voltage also changes from my stock 1.292 V to 1.052 V. Seems to work fine in my case. I think Mitch_de from IM also said that the CPUi works fine and we were having the same issue because CPU-X (netkas cpu tool) does not detected the voltage/ghz shift.

By the way, what is the difference between speedstep and P-state?

Thanks.

ahh the DSDT vanilla speedstep guide, tried that a few times but maybe i need to sit more on it and give it more time and testing for it to work on mine.. :)

CPUi still didnt work on me on 64bit but yes we have the same experience on cpui (32bit on mine), i can see that my CPU is running lower on light load including the voltage on my quad. but for now im happy using PState, it's the same as voodoopower but it can run on 64bit.

snowdog23tx
10-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks to everyone for this fantastic thread. I am attempting to build my first Hackintosh using the G31M-ES2L (Ver. 2.0) board using this guide.

I am following the steps to the letter, but I cannot get my machine to boot from the USB stick. The stick shows up in the BIOS and I can select it on the boot menu, but after that nothing happens.

I have reformatted my stick and re-restored the SL image, re-run the MyHack installer, basically followed the directions over and over and still nothing works.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out...

russianbandit
10-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry for asking this again, but... I cannot get my CPU temp to display with iStatMenus. It only shows the HD temp. Has anyone gotten CPU temp to display using any app?

Imkantus
10-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Has anyone gotten CPU temp to display using any app?You can use CPUi it needs it's own kext to be installed, but works fine on a Hack. :)

vkd
10-18-2009, 01:52 AM
If you can't get past KP in your first Snow boot, I'd suggest you need to properly install the Chameleon bootloader. Get the latest version (2.0 RC3 r658 + PCEFI v10.4 by Netkas), install by included instructions and try again.

Hope this helps! PM me to let me know!

infiniteThanks
10-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Many thanks to OP for the really hard work. Everything worked except Sound and Samba shares. I had problems with the audio like some of the others. Forgive me if I missed any similar solution posted earlier; it seems this thread is very popular :)

Here is what I did:
1. download MKext Tool from http://pcwizcomputer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=48

2. Start it, click on tab "View Contents".
3. Choose /Extra/Extensions.mkext
4. Click on View Contents.

5. If any of the audio exts are missing (LegacyALC883.kext, LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext, LegacyPlatformDriver.kext) then it might help to create a new Extensions.mkext.

Note, follow the following only if 5 is true.

6. Click on Pack tab on MKext Tool.
7. Drag all the kexts in /Extra/CustomExtensions to the window.
8. I saved the extensions to an Extensions folder on my desktop.
9. I picked the "View Contents" tab again and opened the just created mkext and here is the result:
Found 7 kexts:
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/fakesmc.kext - org.netkas.fakesmc (2.0)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/FramebufferDisabler.kext - net.osrom.kext.Disabler (1.0.1)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/LegacyAppleRTC_32bit_Only.kext - com.apple.driver.AppleRTC (9.9)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement (1.0d2)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext - com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart (1.0.3)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/PlatformUUID.kext - com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID (1.0)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/Sleepenabler.kext - sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler (1.0)

10. I trashed the older /Extra/Extensions.mkext. It will ask for auth. You may decide to move it; I was less patient.

11. Copy your new Desktop/Extensions/Extensions.mkext to /Extra/Extensions.mkext. It will ask for Auth.

12. Delete cache. In terminal mode do:
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches.

13. You can also run pfix as described by OP.

14. Reboot.

15. Go to System Preferences -> Sound (Thanks OP)
Select Internal Speakers for both Sound Effects and Output.

I would suggest only the brave to try this first and then verify that I am saying something sane. This is my first post here.

Now to figure out Samba shares: Mine just say connecting to Server. Works fine with windows client.
Other stuff: Time Machine: fine. Sleep is beautiful. CPU= E5200, 2 hard drives. Can't test Parallels as E5200 does not have VT extensions :(
Originally had 10.5.6. Would not boot from USB stick so I created a separate partition on one drive, put the Snow hackintosh installer on it and booted from it. Installed OS on the other drive and continued as described by OP. Beautiful. The original hard drive with 10.5.6 I reformatted and now use it for time machine.

Samba shares: Still trying to figure it out. Other Apple customers have the same problem.

brfransen
10-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Now to figure out Samba shares: Mine just say connecting to Server. Works fine with windows client.

If you used pfix it doesn't set the execute bit on one of the files in the smb kext that needs it to run correctly. I went into Disk Utility and repaired permissions and smb is working for me now.

Britney

simsim
10-19-2009, 03:14 AM
In case someone made the same mistake as me....

When I was reinstalling my stuff I couldn't get sound for a while, until I realised I was manually making the mkext in /extra by combining the kexts in S/L/E and Extra. It should only contain the kexts in extra. If you do it manually in terminal you get a lot of missing dependency messages but the resulting mkext is the same as you get from Kext Utility (I checked with md5).

I had some samba problems too but using "computername\username" as the username worked for me. As in this tip http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopard-filesharing.html#090209d

infiniteThanks
10-19-2009, 07:52 AM
brfransen: It WORKED !!! I went to Disk Utility and used it to repair permissions and SMB share now works. Thank you !

simsim: Thank you!! The warnings generated by the command line confused me so I wanted to use the MKext Tool to visualize what was going on. Plus I am fairly new to OSX Mac. Actually I am running away from Windows.

353inf
10-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I was successfull following this guide to get SL up and running with kalyway 10.5.2 on another partition. The screen resolution wasn't correct and in profile it didn't recognize my video card. I installed EFI studio to fix this choosing my card. The software update offered additional updates and programs, which I declined and I might note saw in this process 'connecting to apple' which I had not noticed with the 10.5.2 verison that has has been installed numerous times in the last months attempting to get a working 'es2l ver2'. After restart I noticed during that process the cpu multiplier 10.5..........never before that, 8 normal, the 'my hack' screen with bootloader options.......kalyway1052, SL,slinstaller. I then choose SL only to get screen 'power button/restart' message in various languages with very large circle and line.......similar to those ' no left turn', etc. I'm used to seeing. The kicker is that after trying to restart and to use 'kalway1052' doesn't work..........going into bios the system has been reset to defaults.After making adjustments then booting into '1052' which is fine.Seems that when SL crashes it changes bios back to defaults. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

joel_ezekiel
10-19-2009, 02:44 PM
If you used pfix it doesn't set the execute bit on one of the files in the smb kext that needs it to run correctly. I went into Disk Utility and repaired permissions and smb is working for me now.

Britney

Thank you so much, using NFS worked fine but i had strange permission problems, and not knowing how to set it up on solaris properly didnt help, smb works great again!

BlaSTiWi
10-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Anybody try PC EFI v10.4.1 yet?

carolinablue
10-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Long-time lurker on this thread, but I wanted to simply say thanks for all the hard work as I finally got my ES2L rev 1.x working with Snow Leopard. I literally tried more than a dozen different methods (including the early versions here) and finally this latest version worked perfectly for me. Also updated to 10.6.1 without any issue and all is working perfectly. Thanks!

ynol
10-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Long-time lurker on this thread, but I wanted to simply say thanks for all the hard work as I finally got my ES2L rev 1.x working with Snow Leopard. I literally tried more than a dozen different methods (including the early versions here) and finally this latest version worked perfectly for me. Also updated to 10.6.1 without any issue and all is working perfectly. Thanks!

Can you post the audio kexts?

I can't seem to have 100% in-out audio on SNL...!

carolinablue
10-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Sorry I can't be of any help as I use a Bose Companion 5 USB speaker set and so have audio disabled in my BIOS and skip all those portions of the directions. Best of luck in your search to get it working.

spudstud450
10-23-2009, 05:52 AM
What is the easiest way to fix the CMOS Reset error I get every time my computer restarts? I am using the DSDT downloaded in the ES2L Kit. Everything else works like a charm on my G31m-es2l. I've tried the cmos corrupt fix in the es2l folder. How did everyone else fix theirs?

G31m-es2l Rev 2.0
9600GT 512
Snow Leopard 6.1

aj3399
10-23-2009, 08:07 AM
I followed the guide (thanks for all your work on this!) and was installing SL when the machine rebooted, and now all I get is "verifying DMI pool data." i've re-formatted my thumb drive, did the entire process over, and still, "verifying DMI pool data." I have v2 of the board, and am trying to use onboard graphics. Is that my issue?

353inf
10-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Search es2l on these boards.....guide under Voyn1x at the end shows Alc883.zip

I did use Kext Helper 0.7 to install both.............got from weaksauce leopard soup es2l guide and folder.
AppleAzaliaAudio:

Version: 1.0.0
Last Modified: 10/21/09 8:04 PM
Get Info String: 1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2005
Kind: Intel
Architectures: i386
64-Bit (Intel): No
Kext Version: 1.0.0d1
Load Address: 0x5b6d4000
Valid: Yes
Authentic: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied

AppleAzaliaController:

Version: 1.0.0
Last Modified: 10/21/09 8:04 PM
Get Info String: 1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2005
Kind: Intel
Architectures: i386
64-Bit (Intel): No
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext
Kext Version: 1.0.0d1
Load Address: 0x5b528000
Valid: Yes
Authentic: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied

Had to install pci etherent card.........trendnet

Type: Ethernet Controller
Bus: PCI
Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Device ID: 0x8169
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Subsystem ID: 0x8169
Revision ID: 0x0010

disable 'on board lan'

jetpr
10-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Audio no work in 32bit or 64bit

please some help

ACL883:(

iztech
10-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Ditto here on sound.
Nothing doing.
V2 using firmware from Gigabyte FF, FE did not work either.
Tried Voodo, Taruga 64

Sound stuff is scattered all over the net but nothing concrete. Thanks for this thread it is lengthy but you gain some knowledge from it.

brfransen
10-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks to this thread and all the great contributions I have my ES2L R2.0 FC BIOS, E6300 OC'ed to 3.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 9500GT 512MB, PCI TrendNet Ethernet (due to no driver for the R2.0 onboard Ethernet), and PCI Firewire all working great! Everything I have tried so far, including audio and sleep works. I haven't tried automatic sleep but manual works fine and I never used automatic sleep in the past.

I used Conti's myHack 1.0 RC4 (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/10/myhack-installer-1-0-rc4-released/) to install. Then I extracted my DSDT and compiled and found some errors. I fixed those using the DSDTSE Fixes Menu and then changed the RTC section as sk1nhd33t instructed and added the Method DTGP. For audio I used only the LegacyALC883.kext provided in the ES2L Kit (http://www.mediafire.com/?x1lgy9rhefy) sk1nhd33t linked in the first post of this thread and then modified my DSDT to remove the "Sound AZALIA" section and replace it with coconup's DSDT HDEF code. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143697&st=0&p=1020036&#entry1020036) I also added the DSDT USB sleep fix (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155345&st=40&p=1240686&#entry1240686) and System Profiler now shows all my USB 2.0 Buses as Built-in.

For those that may be interested I have attached my dsdt.dst.

Thanks to all those who have contributed.

Britney

blaising
10-24-2009, 07:53 PM
This guide has been a life saver, I bought Snow Leopard thinking I could just install like Leopard and everything would work. This guide actually makes the install EASIER than Leopard. Thanks much for your work on this.

Well, I was able to get everything but the sound to work so instead of trying this that and the other thing, I just bought Creative's Xmod USB sound adapter for around $20 bucks on Amazon and now I have sound!

353inf
10-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks to this thread and all the great contributions I have my ES2L R2.0 FC BIOS, E6300 OC'ed to 3.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 9500GT 512MB, PCI TrendNet Ethernet (due to no driver for the R2.0 onboard Ethernet), and PCI Firewire all working great! Everything I have tried so far, including audio and sleep works. I haven't tried automatic sleep but manual works fine and I never used automatic sleep in the past.

I used Conti's myHack 1.0 RC4 (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/10/myhack-installer-1-0-rc4-released/) to install. Then I extracted my DSDT and compiled and found some errors. I fixed those using the DSDTSE Fixes Menu and then changed the RTC section as sk1nhd33t instructed and added the Method DTGP. For audio I used only the LegacyALC883.kext provided in the ES2L Kit (http://www.mediafire.com/?x1lgy9rhefy) sk1nhd33t linked in the first post of this thread and then modified my DSDT to remove the "Sound AZALIA" section and replace it with coconup's DSDT HDEF code. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143697&st=0&p=1020036&#entry1020036) I also added the DSDT USB sleep fix (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155345&st=40&p=1240686&#entry1240686) and System Profiler now shows all my USB 2.0 Buses as Built-in.

For those that may be interested I have attached my dsdt.dst.

Thanks to all those who have contributed.

Britney

Great to hear your install is a success. I still can only boot with the 'installation usb drive' inserted and 'boot 1st' option ' in my bios. After that I'm able to eject and all seems well with operating system,,,,,,,,sound, sleep,cmos reset fixed,etc. Any idea how to correct this? Also the overclocking would be nice to try. Same processor. Any settings advice would be appreciated.Thanks

brfransen
10-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Great to hear your install is a success. I still can only boot with the 'installation usb drive' inserted and 'boot 1st' option ' in my bios. After that I'm able to eject and all seems well with operating system,,,,,,,,sound, sleep,cmos reset fixed,etc. Any idea how to correct this? Also the overclocking would be nice to try. Same processor. Any settings advice would be appreciated.ThanksThat sounds to me like the bootloader isn't installed on your HD. Did you rerun myHack and target your boot SL hard drive?

For the overclock all I did was set the cpu multiplier to 10.5 and the front side bus to 325MHz. I had the front side bus at 333MHz but after the machine would sleep it would be awake for about 10 mins and would then kernel panic. Backing off the front side bus to 325MHz seems to have fixed that.

Britney

Pibbman
10-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Been reading this guide like mad and other sites, however I have noticed that many who build a machine with this board have dedicated video cards, does the onboard video work at all with this or no? I'm hoping to use the onboard until I can save up enough money for a video card.

Haven't been able to find an answer to this one.

In any case, thanks for the guide. Hopefully it's smooth sailings for me.

brfransen
10-26-2009, 10:57 PM
It worked for me while I was waiting for my video card but there are problems. One is that I couldn't get any video to display in Quicktime or VLC. There was sound but only black would display in the video window. Another problem was that the display would never sleep and when I put the machine to sleep all the fans would continue running. Once I got the PCI-E video card installed both issues were gone. I am thinking that both issues have to do with no specific drivers for the GMA 3100 chipset but I didn't do much research.

Britney

MonkeyDLuffy
10-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Been reading this guide like mad and other sites, however I have noticed that many who build a machine with this board have dedicated video cards, does the onboard video work at all with this or no? I'm hoping to use the onboard until I can save up enough money for a video card.

Haven't been able to find an answer to this one.

In any case, thanks for the guide. Hopefully it's smooth sailings for me.

The built-in Intel GMA 3100 (not GMA X3100) is not compatible with either Leo or Snow Leo. It will work but you won't have QI/CE (VESA only) thus making it suck a lot - such as No resolution change, you might have problems watching videos, can't run a lot of programs that are QI/CE dependent, and lots more.

If you can stand that, you can just go ahead and install it while waiting for your dedicated video card.

BTW, when you decide to purchase the video card, make sure it is 100% compatible.

Pibbman
10-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks. Well, I do have a video card but from my understanding it hasn't worked since Tiger or something. It's a Sapphire Radeon x800 PCI-e, I might try it but from what I know it most likely will not work.

EDIT:

I went ahead and ordered the XFX 9500GT 1GB PCI-e, which is apparently said to work on the osx86project as well as having seen others running it.

353inf
10-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks again. I went to myhack installer page and reread ...noticed that I failed to follow 'post install' for sure. Little concerned that some 'fixes' seem to cause more problems. No big deal really letting usb stay inserted......boots system and then sleeps. You updated the 10.6.1 download? All the best.

flukes1
10-28-2009, 07:31 PM
I've used the method described in the OP to install Snow Leopard onto my hackintosh with the following spec:

Mobo: GA-G31M-ES2L
CPU: E5200 2.5GHz
Graphics: 8600GTS (fanless)

I have a dual boot setup with Snow Leopard and Windows 7 both booting fine from Chameleon 2.0-RC3 on the same HDD. I'm using the dsdt.aml and smbios.plist given in the ES2L Kit zip, and have the following extensions installed:
fakesmc.kext
LegacyALC883.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
Sleepenabler.kext
In addition my com.apple.Boot.plist is set up exactly as suggested in the OP.

The system boots fine but is very unstable. It has never KP'd, but quite often the app I'm using will freeze, then the dock will freeze, followed by the Finder. At this point the system has to be forcibly powered down & restarted.

I had Leopard 10.5.7 installed for a few months before formatting and installing SL yesterday, but I've never experienced this problem before. Any ideas?

Update: I've removed PlatformUUID.kext and Sleepenabler.kext and added -legacy flag to force 32-bit kernel, will see if that helps & report back.
Update2: Switched off HDD sleep in Energy settings, ran chkdsk on the Win7 partition, and repaired permissions in Disk Utility - this seems to have fixed the problem, for now at least.

Pibbman
10-29-2009, 05:08 AM
I got a question. I'm in my Network tab in system preferences, and my Netgear FA331 isn't showing in the list. When I try adding an interface, I'm only given the options of Built in serial port, VPN, PPPoE and 6 to 4.

From what I understand the FA311 is based on the Realtk 8139 chipset. Do I need to find rtl8139.kext first before it will show in that list or what? It seems IONetworkingFamily.kext doesn't work either. If i put in a new NIC, will it discover it automatically and show it in the list? I forgot to put the '<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key' deal when i installed SL, hopefully that didn't affect anything?

thanks for any help.

Pibbman
10-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Ok, so I went out and bought that Dynex Gigabit PCI card at Best Buy, and it works without anything needed on my part. :D

I tested mine sound, and went by how OP told to set it up. The system sound plays sound, but when I go into safari and play a flash video, I don't get any sound at all? Gonna try normal media files and see where that gets me, but I can't figure out the flash video sound issue,

NEVERMIND. I forgot to change the Output tab too. Hehe. It works fine now. This is awesome! Now I just gotta test and see if my DVD drive works, and its all good. I also have to get around to installing Fusion, I wonder how that will work.

syndoc
10-30-2009, 02:59 AM
Great info!

This is my setup:
Graphics: 8600GTS

I followed the instructions and everything installed fine. However when I reboot to my USB drive, the bootloader doesn't see the SL drive. It wants to load the installer again. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Syn

Pibbman
10-30-2009, 04:06 AM
Great info!

This is my setup:
Graphics: 8600GTS

I followed the instructions and everything installed fine. However when I reboot to my USB drive, the bootloader doesn't see the SL drive. It wants to load the installer again. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Syn

I got stuck on this one too. Like the first time you load the thing by F12, you choose USB HDD or USB Thumb or whatever it was, and it was load and install. Then everytime afterwards it was gone or something. So during F12, I hit Hard Drive + and found that USB drive in there and it worked from in there.

dooododoo
11-02-2009, 04:35 AM
is anyone experiencing slow wake ups? is that something associated with this setup or hackintoshes in general? my wake ups have been fine for about a couple of months, but recently, it takes awhile for mouse clicks, keyboard key-presses, and wifi to respond/activate. (my screen turns on right away though.) any thoughts?

infiniteThanks
11-02-2009, 07:52 AM
iztec, jetpr : I made every mistake as far as audio is concerned but now it is all good. Here is some stuff:
(a) Use the the DSDT update posted by brfransen,
(b) Update the extensions.mkext under /Extra. It may be that the LegacyALC883.kext is not being picked up. Look for a posting by me, infinitethanks, for a long way to do it and responses by smarter people to my posting for a short way to do it.
(b) Use option, system profiler to check the audio profile. If it is not available, you may not have set the audio to auto in bios.
(c) when everything is set correctly, my audio profile looks like the following:
Device ID: 0x1458A002
Audio ID: 883
Available Devices:
Speaker:
Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
Line Out:
Line Out:
Line Out:
Internal Microphone:
Connection: Internal
External Microphone:
Line In:
Headphone:
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection: RCA

My Bios version is F8
Thank you

cj95
11-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Hello, i don't have the SL disc, but I have the dmg on my computer. Is there any other way I can install without having the disc?

My system is as follows:
E6300 pentium dual core 2.8 ghz
ga-g31m-es2l Not sure what rev
2 gb patriot 800 mhz ddr2
9600 gt

Thanks in advance.:)

Jocelyn84
11-03-2009, 01:12 AM
cj95, just drag the snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg file to source box and drag the sd/hdd (partiton) you're using to the destination box. :)

spudstud450
11-04-2009, 04:10 AM
Who knows about the video. I am running rev 2 of this board. Everything works like a champ, except sometimes I get artifacts in certain graphics programs. (Inkscape,chess,...) Also every once in 50 times it wakes from sleep I get a grey screen, with red,blue and green static.

If I understand correct, Chameleon rev 3 should automatically detect my 9600 GT 512. Any insights? Feel free to PM me until I get this resolved.

evil g
11-04-2009, 07:10 PM
i'm an IT pro, but a newbie when it comes to osx86...

have a g31m-es2l running SL.. sound, but no networking?/ i mean nothing in the prefs panel?

i must be missing a kext or something

Thoughts?

brfransen
11-04-2009, 07:42 PM
i'm an IT pro, but a newbie when it comes to osx86...

have a g31m-es2l running SL.. sound, but no networking?/ i mean nothing in the prefs panel?

i must be missing a kext or something

Thoughts?

If it is a rev 2.0 board there are no drivers in OS X that work for the on board ethernet. I use this PCI card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156139) in my rev 2.0 and it uses the drivers built into SL. No other hacking required.

Britney

RogerExplosion
11-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Just as a bit of a side note to this method - which absolutely rules BTW - the attached Realtek 32bit network driver causes Kernel Panics and random freezing of the OS several times daily.

I've got a whole bunch of machines with Rev 1 of this board with F8 bios and it's taken me weeks to figure out that it wasn't hardware causing the KP's.

With F7 and F10 bios, any SL install method doesn't see the ethernet card. It seems that only F8 (maybe some of the F9's going around?) works.

Needing Bonjour to be active is necessary for all my computers so I was running in 32bit kernel mode solely because the ethernet driver needed to have the new ifconfig installed (didn't want to remove the vanilla one).

There are a bunch of kext's over at "Stell's Blog" - just Google it and browse to the "Prepare Yourself" post. I moved the RTL1000 kext into the /E/E folder and upon first boot, in 64 bit mode, Bonjour worked perfectly.

Maybe it could be included in the method as an option for Bonjour when booting in 64 bit mode?

James

AvvY
11-07-2009, 11:30 AM
thanx for this guide. I now have a working system using a rev 2.0 board. I did encounter some issues, but resolved them with the following:

I used the latest myHack installer, and ran the dsdt patcher instead of compiling my own. I used an EN8400GS graphics card and a Netgear GA311 PCI ethernet card.

Everything seems to work 100% and I'm thrilled.

riffd00d
11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks to this awesome guide, I have had success in installing SL on my first (rev 1.1 F8) Hackintosh.

I followed the guide exactly, but I chose to go with the onboard video. I suffered from the same problems mentioned previously in this thread - sleep not functioning correctly, etc.

So I decided to go out & get a 9800GT. Using this guide (http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=hack1&action=display&thread=509&page=1)I seem to have gotten it working OK, but I still have the following issue:

Sleep (auto & manual) seems to work OK, but the display won't wake up. The PC itself seems to wake up fine, but the display won't. I have to reset the PC & then I can't get back into the OS unless I use the -pci0 switch.

Of course, the sleepenabler ketx (etc.) have been installed, as per guide.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I might be doing wrong ?

blancmaison
11-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Can you do this from a usb hdd not a pen drive ? currently I have one usb hdd but not a pen drive, when I do boot rom it all i get is the blinking cursor at the top of the screen ? any help ?

Jocelyn84
11-07-2009, 10:21 PM
blancmaison
Yes! An external hdd works, as it's how I did my install on a rev 2 board. I even had a drive with 2 partitions, added a third 10gb partition, and put snow install on it. I'm not sure if it matters, but is your drive guid partition mapped?

infiniteThanks
11-08-2009, 02:59 AM
I followed the guide and my system has been up and running for many days now. Many thanks to people on this forum. I even upgraded the system from a lowly E5200 to a Q9550. I guess I want to do more.

(a) Add a clean Ubuntu
I installed Ubuntu and then reinstalled Chameleon. Chameleon recognizes the Linux partition. When I select the linux partition and boot, grub complains about unknown file system and then throws me into grub rescue.

This is the latest and greatest Ubuntu 9.10. Ubuntu boots after installation but does not boot after Chameleon is installed even when Chameleon can see the Linux partition.

Ubuntu is now using ext4 as default file system.

(b) Restore Ubuntu from another machine instead of installing a clean copy. I have not go this far yet. I guess I will use dd (with care).

So yeah, I am asking for trouble and probably deserve it but any advice from someone who has done a clean install or better yet, a restore from another Ubuntu install under Chameleon, will be appreciated.

infiniteThanks
11-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I could not get Chameleon to launch OSX so I decided to use grub to launch OSX. Ubuntu 9.10 has moved to Grub 2, different from legacy grub. Ubuntu will detect OSX HFS+ boot partitions and create boot menu items and scripts but I it kept on getting kernel panics when I used the grub boot menu ... something to do with invalid number of arguments somewhere in the stack.

Also, unlike legacy grub, grub 2 can read HFS+ partitions.

In Ubuntu, use Gparted to find out which partition has your OSX installed.

Then add a very simple menuitem in Ubuntu grub configuration file:
/boot/grub/grub.cfg (note: used to be /boot/grub/menu.lst in legacy grub)
Use any editor. Make sure you have to have admin privileges to save the changes.

menuitem "Mac OSX boot or whatever you want to call it" {
insmod hfsplus # loads hfs+ module. Grub 2 can read hfs+ files !
set root=(hd0,6) # your partition may be different
multiboot /boot # used to be called kernel in legacy grub.
boot # not really necessary; it is implied
}

Now reboot. You will see your new entry in the grub boot list. Use arrows to select it. It will now boot into chameleon.

I think someone can make it better.

blancmaison
11-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi

Yes it is guid , I am waiting for the board that is mentioned in the post to turn up so I thought I would try to build the boot disk on my old emac onto a usb hdd I have , I have tried different format options as well , I then tried the usb hdd on a dell optiplex gx 520 which normally like hackintosh but just get a blinking cursor.

latinoguy
11-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the guide, is excellent, but i mixed up with the DSDT patch and my motherboard is different that in the guide the chipset is the same, i have problems with video when i write the string line with efi studio the resolution that i only get is 1024x768, and the sound not working at al the kext that i use is the ACL662 but no exit, so i had to use and external audio, I need help to get this working at fully capacity, by the way, im using a 7600gt nvidia 256 mb and a cpu intel dual core 5200, but im going to buy an E7500 core two duo and start over again, any sugestions or advices? thanks

infiniteThanks
11-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi latinoguy,
Some thoughts:
E5200 is good enough. I built a full system on the ES2l with no issues. I moved to a Q9550 because I was doing heavy image processing.

DSDT : One problem could be that your DSDT may be very different. DSDT is, in very crude terms, a representation of the hardware configuration by the BIOS to the software. Hence, just having the same chipset does not help all the time.

If you find a good DSDT for your motherboard/BIOS version out somewhere, use it. Getting the DSDT from the OSX system is not good enough; it just returns the one you just put in. A good way to get a DSDT is to download a Linux live ISO (Knoppix, Ubuntu, etc.), burn it to a CD and boot from it. Create a terminal window, and type:

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > DSDT.aml

Then you use DSDTSE app in the ES2L Kit to patch it, compile it, and save it to either the / and/or the /Extra folder(s).
There are fixes that you have to make; see OP.

Rebuild the /Extra/Extensions.mkext with the MKextTool, Kext Utility, or the command line. See posting by me and followups to it.

Make sure the permissions are correct: use the Disk Utility to fix it, not the script.

Clean all caches and retry :)

latinoguy
11-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi, thanks for the quick response, now i have internet and video working at full capacity, just the audio, but with the usb audio no problems i can live with that, now i have to work in the rosseta so i can play chess in with the java application and as i understand, i dont need another cpu? do i have a good one? thanks.

latinoguy
11-08-2009, 10:52 PM
I did the repair permissions thing that you recommend to me and this is what i get is a screen image of my pc, thanks for your advice.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pqw08Dr&code=2

antonehenry
11-09-2009, 01:14 AM
I can't boot from usb thumb drive, or a western digital mybook external hard drive.

This is starting to drive me crazy. Neither will boot. It just goes straight into Windows 7 on my other partition. I tried to put both as first boot device in bios, and then tried to do it from the boot menu. No dice.

I have a g31m-es2l I bought yesterday, core 2 duo e8200, 2gb ddr2 800 ram... I don't know what the problem is. It just won't boot from the external drives.

Any help? I am so lost at this point.

latinoguy
11-09-2009, 02:34 AM
If you did all the steps in the correct way you just have to enter to the motherboard bios configuration and choose usb as the first boot, I had the same problem, so i disconnected the hard drive and just use one hard drive o install osx snow leopard and is working right now.

And don't get desperate be patient

antonehenry
11-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the reply!

Do you think I need to just do it on a seperate HDD than my windows 7 install? I wanted to do it on the same drive, just different partitions, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks!

latinoguy
11-09-2009, 03:21 AM
Tell is the safest thing to do if you are trying to install snow leopard. If you don't have one extra hdd, then enter in the motherboard advanced bios configuration and choose usb as the first boot.

antonehenry
11-09-2009, 03:41 AM
Okay, thanks. Also, I'm pretty sure this isn't working for me. I finally got to boot from my external HDD, but it just got stuck.

I had to create a partition in order to get that far, just unpartitioned space wouldn't boot from my external HDD. I'm not sure what the problem is, because I have the same setup as the original poster.

latinoguy
11-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Buy a 8 gigs memory stick and solve the problem

antonehenry
11-09-2009, 07:14 AM
I did. That didn't work initially, so I tried to use an external HDD.

potter1984
11-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Okay, thanks. Also, I'm pretty sure this isn't working for me. I finally got to boot from my external HDD, but it just got stuck.

I had to create a partition in order to get that far, just unpartitioned space wouldn't boot from my external HDD. I'm not sure what the problem is, because I have the same setup as the original poster.

Hiya,

Yea unpartitioned space is not going to boot, it needs a active partition to boot, as long as im reading your post correct, you will need to setup up and OS on the unpartitioned space to be able to boot.

What methods have you actually tried, it may help to list them all her so we can see where its going wrong!,

Hope ya get it working soon.

Kind regards

rillooo
11-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I just want to say THANK YOU !!
This osx86 thing is just...loads of fun =)

latinoguy
11-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I have installed and everything runs smooth just the sound doesn't work i had to use an external usb, can someone give me some advice

BlaSTiWi
11-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Is it safe to update?

Anybody update to 10.6.2 yet?

latinoguy
11-10-2009, 02:57 AM
What can happen if you update? start over again thats it, this is the funny thing about this, and of course that you can update as well you are using vanilla kernel

Jocelyn84
11-10-2009, 03:53 AM
Is it safe to update?

Anybody update to 10.6.2 yet?

Yes, and all went fine. http://netkas.org/?p=315 :)

Just be sure to remove sleepenabler.kext before you update to 10.6.2 and update to the new sleepenabler.kext listed on Netkas' page after updating to 10.6.2
(http://netkas.org/?p=315)

infiniteThanks
11-10-2009, 04:04 AM
I have installed and everything runs smooth just the sound doesn't work i had to use an external usb, can someone give me some advice

Sound was tricky for me. I finally got it by
(a) making sure I rebuilt the /Extra/Extensions.mkext after having added the sound kext to the CustomeExtensions folder.

(b) Making sure that the audio output configuration was for "Internal Speakers".

(c) In System Profiler:

No audio in the system profiler implies you don't have the correct BIOS settings.

Less than 5 lines implies that you have correct BIOS settings but the wrong kext or the kext was not loaded. Boot with a -v -x to see what is going on.

Use lspci (a version exists in OSX86Tools to see what you actually have.

A large number of lines (>8) everything is loaded properly. Check (b)

Please look for my post sometime earlier; I can't get to my Mac right now as my daughter has stolen it from me :)

antonehenry
11-10-2009, 06:37 AM
It's finally installing now.

Problem I had... I updated my macbook to 10.6.0 from Tiger, which I was using to create the install on my external HDD. I had a partition made for Mac OS X already, reformatted it via Disk Utility during installation on my Hackintosh/Win7 Dual Boot to Mac Extended Journal or whatever it is...

So now it's installing on that partition and rather fast. We'll see how the system is working once it's done.

Problem was, Tiger wasn't able to run the ES2L Kit properly, I believe. Gotta do it from a version of Leopard.

Thanks for the ideas LatinoGuy. Or should I say, Gracias, Amigo?

antonehenry
11-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Here's a little followup hiccup I am having.

When trying to boot up, I got a "operating system missing" error from my BIOS. So I have to repair windows via the install disc, then I can use windows' boot manager to select an operating system. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9s6Cesg_j8)
(updating this post as I go along, I am so close!)

If anything, I will just reinstall windows7. No biggie, I just installed it the other day. I think I also saw somewhere that you should instal OS X first if you're going to dual boot with windows 7.

EDIT:::::: Need to reinstall Windows 7 on same partition. That's okay. It's been fun. Next will be trying to boot into OS X. WooHoo.

antonehenry
11-10-2009, 09:02 AM
apparently using Disk Utility (OSX) or the Win7 install disc, you cannot format your partitions to install both operating systems on one hard drive. It's hating me right now.

Next I will trying installing them on separate hard drives.

antonehenry
11-10-2009, 10:05 AM
EDIT::::: Wow, did this F up my hard drive. I can't find a good way to repartition my hard drive to reinstall windows 7. I even erased all of it via partion magic, disk utility, and windows 7 install cd. Nothing works at all. I can still install OS X on it, but nothing else. Weird.

I keep getting a C:\Boot is corrupt and unreadable error. Maybe I will just install OS X for now, until I get a new HDD. So weird. I have never run into a problem where you just can't completely wipe the HDD and start over. hmm...

EDIT:::: PS sorry for the multiple posts in a row.

I wasn't able to install both on the same HDD. I am now in the process of recovering a HDD i accidentally formatted trying to get both to work nicely dual booting. But should work just fine on separate HDD's

infiniteThanks
11-10-2009, 10:54 PM
EDIT::::: Wow, did this F up my hard drive. I can't find a good way to repartition my hard drive to reinstall windows 7. I even erased all of it via partion magic, disk utility, and windows 7 install cd. Nothing works at all. I can still install OS X on it, but nothing else. Weird.

Make sure the drive is GUID.
Download any of the latest Linux Live CDs (Ubuntu, Red Hat /Fedora, etc.). Torrent downloads are also available. Burn the iso to a cd. Boot to the live CD.

Use that to repartition using gparted. (System->administration-Gparted)
Linux should be around 8G. The rest is up to you. Partition format is unimportant.

Install W7
Install OSX (see OP)
Install Linux. Linux will install grub and run grub-config automatically which will do an os-probe and ALMOST do the right thing.

Remove CD, boot into Linux, find out which partition has OSX. I use GParted which can be installed using:

sudo apt-get install gparted

Keep gparted around; it is useful!

edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file

Add in the custom section at the bottom of the file:

menuentry "Your name for OSX" {
insmod hfsplus
set root=(hd0,6) # your disk /partition may be different
multiboot /boot
boot
}

You must use the custom section else an os-probe will over-write the information. Remove all the other menu entries for OSX in the grub.cfg file; they don't work because they assume a mac efi system. Save the file. You must be root or must do sudoedit to edit and save properly.

If, while booting, you don't see the boot options, you should hit the ESC key when the grub message comes up.

Life saver: the Linux dd command. Installing Windows 7, OSX, multiple times can be a pain. I have used the Linux dd command to save the disks and partitions. Then it is just a matter of copying them back if I messed up. This is not the right forum to go into dd though.

The only issue I have with grub is it does not have a sweet interface like chameleon.

And remember, experiment. Once you are done experimenting, put in a second disk (about 3x the OSX partition) and use the time machine to save your work and you will be happy. It tastes better than icecream.

simsim
11-11-2009, 01:06 AM
I updated to 10.6.2.

Removed the old sleep enabler before updating. Got kernel panic. Checked Netkas site, saw this: "There is panic with geforce7 cards and 64-bit kernel mode, use 32-bit kernel mode". I have a 7300 card. In 32 bit everything seems to work.

No big deal. I mostly like 64bit because I get a much higher Geekbench score with it :-)

komodo-tux
11-12-2009, 12:28 AM
So, I did the install following this fantastic guide (thanks to all involved) and everything was working great (video, audio, bonjour, sleep, the whole nine yards)! When the 10.6.2 update came out, I cloned my install to a different partition to play with. After following the netkas suggestions, I have some unusual results. First, 10.6.2 will only boot with the -f option; whenever I do not do that, I get an immediate KP. Second even when I boot with -f, I do not have functional audio, even though I'm using the same LeagacyALC883 kext that worked with 10.6.1. One thing I've noticed is that in my working install (10.6.1), there is an an Extensions.mkext in my /Extra folder, but this does not exist in the 10.6.6 install. Could this be part of the problem, and how should I go about fixing it? Thanks again.

antonehenry
11-12-2009, 01:47 AM
All set up.

I can't get internet to work though. The realtek driver doesn't work it seems.

komodo-tux
11-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Well, I think I've got it fixed. Amazing what you can do when you read the instructions! I first used mkext tool to make an Extensions.mkext of the extensions in the /Extra/Extensions folder, but that didn't solve the problem. But, after re-reading the guide, I ran the pfix utility as root, and it cleaned out the system caches as well as fixing permissions, and now everything is working OK! Thanks again for the great guide!

kvkvbird
11-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Dear SimSim and Everyone,

How Can I change from 64 bit kernel to 32 bit kernel mode? I have 7600gt card, it cause me KP after uprgaded to 10.6.2

I had install my Hackintosh thru this guide
http://lifehacker.com/5351485/#bootloader_guide

GA-G31M-S2L Ver. 1.1 (F9)
Nvidia 7600GT
4Gig of Corsair Ram
WD 120Gig
Intel Core2Quad 6600

antonehenry
11-12-2009, 02:10 AM
All set up.

I can't get internet to work though. The realtek driver doesn't work it seems.

I should specify for help.

Tried to install realtek driver in ES2L kit, tried to use that other tool in original post, but don't know how to use it.

Tried to install a couple of kext thingys from insanelymac post linked in original post.

IN my network part of system preferences, no option for ethernet shows up, just my serial connection. =[

I might have an NIC lying around somewhere though.

spudstud450
11-12-2009, 06:21 AM
Looks like the 6.2 (nov 11) breaks the install. Hopefully It wont require a reinstall.

infiniteThanks
11-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Dear SimSim and Everyone,

How Can I change from 64 bit kernel to 32 bit kernel mode? I have 7600gt card, it cause me KP after uprgaded to 10.6.2

In /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist add
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

It is in the OP instructions.

kvkvbird
11-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Thank You..... inifiniteThanks...
I try that method...

Cheers

infiniteThanks
11-12-2009, 07:02 AM
I should specify for help.

Tried to install realtek driver in ES2L kit, tried to use that other tool in original post, but don't know how to use it.

Tried to install a couple of kext thingys from insanelymac post linked in original post.

IN my network part of system preferences, no option for ethernet shows up, just my serial connection. =[

I might have an NIC lying around somewhere though.

1. Try to run lspci in the command line. It should show all the devices. If it does not show the ethernet device, you may have a bad chip or your BIOS setting may be wrong.
OX86Tools has lspci.

2. pfix may not work perfectly. I remember having strange problems with network shares. Turns out that some permissions were not set right by pfix.

Use the Disk Utility to fix the permissions. Also, OSX86Tools can fix permissions, clean caches, etc.

3. Britney (see post by her earlier) pointed out that ethernet works for F8 BIOS version but does not in a latter version (don't remember). She suggested using a network card. Her screen name is different, I don't remember. She had also posted another DSDT.

infiniteThanks
11-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Looks like the 6.2 (nov 11) breaks the install. Hopefully It wont require a reinstall.

Go to netkas.org and download the latest SleepEnabler.kext.
1. Boot from the USB Installer and go to the install drive and remove /Extra/CustomExtensions/SleepEnabler.kext

2. Rebuild /Extra/Extensions.kext.
I used MkextTool.
Drag all the extensions in /Extra/CustomExtensions
Change the folder to /Extra and enter Build.
It will over-write the previous version of /Extra/Extensions.mkext

3. If you have not updated yet, Update to 10.6.2. Reboot

4. Put the patched SleepEnabler.kext from netkas into /Extra/CustomExtensions

5. Rebuild /Extra/Extensions.mkext (see (2)

I generally use linux dd command to save an exact copy of my partition before doing this kind of work.

yogi446
11-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Followed the guide here, and on netkas's site to update to 10.6.2 fine.

Everything works fine, always has.

But i've always had a problem with sleep not being reliable. Sometimes it'll go to sleep fine, then when I wake it (keyboard or power button) it'll all spin up but nothing, blank screen (and dead to any ping/ssh attempts).

Any ideas people?

It's not an easily reproducible error, and nothing seems to get written to the logs. Suggestions as to how I could even track down the issue would be welcome.

infiniteThanks
11-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Followed the guide here, and on netkas's site to update to 10.6.2 fine.

But i've always had a problem with sleep not being reliable. Sometimes it'll go to sleep fine, then when I wake it (keyboard or power button) it'll all spin up but nothing, blank screen (and dead to any ping/ssh attempts).

Any ideas people?

I had a similar problem (not the same). My mistake was the I had the fake buffer kext also loaded.
Maybe you can try putting in the -v (verbose) flag in the /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist and see what happens?

Coming out of sleep takes a different path though so maybe you should ask netkas the question. He is the real guru. He may have a way of tracing the problem.

The other thing I noted in my issues were that sleep problems were created when the system was going to sleep. I would see some errors in the log then. I would see nothing bad on waking up.

antonehenry
11-12-2009, 08:46 PM
1. Try to run lspci in the command line. It should show all the devices. If it does not show the ethernet device, you may have a bad chip or your BIOS setting may be wrong.
OX86Tools has lspci.

2. pfix may not work perfectly. I remember having strange problems with network shares. Turns out that some permissions were not set right by pfix.

Use the Disk Utility to fix the permissions. Also, OSX86Tools can fix permissions, clean caches, etc.

3. Britney (see post by her earlier) pointed out that ethernet works for F8 BIOS version but does not in a latter version (don't remember). She suggested using a network card. Her screen name is different, I don't remember. She had also posted another DSDT.

Thanks for the reply! lspci shows I do have an ethernet controller

Attansic Technology Corp. Unknown Device [1969:1063] (rev c0)

So I'm guessing I have a newer version of the mobo, if this isn't a realtek thing. I saw some people posting around about Attansic 1062 and 1026, but haven't found anything about 1063. I will keep looking.

One more thing. I can not set my resolution either. I edited com.apple.Bood.plist, but no luck. I am stuck at a weird resolution for now. Anyone know a way to force a resolution?

EDIT::: Using OSx86 Tools' Boot editor, it shows that I am running 1920x1080x32, but that is not the case. it's weirdly stretched and not right.

Also, I have Rev 2.0. That would probably be causing some of my issues, yes?

bunun
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
anyone have some instructions to dual boot chamelion and windows7 on the same drive ? ive spent days following different instructions, and reinstalling windows7/leopard, i think ill just ask here.

oh everything else in the first post works, i just need to figure out how to dual boot off 1 hard drive.

infiniteThanks
11-12-2009, 11:26 PM
anyone have some instructions to dual boot chamelion and windows7 on the same drive ? ive spent days following different instructions, and reinstalling windows7/leopard, i think ill just ask here.

The latest version of ubuntu will not only mult-boot but also detect the different OS installs for you :) I have a posting about it earlier.

You have to change the grub.cfg for hackintosh as I point out in that reply since grub2 assumes it is a real mac.

bunun
11-12-2009, 11:36 PM
The latest version of ubuntu will not only mult-boot but also detect the different OS installs for you :) I have a posting about it earlier.

You have to change the grub.cfg for hackintosh as I point out in that reply since grub2 assumes it is a real mac.

thanks for the reply, i actually read your post, before i posted this, i was gonna go that route, if i couldnt find anyway to make chameleon work.

infiniteThanks
11-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Also, I have Rev 2.0. That would probably be causing some of my issues, yes?

The person with the best answer to the question (brfransen)

If it is a rev 2.0 board there are no drivers in OS X that work for the on board ethernet. I use this PCI card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156139) in my rev 2.0 and it uses the drivers built into SL. No other hacking required.

Britney

I would suggest not fighting the battle but winning the war.

Display: I had a similar problem with display when I used aVGA monitor as the only monitor. I could not set the resolution. When I used a DVI monitor by itself or with another vga it worked but I had to use the display setting in the system preferences to set the VGA resolution. No idea what was going on there.

Also, use the OSX86Tools to set the graphics card feature. Maybe that will help you. It did not help me though.

yogi446
11-13-2009, 05:44 PM
I've been using -v to try trace my random wake issues.

I've tracked a possible cause - the GFX card not waking up properly. To that end, i've removed the EFI string for my GFX card and got it working via a DSDT patch instead, which means I can send a wake notification to it on an acpi wake, which should fix it if it is indeed the error. It'll be a few days before I've used it enough to see if it's a fix or not though.

dustintinsley
11-14-2009, 02:08 AM
I am trying this new method, but can not get the installer to fully load. i get no kp, but all i get is a blank screen. i am wondering if this is to do with my video card? i am following your directions exactly, but nothing. i have a nvidia 9400gt video card, this should be supported by the graphicsenabler, correct? any help is appreciated...

MonkeyDLuffy
11-14-2009, 06:30 AM
Anybody tried adding an additional Ethernet NIC card? I added a Realtek 8139D which should run natively in OSX but for some reason, it does not show up in Snow.

Could this be caused by the DSDT patch that included the ethernet fix? My built-in ethernet works. Just wondering why the PCI NIC is not being detected.

Anyone has a clue?

infiniteThanks
11-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Anybody tried adding an additional Ethernet NIC card? I added a Realtek 8139D which should run natively in OSX but for some reason, it does not show up in Snow.

Could this be caused by the DSDT patch that included the ethernet fix? My built-in ethernet works. Just wondering why the PCI NIC is not being detected.

Anyone has a clue?

I had a similar problem: I built another hackintosh in about 20 minutes today and I had already done a linux dd of my drive to a new drive. So booting was easy but system profiler did not show the network card. So I went to system preferences->network and it started by prompting me with a message about a new card being detected and that I should enable it.

Try it ... it might work.

MonkeyDLuffy
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Nah, it didn't work :( That was the first thing that I did after adding the NIC. dsmeg doesn't even supply a mac address for the newly added pci nic. Even system profiler doesn't detect it. I'm quite puzzled. However, I haven't tried adding the realtek1000 kext. Maybe I'll try as soon as I got home.

Thanks for the suggestion.

dustintinsley
11-14-2009, 09:09 PM
I am having issues getting this guide to work for me. i have the usb disk setup correctly. i have my com.apple.Boot.plist setup per the guide, minus the GraphicsMode as I am unsure what it needs to be set too. My video card is a ASUS EN9400GT with 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, and 1 DVI. I attempted to follow this guide using a DVI2HDMI adapter and when the setup would launch I'd have a blank blue screen. I attempted this passing "-v" and "-v -pci1" as chameleon boot options. I then tried using the HDMI output on the card. Now I am, getting the install background picture and nothing else. I get the spinner but it freezes and just sits there. Again, I've tried with "-v" and "-v -pci1" with same results. What else can I try to get this working?

powersupply
11-15-2009, 01:45 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for your guide. This was the first time I tried to build such a machine and once you understand the whole system it is really easy to get a successful install thanks to your guide : )
The only thing that was a little difficult for me was the video, I think I will try your updated guide with the RC3 Nvidia auto detect (I have a 9600GT).

(Right now I have just added the efi string in the boot plist because I did not understand what kext and so I need. Resolution and average use seem to work fine but cpu load on 720p video for example is very high (50-100%))

So my actual question would just be if I did understand it right that with the RC3 Nvidia auto detect you dont have to do anything more or do I still have to do all that kext and efi string stuff?
Thanks a lot
greetings from germany : )

joeyf
11-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Go to netkas.org and download the latest SleepEnabler.kext.
1. Boot from the USB Installer and go to the install drive and remove /Extra/CustomExtensions/SleepEnabler.kext

2. Rebuild /Extra/Extensions.kext.
I used MkextTool.
Drag all the extensions in /Extra/CustomExtensions
Change the folder to /Extra and enter Build.
It will over-write the previous version of /Extra/Extensions.mkext

3. If you have not updated yet, Update to 10.6.2. Reboot

4. Put the patched SleepEnabler.kext from netkas into /Extra/CustomExtensions

5. Rebuild /Extra/Extensions.mkext (see (2)

I generally use linux dd command to save an exact copy of my partition before doing this kind of work.

GA-G31M-ES2L Rev.2
Q8200
NVidia 9500GT 512 (Dual DVI)

Followed this guide in late September and got a stable install - great work!

Decided to update to 10.6.2 (combo) and missed the SleepEnabler fix - Kernel Panic following "successful update" reboot.

Followed steps 1 and 2 as quoted above for the following files from netkas.org:

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
SleepEnabler.kext

Rebuilt Extensions.mkext, repaired permissions on SL drive and kextcache on com.apple.kext.caches

After doing this I was able to boot, however to a black screen with no pointer. Press space key on the keyboard and get blue screen. Tried swapping DVI ports - no change.

Can boot into safe mode. Thoughts on a plan of attack?

EDIT: I just decided it was quicker to reinstall then develop a laundry list of potential fixes after sifting through the various threads.

Followed this guide but had trouble with the latest ES2L Kit - could not get sound to work nor was my ASUS WL-138g wireless PCI card recognized.

Went back to the kit with files dated 10/10/09 and all was well. Installed as per guide with the exception of SleepEnabler.kext. Upgraded to 10.6.2 flawlessly and then add the latest SleepEnabler.kext from netkas.org. Sleep works fine.

All is well in 32-bit anyways.

itry2hide
11-17-2009, 07:04 PM
OK, I get about 3/4 of the way through the install, then I get the spinning wheel (not the colored one), and the computer reboots. Weird

Oh, I have the board with v2 bios

the_accidental
11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
important

I've a rev 1 board, and was using the RTGMac_v203 realtek drivers.

they cause failures to wake from sleep

I finally tracked down black-screen on wake issues. It was a repeatable error whenever I was using more than 2 gig ram and network activity.

Specifically opening 20 avi off a server, and loading 80 tabs in safari would cause the failure every time.

I reverted to the built in snow leopard drivers* and no problems now (except no bonjour). If you do a bit of googling you'll find other people mentioning power management issues with the realtek drivers and SL, as the drivers were built for 10.4.

* the realtek installer/uninstall script has a serious problem! when it installs, it deletes the apple realtek driver kext, and when it uninstalls it removes the realtek one. So you're left with no driver at all.

So to restore, you need /system/library/extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext from an untouched SL install/disk. Replace it, repair disk permissions, "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" wait a bit for the kexts to rebuild, and then reboot.

BlaSTiWi
11-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Try this http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/rtl8139-works-in-64bit-t3917/ ... it works great w/ me ...

Anyone has a clue?

bunun
11-18-2009, 06:11 PM

oh everything else in the first post works, i just need to figure out how to dual boot off 1 hard drive.

verified on 2 hard drives, i simply went to the chameleon site, downloaded the latest version and followed the instructions.

MonkeyDLuffy
11-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Try this http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/rtl8139-works-in-64bit-t3917/ ... it works great w/ me ...

Amazing! Works for me too. Secondary NIC is now detected working fine :D

I just have to find a solution for my 4650 Black screen problem and I'm set!

Thanks BlaSTiwi

free4mac
11-19-2009, 03:52 AM
I am having trouble with the DSDT on 10.6.2. I have a GA-G31M-ES2L v1.x and a C2D E6600. When I use your DSDT, everything works except my TI PCI Firewire card isn't recognized (it works fine in 10.5.6). When I use a DSDT for the same MB posted by swhay, Firewire works but Ethernet doesn't. When I diff your DSDT and swhay's, there are a lot of differences, but I can't figure out which one(s) might be relevant to Firewire. Could you be explicit about the changes you made in your DSDT, and post your DSDT file before you modified it too?

It would be great if you would not skip or generalize any details in the section I quote below.

[QUOTE=sk1nhd33t;31269]UPDATE:

● copy dsdt.aml to /Extra of your Snow Leopard drive or create your own by following this short guide below, AGAIN it's always recommended to create and use your own dsdt, included my dsdt.aml and .dsl for comparison purposes only.

- open ES2L kit Tools then double click the included DSDT SE.app
- click DSDTSE Tools then Extract DSDT
- under ACPI search choose RTC
- rename 0x04 to 0x02
- under ACPI search choose Sound Azalia
- check the included dsdt.dsl and copy the HDEF section there, alternatively - you can use it if you have a quad
- add Method DTGP under DSDT Hacks
- look under Credits and DSDT Hacks for more dsdt fixes.
- when done editing click DSDTSE Tools -> Compile DSDT, click DSDT Files Folder and you will see your newly compiled dsdt.aml
- copy it to /Extra of your Snow Leopard drive

simsim
11-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I also have a question regarding DSDT. I'm using the supplied DSDT from the original guide. Do you have to boot without dsdt to extract it correctly? I'm wondering because I can't compile a new one using the steps in the guide. Also, can't find Sound Azalia using ACPI search, Method DTGP already exists, stuff like that.

BTW, my firewire card works with the dsdt I'm using. (Belkin f5U503, rev s-3)

yogi446
11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes you need to boot without it.

simsim
11-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks, booting without dsdt helped. I still get 2 warnings and 2 errors though, so I need to work on it. Besides, everything works fine the way it is so I'm not too motivated :-) Also I have no idea what for example "Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)" actually does so need to look into that too.

joeyf
11-19-2009, 04:58 PM
GA-G31M-ES2L Rev.2
EDIT: I just decided it was quicker to reinstall then develop a laundry list of potential fixes after sifting through the various threads.

Followed this guide but had trouble with the latest ES2L Kit - could not get sound to work nor was my ASUS WL-138g wireless PCI card recognized.

Went back to the kit with files dated 10/10/09 and all was well. Installed as per guide with the exception of SleepEnabler.kext. Upgraded to 10.6.2 flawlessly and then add the latest SleepEnabler.kext from netkas.org. Sleep works fine.

All is well in 32-bit anyways.

^^^^^@free4mac

Try using the old DSDT he posted (file dated 10/9/09 - attached here) without any changes - seemed to work for me as I was having issues with his latest one.

Andy GA
11-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks, booting without dsdt helped. I still get 2 warnings and 2 errors though, so I need to work on it. Besides, everything works fine the way it is so I'm not too motivated :-) Also I have no idea what for example "Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)" actually does so need to look into that too.
2 Errors with DST - Solved

I also had the 2 errors and looked at the lines giving the errors and compared that part of the DSDT to the one in the E2SL Kit. I had to change the Method (_MSG lines from Store (Local0, Local0) to Store ("Local0", Local0) because the quotes were missing in the extraction. The lines should look like below:

Method (_MSG, 1, NotSerialized)
{
Store ("Local0", Local0)
}

Method (_SST, 1, NotSerialized)
{
Store ("Local0", Local0)

After making this change it compiled without errors but with warnings. The dsdt.aml worked fine.

Andy GA
11-20-2009, 05:13 AM
UPDATE:

● open Audio folder and copy it to /Extra/CustomExtensions
● open smbios-plist folder and copy it to /Extra, edit this to match your hardware
● copy bootcamp theme then edit com.apple.Boot.plist adding the following:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2100/screenshot20091010at910.png

-

First and foremost.... thank you for making it possible for me to get my first build up and running. Your guide was instumental in making this happen. My comments that follow are just to try and help a first timer like myself save some hours by getting it right the first time.

As a first time Hackintosher, steps like the:

● open Audio folder and copy it to /Extra/CustomExtensions

quoted above can be confusing. "it" seemed to be the Audio folder when I first read the step. There actually isn't an Audio folder, but rather an "Audio Kext" folder with two more folders inside it. So after having an unsuccessful attempt, one of the things I figured out was to take the .kext files out of the inclosed folders and put them in to /Extra/CustomExtensions.

UPDATE:
● copy dsdt.aml to /Extra of your Snow Leopard drive or create your own by following this short guide below, AGAIN it's always recommended to create and use your own dsdt, included my dsdt.aml and .dsl for comparison purposes only.

- open ES2L kit Tools then double click the included DSDT SE.app
- click DSDTSE Tools then Extract DSDT
- under ACPI search choose RTC
- rename 0x04 to 0x02
- under ACPI search choose Sound Azalia
- check the included dsdt.dsl and copy the HDEF section there, alternatively - you can use it if you have a quad
- add Method DTGP under DSDT Hacks
- look under Credits and DSDT Hacks for more dsdt fixes.
- when done editing click DSDTSE Tools -> Compile DSDT, click DSDT Files Folder and you will see your newly compiled dsdt.aml
- copy it to /Extra of your Snow Leopard drive

● double click "pfix" (permission fix) then choose your snow leopard drive, reboot when done.
● for the Audio to take effect, launch System Preference then go to Sound and choose Internal Speakers/Built-In Speaker for both Sound Effects and Output Tab, press F11/F12 (apple keyboard), F14/F15 (for windows?) to test if you can hear a feedback.

-

In the section on creating your own dsdt.aml, quoted above, the section about Sound Azalia tripped me up for a while. Not knowing that you were talking about a file named dsdt.dsl, I was searching the extraction in the Sound Azalia section for the letters "dstl.dsl". If the step had read:

- open dstl.dsl in /DSTL and copy the HDEF section from there into your extract

It would have saved me one more failed attempt.

Perhaps when you get some time, you can edit the guide. Also, see my note to simsim on the error in the DSDTSE extraction that causes two errors when compiling.... at least it did for him and me. I have a rev 2 board.

Once again... thanks for all you have done.

simsim
11-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks Andy, adding the quotes in the extracted dsdt where you indicated made it compile without errors (still warnings). I just wonder why everybody hasn't got the same problem. I have the 1.1 version of the board and F8 Bios.

Andy GA
11-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Glad to help, simsim. my board is Rev 2.0 with a version 6.00 Bios, so that indicates it's something else.

zim2dive
11-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I had 10.5.6 working on this mobo months ago and then went a different direction for a while (linux).. pondering coming back and found this VERY impressive guide. It would appear that there are no known/remaining issues for this mobo once things are working??

thanks!
Mike

BitBass
11-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Just wanted to share my experience. I'm on a 1.1 f10 board. I had this running fine on 10.5 and decided to upgrade to 10.6. Went fine except no audio. I've been pulling my hair out for the last couple of days with no success on the audio.

Here's my tip, don't run PFIX from the finder. Run it from Terminal with sudo. I kept running it from finder and was getting feedback but it turns out it was failing to actually do anything.

Works like a charm now! Thanks for everyone's hard work!

MonkeyDLuffy
11-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi,

Anybody made Sleep working faster? Since I upgraded to 10.6.2, my sleep (updated) works but it takes about 45secs to 1min to fully sleep (fans not spinning). The moment I click "sleep" the screen goes black then, wait until it fully turns off (45secs). Before, as soon as I clicked sleep, it only takes 2 secs.

I already updated the NullCPU..kext and the 10.6.2 SleepEnabler from Netkas blog. I made sure that the kext are loaded.

Also,

I noticed that dsdt was updated.

And I think the update is this:

Device (PWRB)
{
Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (0x0B)
}
}

What does this do?

Is it related to the powerbutton?

Thank you.

free4mac
11-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks Andy, this was timely! I extracted an unmodified DSDT for my system by booting from a Linux live CD and it had this same problem when I tried to compile it with iasl. Combined with the updated instructions and reference DSDT from sk1nhd33t, I was able to modify it and seem to have a fully working system! I'm using the SleepEnabler for 10.6.2 from code.google.com (the Netkas binary patched version didn't work for me), and the HDA and HDAEnabler kexts posted by swhay for audio.

2 Errors with DST - Solved

I also had the 2 errors and looked at the lines giving the errors and compared that part of the DSDT to the one in the E2SL Kit. I had to change the Method (_MSG lines from Store (Local0, Local0) to Store ("Local0", Local0) because the quotes were missing in the extraction. The lines should look like below:

Method (_MSG, 1, NotSerialized)
{
Store ("Local0", Local0)
}

Method (_SST, 1, NotSerialized)
{
Store ("Local0", Local0)

After making this change it compiled without errors but with warnings. The dsdt.aml worked fine.

Andy GA
11-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Anybody made Sleep working faster? Since I upgraded to 10.6.2, my sleep (updated) works but it takes about 45secs to 1min to fully sleep (fans not spinning). The moment I click "sleep" the screen goes black then, wait until it fully turns off (45secs). Before, as soon as I clicked sleep, it only takes 2 secs.

My 10.6.2 machine takes 2-3 seconds to fully sleep. Here is how I updated from 10.6.0 to 10.6.2 using skn1hd3t's guide as a reference on a Rev 2.0 MB.

● I ran the MacOSXUpd10.6.1 install package choosing my Snow Leopard partition and re-booted
● I ran myHack_Installer_1.0_RC3_r32 from the 10/9/09 ES2L Kit originally posted by skn1hd33t choosing my Snow Leopard partition as the destination and under Customize excluded SleepEnabler, so I put a check on the ff:

- Core
- com.apple.Boot.plist
- GraphicsEnabler
- fakesmc
- NullCPUPowermanagement
- OpenHaltRestart
- PlatformUUID

● I made a new dstl.aml using the DSDTSE application from this guide and put it in /Extra. skn1hd3t has a new procedure for this now on pg. 1 which I haven't tried. I think you can skip this step as all my original edits were still in the extracted dsdt.dsl file.
● I checked /Extra/Extensions to see if SleepEnabler.kext was in it. (Remove it if it is there). My /Extension folder had the ff:

- fakesmc.kext
- LegacyALC883.kext
- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
- OpenHaltRestart.kext
- PlatformUUID.kext

● I edited the com.apple.Boot.plist and saved it. This step is probably not necessary as you will repeat it after installing 10.6.2 as noted below. Each time myHack Installer is run, this file gets altered and can be updated prior to running pfix2.2.1 so that the right Theme etc. will load. Mine looks like ff.:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>bootcamp</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

● I ran pfix2.2.1 choosing my Snow Leopard partition (it takes about 5 minutes to complete) and then rebooted
● I ran the MacOSXUpd10.6.2 install package choosing my Snow Leopard partition and rebooted
● I repeated the steps above, starting with myHack_Installer through pfix2.2.1 only I put the SleepEnabler.kext from netkas.org in /Extra/Extensions before running pfix2.2.1. Do not check SleepEnabler on the myHack Installer.
● Reboot and your sleep should work fine. Remember to set your sound output back to Internal Speaker as this always gets changed in the update process.

I suspect this process could be shortened, but this is what worked for me and I haven't tried going back and skipping steps as my system is now working fine.

A couple of times my system froze upon waking (spinning pinwheel). It hasn't happened recently, but if it does, I will try the SleepEnabler that is mentioned below:

I'm using the SleepEnabler for 10.6.2 from code.google.com (the Netkas binary patched version didn't work for me), and the HDA and HDAEnabler kexts posted by swhay for audio.

macman20
11-23-2009, 12:40 AM
I am going insane in the membrane here, your guide is the best I have found. Simple to follow although once I have completed this task I want to post an my own "Idiots Guide to G41M-ES2L", all is working except audio ALC888B. Which there is a number of version floating around like "http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182655" . Which simply do not work mainly because people have posted a fix that they themselves have not actually tried. I have a G31M-ES2L but 2x G41M-ES2L which seems to still be available to purchase where the G31 is not. Can you shed some light on this? and maybe point us to a fix that works with your bootloader and the ALC888B codec. Thanks a million.

Andy GA
11-23-2009, 03:22 AM
I have a G31M-ES2L but 2x G41M-ES2L which seems to still be available to purchase where the G31 is not.

macman20, I don't know where you live, but here in the States, the GA-G31M-ES2L Rev. 2 board is still available. I just bought one last week from Newegg and it works great with the addition of a graphics and network card as the onboard LAN does not have a working driver currently. Here is the link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357&Tpk=ga-g31m-es2l

rwillett
11-23-2009, 07:56 PM
I have a working system based on the instructions here, no real issues to be honest so thanks for all the hard work.

I'm trying to upgrade to 10.6.2, I realise the sleepenabler.kext needs changing but read on for my problem.

I cannot find a definitive answer to despite a lot of searching is exactly how does one remove a kext (e.g. sleepenabler), rebuild, reinstall a kext and rebuild. Phrases such as "deinstall the sleepenabler.kext and then reinstall" are bandied around as if these are normal activities.

My assumption is that I do something similar to:

1. cd into the right /extensions directory,
2. rm or rather mv the sleepenabler.kext to somewhere else safe.
3. rebuild the kext cache <-- This is the bit thats odd, I read so many different things, such as ox86tools or kextinstal but they always seem to be fragments of information. Is this pcifix or some other tool?
4. Reboot
5. Update to 10.6.2
6. Install the new updated sleepenabler.kext into the right directory. Again I assume a simple copy is sufficient.
7. Rebuild the kext cache - See point 3.

I have a good working system and do not want to screw it up with messing around with the kext's in a way I don't understand so any help welcomed.

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

Rob.

macusers
11-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Has anyone manage to get audio to work in 64bit on this mobo, if yes, can you share please, I would like to know how you did it. Thanks.

robbie
11-25-2009, 06:36 PM
This worked for me:
Updated to 10.6.2 but did not restart
I removed sleepenabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions (also placed LegacyALC883.kext in there)
Placed new netkas sleepenabler.kext (http://files.netkas.org/10.6.2/SleepEnabler.kext.zip) into /Extra/Extensions
Then i deleted Extensions.mkext from /Extra
Ran Kext Utility from here
(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647)Rebooted and everything cool.

I have a working system based on the instructions here, no real issues to be honest so thanks for all the hard work.

I'm trying to upgrade to 10.6.2, I realise the sleepenabler.kext needs changing but read on for my problem.

I cannot find a definitive answer to despite a lot of searching is exactly how does one remove a kext (e.g. sleepenabler), rebuild, reinstall a kext and rebuild. Phrases such as "deinstall the sleepenabler.kext and then reinstall" are bandied around as if these are normal activities.

My assumption is that I do something similar to:

1. cd into the right /extensions directory,
2. rm or rather mv the sleepenabler.kext to somewhere else safe.
3. rebuild the kext cache <-- This is the bit thats odd, I read so many different things, such as ox86tools or kextinstal but they always seem to be fragments of information. Is this pcifix or some other tool?
4. Reboot
5. Update to 10.6.2
6. Install the new updated sleepenabler.kext into the right directory. Again I assume a simple copy is sufficient.
7. Rebuild the kext cache - See point 3.

I have a good working system and do not want to screw it up with messing around with the kext's in a way I don't understand so any help welcomed.

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

Rob.

rwillett
11-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I followed your instructions and did an upgrade to 10.6.2. It seemed to go OK until the machine rebooted. The iHack screen appears, it all looks OK until I get to the where the login screen should be.

A black screen appears with a mouse cursor. The mouse cursor works, I can move it around, but it's still a black screen. If I press the interrupt button on my PC the correct screen momentarily appears (all the Finder windows and icons etc) and then the machine reboots.If I leave the machine overnight then press the space button all the Apple desktop appears. It doesn't appear after only 15 minutes though.

My card is a Asus badged Nividia 9600GT with 512MB RAM. It worked well under 10.6.1.

Any suggestions at all?

Thanks
Rob.

Nick Nameless
11-26-2009, 05:20 PM
The built-in Intel GMA 3100 (not GMA X3100) is not compatible with either Leo or Snow Leo. It will work but you won't have QI/CE (VESA only) thus making it suck a lot - such as No resolution change, you might have problems watching videos, can't run a lot of programs that are QI/CE dependent, and lots more.

If you can stand that, you can just go ahead and install it while waiting for your dedicated video card.

BTW, when you decide to purchase the video card, make sure it is 100% compatible.

It seems my optiplex 755 does just fine with a gma 3100 in leopard. but in snow it kinda blows me off...

robbie
11-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi Rob,

How are you connecting your graphics card to your screen?

Rob

rwillett
11-26-2009, 08:07 PM
I connect through the VGA port, via a Raritan four port KVM to a VGA screen.

I do not use HDMI.

I have just come home and pressed the space button on the computer and the screen is working. It was not working when I left to go to work this morning.

I wonder if it's due to a screen saver kicking in and making it work (or something). I've just changed the energy saver to one minute, will restart and see what happens.

This is weird.

Rob.

rwillett
11-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Summary of problem
Gigabyte G31M-ESL MB
Dual Core E6300 CPU's
4GB RAM
Asus Nvidia 9600GT graphics card connected to 17" screen by Raaritan 4 port KVM on VGA port. I don;t have HDMI (sadly)

Black screen on boot after 10.6.2 upgrade. New sleepenabler installed.

Whilst it's bad form to reply to your own mail, I have made a rather interesting discovery.

1. I set the Energy Saver for the screen screen, not PC, to one minute.
2. Rebooted the machine and had the same black screen as I normally get after the update to 10.6.2. i.e. I can move the mouse but cannot see the screen.
3. Left the machine untouched for the requisite minute and the monitor clicked into standby as the Graphics card went to sleep. I know thats not the right phrase but hopefully you know what I mean.
4. Hit any key and lo and behold, my screen appeared instantly. No changes to kexts, uninstalls.

I think the black screen is related to some sort of power saving issue NOT the HDMI copy protection stuff that most people have looked at. Of course my guess is worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing :)

Hopefully this may help other people.

petejo
11-28-2009, 03:07 AM
So, I've been trying for a month to get 5.1 Optical working on this board ( v1) without success using a Gigabyte plug-to-M/B adapter.
I can get light from the hole but no audio comes out.

I've had the sysinfo listing it as SPDIF Combo and SPDIF RCA depending on which kexts I'm trying.

I've got 2 channel output from the 3.5mm stereo no problem but I really want 5.1 for Plex.

Has ANYONE managed to get confirmed 5.1 from this board or do I need to upgrade or switch to another platform.....

Cheers for all the information so far!!

Pete

flowrider
11-30-2009, 09:58 AM
1st post but a big lurker!! Thanks for the guide especially for a first timer. Fully working and running stable.

Specs are pretty standard:
GA-GM31-ES2L rev.2
E5200
Zotac 9400GT 1gig
Crucial XMS2 PC6400 - 4gig
WD Raptor and Samsung drives
*edit* additional NIC as the onboard ethernet still isn't working

Dual booting on dual drives - OSX 10.6 and Win 7 64bit

One other question...

How safe is using software update in 10.6? There have been some pretty significant updates and I'm just wondering the risk factor when installed from a retail disc.

flowrider
11-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Sorry everyone another thing just popped up.

Using this guide as a finishing step the Please Sleep kext is loaded onto the system. My question is: Do you have to have the Please Sleep kext and the program loaded in order for the sleep function to work correctly?

Thanks

Steve

fuubar
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Can anybody post the correct BIOS settings for the G31M-ES2L please?

I can't get around the "still waiting for root device" error. I've tried several IDE/SATA settings according to the OSX86 wiki where the problem is mentioned.

My setup is an ide-attached DVD-Rom and an completely unformatted SATA harddrive. As installation method i've chosen the external usb stick. Strangely both devices (hdd,dvd) turn on just before the message of the missing device appears.

thanks for any advice!

monsteroyd
11-30-2009, 09:46 PM
I have the same setup - about the only thing I did slightly unusual was to plug in the SATA drive into SATA1 instead of 0. Anyway BIOS-wise I set the SATA to Auto. Everything works fine

flowrider
11-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Hmmm I would think the issue is with the ide drive. I purposely purchased a SATA DVD drive for this build. At $20 it was cheap enough. I have 3 drives in my system; 1 for OSX, 1 for Win 7, and 1 to image the OSX drive so I can make changes without always having to start from scratch.

I think the issue with the drives is that the bios searches for the SATA and IDE drives on the same channel (at least that my take from reading the POST message) and perhaps there are IRQ issues with this in OSX.

Drive config:
SATA 0 - OSX
SATA 1 - Win7
SATA 2 - OSX image backup
SATA 3 - DVD drive

sk1nhd33t
12-01-2009, 03:03 PM
One other question...

How safe is using software update in 10.6? There have been some pretty significant updates and I'm just wondering the risk factor when installed from a retail disc.

it's safe to update from 10.6.0 to 10.6.2 provided that you remove sleepenabler first before updating and replace it with a newer version of sleepenabler after (get the kext from netkas).

Sorry everyone another thing just popped up.

Using this guide as a finishing step the Please Sleep kext is loaded onto the system. My question is: Do you have to have the Please Sleep kext and the program loaded in order for the sleep function to work correctly?

Thanks

Steve

PleaseSleep is a fix for "automatic sleep", even without this app "manual" sleep works just fine. Note that 'the_accidental' from here and insanelymac has a working automatic sleep on his ES2L F10 bios but even after copying his bios settings to the dot or a new install, it's still wont work on me.. weird e.

also a much better alternative is a script called "RIP" from here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182535), both works on my machine but i prefer RIP since it doesn't involve an ugly menubar icon.

Can anybody post the correct BIOS settings for the G31M-ES2L please?

I can't get around the "still waiting for root device" error. I've tried several IDE/SATA settings according to the OSX86 wiki where the problem is mentioned.

My setup is an ide-attached DVD-Rom and an completely unformatted SATA harddrive. As installation method i've chosen the external usb stick. Strangely both devices (hdd,dvd) turn on just before the message of the missing device appears.

thanks for any advice!

i believe i already posted it a few pages back but i'll save you the trouble in looking for it..

here is a PDF came from weeksauce12 from his old 10.5.7 leopard tutorial (Slytherine).: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3168149/BIOS_Settings_ES2L.pdf

flowrider
12-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the info sk1nhdd33t

Will patch up accordingly and let everyone know how it goes (if anyone cares).

flowrider
12-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Well I've hit the wall...again. I've been trying to update to 10.6.2 and it kernel panics almost immediately. I've lost sound and when I remove sleepenable.kext for some reason I lose my ethernet connnection as well.

I'm not too sure where I went wrong but it's 1:30am and I need to work in the morning. Dammit.

rwillett
12-02-2009, 11:05 AM
I removed sleepenabler.kext, rebuilt the kext cache, downloaded and installed the 10.6.2, added in the new sleepenabler.kext and then rebuilt the cache.

I use the V1 motherboard, your signature appears to be V2 so wonder if that is anything to do with it?

infiniteThanks
12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Summary of problem

1. I set the Energy Saver for the screen screen, not PC, to one minute.
2. Rebooted the machine and had the same black screen as I normally get after the update to 10.6.2. i.e. I can move the mouse but cannot see the screen.
3. Left the machine untouched for the requisite minute and the monitor clicked into standby as the Graphics card went to sleep. I know thats not the right phrase but hopefully you know what I mean.
4. Hit any key and lo and behold, my screen appeared instantly. No changes to kexts, uninstalls.

I think the black screen is related to some sort of power saving issue NOT the HDMI copy protection stuff that most people have looked at. Of course my guess is worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing :)

Hopefully this may help other people.

I have the same problem as you. I cloned my flawless system but the newer setup has only a VGA monitor (1280x1024). Here are my observations:

If I use the original DVI/HDMI/VGA (1920x1080) monitor using DVI or HDMI connectors, it works fine.

If I use the VGA monitor, I get the funny black screen.
If I hit the power button for a very short period, I see the login screen for a fraction of a second and then the machine goes to sleep.

If I hit the power button or any keyboard key or click on the mouse, the machine wakes up and I get the beautiful login screen and things work.

Idle sleep does not seem to work. The displays shuts off but the machine keeps on running. At least the fans were running.

If I force the system to sleep via the menu or the power button, the system DOES go to sleep like it should and wakes up as it should.

Switching to the DVI monitor fixes the login and sleep problems.

I have this wild conjecture that when I use the VGA only monitor, the display system is actually trying to use the DVI port and fails. Hitting the power button may cause it use the VGA port. But this may be my conjecture at 2:27 AM.

fuubar
12-02-2009, 12:13 PM
i believe i already posted it a few pages back but i'll save you the trouble in looking for it..

here is a PDF came from weeksauce12 from his old 10.5.7 leopard tutorial (Slytherine).: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3168149/BIOS_Settings_ES2L.pdf

Thanks so much, i guess my fault was the boot order because that was the only difference. Whatsoever, now it works like charm! Thanks again.

flowrider
12-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I removed sleepenabler.kext, rebuilt the kext cache, downloaded and installed the 10.6.2, added in the new sleepenabler.kext and then rebuilt the cache.

I use the V1 motherboard, your signature appears to be V2 so wonder if that is anything to do with it?

Not too sure either. When I look at the KP screen I see that it is the sleepenabler that is causing the problem. I think that part of the problem was that I tried to load the new sleepenabler kext before doing the upgrade so that I hopefully wouldn't lose ethernet. I must be doing something incorrectly because it's my understanding that sleepenable has nothing to do with ethernet. Gosh this is as bad as when I would spend hours trying to configure early linux distros.

My next step is to download the 10.6.2 combo file and do an offline installation. I'll see if that works.

If anyone is looking for the offline files they can be found here. (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959)

alltoorobot
12-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I have a 10.6 system following this guide. I never used sleep enabler though.

Some people might be interested in the way I test updates now. I use carbon copy to clone my current drive (i was made following this guide). Just reinstall chameleon bootloader ( here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=55844) ). That will give you a perfect copy of your system that is bootable. boot into the new system from bios. try your upgrade configuration. If and when it doesnt work. go to carbon copier again clone your working drive again, this time it wont take very long to clone your drive since it compares files before it moves them. it is awsome.

I am trying to update this system too and I am having trouble. I have gotten 10.6.2 to work.

Update
add new sleepenabler (i didnt have old one)
delete extentions.mkext
rebuild as advise earlier in thread.

got it to boot buuuuuuut

its weird. it doesnt sleep like my current system does. ethernet issues. etc...

i'll keep a look out and I can try a few tweak everyday till i get it. with this carbon copy work flow it is easy to test out changes. good luck. look forward to other results.

russianbandit
12-02-2009, 09:22 PM

How!? How does one rebuild the kext cache?

flowrider
12-02-2009, 10:48 PM
I have a 10.6 system following this guide. I never used sleep enabler though.

Some people might be interested in the way I test updates now. I use carbon copy to clone my current drive (i was made following this guide). Just reinstall chameleon bootloader ( here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=55844) ). That will give you a perfect copy of your system that is bootable. boot into the new system from bios. try your upgrade configuration. If and when it doesnt work. go to carbon copier again clone your working drive again, this time it wont take very long to clone your drive since it compares files before it moves them. it is awsome.

A great suggestion. I've been doing the same thing but have been using Disk Utility. I ran into a problem where it didn't image properly. Do you have Carbon copy on a bootable USB or disk?

BlaSTiWi
12-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Try using http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

How!? How does one rebuild the kext cache?

fuubar
12-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Does somebody have problems while using an usb keyboard and mouse?

I'm not sure how to describe the behaviour, but it's fairly annoying me. If I type fast or using any kind of multiple-key-shortcut serveral keystrokes get lost. It's not repeatable by typing the same, but it's defently not the users fault ;)
Same story while using the mouse. From time to time a click event gets lost.

I've searched the forums and some people had the same problems but no one since snow leopard. According to some solution tips i've disabled usb legacy in the bios, without any change. (changed USB ports as well)

Not sure if it's a problem of my machine or settings...

thank you in advance!

alltoorobot
12-04-2009, 05:33 AM
A great suggestion. I've been doing the same thing but have been using Disk Utility. I ran into a problem where it didn't image properly. Do you have Carbon copy on a bootable USB or disk?

I have two almost identical 500 gig WD hard drives. So I use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my stable system onto the other 500 gig wd hard drive. Like I said before you have to add a boot loader again for your new clone to work. I should try out my 32 gig usb drive see if I can make that a bootable clone too.

macj
12-09-2009, 03:22 AM
thanks.
I have updated to 10.6.2 like in a previous post.

By the way, I am using a rev 2.0 mobo, 4g mem, msi 9400 gt graphics card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127398, another pci nic http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166017

In case some are using case sensitive partition, dsdt.aml should be DSDT.sml. That is, it is CASE SENSITIVE.
Otherwise, sound would not work and others may not.

zim2dive
12-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Are there still issues using 4 gigs of RAM?

ie. when I was doing my 10.5.6 build using this mobo, folks generally recommended sticking with only 2G of memory.. folks with 4G had stability issues... at least that's what my fuzzy mind seems to remember from ~8 months ago when I last did this.

(getting ready to try again, using these very nice instructions for Snow Leopard)

bunun
12-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Are there still issues using 4 gigs of RAM?

ie. when I was doing my 10.5.6 build using this mobo, folks generally recommended sticking with only 2G of memory.. folks with 4G had stability issues... at least that's what my fuzzy mind seems to remember from ~8 months ago when I last did this.

(getting ready to try again, using these very nice instructions for Snow Leopard)

im running 4 gigs of ram, and ive yet to run into problems.

joel_ezekiel
12-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I was going to build a computer for my friends the same as mine which is based off this only its rev. 2 board with a realtek network card.

But i can no longer get this board without ordering it from some online place ive never ordered from (im in australia btw). However i was thinking the g41mt-es2l has realtek network and sound but ddr3 memory. Has anyone used this board or knows if it might have any issues, it seems pretty much identical other then slightly updated with better video which wont be used anyway, it even still uses ich7 i believe.

dustintinsley
12-11-2009, 01:18 AM
I am following this guide with no success. I get to the main wallpaper screen with the colorful spinner, but after about 5-10 seconds the spinner freezes and nothing after that. I have KPs are anything, so I am unsure what could be the cause of this. I am using GraphicsEnabler=y because I am using an Asus EN9400GT video card and have no additional cards or anything installed. Only odd thing is as the setup is loading (during the Chameleon screen after using -v) it reporst my video card as nVidia unknown 512MB. Could this be the issue? I wouldnt think so but I really dont know. Any help is appreciated...

rwillett
12-11-2009, 02:15 PM
I have the Asus EN9400GT card and also get the message it's not recognised, however it works perfectly well.

You don't state what you have done and where the problem occurs, is this during boot, install or after installation.

The more information you provide, the more chance there is of diagnosing the problem.

dustintinsley
12-12-2009, 01:46 AM
I have the Asus EN9400GT card and also get the message it's not recognised, however it works perfectly well.

You don't state what you have done and where the problem occurs, is this during boot, install or after installation.

The more information you provide, the more chance there is of diagnosing the problem.

I re-imaged my disc and gave it another shot and it works. rwillett, you have the same card? do you know how to get sound over hdmi? or if it is possible? i am using hdmi to connect to my flat screen and woiuld love to get sound working over it so i can get rid of these speakers, if possible...

yusofu
12-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Hi Guys,

I just wanna report & share that I had successfully installed above said. :D

Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo + G31M-ES2L + 3Gb DDR2 800 + 9400GT 512Mb
(using patched OSInstall.mpkg + ES2L Kit in Sandisk Cruzer 8Gb & Pendrive 8Gb USB stick)^_^

I have 3 Hdd's.
Hd0 500Gb = Vista, XP, Leopard 10.5.8 Vanilla + NTFS3G
Hd1 320Gb = Leopard 10.5.8 Vanilla (2), 10.6.1 Vanilla + NTFS3G, and
Hd2 160Gb = Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Vanilla (2) + FATs

SL 10.6.1 on GUID partition on Hd2
SL 10.6.1 on MBR partition on Hd1

Deleted Sleep Enabler.kext & installed UD3Pv3 package.
Barfff... barfff... !! yes, updated to 10.6.2 with UD3Pv3 package - but audio not working, - and tried most of Voodoo.kext, Apple HDA's + Realtek ALC883.mpkg - it makes good graphics but No Audio.:(

I'm staying with 10.6.1 now to test if theres any inconsistency issues.

Good so far.:D
Many thanks to all the members around the globe.

Ooops, one more thing ...... the above success are also applied to my 2nd PC C2Q6600 / 9400GT / 2 Gb DDR2 / Asus P5KPL-AM - - - - >> TQ

rwillett
12-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I re-imaged my disc and gave it another shot and it works. rwillett, you have the same card? do you know how to get sound over hdmi? or if it is possible? i am using hdmi to connect to my flat screen and woiuld love to get sound working over it so i can get rid of these speakers, if possible...

Sorry no, don;'t use HDMI so can't help.

Rob.

alltoorobot
12-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry no, don;'t use HDMI so can't help.

Rob.

I dont think video cards output sound through their hdmi. I have a 9800gt and I used both hdmi and vga. I didn't have any sound, just get a headphone out to rca from radio shack.

Also, I followed this guide and I have noticed my usb speeds being slow. According to this (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090813150057AAsqVW6). It takes about 42 secounds to transfer 1 gig of information to a usb drive (connected directly to my board). Any Ideas?

rwillett
12-12-2009, 09:50 PM
You;re confusing USB speeds with disk speeds. USB might be 480mbps (it isn't really), your disks can't output data at those speeds.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, you could have 800mbps Firewire but no disk can work at those speeds.

Oddly enough I'm transferring 69.93GB off a Mac Mini disk to a larger disk via a USB 2.0 connection as we speak.

It has 66GB to go and is estimated to take two hours. Lets assume it does it in two hours, that works out at 550MB per minute which equals 9Mb per second. Which is about right for a 2.5" laptop disk. I could have USB 3.0 but it still wouldn't be quicker.

I have no issues with 9Mb/second, a faster disk would help but for you to get to 1GB in 17 seconds you can't do it off a single disk. Perhaps a disk array with stuff in parallel would help :)

alltoorobot
12-12-2009, 10:00 PM
You;re confusing USB speeds with disk speeds. USB might be 480mbps (it isn't really), your disks can't output data at those speeds.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, you could have 800mbps Firewire but no disk can work at those speeds.

Oddly enough I'm transferring 69.93GB off a Mac Mini disk to a larger disk via a USB 2.0 connection as we speak.

It has 66GB to go and is estimated to take two hours. Lets assume it does it in two hours, that works out at 550MB per minute which equals 9Mb per second. Which is about right for a 2.5" laptop disk. I could have USB 3.0 but it still wouldn't be quicker.

I have no issues with 9Mb/second, a faster disk would help but for you to get to 1GB in 17 seconds you can't do it off a single disk. Perhaps a disk array with stuff in parallel would help :)

Thanks for explaining that to me. I'm setting up a media center and I decided to use a 30gb usb stick as a go between from WD TV and computer. Great explanation of how it really works.

Thanks rwillett

alltoorobot
12-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Any one using the old school PATA (IDE?) HD's I have a few I tried to throw in my machine I got one recognized but it hasnt been recognized again. not really sure what the deal is just wondering. ive toyed with the bios too but again im not sure what I can do, the bios doesn't seam to recognize them. I might need pin covers for the drive. I thought the bios chose which drive was being used so i threw the master slave covers out... Hope I don't need em. Also here are my kexts if anyone sees any tweaks I could make let me know
Sn0ws-iMac:~ sn0w$ kextstat
Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) <Linked Against>
1 57 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.bsd (10.0.0)
2 4 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.dsep (10.0.0)
3 78 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.iokit (10.0.0)
4 84 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.libkern (10.0.0)
5 63 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.mach (10.0.0)
6 24 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.private (10.0.0)
7 39 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.unsupported (10.0.0)
8 0 0 0 0 com.apple.kernel.6.0 (7.9.9)
9 0 0 0 0 com.apple.kernel.bsd (7.9.9)
10 1 0 0 0 com.apple.kernel.iokit (7.9.9)
11 2 0 0 0 com.apple.kernel.libkern (7.9.9)
12 1 0 0 0 com.apple.kernel.mach (7.9.9)
13 8 0x54f19000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.3.0) <7 6 4 3>
14 14 0x5510b000 0x11000 0x10000 com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.6) <7 5 4 3>
15 1 0x551ab000 0x41000 0x40000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.3) <14 13 7 6 5 4 3>
16 0 0x4ecdd000 0x2000 0x1000 com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart (1.0.3) <4 3>
17 0 0x54d1d000 0x2000 0x1000 org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement (1.0.0d2) <7 4 3>
18 0 0x54d29000 0x2000 0x1000 net.osrom.kext.Disabler (1.0.1) <4 3>
19 0 0x54f5c000 0x2000 0x1000 com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID (1.0.0) <4 3>
20 0 0x55208000 0x18000 0x17000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (90.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
21 5 0x55232000 0x18000 0x17000 com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily (1.6) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
22 0 0x5518a000 0x11000 0x10000 com.apple.driver.DiskImages (281) <21 7 6 5 4 3 1>
23 0 0x552aa000 0x8000 0x7000 com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall (2.0.11) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
24 2 0x5512c000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.kext.AppleMatch (1.0.0d1) <4 1>
25 0 0x55185000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.security.quarantine (0) <24 7 6 5 4 2 1>
26 0 0x552a0000 0x8000 0x7000 com.apple.security.sandbox (0) <24 7 6 5 4 2 1>
27 0 0x551a5000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet (6) <7 6 5 4 2 1>
28 0 0x5519b000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleAPIC (1.4) <4 3>
29 0 0x552b2000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS (1.4) <7 4 3>
30 3 0x553c5000 0x3b000 0x3a000 com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily (1.6.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
31 0 0x5522b000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons (1.3) <30 15 13 7 6 5 4 3 1>
32 0 0x55220000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleRTC (9.9) <13 5 4 3 1>
33 0 0x55225000 0x4000 0x3000 org.netkas.fakesmc (2) <13 7 4 3>
34 1 0x551a8000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleEFIRuntime (1.3.0) <7 5 4 3>
35 12 0x5afc4000 0x2f000 0x2e000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.7.8) <7 5 4 3 1>
36 0 0x5af89000 0x10000 0xf000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (3.7.5) <35 14 7 5 4 3 1>
37 2 0x5b16e000 0x43000 0x42000 com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily (4.1.7) <5 4 3 1>
38 0 0x5af99000 0x26000 0x25000 com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI (4.3.4) <37 14 7 6 5 4 3 1>
39 0 0x5af69000 0x14000 0x13000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.7.5) <35 14 7 5 4 3 1>
40 0 0x55395000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM (1.3.0) <34 7 5 4 3>
41 2 0x5b12f000 0xd000 0xc000 com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily (2.5.0) <5 4 3 1>
42 0 0x5af7d000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA (2.5.0) <41 14 5 4 3>
43 1 0x55229000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.7.5) <35 5 4 3 1>
44 0 0x5b151000 0xf000 0xe000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.7.8) <35 5 4 3 1>
46 0 0x5b160000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTyp eZlib (1.0.0d1) <6 4 3 2 1>
47 0 0x5b28a000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.BootCache (31) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
48 0 0x5b2bf000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.iokit.IOATABlockStorage (2.5.0) <41 21 5 4 3 1>
49 0 0x5539b000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.XsanFilter (402.1) <21 5 4 3 1>
50 1 0x5b2b3000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.7.5) <35 4 3 1>
51 2 0x5b397000 0x1a000 0x19000 com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily (2.5.0) <5 4 3 1>
52 0 0x5b37a000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass (2.5.0) <51 35 21 5 4 3 1>
53 0 0x5b3fd000 0x18000 0x17000 com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIBlockCommandsDevice (2.5.0) <51 21 5 4 3 1>
55 0 0x5b3e3000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.7.5) <35 30 5 4 3 1>
56 0 0x5b593000 0xa000 0x9000 com.apple.filesystems.autofs (2.1.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
57 1 0x5b585000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily (3.4.0a20) <6 5 4 3>
58 2 0x5b59d000 0xa000 0x9000 com.apple.driver.AppleSMC (3.0.1d2) <13 7 5 4 3>
59 0 0x5b603000 0xf000 0xe000 com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (3.4.0a20) <58 57 14 13 7 6 5 4 3>
60 2 0x5b84c000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily (10.0.2) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
61 1 0x5b861000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.driver.Apple16X50Serial (3.0) <60 14 5 4 3>
62 0 0x5b29d000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.driver.Apple16X50ACPI (3.0) <61 13 4 3>
63 1 0x5b541000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib (1.3) <5 4>
64 2 0x5b81d000 0x17000 0x16000 com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily (1.7.0fc16) <63 5 4 3 1>
65 0 0x5b98e000 0x34000 0x33000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBAudio (2.6.4b15) <64 35 5 4 3>
68 7 0x5b8d7000 0x2c000 0x2b000 com.apple.iokit.AppleProfileFamily (40) <14 7 6 5 4 3 1>
70 3 0x5b963000 0x16000 0x15000 com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily (1.8) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
71 0 0x5b979000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireIP (2.0.3) <70 37 5 4 3 1>
72 0 0x5b982000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.driver.AppleRTL8169Ethernet (1.1) <70 14 5 4 3 1>
73 0 0x5b9fd000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet (2.0.9) <70 35 7 5 4 3 1>
74 4 0x5ba08000 0x1e000 0x1d000 com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily (2.0) <14 7 5 4 3>
75 2 0x5b9e6000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport (2.0) <74 14 7 5 4 3>
76 2 0x5c6a0000 0x294000 0x293000 com.apple.NVDAResman (6.0.0) <75 74 14 5 4 3 1>
77 0 0x5cdfd000 0x473000 0x472000 com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal (6.0.0) <76 4 3>
78 0 0x55100000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AudioIPCDriver (1.1.0) <64 5 4 3 1>
80 0 0x5bc73000 0xa7000 0xa6000 com.apple.GeForce (6.0.0) <76 75 74 14 7 6 5 4 3 1>
81 0 0x5b988000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X (7.0.0) <58 7 4 3 1>
82 0 0x5b9f4000 0x7000 0x6000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPenrynProfile (17) <68 6 4 3>
83 0 0x5b612000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleUpstreamUserClient (3.0.5) <74 14 13 7 5 4 3 1>
84 0 0x5ba74000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothSerialManager (2.2f18) <60 7 5 4 3 1>
86 0 0x5ba5e000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.iokit.IOSurface (73.0) <7 5 4 3 1>
87 0 0x5b394000 0x3000 0x2000 com.evosx86.driver.lspcidrv (1.0) <4 3>
88 0 0x5b549000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileCallstackAction (20) <68 5 4 3 1>
89 0 0x5b55e000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileKEventAction (10) <68 4 3 1>
90 0 0x5b535000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileRegisterStateAction (10) <68 4 3 1>
91 0 0x5b565000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileThreadInfoAction (14) <68 6 4 3 1>
92 0 0x5b56d000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileTimestampAction (10) <68 5 4 3 1>
93 0 0x5b57d000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileReadCounterAction (17) <68 6 4 3>
94 0 0x5bd1a000 0xd4000 0xd3000 com.vmware.kext.vmx86 (3.0.0) <11 5 4 3 1>
95 0 0x5bbc6000 0xc000 0xb000 com.vmware.kext.vmci (3.0.0) <5 4 3 1>
96 0 0x5bbd2000 0x6000 0x5000 com.vmware.kext.vmioplug (3.0.0) <35 30 5 4 3 1>
97 0 0x5bc2d000 0xa000 0x9000 com.vmware.kext.vmnet (3.0.0) <5 4 3 1>
99 0 0x54df1000 0x3000 0x2000 com.bresink.driver.BRESINKx86Monitoring (5.0) <12 11 10>
100 3 0x5be08000 0x21000 0x20000 org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (3.0.8) <7 5 4 3 1>
101 0 0x54ddc000 0x7000 0x6000 org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (3.0.8) <100 43 35 7 5 4 3 1>
102 0 0x54dc1000 0x4000 0x3000 org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (3.0.8) <100 7 5 4 3 1>
103 0 0x54da7000 0x3000 0x2000 org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (3.0.8) <100 5 4 1>
104 0 0x54db9000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleHWSensor (1.9.2d0) <5 4 3>
105 0 0x5b3dc000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub (3.7.5) <50 35 4 3 1>
Sn0ws-iMac:~ sn0w$

Thanks again

rwillett
12-13-2009, 10:15 AM
I tried to do this yesterday and never got it to work. The BIOS recognised the disks (as it should) but SL failed to see them. I suspect a new Kext is needed but I put mine in a Firewire enclosure and it worked fine.

alltoorobot
12-13-2009, 06:13 PM
I had one working, I'll let you know if I can get it working again. I switched a few kexts around I have to figure out what was working. I

simsim
12-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Regarding IDE drives.
My backup clone is on a IDE drive and boots fine, also the dvd drive I sometimes connect is IDE.
I don't use any special kexts. It's just a hassle to get the little jumpers right on the drives, the master/slave thing. And then the connector on the IDE cable matters too, middle or end. One time I couldn't get it to work no matter what I did, but then I discovered that a cable had got lose at the molex connector, so no power...

yogi446
12-14-2009, 01:10 PM
" I thought the bios chose which drive was being used so i threw the master slave covers out"

I assume you mean jumpers? To some extent you're right, but you really do need them. Unless you do cable select, which can be a bit flaky and then where on the cable they are matters more, and you need the right sort of cable for it.

IDE drives also work fine for me here.

As above, make sure you have it cabled up right.

That means master *should* be on the end of the IDE cable (and make sure it's the correct sort, should be an 80 not 40 wire one for HDs), the slave nearer the mobo. Also be sure to set master/slave jumpers correctly.

hackin804
12-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Hi, I am working on my second hackintosh (last one was like a year ago, and the whole ideneb thing was allot easier for me :p)

Anyway I have a G31M-ES2L with a 2.33ghz c2d, 4gb of ram, ati 4550 card.

I was able to make it through 90% of the instructions in the OP, when I got to the part about finding "_WAK" and coping DTDG I did not understand what it wanted me to do.

- on your keyboard press "command F (Find)" and look for "_WAK", right above it copy paste "DTGP" located on your dsdtfix file
- again "command F (Find)" and enter RTC, look for "0x04" below RTC and changed them to "0x02" - this fix is for CMOS Reset
- command F (Find) and enter Azalia, go to dsdtfix file and copy paste "HDEF" to your dsl replacing azalia.. again check my included dsl for reference - this is for ALC883 Audio
- when done and sure everything is correct, hit save or (command S) to save your dsdt.dsl
- to compile it to .aml, drag and drop it (dsdt.dsl) to iAslMe, you'll get 1 warning (PARM under IGD0) but hopefully you have 0 error
- look for Sessions folder and copy dsdt.aml to /Extra of your Snow Leopard

What DTGP is it talking about? In the authors file it has those letters mixed in with a whole bunch of other stuff 2 lines above _WAK.

I also did the search for RTC on my file, and I did not see a 0x04, I even tried a search for 0x04, with no results.

I tried doing pfix with the authors .aml file, yet all i get is premission denied on ever line (no I don't have a pass or anything that would limit it).

Can some explain to me how I am doing this wrong? I would really like to get this thing to work.

zim2dive
12-16-2009, 03:55 AM
Ok, I've followed the guide, but am a bit shaky on a few points. I went thru all this with 10.5.6 8 months ago and had it working, but then went a different direction since then, and am just now coming back to the ox86 world, so I'm a little rusty. Please forgive these being basic questions...

I've done the SL install and booted to my SATA drive with success. I have audio and ethernet working.

Question #1: I have an E5200 2.5GHz dual core proc. I'm unclear which smbios I should choose (the iMac I think). I copied the iMac 9,1 folder over from the USB and set SMMAximalclock to 2500, but About this Mac reports 2.57GHz .. is that ok?

Question #2: several places in the guide it mentions that "QE/CI is already activated".. how does one tell under SL?... when I did this with 10.5.6, I _think_ (fuzzy memory) it would tell you under About this Mac/More Info/ Graphics.. but I don't see any indication here (9500 GT).. NOR (as a sanity check) on my MacBook (with 9400M)
EDIT: add, I found this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6CNs-Zvkw which clearly shows what I would have expected to see.. BUT as I said, even on my 2009 MacBook I don't see that ?!?!?

Question #3: when I was doing this with 10.5.6, the 8400 card I had then was somewhat unsupported (my EFI strings were never the same)... and changing resolution had the potential to render the system useless... is it safe to change resolutions nowadays?

Giving back #1:. I saw several questions about temperature monitoring (and I really wish iStat would work), but "Temperature Monitor" will work (the full version installs an extra driver that does the trick). Cpu Info didn't seem to provide that info for me (recommended elsewhere)
EDIT: has anyone tried FakeSMC? http://netkas.org/?p=338 .. comments suggest varied levels of success.

All in all, this was a MUCH smoother process than when I was cramming 10.5.6 onto this mobo. Many thanks for the guide !!!

zim2dive
12-16-2009, 02:35 PM
So, I've been trying for a month to get 5.1 Optical working on this board ( v1) without success using a Gigabyte plug-to-M/B adapter.
I can get light from the hole but no audio comes out.

I've had the sysinfo listing it as SPDIF Combo and SPDIF RCA depending on which kexts I'm trying.

I've got 2 channel output from the 3.5mm stereo no problem but I really want 5.1 for Plex.

Has ANYONE managed to get confirmed 5.1 from this board or do I need to upgrade or switch to another platform.....

Cheers for all the information so far!!

Pete

I had digital audio working under 10.5.6 (see link in my sig), altho I was using coax, not optical. I now have 2 G31Ms in the house.. and the gigabyte adapter stayed with the other mobo which is doing duty as HTPC and all-around web/mail server. I have another similar adapter that I picked up out of a junk pile at work which I will get around to trying over the holidays and will post the results.

zim2dive
12-17-2009, 03:02 AM
This worked for me:
Updated to 10.6.2 but did not restart
I removed sleepenabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions (also placed LegacyALC883.kext in there)
Placed new netkas sleepenabler.kext (http://files.netkas.org/10.6.2/SleepEnabler.kext.zip) into /Extra/Extensions
Then i deletedExtensions.mkext from /Extra
Ran Kext Utility from here
(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647)Rebooted and everything cool.

Just to add to the notes...

The sleepenabler file at netkas.org doesn't seem to be there after the server crash. I got it from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466

In Terminal I cd'd to /Extra/Extensions and did a sudo rm -r -f on SleepEnabler and ran the kext update tool.

In System Update, I did not find a way to install without a reboot??? so I installed and rebooted (reboot to Desktop, and About this Mac reports 10.6.2)

I copied the new sleepenabler into E/E and ran kext util.

But no sound... I went in to the Sound panel and re-selected Internal speakers (I have speakers connected to the green jack on the back) and all is well.

Then applied the 3 new Java/iTunes/something-else updates and rebooted again.

This time however I got a KP, it looks like with (the ISleepEnabler

So I rebooted to the USB installer stick and ran Terminal (from the Utilities menu) removed SleepEnabler and Extensions.mkext (no sudo needed, guess the installer disc runs as root) and then restarted.

I had no sound and no sound options.. so I ran the kext util again... and rebooted again.

So I'm at 10.6.2 with sound, but I guess no sleep for now.

EDIT: I installed fakeSMC 2.5 and re-installed the new sleepenabler. Then ran kext util and rebooted. iStat widget (and iStat menus) now reports temperatures. Sleep is instantaneous and more importantly seems to work too :) (altho I have all the key info not found junk in dmesg)

zim2dive
12-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm still confused by this comment:

depending on your graphic card you will notice that QE/CI is already activated...

According to Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1582 Verifying compatibility with System Profiler This section applies to Mac OS X v10.5 or earlier; as mentioned above, if you use Mac OS X v10.6 or later your Mac is already using Quartz Extreme and Core Image.Implying that QE/CI is automatic with 10.6, and is not communicated to the user like it was under 10.5.

Under 10.5 installs, yeah, this was one of the 1st things I'd check after install :) (I never got the 8400 I was using to be very stable)

EDIT: I do see other threads where ppl talk about it not being active.. what are the easiest things to check (since it doesn't seem to be listed under System Profiler anymore)

Andy GA
12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm still confused...

EDIT: I do see other threads where ppl talk about it not being active.. what are the easiest things to check (since it doesn't seem to be listed under System Profiler anymore)

To check to see if QE/CI is working, Open your dashboard and add a widget. If you get the bubble effect when it is added, then QE/CI is active.

zim2dive
12-17-2009, 11:24 PM
To check to see if QE/CI is working, Open your dashboard and add a widget. If you get the bubble effect when it is added, then QE/CI is active.

I got big ripples on a pond, so I guess its working :)

thanks!

doogles
12-18-2009, 12:10 AM
excellent guide followed it
Problem im having now is i can't boot from the HD. It works fine if i boot from usb and point to towards the HD. But when i try to boot just HD it says boo0: GPT boot0: testing boot0:testing boot0: error
I did my reading and everyone says reinstall chameleon. I have done that two diff ways now. The manual way via cmd line, and also using the old RC2 pkg installer and replacing boot with the RC4 version. Trying both those ways resulted in no change, i still get the boot0 error. I would love any insight into this error.
I did just try fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 and set the part active. That also didn't change anything and i got same result of boot0 error.
I would appreciate any help
Thanks!

hibert
12-18-2009, 02:54 AM
hi guys

First of all , excellent guide (Y)
Itīs my first post and first OSx86 projekt
everything works fine on my G31M.ES2L but sound dont work.

i am a bit confused on this step , taken from first page

- again "command F (Find)" and enter RTC, look for "0x04" below RTC and changed them to "0x02" - this fix is for CMOS Reset
- command F (Find) and enter Azalia, go to dsdtfix file and copy paste "HDEF" to your dsl replacing azalia.. again check my included dsl for reference - this is for ALC883 Audio
- when done and sure everything is correct, hit save or (command S) to save your dsdt.dsl
- to compile it to .aml, drag and drop it (dsdt.dsl) to iAslMe, you'll get 1 warning (PARM under IGD0) but hopefully you have 0 error

i cant find "RTC with 0x04 & Azalia" in my dsdt.dsl file.
but why ?
what i do wrong ?
please help me :-!

sk1nhd33t
12-18-2009, 04:14 AM
i cant find "RTC with 0x04 & Azalia" in my dsdt.dsl file.
but why ?
what i do wrong ?
please help me :-!

for RTC search for "PNP0B00" instead, you'll end up with this below, change 0x04 to 0x02.

Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
0x04, // Length
)
})
Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
0x04, // Length
)
})
for Azalia search AZAL or "0x001B0000", change it to hdef by copy pasting the code on the other txt file. Dont forget to add alc883 kext and recreate your mkext after. HTH

Device (AZAL)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x05,
0x05
})
}
}

zim2dive
12-18-2009, 05:08 AM
FWIW, I get these Xbench results with an E5200 and a single 2G stick of RAM

Overall 144.03
CPU 177.30
Thread 205.34
Memory 161.36
Quartz 225.68
OpenGL 90.05
User Interface 286.73
Disk 77.70

Looking at Mac Mini results as a comparison (figured I'd check against the 2.53 versions), the place where I see wacked better results is on memory and/or disk test.. any idea how folks get those #'s, and/or if they translate into real-usage improvement, or just nicer scores?

alltoorobot
12-18-2009, 07:23 AM
I was wondering if some one who did a successful upgrade could give me they're kextstat from terminal. I want to compare my kexts with yours. And remind me or show me which ones were changed before and after thanks!

hibert
12-18-2009, 09:02 AM
thanks sk1nhd33t for the help .
i create a new dsdt.dsl to make it right. (with DSDT Patcher)
in the file there is still no entry like

Device (AZAL)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x05,
0x05
})
}
}

i found the same entry like in the .txt

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x05,
0x05
})
}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x0A)
{
"built-in",
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
},

"codec-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x83, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
},

"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x73, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
},

"device-type",
Buffer (0x10)
{
"Realtek ALC883"
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

but this is the part i have to replace ???
looks like the replacing part is in the new dsdt.dsl before i edit it ???
i have "LEGACYALC883.kext" in my extras/extensions folder.
any idea ?

zim2dive
12-18-2009, 12:25 PM
I was wondering if some one who did a successful upgrade could give me they're kextstat from terminal. I want to compare my kexts with yours. And remind me or show me which ones were changed before and after thanks!

Here's my info, but someone else will have to comment as to what changed. I went from 10.6.0 directly to 10.6.2 (combo). Outside whatever the upgrade may have changed on it own, I then added the (new) sleepenabler and fakesmc2.5. HTH.
>kextstat
Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) <Linked Against>
1 48 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.bsd (10.2.0)
2 4 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.dsep (10.2.0)
3 71 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.iokit (10.2.0)
4 76 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.libkern (10.2.0)
5 56 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.mach (10.2.0)
6 25 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.private (10.2.0)
7 39 0 0 0 com.apple.kpi.unsupported (10.2.0)
8 0 0 0 0 com.apple.kernel.6.0 (7.9.9)
9 0 0 0 0 com.apple.kernel.bsd (7.9.9)
10 1 0 0 0 com.apple.kernel.iokit (7.9.9)
11 1 0 0 0 com.apple.kernel.libkern (7.9.9)
12 1 0 0 0 com.apple.kernel.mach (7.9.9)
13 9 0x2eab9000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.3.0) <7 6 4 3>
14 16 0x2ecab000 0x11000 0x10000 com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.6) <7 5 4 3>
15 1 0x2ed4b000 0x41000 0x40000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.3) <14 13 7 6 5 4 3>
16 0 0x28895000 0x2000 0x1000 com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart (1.0.3) <4 3>
17 0 0x288b5000 0x2000 0x1000 org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement (1.0.0d2) <7 4 3>
18 0 0x2e8bd000 0x2000 0x1000 com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID (1.0.0) <4 3>
19 0 0x2e8c9000 0x2000 0x1000 sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler (1.0.1) <7 4 3>
20 0 0x2eda8000 0x1b000 0x1a000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (96.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
21 3 0x2edd5000 0x18000 0x17000 com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily (1.6) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
22 0 0x2ed2a000 0x11000 0x10000 com.apple.driver.DiskImages (281) <21 7 6 5 4 3 1>
23 0 0x2ee43000 0x8000 0x7000 com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall (2.1.11) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
24 2 0x2eca7000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.kext.AppleMatch (1.0.0d1) <4 1>
25 0 0x2ed23000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.security.quarantine (0) <24 7 6 5 4 2 1>
26 0 0x2ee56000 0x8000 0x7000 com.apple.security.sandbox (0) <24 7 6 5 4 2 1>
27 0 0x2ed1d000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet (6) <7 6 5 4 2 1>
28 0 0x2eccc000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleAPIC (1.4) <4 3>
29 0 0x2ee4b000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS (1.4) <7 4 3>
30 0 0x2ed20000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleHPET (1.4) <13 7 5 4 3>
31 0 0x2ef5a000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.driver.AppleRTC (1.3) <13 5 4 3 1>
32 2 0x34a62000 0x3b000 0x3a000 com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily (1.6.1) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
33 0 0x2edce000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons (1.3) <32 15 13 7 6 5 4 3 1>
34 0 0x2edc3000 0x4000 0x3000 org.netkas.fakesmc (2) <13 7 4 3>
35 1 0x2edc7000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleEFIRuntime (1.3.0) <7 5 4 3>
36 0 0x2ef4d000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM (1.3.0) <35 7 5 4 3>
37 6 0x2efa1000 0x2f000 0x2e000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.8.5) <14 7 5 4 3 1>
38 0 0x34b30000 0x10000 0xf000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (3.7.5) <37 14 7 5 4 3 1>
39 0 0x34b10000 0x14000 0x13000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.7.5) <37 14 7 5 4 3 1>
40 2 0x34b95000 0xd000 0xc000 com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily (2.5.0) <5 4 3 1>
41 0 0x34b24000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA (2.5.0) <40 14 5 4 3>
42 0 0x2ecfd000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.8.5) <37 7 5 4 3 1>
43 0 0x34bb7000 0xf000 0xe000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.8.4) <37 5 4 3 1>
45 0 0x34c4d000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.iokit.IOATABlockStorage (2.5.0) <40 21 5 4 3 1>
46 0 0x2eff8000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTyp eZlib (1.0.0d1) <6 4 3 2 1>
47 0 0x34b56000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.BootCache (31) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
48 0 0x2edd2000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.XsanFilter (402.1) <21 5 4 3 1>
49 0 0x34b67000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.7.5) <37 4 3 1>
50 0 0x34cbd000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.8.4) <37 32 5 4 3 1>
51 7 0x3502d000 0x2c000 0x2b000 com.apple.iokit.AppleProfileFamily (41) <14 7 6 5 4 3 1>
53 2 0x34e65000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily (10.0.3) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
54 1 0x34eda000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.driver.Apple16X50Serial (3.0) <53 14 5 4 3>
55 0 0x2ef2d000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.driver.Apple16X50ACPI (3.0) <54 13 4 3>
56 2 0x34eed000 0x7000 0x6000 com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily (1.7.9a4) <5 4 3 1>
57 6 0x35090000 0x1e000 0x1d000 com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily (2.0) <14 7 5 4 3>
58 1 0x34fb1000 0x14000 0x13000 com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (1.7.9a4) <57 56 14 5 4 3 1>
59 2 0x34e7d000 0xa000 0x9000 com.apple.driver.AppleSMC (3.0.1d2) <13 7 5 4 3>
60 1 0x34e87000 0x16000 0x15000 com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily (1.9) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
61 0 0x34ec5000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.driver.AppleRTL8169Ethernet (1.1) <60 14 5 4 3 1>
62 3 0x34ea9000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport (2.0) <57 14 7 5 4 3>
63 2 0x35cc8000 0x2b3000 0x2b2000 com.apple.NVDAResman (6.0.6) <62 57 14 5 4 3 1>
64 0 0x36458000 0x487000 0x486000 com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal (6.0.6) <63 4 3>
65 0 0x2efef000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.4.9) <14 5 4 3>
66 1 0x34fa0000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily (4.0.1d0) <6 5 4 3>
67 0 0x34fd0000 0xf000 0xe000 com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (4.0.1d0) <66 59 14 13 7 6 5 4 3>
68 0 0x34f58000 0x1a000 0x19000 com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily (2.6.0) <5 4 3 1>
70 2 0x2eff2000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib (1.3) <5 4>
71 3 0x352be000 0x18000 0x17000 com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily (1.7.2fc1) <70 5 4 3 1>
72 1 0x353b6000 0x7f000 0x7e000 com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib (1.7.9a4) <71 70 5 4 3 1>
73 0 0x352f3000 0xa9000 0xa8000 com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (1.7.9a4) <72 71 62 58 57 56 5 4 3 1>
74 0 0x3545c000 0x99000 0x98000 com.apple.GeForce (6.0.6) <63 62 57 14 7 6 5 4 3 1>
75 0 0x2ec8e000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AudioIPCDriver (1.1.2) <71 5 4 3 1>
76 0 0x34ed3000 0x7000 0x6000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPenrynProfile (17) <51 6 4 3>
78 0 0x34ef4000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleUpstreamUserClient (3.1.0) <57 14 13 7 5 4 3 1>
79 0 0x34ef9000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X (7.0.0) <59 7 4 3 1>
82 0 0x34f48000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothSerialManager (2.2.4f3) <53 7 5 4 3 1>
83 0 0x350d0000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.iokit.IOSurface (73.0) <7 5 4 3 1>
84 0 0x34b2d000 0x3000 0x2000 com.evosx86.driver.lspcidrv (1.0) <4 3>
85 0 0x2e9de000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileCallstackAction (20) <51 5 4 3 1>
87 0 0x2e9e8000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileKEventAction (10) <51 4 3 1>
89 0 0x34c74000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileRegisterStateAction (10) <51 4 3 1>
90 0 0x34e0b000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileThreadInfoAction (14) <51 6 4 3 1>
91 0 0x34e21000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileTimestampAction (10) <51 5 4 3 1>
92 0 0x34e4d000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleProfileReadCounterAction (17) <51 6 4 3>
93 0 0x35765000 0xa000 0x9000 com.apple.filesystems.autofs (2.1.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
94 0 0x34e34000 0x3000 0x2000 com.bresink.driver.BRESINKx86Monitoring (5.0) <12 11 10>
95 0 0x35105000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleHWSensor (1.9.2d0) <5 4 3>
96 0 0x34f27000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.nke.asp_tcp (5.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
97 0 0x35ac8000 0x57000 0x56000 com.apple.filesystems.afpfs (9.6) <7 6 5 4 3 1>

zim2dive
12-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Temperatures. I have installed FakeSMC2.5 and have *3* temp utils now... each reporting DIFFERENT temps (in F) :)

iStat Pro: 94 101
iStat Menus: 93 100
Temperature Monitor: 102 109

On the plus side, they show a consistent difference (btw the 2 cores) of 7F... and at least all 3 are in the same magnitude of reading..

any thought on why none of them agree? :)

zim2dive
12-19-2009, 03:17 AM
The 1st post says to Use R1000Use R1000 installer that's included in the ES2L Kit installer that's included in the ES2L KitThe closest thing I see is the "Bonjour Fix/SnowR1000"..... but that doesn't seem to do the trick for me... I just ran it (after updating to 10.6.2)... it said to reboot, I did, and I still cannot see my Airport Extreme. (I also ran kext util and rebooted a 2nd time, just to be sure).

Any help?

edit: digging around, I see that SnowR1000 is supposed to installl RealtekR1000SL.kext in S/L/E.. when I looked, it was not there (even tho the installed appeared to have run successfully. I re-ran (then ran kext util just in case) and rebooted, and now its working.

zim2dive
12-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm still a bit skeptical about my core temps... each util reports a different value, and they _never_ seem to change...

That aside, I'm wondering what are the options for the case fans connected to the 3-pin "sys_fan" connector on this mobo (over near the USB connectors)... it seems like the fan is always on... is there a way to make its speed more variable?

alltoorobot
12-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks Zim2dive

so i'm running what appears to be a stable 10.6.2. Some how my install never had a sleep enabler to get rid of. I usually install the bare minimum kexts and see if I can run it as vanilla as possible. I did however read carefully Netkas (http://netkas.org/?p=315) how to.

"How to update – it’s easy.
Use any disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, for example – NullCPUPM.kext, install it to Extra mkext and reboot, of course if you made AppleIntelCPUPM to speedstep your cpu, you can skip this step.
Make backup of your kexts, you might need some.
Remove SleepEnabler.kext if you use it, this is very important step, old sleepenabler + new kernel = panic.
Hit the update button, if you need to edit some kexts AFTER update and BEFORE reboot – download and install update from apple site.
After reboot – re-add your device-ids to kexts where you need it and enjoy."

I used http://files.netkas.org/10.6.2/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip. going through proper install protocol. I delete my extentions.mkext and rebuild it with Kext Utility.

I did also add the sleep enabler too cause I heard your cpu can run hotter w/o it.

The first boot up of 10.6.2 was weird. I had a delayed fad from blue to my normal desktop. This seamed to happen the first couple of reboots. Also I had an issue where my usb mouse and keyboard need to be unplugged and plugged back in, in order to be recognized (had this prob w/ 10.6 too but not as often).

Every thing seams to be smoother after a few reboots, weird!

Thanks to everyone for the help

lflashl
12-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Thank you so much for this, im also new and have just got me leopard working and now learning how to get snow leopard! everything is working but that last part. but ill get it working. Once again great write up and thanks...

UPDATE: Got my sound working, all i did was just copy over your file, and its work. i know this is not the best way but i have sound! Problem fixed, reinstall and did not click on the SleepEnabler when installing, then updated and i need to install the update, i have downloaded the file could anyone please give me some info on how to install this?

lflashl
12-24-2009, 02:11 AM
Hi, I am working on my second hackintosh (last one was like a year ago, and the whole ideneb thing was allot easier for me :p)

Anyway I have a G31M-ES2L with a 2.33ghz c2d, 4gb of ram, ati 4550 card.

I was able to make it through 90% of the instructions in the OP, when I got to the part about finding "_WAK" and coping DTDG I did not understand what it wanted me to do.

- on your keyboard press "command F (Find)" and look for "_WAK", right above it copy paste "DTGP" located on your dsdtfix file

What DTGP is it talking about? In the authors file it has those letters mixed in with a whole bunch of other stuff 2 lines above _WAK.

I also did the search for RTC on my file, and I did not see a 0x04, I even tried a search for 0x04, with no results.

I tried doing pfix with the authors .aml file, yet all i get is premission denied on ever line (no I don't have a pass or anything that would limit it).

Can some explain to me how I am doing this wrong? I would really like to get this thing to work.

you need to runn that as sudo(admin), so open terminal, type "sudo and then drag the program into terminal, and then enter, next it will ask for you password type it in and away it will go. I hope this helps in someway....

Sileem
12-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the guide, I Got 10.6.2 working great so far, but I was wondering if anyone could reffer me to a good guide for enabling native speed stepping.