PDA

View Full Version : [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

sk1nhd33t
12-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the guide, I Got 10.6.2 working great so far, but I was wondering if anyone could reffer me to a good guide for enabling native speed stepping.

here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631&st=0&start=0

and here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192518&st=0&start=0

to start of, it's really a complex process but reading them over and over and asking question will help. Do note that i have speedstep working, wake from aluminum keyboard, shutdown and restart w/o Openhalt kext (or the likes)..

lot's of people help me including xopher, mm67, AudiSport, MC and many more :)

Good Luck and Merry X-Mass (2 more hours from where i'm from).

zim2dive
12-27-2009, 09:33 PM
That sounds to me like the bootloader isn't installed on your HD. Did you rerun myHack and target your boot SL hard drive?

For the overclock all I did was set the cpu multiplier to 10.5 and the front side bus to 325MHz. I had the front side bus at 333MHz but after the machine would sleep it would be awake for about 10 mins and would then kernel panic. Backing off the front side bus to 325MHz seems to have fixed that.

Britney

I'm new to OC'ing... I just tried this... with an 2.5GHZ E5200 and DDR2-800 ram

On the MIT BIOS page I changed
Freq 200 -> 240
PCI Freq Auto->100
SPD Auto->3.3

This gives me 3.0 GHz on the E5200 (in theory the E5200 has much more headroom than this) and maintains 800MHz on the RAM... I think (as I said this is new to me)

SL is booting, have not used long enough to comment on long term stability.. wanted to get feedback from other folks.

My Xbench scores jumped from

Overall 144.03 -> 164.27
CPU 177.30 -> 214.95
Thread 205.34 -> 300.10
Memory 161.36 -> 178.32
Quartz 225.68 -> 270.25
OpenGL 90.05 -> 109.40
User Interface 286.73 -> 349.85
Disk 77.70 -> 75.06

No change in system temp according to iStat and Temperature Monitor.. but as mentioned before I do not actually believe these work, b/c the temps never change and are the same as reported without OCing.

EDIT: on the temp I installed http://macbricol.free.fr/coreduotemp/ and then the 32-bit SL version of MSR Tools (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631&st=80&p=1259137&#) and my temps now do seem to move... again every utility seems to report a DIFFERENT set of temps, but at least now they appear to be move-able. Idling around 37C and peaking around 50C playing Quake 4 with the 5200 at 3.0GHz.

discol
12-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi!

I`ve got some problems during installation...

I`ve done everything at is writen in Step by step guide on this thread,

but installation stops responding after initializing ethernet.
(checked in -v mode...)

(onboard audio is disabled because of using ToneportGX USB audio card)

Does any know solution for this? :)

I would be very greatful for help!:)

Discol

My specification:

Motherboard:GA-G31M-S2L
Processor: Dual Core E2160
Graphics Card: ATI 2600XT PCI-E
Pendrive: 16GB usb Toshiba
Hard disk: Sata II 500GB

zim2dive
12-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi!

I`ve got some problems during installation...

I`ve done everything at is writen in Step by step guide on this thread,

but installation stops responding after initializing ethernet.
(checked in -v mode...)

(onboard audio is disabled because of using ToneportGX USB audio card)

Does any know solution for this? :)

I would be very greatful for help!:)

Discol

My specification:

Motherboard:GA-G31M-S2L
Processor: Dual Core E2160
Graphics Card: ATI 2600XT PCI-E
Pendrive: 16GB usb Toshiba
Hard disk: Sata II 500GB

Which version of the mobo? rev 1 or rev 2? can you try the install w/o the audio card and then put that back in _after_ everything else is working?

EDIT: also I note you have the non-E S2L flavor of this mobo. What are the diffs?

discol
12-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Which version of the mobo? rev 1 or rev 2? can you try the install w/o the audio card and then put that back in _after_ everything else is working?

EDIT: also I note you have the non-E S2L flavor of this mobo. What are the diffs?

I think this is rev2.

Here is my motherboard specification - i don`t see any differences in comparison to ES2L model...

http://www.gigabyte.eu/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2693

also i tried to install with and without onboard audio and external usb...

same problem exists:

System not responding after initializing ethernet.

Should I add other kext files?

I have no idea how to solve problem...

zim2dive
12-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I think this is rev2.

Here is my motherboard specification - i don`t see any differences in comparison to ES2L model...

same problem exists:

I believe the folks with the rev 2 of the ES2L need a separate NIC. On the rev 1, we have a Realtek chip for LAN, I don't see any LAN chip called out on your mobo specs at Gigabyte. Try booting in linux and do an lspci to see what you have. I believe your ALC662 _is_ supported for audio, but you'll have to track down a kext for that.

discol
12-28-2009, 04:48 PM
I believe the folks with the rev 2 of the ES2L need a separate NIC. On the rev 1, we have a Realtek chip for LAN, I don't see any LAN chip called out on your mobo specs at Gigabyte. Try booting in linux and do an lspci to see what you have. I believe your ALC662 _is_ supported for audio, but you'll have to track down a kext for that.

Lan chipset onboard is:

realtek 8111

Maybe it causes a problem?

zim2dive
12-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Lan chipset onboard is:

realtek 8111

Maybe it causes a problem?

Shouldn't.. that's what is on the ES2L rev 1 (lspci reports Realtek RTL8111/8168B)

discol
12-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Solved!

It freezes because of 2600XT, after booting on onboard x3100 graphics all works fine..

ATI card works after deleting two kext files related to this graphics card.

Now it works without GE/CL support at 1400x1050 resolution on only one DVI.

So tomorrow I will get 9600GT card to get full graphics support! Cheap and with CUDA! ;)

Thanks for help and guide! :) It is great! :)

deansterdean
12-29-2009, 02:27 AM
Hi,
I have 10.6.2 installed with the ES2L motherboard ver1

1. In 10.6.1 the screen saver would work but now it will goto sleep but never wakeup. Is there a fix for this?

2. I could not find a post for bios setting for this board. Is there a link someone could post

Thanks inadvance.

Jocelyn84
12-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Do you have everything checked under energy settings deansterdean?? I know I have a rev. 2 board, but I was having the same problems until I did this...

lflashl
12-29-2009, 05:45 AM
I think this is rev2.

same problem exists:

if you have rev 2 board you need another NIC, and also turn off the onboard NIC in the bios. I dont think you can install on that nic and that it will not work with snow leopard or leopard. If you can find the Rev 1.* board and you will be alot happer, you should have no issues with the onboard sound, just follow the steps. I think this HowTo was made for REV1.* boards and not Rev 2.* boards.

fritzbrause
12-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Hey Folks!

thanks and regards for this excellent guide!
My first "Hackmac" is a P45 System with the EFI-X Module, but after finding out, that the guys from EFI-X are just "closing" open source and trying to rip me of, i like to switch to the "pros" and install an chamleon Mac.

As i need more than one mac in my family, i bought components from the several HCL lists (see signature) and tried first time yesterday. The systems works great with a live linux system booted from DVD, but when starting from the preparated USB-HDD or an Empire-EFI-DVD, it only results after a few seconds in a "Memory Allocation Error 0x0 deadbeef". :(
I tried different memory moduls and even another graphics board with no success. Has anyone any suggestions??

regards

lflashl
12-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey there just a update on my Current System i have a Working Snow Leopard 10.6.2 system. No problems well maybe one, when i boot i get a blue screen, one person said it may be my permissons? anyway thanks for the guide, and if i can ill help out.

UPDATE: just notice i had no sound and had to reapply my dsdt.aml file, and run permission's. also Changed DVI ports on my video card and i dont get the blue screen @ login. So everything thing is working perfect!

lflashl
12-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey Folks!

thanks and regards for this excellent guide!
My first "Hackmac" is a P45 System with the EFI-X Module, but after finding out, that the guys from EFI-X are just "closing" open source and trying to rip me of, i like to switch to the "pros" and install an chamleon Mac.

As i need more than one mac in my family, i bought components from the several HCL lists (see signature) and tried first time yesterday. The systems works great with a live linux system booted from DVD, but when starting from the preparated USB-HDD or an Empire-EFI-DVD, it only results after a few seconds in a "Memory Allocation Error 0x0 deadbeef". :(
I tried different memory moduls and even another graphics board with no success. Has anyone any suggestions??

regards
i dont know too much, but what about the PATA drive you are using? maybe thats the problem, i have read somewhere that say you should a SATA one. but i and unsure about this. here are some google on the error msg

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t38681.html
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=126402&pid=919153&mode=threaded&show=&st=0

so it could be video card? or bios settings...

fritzbrause
12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey,

thanks for the tipps. unfortunately it didnt work. i stripped down the entire system (no HDD, no DVD, no GRA), tried every possible BIOS setting and even changed the memory modules. Nothing. Everytime when i try to boot i get this crappy error after a few seconds.
Please: Any other ideas?

regards!!!

lflashl
12-30-2009, 03:09 AM
this is how i did my system, install leopard with iatkos v7 / made USB Flash drive snow leopard / installed snow leopard as this guide tells you too. Maybe you should try a USB Flash drive? por just download iatkos v7 and install that. see what happens and then go from there. sorry im not sure on anything else.

fritzbrause
12-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Hey!

thanks for the great tips. Finally i got into a working bootloader with the brandnu Chameleon Release which i installed on a small USB-Stick .. just for testing purposes, but IT WORKS.
Unfortunatly Chameleon dont recognize my EIDE DVD ROM drive with the SL DVD, so i cant get it installed yet .. but i will try build a bigger USB with the installer directly on it ;-)
I keep you informed. Chameleon rockz ;-)
Need a beer now *fump* aaaah!

Ianxxx
01-01-2010, 05:16 PM
here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631&st=0&start=0

and here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192518&st=0&start=0

to start of, it's really a complex process but reading them over and over and asking question will help. Do note that i have speedstep working, wake from aluminum keyboard, shutdown and restart w/o Openhalt kext (or the likes)..

lot's of people help me including xopher, mm67, AudiSport, MC and many more :)

Good Luck and Merry X-Mass (2 more hours from where i'm from).

Is this with ga-m31-es2l ? If so could I have a look at your dsdt trying to write one for ga-m31-s2l with all fixes and having a few problems with sleep

drbee
01-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Does anybody have KP with sleepenabler in 64bit mode? It works fine in 32bit.

scott202
01-02-2010, 02:43 PM
It's my first post but I've been keeping an eye on this thread and I just wanted to say thanks for all your help guys!

My intention was to create a (student) budget OS X system with the ability to play 1080p movies via HDMI using Plex, and I have succeeded!

My specification are as follows:

GA-G31M-ES2L Rev 2.0
E5300 2.6 GHz Dual Core Processor
2GB RAM
Asus nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 512MB
Belkin Network Card (I bought two of these new, plus a network switch new online for £1)

In total, including the case, I paid just under £150 for this setup and that includes a 250GB SATA HDD. I am using external USB HDD's to hold my media :)

I followed this guide however I did not need to create an DSDT file to get anything to work. It was simply a case of installing myHack 1.0 with the recommended kexts.

In order to get the graphics card fully supported that was simply a case of adding an EFI string with osx86Tools. As for the sound, a VoodooHDA kext got that working for me, without even the need to reinstall!

So once again, just wanted to thank all you guys who have put in the hard work to enable me to do this so easily! :cool:

See you around on here soon!

UPDATE: I've just updated to 10.6.2 using the inbuilt software update, installed iWork, iLife and Office for Mac and it's running like a dream still! Thanks once again :)

fritzbrause
01-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey Folks!

i did it! Thanks to this great tutorial and your help i got it made!
SL runs like a charm. Onboard sound runs too!
The onboard network doesnt work out, i think its because of my rev. 2 board, but i got an old Realtek 8139 nic which is naturally supported by Mac OS X.
Unfortunatly my graphics only run with 800x600 even though i changed it to 1280x1024x32 in the boot.plist. If i try to change the resolution in System Prefrerences the monitor is getting blue and i cant get back .. only hardreset is possible then. Has this something to do with the dsdt.aml which i compiled or is this a case for the OSX86tools? Any tipps would be warmely welcome!

regards!

lflashl
01-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Hey Folks!

The onboard network doesnt work out, i think its because of my rev. 2 board, but i got an old Realtek 8139 nic which is naturally supported by Mac OS X.
Unfortunatly my graphics only run with 800x600 even though i changed it to 1280x1024x32 in the boot.plist. If i try to change the resolution in System Prefrerences the monitor is getting blue and i cant get back .. only hardreset is possible then. Has this something to do with the dsdt.aml which i compiled or is this a case for the OSX86tools? Any tipps would be warmely welcome!

regards!
if the monitor is going blu, try changing vga/dvi ports. i had this problem and changing ports fixed it, i think the monitor was being falsely recognised as a 2nd monitor.

fritzbrause
01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks again!

i simply switched over to the DVI Port of the Graka. than everything went right!
Great! I am so happy ;-)

Sileem
01-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Bleh, I can't get native powermanagment, either I KP on boot, or my screen goes black :/
Im just going to stick with nullcpu

Schwarzsaur
01-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Thank you for the very helpful guide. After 9 weeks of trying I got SL running on G31M-ES2L based hardware. Everything works. Audio, sleep, USB, graphics, Time Machine, DSDT.

fritzbrause
01-04-2010, 11:21 PM
HEy Folks,

me again .. the newbie ;-)
i read the hole thread but it couldnt figure it out.
The Problem: I installed 10.6.2 combo update and forget to change the sleepenabler.kext on my HDD before rebooting.
You know the result: Kernel Panic and no more sexy Snow Leopards.
I tried to boot from USB again to repair the broken boot on hdd, but this wasnt working either.
Is there a possibility to get into the Mac OSX again to change the sleep*.kext? Or do i need to re-install the whole bunch?
Many thanks again for this guide and the help!

regards

zim2dive
01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
HEy Folks,

me again .. the newbie ;-)
i read the hole thread but it couldnt figure it out.
The Problem: I installed 10.6.2 combo update and forget to change the sleepenabler.kext on my HDD before rebooting.
You know the result: Kernel Panic and no more sexy Snow Leopards.
I tried to boot from USB again to repair the broken boot on hdd, but this wasnt working either.
Is there a possibility to get into the Mac OSX again to change the sleep*.kext? Or do i need to re-install the whole bunch?
Many thanks again for this guide and the help!

regards

Could you not:
- boot the USB key to the SL installer (seems like that should work regardless of how badly you hosed the install)
- Launch Terminal from the Utilities(?) menu
- remove the old kext and put the new kext in place
- rebuild kext cache, etc

fritzbrause
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
That was the hint i needed!
Got it running again .. after fighting 30 minutes with the bash .... (which is slightly different than the one in Linux ;-)
You are the BEST!

lflashl
01-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Could you not:
- boot the USB key to the SL installer (seems like that should work regardless of how badly you hosed the install)
- Launch Terminal from the Utilities(?) menu
- remove the old kext and put the new kext in place
- rebuild kext cache, etc

yea do that happen to me and it works great, if you dont know how to install/remove a kext heres a link... im a newbie and still learning and this showed me.... install kext (http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/02/what-is-kextwhere-is-kext-how-to-install-kext/) i think there should be a update on this, to say not install the sleeper kext and to install the next 10.6.2 version, will save alot of time...

barrsurf
01-07-2010, 04:42 AM
I successfully installed with this method, but now after installing I am unable to log in. The first install it didn't recognize my keyboard after I entered a password, so this time I didn't enter a password. It just does the shaky thing when I try to log in. Any ideas?

Thanks

Still unable to log in. When I restart it runs the Welcome screen again, then setup. Setup goes fine until date/time page. I am unable to change either, also unable to click on the time zone map. I am sure I'm entering the correct username/password, I've simplified it to my name and the number 1 for password. When I get past the enjoy your mac page I get a keyboard assistant. The keyboard still works, so I've tried with setting it up and not. No difference. Does the install not complete until you log in the 1st time? SL is on an external drive, so I could move it to a Macbook if I need to fix the login file.

zim2dive
01-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Over the past week I did 2 things

a) replaced my Airport Extreme N router with a DLink router (I needed some QOS function and AEX does not have any)
b) added a SATA DVD drive

I can manually sleep the machine (from the Apple menu), but it no longer "falls asleep" on its own (via the timeout in Energy Saver)

Any ideas on what to check?

lflashl
01-07-2010, 05:49 AM

a) replaced my Airport Extreme N router with a DLink router (I needed some QOS function and AEX does not have any)

I can manually sleep the machine (from the Apple menu), but it no longer "falls asleep" on its own (via the timeout in Energy Saver)

have you updated the SleepEnabler.kext file for 10.6.2? other than that i have not tried on my machine cause its on 24/7...

kws
01-07-2010, 10:59 AM

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182535

zim2dive
01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
have you updated the SleepEnabler.kext file for 10.6.2? other than that i have not tried on my machine cause its on 24/7...

Yes, I was already at 10.6.2, and automatic sleep (as a consequence of the timer settings in Energy Saver) was working. I changed the DVD and router, that was all and now the machine is not going to sleep automatically.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182535

EDIT: I mis-read the explanation at that thread.. so that looks like it might help.. I'll give that a shot tonite. thanks!!

thanks,
Mike

zim2dive
01-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Delete: brain fart.

latinoguy
01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Theres is a method to reset password, i cant remeber at this moment, but google it you will find the answer.

I successfully installed with this method, but now after installing I am unable to log in. The first install it didn't recognize my keyboard after I entered a password, so this time I didn't enter a password. It just does the shaky thing when I try to log in. Any ideas?

Thanks

barrsurf
01-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Theres is a method to reset password, i cant remeber at this moment, but google it you will find the answer.

It seems to lose my login info between the Enjoy Your Mac screen and first login. The reset password tricks I have found assume you are in the OS to start with. I'm trying safe mode to see if I can get at least into terminal. Or I can get into terminal from the USB boot stick. Anyone know how to find login info from terminal?
I have a different Mobo than this guide, but the install went really well. It even awakes from sleep.

MSI X58M
i7 920
4gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC

lflashl
01-08-2010, 12:46 AM
It seems to lose my login info between the Enjoy Your Mac screen and first login. The reset password tricks I have found assume you are in the OS to start with. I'm trying safe mode to see if I can get at least into terminal. Or I can get into terminal from the USB boot stick. Anyone know how to find login info from terminal?
I have a different Mobo than this guide, but the install went really well. It even awakes from sleep.

MSI X58M
i7 920
4gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC

Hope this can help you

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/05/how-to-reset-the-administrator-account-password-in-mac-os-x/
http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/03/how-to-reset-your-mac-os-x-password-without-an-installer-disc/

barrsurf
01-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Hope this can help you

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/05/how-to-reset-the-administrator-account-password-in-mac-os-x/
http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/03/how-to-reset-your-mac-os-x-password-without-an-installer-disc/

Thanks for the links. When I go into reset password from the installer there is only a root admin, so it seems the setup is not finishing completely. I was wondering if you have to log in the first time to complete the setup. Also, I can't seem to boot into safe mode. At what point in the boot process should I hold apple/s? After Chameleon, before grey screen with My Hack logo? I've tried multiple places, but no luck. Every time I restart it just goes back to welcome screen. Welcome video looks nice, but I'm kind of sick of it!

I can boot into safe mode, but I still can't login. I can't boot into single user mode. I'm using an old macally keyboard that is slightly different than current layout. Maybe new keyboard tomorrow. Then re-install I guess.

lflashl
01-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the links. When I go into reset password from the installer there is only a root admin, so it seems the setup is not finishing completely. I was wondering if you have to log in the first time to complete the setup. Also, I can't seem to boot into safe mode. At what point in the boot process should I hold apple/s? After Chameleon, before grey screen with My Hack logo? I've tried multiple places, but no luck. Every time I restart it just goes back to welcome screen. Welcome video looks nice, but I'm kind of sick of it!

I can boot into safe mode, but I still can't login. I can't boot into single user mode. I'm using an old macally keyboard that is slightly different than current layout. Maybe new keyboard tomorrow. Then re-install I guess.

yea it sounds like it did not complete the first user account after a fresh install, sounds like you will need to create a new user account. To get into safe mode you need to type in -x [ENTER] and this will get you into safe mode.

barrsurf
01-08-2010, 10:41 PM
yea it sounds like it did not complete the first user account after a fresh install, sounds like you will need to create a new user account. To get into safe mode you need to type in -x [ENTER] and this will get you into safe mode.

Is there a way to create a user account from the install disk or terminal? I've re-installed and same problem. It's connecting to the internet fine during setup. I can access utilities from the install disk and most everything seems okay, at least as far as I know. I tried migration asst, but no luck.

Thanks

The disk osx is installed on is NOT owner enabled. Could this be the problem?

lflashl
01-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Is there a way to create a user account from the install disk or terminal? I've re-installed and same problem. It's connecting to the internet fine during setup. I can access utilities from the install disk and most everything seems okay, at least as far as I know. I tried migration asst, but no luck.

Thanks

The disk osx is installed on is NOT owner enabled. Could this be the problem?

try reading this. http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030603190314390

barrsurf
01-09-2010, 02:46 AM
try reading this. http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030603190314390

Thanks, looking at it now. You're a better googler than I am!
During setup I get Welcome video, choose language, choose keyboard layout, Migration page, How Do You Connect,Apple ID, Reg info, create your account, Try MobileMe, Select Time Zone (which I can't), Thank you page with Go button.
I push Go, screen goes dark then login page pops up with Keyboard Setup Assistant (says keyboard not identified). It doesn't matter if I setup keyboard or not, the keyboard works. Then I try to login, but my username is not in the box and I fail. Does everyone go to login from the thank you page. Seems weird to me and I don't remember doing it on Macs.
OK, time for some terminal work.

lflashl
01-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks, looking at it now. You're a better googler than I am!
During setup I get Welcome video, choose language, choose keyboard layout, Migration page, How Do You Connect,Apple ID, Reg info, create your account, Try MobileMe, Select Time Zone (which I can't), Thank you page with Go button.
I push Go, screen goes dark then login page pops up with Keyboard Setup Assistant (says keyboard not identified). It doesn't matter if I setup keyboard or not, the keyboard works. Then I try to login, but my username is not in the box and I fail. Does everyone go to login from the thank you page. Seems weird to me and I don't remember doing it on Macs.
OK, time for some terminal work.

why cant you select a time zone? After setup, my system logs in automatic. wht keyboard are you using?

barrsurf
01-09-2010, 04:05 PM
why cant you select a time zone? After setup, my system logs in automatic. wht keyboard are you using?

I can't click anywhere in the world map. If I'm online it goes past that page.
I'm using a Macally Mac keyboard. I bought a new one yesterday thinking that may be the problem. I may borrow an Imac keyboard today.
I thought it was strange to restart into the login page. And there are no users available at that page, so setup is not finishing. I tried to add the user in terminal, but I couldn't do it through the install drive, so I plugged it into my MBPro and added it there, but it didn't take. I was in the right drive, but the user was added to my MBPro. Osx is on a 60gb USB drive. I think Ownership enabled, mine is no, may be part of the problem. Otherwise I'm going to wipe the drives and start all over. Could the external drive be the problem?
So close, but yet so far.

zim2dive
01-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I can't find the wake on lan options in system preferences... according to

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

they should be on the Energy Save panel.. but I only see

Computer sleep (slidebar)
Display Sleep (slidebar)
Put hard disks to sleep when possible (checkbox)
Allow power button to put the computer to sleep (checkbox)
Start up automatically after a power failure (checkbox)

??

this is using the onboard NIC, rev 1 mobo.

barrsurf
01-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Finally a successful install, then KP on upgrade to 10.6.2. "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU...
Trying to track that one down.

dmoore764
01-10-2010, 04:34 AM
I copied the retail SL to USB as stated in the guide (I'm on 10.4), then used the myHack installer exactly as indicated. Now when I try to boot up the target machine (by setting the flash drive as default boot device - under Hard Disk Drive priority) I just get stuck right after "Verifying DMI Pool Data"....

Do I need to create the flash drive on OSX 10.5? What is the format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Has anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance.

barrsurf
01-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Finally a successful install, then KP on upgrade to 10.6.2. "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU...
Trying to track that one down.

Mostly working. Still get a KP sometimes on re-start, and still trouble with waking. Time machine didn't finish, so maybe trouble there. But looking pretty good right now.

Snow Leopard 10.6.2
MSI X58M
i7 920 @ 3.33Ghz
4 Gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC
60 Gb Ext. USB HDD

dmoore764
01-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I copied the retail SL to USB as stated in the guide (I'm on 10.4), then used the myHack installer exactly as indicated. Now when I try to boot up the target machine (by setting the flash drive as default boot device - under Hard Disk Drive priority) I just get stuck right after "Verifying DMI Pool Data"....

Do I need to create the flash drive on OSX 10.5? What is the format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Has anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance.

Ok, it took about 3 hours but I figured out my own problem. For whatever reason I had to replace the boot that the myHack program installed with PC_EFI v10.2.... (renamed to boot obviously, well, maybe not obviously to those like me who had no idea what they were doing).

Nomad347
01-10-2010, 01:27 PM
To all the people with the blue screen/black screen with mouse issue which magically disappears after you put the box to sleep. Just ad NVenabler64.kext to your extra folder, rebuild extensions.mkext reboot and pray it works. JUST NVidia people obviously!

credits to Fassl, Turbo, Krazubu -
http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=370&st=0&p=1170&

Hope it helps!

zim2dive
01-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I can't find the wake on lan options in system preferences... according to

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

they should be on the Energy Saver panel

An update. The Wake on Lan option still does not appear in my Energy Saver.. BUT the function appears to be working.

I was able to use 'Fusion WOL' on Windows, and the linux 'wakeonlan' utilities and my MAC addr to wake my machine up after putting it to sleep.

As long as the function works, I can live without the preference being there.

Now I'm off to figure out how to prevent the machine from sleeping when I'm connected to my iTunes lib via Firefly Media Server (server on osx86, client on linux)

barrsurf
01-10-2010, 05:38 PM
How do I boot into single user mode? I know the "command s" hold down, but where do I do it? I have been trying for about 3 days. I need to install new kexts and rebuild kext cache. I've tried at every point that seems logical to me. My install is the same as this thread.

Snow Leopard 10.6.2
MSI X58M
i7 920 @ 3.33 Ghz
4 Gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC

lflashl
01-10-2010, 11:29 PM
I can't click anywhere in the world map. If I'm online it goes past that page.
I'm using a Macally Mac keyboard. I bought a new one yesterday thinking that may be the problem. I may borrow an Imac keyboard today.
I thought it was strange to restart into the login page. And there are no users available at that page, so setup is not finishing. I tried to add the user in terminal, but I couldn't do it through the install drive, so I plugged it into my MBPro and added it there, but it didn't take. I was in the right drive, but the user was added to my MBPro. Osx is on a 60gb USB drive. I think Ownership enabled, mine is no, may be part of the problem. Otherwise I'm going to wipe the drives and start all over. Could the external drive be the problem?
So close, but yet so far.
it could be a External Drive issue? all my installs have been with internal HD's also check your BIOS settings. Look for USB keyboard/Mouse and make sure thats turn on.. nothing more i can think of.. sorry

EDIT: Just found this http://www.nerdlogger.com/2009/02/how-to-get-admin-rights-in-osx-leopard.html looks like there could something in there for you learn.. just remember to get into single user mode, when you are at your boot loader type in -s [enter].

lflashl
01-10-2010, 11:30 PM
How do I boot into single user mode? I know the "command s" hold down, but where do I do it? I have been trying for about 3 days. I need to install new kexts and rebuild kext cache. I've tried at every point that seems logical to me. My install is the same as this thread.

Snow Leopard 10.6.2
MSI X58M
i7 920 @ 3.33 Ghz
4 Gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC

when you see your boot loader type in -s [enter] this should get you instal single user mode...

barrsurf
01-11-2010, 12:10 AM
it could be a External Drive issue? all my installs have been with internal HD's also check your BIOS settings. Look for USB keyboard/Mouse and make sure thats turn on.. nothing more i can think of.. sorry

EDIT: Just found this http://www.nerdlogger.com/2009/02/how-to-get-admin-rights-in-osx-leopard.html looks like there could something in there for you learn.. just remember to get into single user mode, when you are at your boot loader type in -s [enter].

I got the install working on the external USB. I'd rather have it internal, but it's an old IDE 60Gb I had lying around in a box unopened. I wasn't sure if OSX would support IDE. I thought I'd use that for the system and my 500Gb SATA as a storage drive. I think the cause of my previous setup issue was possibly saving the OS Install dmg in the wrong mode.
Thanks for the single user mode instruction. I'll try it at next reboot. Was sitting idle for a couple of hours and woke from sleep nice as can be. And that's after 10.6.2 update and not rebuilding kext cache. A few bugs, i.e. no sound yet on ALC889, but getting there.

Thanks

Snow Leopard 10.6.2
MSI X58M
i7 920 @ 3.33 Ghz
BFG GTS 250 OC
4 gb DDR3

sapam
01-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Like posts #233 and #449, I've followed the guide to create the bootable USB stick, but mine won't boot. It hangs at "Verifying DMI pool data ...." (I have tried the fix described in #451, but that didn't work for me.)

I'm using a Rev 1.1 G31M-es2L with F8 BIOS. The other parts are described in my signature. The BIOS settings are essentially identical to the ones described in Weaksauce12's pdf that someone posted here. It is currently running 10.5.8 with only sleep problems (like everyone else), so I doubt BIOS is the problem.

I've also tried using the Adam Pash/stellarolla lifehacker method to install 10.6 Several people have reported that it works well with the G31M-ES2L board. But again, the USB stick I create using his process won't boot. It just gets stuck at the same "verifying DMI pool data" step.

This leads me to think that I'm missing something truly fundamental about creating the USB stick. I've been creating the Snow Leopard installer image from a retail DVD...then restoring it to the USB stick and running the scripts. When I'm done, the USB stick includes all the files that show up on the retail DVD plus "boot", extra folder, pfix, pfix.log and some shortcuts. Then I go to boot it using either F12 or by setting it up as the 1st boot drive. Either way it just hangs at the "verifying dmi pool data" step.

Any ideas?

barrsurf
01-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Like posts #233 and #449, I've followed the guide to create the bootable USB stick, but mine won't boot. It hangs at "Verifying DMI pool data ...." (I have tried the fix described in #451, but that didn't work for me.)

I'm using a Rev 1.1 G31M-es2L with F8 BIOS. The other parts are described in my signature. The BIOS settings are essentially identical to the ones described in Weaksauce12's pdf that someone posted here. It is currently running 10.5.8 with only sleep problems (like everyone else), so I doubt BIOS is the problem.

I've also tried using the Adam Pash/stellarolla lifehacker method to install 10.6 Several people have reported that it works well with the G31M-ES2L board. But again, the USB stick I create using his process won't boot. It just gets stuck at the same "verifying DMI pool data" step.

This leads me to think that I'm missing something truly fundamental about creating the USB stick. I've been creating the Snow Leopard installer image from a retail DVD...then restoring it to the USB stick and running the scripts. When I'm done, the USB stick includes all the files that show up on the retail DVD plus "boot", extra folder, pfix, pfix.log and some shortcuts. Then I go to boot it using either F12 or by setting it up as the 1st boot drive. Either way it just hangs at the "verifying dmi pool data" step.

Any ideas?

The first USB stick I had wouldn't boot. I tried it several times and no luck. I bought another brand of USB stick and no problem. Might be worth a try.

riadtania
01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi guys, I followed the instruction and dump all files into external hard drive which has HFS+ partition. I am trying to install into my sony vaio laptop. at the disk utility whle trying to install from external hard drive, it doesn't see the my laptop's interal hard drive. i have windows xp and HFS+ partition inside of my internal hard drive. does anyone know why?

riadtania
01-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Also, after installation, when I tried to boot. it says
boot0: testing
boot0:testing
boot0: error

I delete the source parition which had OS installation partition so that i can boot into secondardy partition where OS was installed. everyone i was booting my laptop, it was boot from installation partition rather than where OS was install.

A help would be really helpful. I am trying hard for last3 weeks to get this to install. It is not working. I used retail MAC OS X to dump image then ran the utility mention begining of this forum. thanks a log again.

zim2dive
01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi guys, I followed the instruction and dump all files into external hard drive which has HFS+ partition. I am trying to install into my sony vaio laptop. at the disk utility whle trying to install from external hard drive, it doesn't see the my laptop's interal hard drive. i have windows xp and HFS+ partition inside of my internal hard drive. does anyone know why?

This thread is for the G31M motherboard, not for a laptop.. you'll get better answers if you post your question in a more appropriate location.

lflashl
01-13-2010, 11:36 PM

Any ideas?

try taking out some memory and wirless NIC. i have read some people need to only have 2Gigs memory installed to install SL. Also do you have SATA DRIVES install and not IDE, i have heard that can cause problems. I have the same board and everything worked fine, what leopard system did you make the USB stick on?

lflashl
01-13-2010, 11:37 PM

might help if you told us what laptop you had! there are alot, if we know the model number then we could tell you the place where you need to go work out your problems!

sapam
01-14-2010, 03:56 AM
I have the same board and everything worked fine, what leopard system did you make the USB stick on?

Thanks barrsurf and lflashl. I tried a new USB stick, but that didn't seem to make a difference. But then lflashl's comment got me to look at the version of OSX on the borrowed laptop I was using to create the USB stick - 10.4.11!

I wouldn't have thought it mattered to use Tiger, but once I created the USB stick with my existing 10.5.8 hack install, it booted right up. (I used the lifehacker/stell script to fix the stick.) Miles to go before I'm totally done, but at least I got past the first hurdle. Thanks again.

riadtania
01-14-2010, 04:05 AM
Sorry guys. I am in the wrong threads. Actually, I tried so many solutions, i cannot even make it to work. This threads solution is the only thing that took me to install snow leopard successfully.

If you dont' mind, can you please direct me place where I can find some solution. I have VGN-BZ560 laptop. Google it a lot and couldn't find anybody who had success install Snow Leopard.

Again, when I tried to install SL from USB, it doesn't see my laptop internal HD and after installing into different partition from USB, i cannot boot from it. I get error message as:

error0:test
error0: failed.

Please help me to right place or solution that might work for my laptop. Really appreciate for your help and valuable time.

chubsterpete
01-14-2010, 05:02 PM
The 1st post says to The closest thing I see is the "Bonjour Fix/SnowR1000"..... but that doesn't seem to do the trick for me... I just ran it (after updating to 10.6.2)... it said to reboot, I did, and I still cannot see my Airport Extreme. (I also ran kext util and rebooted a 2nd time, just to be sure).

Any help?

edit: digging around, I see that SnowR1000 is supposed to installl RealtekR1000SL.kext in S/L/E.. when I looked, it was not there (even tho the installed appeared to have run successfully. I re-ran (then ran kext util just in case) and rebooted, and now its working.

Hello all,
Just checking back to this thread to update my install previously done with the old instructions using the hidden EFI partition. From what I've read, there's no pros or cons to either method other than one's preference on having the required files in the root of the drive or hidden. So I've made the required changes: generated my own DSDT and updated to 10.6.2 and all looks well.
Have the following questions though:
1. Bonjour fix - Like the quoted above, I also ran the SnowR1000 and it ran successfully but I don't see the kext in S/L/E. Have also copied it to S/L/E and dragged it to kext utility and rebuild extensions.mkext but I'm not sure if anything has changed or improved. I have a rev 1 board and ethernet worked out of the box. However, my samba shares are wonky in that I get intermittent disconnects when streaming media from the hackintosh. When this happens, my other devices will fail to connect to the samba shares. After some length of time, things work again.

2. Auto sleep doesn't work reliably. It seems to work right after startup but at some point stops working. Will try the script soon.

3. Speedstep - Would like to get this working as well but have not tried. Anyone successfully done this with a E5300?

Thanks

zim2dive
01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
2. Auto sleep doesn't work reliably. It seems to work right after startup but at some point stops working. Will try the script soon.

Per a hint I got, if I leave a disc in the drive, it will auto-sleep (wacky, but it works)

cgates30
01-16-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm trying to get through the guide (original post). I started with 10.5.7 installed on the G31M-ES2L. I made my usb stick and went through the steps listed in the OP. Press F12 in start up, select my usb drive, do the install. Then I restart, press f12, select the usb drive again, but it only gives me the option to select a drive to install to again. How do I enable the startup from SATA drive where I installed SL? Am I missing a step between the lines?

cgates30
01-17-2010, 01:38 AM
I'm booting into SL on the usb drive, but when I try to create the dsdt.dsl file I get some errors and no ASL file (only a log file). Any advice?

cgates30
01-17-2010, 02:28 AM
Used the .asl file and can boot from the SATA drive now, but not seeing the drive icon on the desktop. Can browse hdd by opening a finder window, but something must be broke.

Also, how do I change the start up theme?

zim2dive
01-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Used the .asl file and can boot from the SATA drive now, but not seeing the drive icon on the desktop. Can browse hdd by opening a finder window, but something must be broke.

Finder -> Preferences -> (what to show on Desktop)

cgates30
01-18-2010, 07:53 AM
thanks

So I went through the guide again and I'm still having problems.
1- waking from sleep reboots the computer
2- only audio is usb

infiniteThanks
01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
iztec, jetpr : I made every mistake as far as audio is concerned but now it is all good. Here is some stuff:
(a) Use the the DSDT update posted by brfransen,
(b) Update the extensions.mkext under /Extra. It may be that the LegacyALC883.kext is not being picked up. Look for a posting by me, infinitethanks, for a long way to do it and responses by smarter people to my posting for a short way to do it.
(b) Use option, system profiler to check the audio profile. If it is not available, you may not have set the audio to auto in bios.
(c) when everything is set correctly, my audio profile looks like the following:
Device ID: 0x1458A002
Audio ID: 883
Available Devices:
Speaker:
Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
Line Out:
Line Out:
Line Out:
Internal Microphone:
Connection: Internal
External Microphone:
Line In:
Headphone:
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection: RCA

My Bios version is F8
Thank you

alltoorobot
01-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Zim2dive How did you over clock your e5200? I have the same board and processor any chance you could do a walk short through?

sapam
01-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Hi folks,

I've been following the guide meticulously for the rig in my signature, but every time I patch my dsdt file and reboot, I get a black screen after the first boot banner. This happens whether I make my own (compiled without errors after removing the problematic quotation marks), or whether I use the dsdt file supplied in the kit. LAN is working fine, but sleep, video (8600gt 512mb) and sound are not. I've looked at some of the prior "Black screen" posts, but that problem seems unrelated.

Interestingly, this is exactly what happens when I try booting with -pci1, the boot modifier that the graphicsenabler says sometimes works for video cards that don't work out of the box.

any ideas?

riadtania
01-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks to all who made contribution to this forum thread. I managed to install this into my SONY VAIO BZ560 laptop with GUID partition. My goal is to make dual OS. I coped OSinstall.mpkg file into the system library locaation where it suppose to be store for installation, but it failed. I also tried it with retail DVD from Apple, but it failed. of course, i think it was developed for GUID partition table, not MBR.

Does anyone have any suggestion? This thread is the most successful I ever came up this far. Please help me this. I am almost there. Thanks again to everyone.

hmook
01-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Hi I have a problem booting in to my new OSX10.6 installation. The installation is done with the MyHack method.

When I boot with my installation USBdrive still in my computer there is no problem. I can boot in to the bootloader and select my harddrive where I've installed OSX10.6.

When I take out my USBdrive to boot normally it gives me this error message:

Verifying DMI Pool Data

>62970080
<00000002
000000C1
*<00064028
J_

The underscoure after the 'J' is blinking but I can't type anything. Neither can I press 'enter' or any other button.

Could anyone help me getting my hackintosh booting without the use of my USBpendrive?

lflashl
01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks to all who made contribution to this forum thread. I managed to install this into my SONY VAIO BZ560 laptop with GUID partition. My goal is to make dual OS. I coped OSinstall.mpkg file into the system library locaation where it suppose to be store for installation, but it failed. I also tried it with retail DVD from Apple, but it failed. of course, i think it was developed for GUID partition table, not MBR.

Does anyone have any suggestion? This thread is the most successful I ever came up this far. Please help me this. I am almost there. Thanks again to everyone.

YEs please move to another thread! this is not for SONY VAIO BZ560. Its for G31M-ES2L Motherboard.

lflashl
01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi folks,

I've been following the guide meticulously for the rig in my signature, but every time I patch my dsdt file and reboot, I get a black screen after the first boot banner. This happens whether I make my own (compiled without errors after removing the problematic quotation marks), or whether I use the dsdt file supplied in the kit. LAN is working fine, but sleep, video (8600gt 512mb) and sound are not. I've looked at some of the prior "Black screen" posts, but that problem seems unrelated.

Interestingly, this is exactly what happens when I try booting with -pci1, the boot modifier that the graphicsenabler says sometimes works for video cards that don't work out of the box.

any ideas?
I just used the one the came in the zip package, and it works fine, i had issues also trying to make my own dsdt file, and ended up just using the one that came with the zip package. After doing so, everything works fine, so i can use it, and see what happens.

lflashl
01-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi I have a problem booting in to my new OSX10.6 installation. The installation is done with the MyHack method.

When I boot with my installation USBdrive still in my computer there is no problem. I can boot in to the bootloader and select my harddrive where I've installed OSX10.6.

When I take out my USBdrive to boot normally it gives me this error message:

Verifying DMI Pool Data

>62970080
<00000002
000000C1
*<00064028
J_

The underscoure after the 'J' is blinking but I can't type anything. Neither can I press 'enter' or any other button.

Could anyone help me getting my hackintosh booting without the use of my USBpendrive?

Sound like you have not ran the myhack install after you installed Snow Leopard. Try reinstalling the myHack again. so boot into your snow leopard and run myHack install. The myHack will install the boot loader you need to not need the USB key everytime you want to run Snow Leopard.

lflashl
01-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Sorry guys. I am in the wrong threads. Actually, I tried so many solutions, i cannot even make it to work. This threads solution is the only thing that took me to install snow leopard successfully.

If you dont' mind, can you please direct me place where I can find some solution. I have VGN-BZ560 laptop. Google it a lot and couldn't find anybody who had success install Snow Leopard.

Again, when I tried to install SL from USB, it doesn't see my laptop internal HD and after installing into different partition from USB, i cannot boot from it. I get error message as:

error0: failed.

Please help me to right place or solution that might work for my laptop. Really appreciate for your help and valuable time.

This thread is for the G31M motherboard, not for a laptop.. you'll get better answers if you post your question in a more appropriate location.

hmook
01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Sound like you have not ran the myhack install after you installed Snow Leopard. Try reinstalling the myHack again. so boot into your snow leopard and run myHack install. The myHack will install the boot loader you need to not need the USB key everytime you want to run Snow Leopard.

Thanks for the reaction, I've already tried to install MyHack again but it won't work.

zim2dive
01-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Zim2dive How did you over clock your e5200? I have the same board and processor any chance you could do a walk short through?

see post #402: http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-retail-snow-leopard-dvd-install-for-g31m-t3672/post41881.html

I can try to answer other questions, but as I said there.. this was my 1st OC, so I was just re-using instructions someone else gave me.. but it did seem to work.

EDIT: and has been running stable ever since, tho its in sleep 95% of the day.

hmook
01-20-2010, 03:15 PM

My Problem solved.

I've installed a early version of chameleon boot loader. After that I've done a reboot with the USBdrive. Then again install de MyHack on you MacOSX Harddrive and it's done!

zim2dive
01-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Installed the Bonjour update 2010-001, Security Update, Remote Desktop update, and Xcode update.

So far so good. Rebooted just fine. Internet still works.

dencraig
01-22-2010, 04:53 AM
I have a G41M-ESL2. I've been trying for awhile to get it to boot into SL. I completed the entire process of restoring my SL Retail Disk to my 8GB USB stick and ran the routines, edited the plist file, etc. I put the thumbstick in my gigabyte machine but the BIOS only has a USB HD option. Since the thumbstick is sort of one of those, I tried it. It did not boot from it. I then burned the 8gig thumbstick to an 8G DVD, thinking that might be a good way to get it to boot: no luck (does not boot computer). I compared the two (disk and thumbdrive) and they look the same to me in my Wind PC Hackintosh... any suggestoins? Thanks.

zim2dive
01-22-2010, 04:57 AM
I have a G41M-ESL2. I've been trying for awhile to get it to boot into SL. I completed the entire process of restoring my SL Retail Disk to my 8GB USB stick and ran the routines, edited the plist file, etc. I put the thumbstick in my gigabyte machine but the BIOS only has a USB HD option. Since the thumbstick is sort of one of those, I tried it. It did not boot from it. I then burned the 8gig thumbstick to an 8G DVD, thinking that might be a good way to get it to boot: no luck (does not boot computer). I compared the two (disk and thumbdrive) and they look the same to me in my Wind PC Hackintosh... any suggestoins? Thanks.

Not trying to be a @$$ but...

a) buy a g31M
b) find (or start) a thread about G41M

I mean really.. when I bought I was looking at the G41M, its a nice card... but.... I stuck with the G31 specifically for this reason.

dencraig
01-22-2010, 05:17 AM
I followed a thread on Insanely Mac that indicated that this process works perfectly also for the G4 model. Maybe not. Thanks anyway.

lflashl
01-22-2010, 10:16 AM

fir the G3 board, press f12 @ boot then select HD and there USB flash drive is in there, you could try this!

ayame
01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi guys,

thanks for this very good Thread. I user my Hack since 3 months, all is going perfectly. I assembled many hacks, and this hack is going the best way of all ! THANKS !

But one question is left. I have the problem, that i can't shutdown the hack. Sleep is going well, but restart and shutdown isn't going. It hanks at the blue background where this circle rotates :)

Does anyone knows if this is normal ?

macdaddy247
01-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Hi All,

Would really appreciate some help.

I followed the above install, and it has gone pretty well, apart from the sound, which I'm going to tackle later.

Anyway, more importantly is the ethernet. I am using a small case and am limited with PCI slots (so no space for wifi card).

I was aware that the onboard ethernet wouldn't work (or so I have read). So bought a startech st100slp ethernet card.

It shows up as working on the system, but when I go to network, there is a red light next to it.
Anyone know how to get it working for the internet?

Thanks in advance!

zim2dive
01-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Anyway, more importantly is the ethernet. I am using a small case and am limited with PCI slots (so no space for wifi card).

I was aware that the onboard ethernet wouldn't work (or so I have read). So bought a startech st100slp ethernet card.

You didn't explicitly say.. you have a rev 2 mobo? (rev 1 NIC works)

macdaddy247
01-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi,

Yes, sorry it's rev 2.
The onboard ethernet is completely dead and not recognised by SL.
So I added the card, and everything started off fine -SL picked up the ethernet card in "about this mac.

But, when I try to connect to the net, it tells me that there is some sort of problem with the connection. The ethernet has a red light next to it (as opposed to green) and it's not listed in networks, so I can tweak its settings.
Is there a driver that I need? Couldn't find one for a startech card.p

thanks!

dencraig
01-23-2010, 03:19 PM
fir the G3 board, press f12 @ boot then select HD and there USB flash drive is in there, you could try this!

matthewordie
01-23-2010, 07:31 PM
I followed the instructions for creating the USB Bootable drive. When I turn on my computer and hit F12 for boot menu... I use USB-FDD and USB-HDD. I've tried both, but neither works. It just sits there and says:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.....

Did I do something wrong when I created my USB Drive? Everything seemed to go smoothly on the mac side.

GigaMac
01-24-2010, 02:01 PM
matthewordie
Did you use a MacOX 10.4 to create the USB boot disk? I saw someone posted similar problem due to using a Tiger instead of Leopard (or SL) to create the boot disk.

cgates30
01-24-2010, 08:27 PM
I did the 10.6.2 combo update from a fresh install. Removed the old sleepenabler and installed the new one before rebooting. Everything seems to work well except I get a message that my external hdd wasn't properly ejected when I wake the computer up. Is there a fix for this?

matthewordie
01-24-2010, 11:30 PM
I used Leopard. 10.5.8 I believe.

yogi446
01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
"message that my external hdd wasn't properly ejected when I wake the computer up. Is there a fix for this?"

Yes, you need to edit your DSDT, many fixes posted on various forums. Do some googling.

sk1nhd33t
01-26-2010, 08:01 PM
I did the 10.6.2 combo update from a fresh install. Removed the old sleepenabler and installed the new one before rebooting. Everything seems to work well except I get a message that my external hdd wasn't properly ejected when I wake the computer up. Is there a fix for this?

try using this dsdt or copy/compare to yours. (attached):

note that this dsdt includes mm67 shutdown/USB/Aluminum keyboard fix and best partnered w/ RC4/PC EFI restart fix by asere , cparm, duvel or rekursor (take your pick)..also remove restart/shutdown kext like openhalt or evereboot.

all devices are intact here and no speedstep included.

Souzounaki
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
I cant seem to boot with this method?
I have made the usb numerous times as in the guide.
I even tried booting -v -f.
I get the SL My Hack start up & then just as the apple logo comes on for a split second my Computer resets.
I can install with iDeneb dvd Kalayway etc...
I even tried boot 132, rebel efi, empire efi and all keep rebooting my pc.
I noticed when booting with empire efi I got the following message before reboot. acpi table not found: dsdt.aml
I am using a g31m-s2l with a sata hd & sata dvd. 8500gt graohics.

dencraig
01-27-2010, 04:59 AM
I did the upgrade to 10.6.2, but now I don't have a desktop or screen: all blue. I can boot in safe mode using -x, but not in normal mode. The only thing I did to do the upgrade was to remove the sleepenable kext, reboot, then upgrade: but now no worky. Any ideas?

UPDATE: It works using a DVI (Digital) Video output instead of a regular VGA (Analog) video output... weird? I may do a complete reinstall to make sure I didn't muck it up by accident and cause these problems...

vincentmoo
01-28-2010, 02:39 AM
Hi , i am using G31M-ES2L Rev 2 motherboard to install , i am using IPC PPF5 10.5.6 iso to install, because i always hang at somewhere using retail snow leopard installer.
i am using nullcpupowermanagement , openhaltrestart, sleepenabler , it just do't restart/ shutdown. When i click restart , everythings turn off except the cpu light and fan, it don't restart /shutdown. Anyone have idea on how to fix the shutdown/restart issue for G31M-ES2L Rev 2 board ? Please.......

lflashl
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
I did the upgrade to 10.6.2, but now I don't have a desktop or screen: all blue. I can boot in safe mode using -x, but not in normal mode. The only thing I did to do the upgrade was to remove the sleepenable kext, reboot, then upgrade: but now no worky. Any ideas?

UPDATE: It works using a DVI (Digital) Video output instead of a regular VGA (Analog) video output... weird? I may do a complete reinstall to make sure I didn't muck it up by accident and cause these problems...

no this is normal, i had the same problem and it turned out that i had to change DVI ports on my video card, i think its something like it thinks that you have a second monitor and its not turned on. If you press command+shift+q, this will log you out.

lflashl
01-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi , i am using G31M-ES2L Rev 2 motherboard to install , i am using IPC PPF5 10.5.6 iso to install, because i always hang at somewhere using retail snow leopard installer.
i am using nullcpupowermanagement , openhaltrestart, sleepenabler , it just do't restart/ shutdown. When i click restart , everythings turn off except the cpu light and fan, it don't restart /shutdown. Anyone have idea on how to fix the shutdown/restart issue for G31M-ES2L Rev 2 board ? Please.......

Sorry have you tried to use this way of installing Snow Leopard, what errors happen when you tried installing Snow Leopard.

lflashl
01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I cant seem to boot with this method?
I have made the usb numerous times as in the guide.
I even tried booting -v -f.
I get the SL My Hack start up & then just as the apple logo comes on for a split second my Computer resets.
I can install with iDeneb dvd Kalayway etc...
I even tried boot 132, rebel efi, empire efi and all keep rebooting my pc.
I noticed when booting with empire efi I got the following message before reboot. acpi table not found: dsdt.aml
I am using a g31m-s2l with a sata hd & sata dvd. 8500gt graohics.

are you using G31M-S2L, or G31M-ES2L cause there is no help for the G31M-S2L here (on this post) only the G31M-ES2L...

lflashl
01-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi All,

Would really appreciate some help.

I followed the above install, and it has gone pretty well, apart from the sound, which I'm going to tackle later.

It shows up as working on the system, but when I go to network, there is a red light next to it.
Anyone know how to get it working for the internet?

Thanks in advance!

I dont think this card is support in osx86, best to find one that works out of the box, i did for my wireless N" card, installed and worked straight away!

lflashl
01-28-2010, 11:47 AM
I followed the instructions for creating the USB Bootable drive. When I turn on my computer and hit F12 for boot menu... I use USB-FDD and USB-HDD. I've tried both, but neither works. It just sits there and says:

Did I do something wrong when I created my USB Drive? Everything seemed to go smoothly on the mac side.

yea you did the correct thing, you need to go into Hard Drive section, its listed under there!

dencraig
01-28-2010, 02:44 PM
no this is normal, i had the same problem and it turned out that i had to change DVI ports on my video card, i think its something like it thinks that you have a second monitor and its not turned on. If you press command+shift+q, this will log you out.
"press command+shift+q" to log out of the "second monitor"?

vincentmoo
01-29-2010, 02:54 AM
I am here to share my success . First of all , thanks to sk1nhd33t and flux84
Yesterday i decided to reinstall the whole things because i couldn't shutdown/restart.
I follow every step except dsdt and audio fixed because i couldnn't find "DTGP" in dsdtfix and azalia,may be is because i am using rev 2 board , then i decided to use flux84 dsdt.aml and HDA.kext. After restart everythings work like a charm. sound , shutdown/restart , Graphic , all working! Although it doesn't show QE/CI enabled , but i can watch movie , run sceensaver ,and dashboard with effect . The audio is abit low quality also if compare with windows 7 . Finally the easiest part is LAN , i bought a apple ethernet controller and it work OOB , but the driver need to modify a bit for windows 7 64 bit. Once again , thanks to sk1nhd33t and flux84 :D

My Built :
Intel Q9505 Processor
Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Rev2.0
Manli 9800GTX+ 512mb
4GB dual channel DDR RAM
Apple USB Ethernet Controller

marc
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM

you ever resolve this???

i am having the same issue
i was able to boot the first time and do the install, but now it won't boot again from the usb

any advice

albguy
01-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi everyone. From what I understand from this thread, the onboard ethernet card for version 2.0 of this board will not work, no matter what bios version there is?

Just asking to see if anyone solved it in any particular way before I go and buy a pci/usb device that will work.

Thank you in advance.

bgreen
01-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi

And thanks for the great guide.

I followed the guide easily until i got to the part of the guide DSDT quick guide:

Then i am not sure quite what happened. I would suggest if its possible that some more clarification could go into this part of the guide... everything else is great. I had difficulty locating the example files for comparison and also on the editing everything was going fine till i tried to find the file Azalia.... i could not locate.

Result:

I have a self booting Snow Leopard with the following problems that i am trying to sort... any help would be great.

No Sound
No Ethernet
Dont think sleep is working either
DVD will read data, music and copy files etc... however will not play DVD movies.

At start up i also get following errors:

Post error occurs.... it gives me options of last boots. If i do nothing it defaults to the last good boot and its fine.

Then i get an icon of Snow Leopard disk with message.... press any key to choose start up ... if i do nothing it starts automatically and is fine.

Sometimes the CPU speed shows at 2.4 and sometimes 2.8. It is a 2.8 CPU.

Despite all this i have managed to load Photoshop CS3 and it works. The system once up and running appears stable.

So any suggestions would be great....... is it possible to tweak this to get everything working or best to try a clean reinstall.

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
intel core 2 Duo 6700 2.8
ASUS 8400GS 512M DDR2 Graphics card
SATA DVD writer
2gb Ram
1 TB SATA Hard Drive

Thanks.... Bruce learning lots..... need to learn more.........having fun!

bgreen
01-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I am here to share my success . First of all , thanks to sk1nhd33t and flux84
Yesterday i decided to reinstall the whole things because i couldn't shutdown/restart.
I follow every step except dsdt and audio fixed because i couldnn't find "DTGP" in dsdtfix and azalia,may be is because i am using rev 2 board , then i decided to use flux84 dsdt.aml and HDA.kext. After restart everythings work like a charm. sound , shutdown/restart , Graphic , all working! Although it doesn't show QE/CI enabled , but i can watch movie , run sceensaver ,and dashboard with effect . The audio is abit low quality also if compare with windows 7 . Finally the easiest part is LAN , i bought a apple ethernet controller and it work OOB , but the driver need to modify a bit for windows 7 64 bit. Once again , thanks to sk1nhd33t and flux84 :D

My Built :
Intel Q9505 Processor
Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Rev2.0
Manli 9800GTX+ 512mb
4GB dual channel DDR RAM
Apple USB Ethernet Controller

Hi could you explain how you did this. This seems to be where my build has run into problems. Thanks very much cheers Bruce

albguy
01-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi

And thanks for the great guide.

I followed the guide easily until i got to the part of the guide DSDT quick guide:

Then i am not sure quite what happened. I would suggest if its possible that some more clarification could go into this part of the guide... everything else is great. I had difficulty locating the example files for comparison and also on the editing everything was going fine till i tried to find the file Azalia.... i could not locate.

Result:

I have a self booting Snow Leopard with the following problems that i am trying to sort... any help would be great.

No Sound
No Ethernet
Dont think sleep is working either
DVD will read data, music and copy files etc... however will not play DVD movies.

At start up i also get following errors:

Post error occurs.... it gives me options of last boots. If i do nothing it defaults to the last good boot and its fine.

Then i get an icon of Snow Leopard disk with message.... press any key to choose start up ... if i do nothing it starts automatically and is fine.

Sometimes the CPU speed shows at 2.4 and sometimes 2.8. It is a 2.8 CPU.

Despite all this i have managed to load Photoshop CS3 and it works. The system once up and running appears stable.

So any suggestions would be great....... is it possible to tweak this to get everything working or best to try a clean reinstall.

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
SATA DVD writer
2gb Ram
1 TB SATA Hard Drive

Thanks.... Bruce learning lots..... need to learn more.........having fun!

I have almost identical system with yours, other than the Video Card. I am experiencing the same issues as you. I was able to get a USB wireless card to work, but still no sound. Have reinstalled many times and also tried replacing the legacyalc883 kext, but with no avail. I just finished an install via Empire EFI and retail 10.6 disk, and if i manage to get it working ill post again. I have a Version 2 board btw

-Edit: Audio worked out of the box with this setup.

1. Download and burn Empire Efi on a cd
2. Buy/download(burn) 10.6 on a DVD
3. Start computer, Enter Bios: Change
a. disable onboard Nic
b. Enable Azalia
c. Sata : Enhanced
d. priority boot : 1 cdroom (for the efi) 2. hard drive
e. Save and exit bios.
4. put in the Empire Efi CD on the drive
5. after it loads, replace the empire efi cd with the SL 10.6 disk
6. Press f5, let instalation continue
7. after instalation, let the pc reboot, change the disk again, puting in the EFI disk
8. Download and install the latest version of myhack, RC5 r87 (dont forget to be nice to Conti)
9. Install myhack, and i simply changed the com.apple.boot.plist to reflect your resolution
10. restart computer, Audio worked right away. Under extensions, voodooHDA.kext is listed. It was the last option on the install of myhack software.

-Still to do:
1. Done! gonna try to install the USB wireless card again : Edit- Wireless card is Azio Model No. AWU254. Although supposedly unsuported for 10.6, using the 10.5 .dmg file from their site it works after install and fix permission via terminal ->type 'sudo' and drag/drop pfix.
2. DONE! Gonna try to update to 10.6.2 : Edit- after the install is completed, it boots into 10.6.2, but audio and wireless was not working. Changed permission via terminal ->type 'sudo' and drag/drop pfix and it worked fine..

bgreen
01-31-2010, 01:27 AM
Hi

Thanks for the quick response... my mobo is also ver 2. That looks a very straight forward process. Any parts of the process that are not soo easy?

So you are suggesting i completely start from the beginning again? Also where do i locate Empire EFI? I have full retail version of SL.

Thanks again Albguy
Cheers Bruce

bgreen
01-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi

Does this need to be a complete install? I have burned EmpireEFI_V108.iso to a CD, but can not get it to load even with above instructions. While boot via optical drive shows briefly it then goes to default drive and loads Mac OS.

I can not find disable onboard Nic on my BIOS. Any pointers would be great.

Thanks again

lflashl
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone. From what I understand from this thread, the onboard ethernet card for version 2.0 of this board will not work, no matter what bios version there is?

Just asking to see if anyone solved it in any particular way before I go and buy a pci/usb device that will work.

Thank you in advance.

nope you need to buy a new one, even better look for secondhand, got one on ebay for like 5$ and it works out of the box! no need to do anything, just look up the HCL and you will be fine!

Methanoid
01-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi Guys,

I just wanna report & share that I had successfully installed above said. :D

SL 10.6.1 on GUID partition on Hd2
SL 10.6.1 on MBR partition on Hd1

So basically makes no different if you use the OP method whether GPT or MBR formatted HDD?

I also understand the G41M-ES2L works fine with this guide and only needs the audio bit changing as its ALC888B (aka ALC887) (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182655)
Maybe the OP could edit the first post, add the audio and then his guide covers Gigabytes replacement board for the G31M-ES2L!!!

Promo
01-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Installed the Bonjour update 2010-001, Security Update, Remote Desktop update, and Xcode update.

So far so good. Rebooted just fine. Internet still works.

I have almost the same hardware as you...would you mind sharing your DSDT?

hirefrank
02-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Much thanks to everyone on this thread for the detailed response and experience. I am proud to say my Hackintosh is up and running minus a few (relatively small) issues.

1. pfix v2.3 crashes whenever I run it. Here is the screen: http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3807/20100201085704.jpg (Oddly enough, Kext Utility runs without a problem.) Any clue why it crashes and does it matter?

2. Whenever I try and clone my harddrive using Super Duper! or Carbon Copy Cloner I get these kernel panics: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3016/20100131212740.jpg
According to the logs rsync crashes in both cases. Any clue why or how to resolve? I've also noticed this occasionally when transferring large files from usb flash drives. (Even if I disabled Spotlight this happens.)

3. Do the audio ports on the back of the G31-ES2L motherboard work for anyone else? Only the ones in the front work for me.

Specs:
• 10.6.2 - retail
• Gigabyte G31M-ES2L rev 2
• Intel Pentium E6300, 2.8ghz
• SATA, WD 500GB
• SATA DVD
• ASUS EN9400GT
• 4GB DDR2 Memory

Thanks in advance!

-Frank

zim2dive
02-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I have almost the same hardware as you...would you mind sharing your DSDT?

Odd.. I thought I replied already (see no reason for this to get moderated out??)

I used the same DSDT as in the ES2L kit in post #1. I figured I'd try it and given the discussion on how to edit, it might not work.. but it did (so far as I can tell), so I left well enough alone.

albguy
02-03-2010, 02:49 AM
when loading, it asks you to click any key on your keyboard to boot from cd... then there will be a 10-20 second delay, before a menu type thing appears on the screen.. you can not even get to that point?

Hi

Does this need to be a complete install? I have burned EmpireEFI_V108.iso to a CD, but can not get it to load even with above instructions. While boot via optical drive shows briefly it then goes to default drive and loads Mac OS.

Thanks again

flukes1
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Sleep is causing my machine to shutdown with this board. Can't figure it out.

Kexts: FakeSMC, LegacyALC883, NullCPUPowerManagement, SleepEnabler, EvOreboot
Using the DSDT included in zip, in the first post.

bgreen
02-04-2010, 02:14 AM
when loading, it asks you to click any key on your keyboard to boot from cd... then there will be a 10-20 second delay, before a menu type thing appears on the screen.. you can not even get to that point?

Hi

No, i am not sure what has happened... however just had a majour system crash after all was looking good, had got LAN going via cheap add in board, had got rid of BIOS errors.

But no do not get any options... do i just download the files at the link you posted directly or do i have to select certain ones? If you could advise.

Cheers Bruce

montyboy
02-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone knew the proper BIOS settings to get this guide to work. I'm running Rev 2. and get kernel panics(ACPI) during boot. Another thing that is concerning me is that my dvd burner is IDE - could this cause issues in the future?

Methanoid
02-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Its a huge thread to trawl thru and the 1st post does seem kept quite current but I'll ask anyway

Are there are particular BIOS settings to ensure it works? Can IDE be on or off? HPET on or off? Do I need AHCI enabled or not?

Methanoid
02-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone knew the proper BIOS settings to get this guide to work. I'm running Rev 2. and get kernel panics(ACPI) during boot. Another thing that is concerning me is that my dvd burner is IDE - could this cause issues in the future?

Rev2 has Atheros LAN so I'd be VERY surprised if it works at all with this guide AFAIK. Rev1 works as it has Realtek LAN. You could disable your LAN in BIOS and pop a Realtek LAN card in a PCI slot if you want though? That should work!

Or just disable your LAN and see if it KPs still?

Funny I posted a few mins ago and then noticed your request for BIOS settings. I think we need a little more clarity there!

montyboy
02-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Rev2 has Atheros LAN so I'd be VERY surprised if it works at all with this guide AFAIK. Rev1 works as it has Realtek LAN. You could disable your LAN in BIOS and pop a Realtek LAN card in a PCI slot if you want though? That should work!

Or just disable your LAN and see if it KPs still?

Funny I posted a few mins ago and then noticed your request for BIOS settings. I think we need a little more clarity there!

****<UPDATE>****
All is working now except for onboard LAN ((to be expected as i'm rev 2)). The answer was following this guide but using the updated myHack installer (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2010/02/myhack-installer-1-0-rc5-1-released/) and ALC883 kexts from kexts.com (http://www.kexts.com/view/185-alc883_snow_leopard.html). - - - now to start researching that mouse and video lag :)
****</UPDATE>****

Thanks for the reply - all is well now except for sound. I've done the DSDT fixes listed in this guide AND tried the ones from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182655 with no success. I have the legacy ALC883 kext , I've rebuilt the kexts with Kext Util etc. There has to be something I'm missing ... something tiny!

bgreen
02-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Hi Cheetah

When i try to boot following your instructions with Empire, after boot i get verifying DMI pool data........
Boot from CD/DVD :

\with flashing cursor. As though awaiting input but no response to any key stokes. No input appears possible. Any thoughts?

Cheers Bruce

lflashl
02-06-2010, 05:50 AM

i have read other people have issues with IDE devices best to stick to SATA drives. but with the bios settings, i think that the defaut will work.

montyboy
02-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Hi Cheetah

When i try to boot following your instructions with Empire, after boot i get verifying DMI pool data........
Boot from CD/DVD :

\with flashing cursor. As though awaiting input but no response to any key stokes. No input appears possible. Any thoughts?

Cheers Bruce

Bruce - do you have any additional storage/drives attached? What are your BIOS settings for boot order?

bgreen
02-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Bruce - do you have any additional storage/drives attached? What are your BIOS settings for boot order?

Hi

Thanks for the reply. No additional storage devices attached. Boot order is:

First boot device CDROM
Second device Hard Disk
Third Disabled

Cheers Bruce

Methanoid
02-13-2010, 10:14 PM
This is a VERY long thread and perhaps I have missed it in the 15 pages I've read but....

How do I safely update to 10.6.2 from 10.6? I managed to install 10.6 ok but my card was in VESA as I have a Radeon 4670. So I tried the beta booter from Netkas but missed that I needed some kext from 10.6.2 so it didnt work. Then updated to 10.6.2 to get kext and I get KP as SleepEnabler isnt compatible.

I know the OP won't be happy to hear this suggestion but could the 1st post be updated? Ive seen suggestions that we install R1000.kext for some people and we have new MyHack out now and new PC-EFI so the pack could do with an update. I also see that 10.6.2 has a new SleepEnabler kext and default DSDT.

It would be VERY helpful if the guide took us from empty disk to 10.6.2.

EDIT: OK reinstalled and then updated to 10.6.2 with correct SleepEnabler and with onboard VGA. Seems OK. But if I try to put my HD4670 in the machine and replace the boot file with the one from Netkas (http://netkas.org/?p=372) and Pfix'd. But the machine always loads part way and then the screen dies but it continues loading.

Any ideas? It seems its all related to the ffricking 4670 (and I have a 4870 on way for machine #2 so i need to sort these!)

Hopefully then I can just add my 4670 by replacing the "boot" file and repairing permissions!

zim2dive
02-14-2010, 03:11 PM
This is a VERY long thread and perhaps I have missed it in the 15 pages I've read but....

How do I safely update to 10.6.2 from 10.6? I managed to install 10.6 ok but my card was in VESA as I have a Radeon 4670. So I tried the beta booter from Netkas but missed that I needed some kext from 10.6.2 so it didnt work. Then updated to 10.6.2 to get kext and I get KP as SleepEnabler isnt compatible.

I know the OP won't be happy to hear this suggestion but could the 1st post be updated? Ive seen suggestions that we install R1000.kext for some people and we have new MyHack out now and new PC-EFI so the pack could do with an update. I also see that 10.6.2 has a new SleepEnabler kext and default DSDT.

EDIT: OK reinstalled and then updated to 10.6.2 with correct SleepEnabler and with onboard VGA. Seems OK. But if I try to put my HD4670 in the machine and replace the boot file with the one from Netkas (http://netkas.org/?p=372) and Pfix'd. But the machine always loads part way and then the screen dies but it continues loading.

Any ideas? It seems its all related to the ffricking 4670 (and I have a 4870 on way for machine #2 so i need to sort these!)

Hopefully then I can just add my 4670 by replacing the "boot" file and repairing permissions!

Its sounds like your issue may be more ATI specific than mobo at this point... dunno if there is a good ATI thread where you might find some info.. I stick to nvidia for osx86 and for linux b/c the drivers are better supported (its got nothing to do with ati vs. nv, just a matter of practicality)

lflashl
02-17-2010, 06:43 AM

My understanding is the Nvidia Card are alot easy to install than ATi... there is support for Ati, buy it may take more time!

Methanoid
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Two problem installs on two machines for me.

One got hosed when going to 10.6.2 and when I tried to reinstall it fails to find the HDD. I even reinstalled standard MBR code to it (no change) then wiped it and repartitioned it. Tried with HD4670 in and without. Tried changing SATA connectors. Tried disabling IDE adaptor.

I really DONT want GUID as I am multi booting or trying to.

I've installed two USB 8gb sticks. One with latest MyHack which has 10.6.2 compatible kexts but it still doesnt see the HDD.

Its taking 24 hours to make the USB Sticks too.. that cannot be correct?!??!

zim2dive
02-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Two problem installs on two machines for me.

One got hosed when going to 10.6.2 and when I tried to reinstall it fails to find the HDD. I even reinstalled standard MBR code to it (no change) then wiped it and repartitioned it. Tried with HD4670 in and without. Tried changing SATA connectors. Tried disabling IDE adaptor.

I really DONT want GUID as I am multi booting or trying to.

I've installed two USB 8gb sticks. One with latest MyHack which has 10.6.2 compatible kexts but it still doesnt see the HDD.

Its taking 24 hours to make the USB Sticks too.. that cannot be correct?!??!

yeah, my USB stick took forever and a day to make too.. you don't need to make a new USB stick once you have it.. I don't think.. so why not try a GPT install and then if that works, you know that is your issue.

As for your other troubles, the guide does say to use GPT...

andymodem
02-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Has anyone gotten Bonjour to work? No matter what I do I can't seem to get it work. I have the revision 1 of this board, and everything works great except Bonjour. Can someone who has gotten it to work, post what they did? Thanks.

Edit: I'm using the 32bit btw.

zim2dive
02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Has anyone gotten Bonjour to work? No matter what I do I can't seem to get it work. I have the revision 1 of this board, and everything works great except Bonjour. Can someone who has gotten it to work, post what they did? Thanks.

Edit: I'm using the 32bit btw.

did you even search this thread?

bgreen
02-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Hi

Thanks again

HI All

Went back to the original instal in this guide as still no luck with Empire. Update. Everything appears stable.

Sound was fixed with buying a cheap USB sound drive.... worked UOB. Great $8 investment.

Lan works with cheap PCI ethernet card. 10/100. However am having speed issues. Download speed etc is very slow compared with macbook using same cable connection. Any suggestions would be great!

Also sleep does not appear to be working properly. If i use sleep function screen locks and the screen saver will not come on. Screen will awaken after this if prompted to do so. At present i have set computer to never sleep and screen saver comes on at designated time. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.... regards Bruce

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
SATA DVD writer
2gb Ram
1 TB SATA Hard Drive
USB Sound device (Generic)
Ethernet PCI card

lflashl
02-21-2010, 01:40 PM
i just upgraded my CPU from a E6300 to a Q8400 and now i can not overclock. I can overclock from 2.33Ghz to 3.1Ghz, and boot into windows fine, play games/movies/music everything works fine. But when i boot into OSX86 Snow Leopard i cannot even boot into it. as sooon as i get the boot loader, i click snowleopard and then i get a msg telling to reboot. If i put the setting back to default settings, then no problems.

foghornleghorn
02-26-2010, 05:52 AM
My Leopard installation was working pretty well until recently, when its EFI partition somehow became terminally corrupted.
I've now installed Snow Leopard as per this guide, and I can't believe how much better it is: faster to launch applications, fewer irritating glitches like the need to reconnect to the airport network after sleep, and a generally much more authentic OSX experience.
A very streamlined installation process, too.
Many thanks to the OP.

claytonbellmor
02-26-2010, 06:01 AM
I followed this guide, and successfully installed Snow Leopard on my machine.
I'm using the mobo from the guide: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L rev. 2.

I reinstalled 10.6, using the same method and thumb drive, but now when I hit f12 to boot into the thumb drive, I get stuck at "Verifying DMI Data Pool".

I've changed every applicable setting in the CMOS setup utility, and tried resetting the BIOS.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and reset the main BIOS using the BIOS download from Gigabyte.com.tw, and a thumb drive.

Any ideas until then?

bgreen
02-26-2010, 07:20 AM
I followed this guide, and successfully installed Snow Leopard on my machine.
I'm using the mobo from the guide: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L rev. 2.

I reinstalled 10.6, using the same method and thumb drive, but now when I hit f12 to boot into the thumb drive, I get stuck at "Verifying DMI Data Pool".

I've changed every applicable setting in the CMOS setup utility, and tried resetting the BIOS.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and reset the main BIOS using the BIOS download from Gigabyte.com.tw, and a thumb drive.

Any ideas until then?

Hi

I recently had a similar message and fixed it after i googled DMI data pool messages. I would suggest you try that. I am a newbie so do not want to put you wrong... but what worked for me was disconnecting the Hard drive and booting up with the usb stick then reconnecting the hard drive. This seemed to reset the defaults and it was business as usual. You might want to wait for an informed solution but if you don't get one... well it worked for me.

Cheers Bruce

rwillett
02-26-2010, 09:32 PM
The verifying DMI is not a corrupt BIOS. You get it when you change a disk. I've just had it and it's a pain to get rid off. There seems to be very little on the net about it, but it is NOT a corrupt BIOS. I got rid of mine (upgrade from 250GB to 1.5TB) disk by unplugging the disks, booting off a flash drive and then pluggin and installing. YMMV.

gearheadgeek
02-27-2010, 02:47 AM
I have been trying to replace 10.5.7 with snow up on my G31M-E2SL using this guide, but can't get past the panics. I can't tell where it crashed because booting with -v sends the text flying by to fast. When it panic, it clears the screen and does the dump in a higher resolution that before. The third line says "64 bit mode enabled", even if I boot with -x32. I type -x32 -v before hitting return with snow selected and -v works so I don't think I am screwing up. Any ideas anyone?

alltoorobot
02-27-2010, 03:11 AM
I am looking around to see what kind of power supplies people are using with theyre eg31m's. The manual, as far as I know tells you to use a 400 watt PSU. I would like to bump it down as much as possible, get a video card that is passively cooled not using a lot of energy.

The mac mini's only draw 14 watts while idle. I would like to set up my eg31m to run as power efficient as possible. Thanks for anytipes guys.

zcream
03-02-2010, 05:30 AM
When I drag dsdt.dsl to iaslme I get 2 errors and 2 warnings.
This happens with the dsdt.dsl generated from DSDT_Patcher as well as the modified dsdl. dsl from the directions below.

dsdt.dsl : 327 - Store (Local0, Local0)
Method local variable is not initialized ^ Local0.

dsdt.dsl : 332 - Store (Local0, Local0)
Method local variable is not initialized ^ Local0.

Any idea why ?
Thanks!

>>>- let's begin... be sure you have a good texteditor handy (eg Textwrangler, BBEdit etc..)
- open ES2L kit Tools then "DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e" folder and double click "DSDT Patcher"
- a terminal window will open then press any key to continue
- next it will ask "Which OS to emulate? [0=Darwin, 1=WinXP, 2=WinVista]" input "0" and press enter
- a new Debug folder will appear and inside it are a few files but we are interested in "dsdt.dsl"
- open your dsdt.dsl using your preffered texteditor so we can start editing
- also as reference, open my included dsl to copy from it directly or check how it's done
- on your keyboard press "command F (Find)" and look for "_WAK", right above it copy paste "DTGP" located on your dsdtfix file
- again "command F (Find)" and enter RTC, look for "0x04" below RTC and changed them to "0x02" - this fix is for CMOS Reset
- command F (Find) and enter Azalia, go to dsdtfix file and copy paste "HDEF" to your dsl replacing azalia.. again check my included dsl for reference - this is for ALC883 Audio
>>>

zcream
03-02-2010, 05:37 AM
change to
Store (Zero, Local0)

jimhuanghust
03-05-2010, 05:12 AM
ES2l Kil (http://www.mediafire.com/?0dgkywotnzm) is not available, could anyone help ?

BJ40man
03-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey Folks!

regards!

Hello fritzbrause,

I have pretty much the same hardware configuration as you and I also couldn't find any "DTGP" on my dsdtfix file. Would you be kind enough as to share your dsdt.aml file with me? Or even better your modified dsdt.dsl?

Thank you very much... Ive been through the 53 pages of posts twice looking for any hints on how to make it work out.

regards

lflashl
03-07-2010, 11:41 AM
"press command+shift+q" to log out of the "second monitor"?

"press command+shift+q" to log out. Snow Leopard was thinkin that i had dual screen, and when you log out, it picked up that i have just one monitor! Just change the port on your video card!

zim2dive
03-10-2010, 10:22 PM
ES2l Kil (http://www.mediafire.com/?0dgkywotnzm) is not available, could anyone help ?

Link is working for me.

fatnurse
03-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Hello all

Just installing now (after banging my head against the keyboard last night when it just wouldnt install.... dont create your SL DVD install drive in tiger folks), im just wondering if any system updates can be done by regular ole 'Software Update..'?

cheers

m

EDIT: nevermind front page init..doh

fatnurse
03-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Spoke to soon about the install, it installs but when I boot from chameleon i get the normal grey screen and spiny thing and then a kernel panic, booted to -v and it said something about CPU 2 having no HPET assigned, ive tried a couple of different kext installs from myhack with the sameish result, the only things different in my setup from the guide is ive a rev 2 board (sorry not sure of the bios version) and im using an old ide pata drive (im waiting for a sata drive to be delivered).
Any ideas? could it just be the ide causing these problems (i have iatkos v7 running fine on this setup)

cheers

m

sk1nhd33t
03-12-2010, 04:05 PM

today march 12, updated the ES2L kit + dsdt with all the current fixes.. old kit can still be downloaded in the first page.

HTH.

barrsurf
03-13-2010, 03:00 AM
today march 12, updated the ES2L kit + dsdt with all the current fixes.. old kit can still be downloaded in the first page.

HTH.

Do you have a screen shot of the options you used. I installed on a new machine today and it disabled most of my video card, no QE, only one resolution, showing 32 meg vram vs 512 meg ram, only 32 bit color etc...

This is with the updated E2SL Kit.

EDIT: Okay, I re-installed with the 11-15 installer and the video card works.
With the old ES2L I had incorrect read of CPU, correct read of memory in overview (4 gb 1333 mhz DDR3), but nothing in memory pane, complete video card function (including sleep) and no sleep for machine.
With 3-12-10 ES2L kit I had correct read of CPU, incorrect read of memory (4 gb 5** mhz DDR2) in overview and memory pane, minimal video function (see above), and working sleep on machine but not video.
What would I look for to edit the kit to get the best of both worlds?

By the way, thanks for all the great work you've done on this, sk1nhd33t. And everyone else. This install has worked really well on my MSI X58 boards.

brainzito
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi, As you may see, I'm new to the hackintosh scene.

I updated to 10.6.2 after moving sleepenabler.kext from /extra to the desktop.

I can boot but i get no video, just a black screen with a functioning mouse arrow. When I hit the power button, the display shows a normal screen?!?!?!

What do I do now????

FYI, I was 100% working prior to the update ( Video, Sound, Net, Sleep, etc...)

Thanks!!!!!!!!

BlaSTiWi
03-15-2010, 07:28 PM
What video card are you using? I seems to recall some issue w/ nVidia 7xxx series on 10.6.2 if you have another video card try to swap it out to see if its any better ... GL!

I can boot but i get no video, just a black screen with a functioning mouse arrow. When I hit the power button, the display shows a normal screen?!?!?!

What do I do now????

Thanks!!!!!!!!

brainzito
03-16-2010, 03:05 AM
MSI N9400GT-MD1G GeForce 9400 GT 1GB

ufo_all
03-16-2010, 07:43 PM
i get following error after booting from usb ... here are the pics... when i typed -x32 i get error as please hold power down to shutdown etc...

and if i use -v i get mac os not yet install...

jimhuanghust
03-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Hi everyone,

I followed the step to install my snow leopard but have problems with first boot.
First Boot:
● press F12 Boot Menu again then choose your USB flash drive, we need to do this because our SATA drive is not bootable on it's own yet
● on the Chameleon selection screen, choose your never booted Snow Leopard drive/partition . (Encouter problem, i can only see the flash install driver here.)

I guess it may related to Extra/com.app.boot.plist. Below is mine, Could anyone give a help ?

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>bootcamp</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

fantome2024
03-19-2010, 02:36 AM
will this method work for sure on the G41M-ES2L Rev 1.1 boards ???

Also I notice there is no AHCI Sata mode in the bios, is this a deal breaker?

MonkeyDLuffy
03-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Hey guys,

Anyone made the rear audio blue port (maybe line-in) as speaker out (aside from the green port). I need to add two more speakers that will be plugged in the blue port but it will not work. Of course, it works in Windows 7 as rear speaker out. I already have two speakers which are connected to the green port and works fine. I was hoping that I can also do this in OSX with the blue port additional speaker thingy.

Thank you :D

promac34
03-29-2010, 01:09 AM
I have a G31M-ES2L Rev 2 which I have gotten everything but the ethernet working. I understand the onboard ethernet is junk on this board so I bought a TrendNet TEG-PCITXR PCI ethernet card which Lifehacker and others have said works OOB.

The card gets recognized by OSX although it only gets a self assigned IP address.

Has anyone had any experience getting a card with only a self-assigned IP address working?

P.S. I used the myHack_Installer_1.0.mpkg, DSDT Patcher, and the following kexts;

EvOreboot.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IONetworkingFamily.kext
LegacyALC883.kext
LegacyAppleRTC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
SleepEnabler.kext

Methanoid
03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Now that the OP has "retired" and 10.6.3 is out will someone else experienced be updating the Guide?

I see Asere's bootloader is now included - does that mean we no longer need worry that there is a new version of MyHack out?

n1c3jack3t
03-30-2010, 03:18 AM
Alright all, I took the dive and am running 10.6.3.

Delete your 10.6.2 sleep enabler kext and replace with this one:

http://www.meklort.com/?p=167

Then after the update, run tonymacx86's package to get your audio working again:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/10.6.2-AppleHDAInstaller.zip

For more info on issues and solutions for 10.6.3, visit this link:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/03/mac-os-x-1063-update.html

I'm still testing sleep. Last auto sleep using the RIP3 script didn't wake from sleep, but rebooted my comp. Still testing.

n1c3jack3t
03-30-2010, 03:19 AM
Oh, and yes this is running on a G31M-ES2l specifically.

beeros05
03-30-2010, 11:41 AM

What do I do now????

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Guys hi there! i had the same problem as well!

My Specs are:

CPU: Pentium D E6300 @ 2.8
MOBO: G31M-ES2L rev 1.0
VGA: Gigabyte 8400 GS 512
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 2GB@800

The thing is that i do not want to do again a fresh install, there is no reason to go through this procedure again, after all we are running ''macs'', fresh installs and formats are for Windows shit (imho)!

So i have followed the same guide as well and i am running 10.6
Does anybody have THE solution for the video matter?
Besides sleep enable kexts are there any other kexts that we should remove/install like graphics kexts?

simsim
03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I had to reverse to 10.6.2

Got a blue screen with 10.6.3
Removed sleepenabler before updating.
Maybe it's something to do with my graphics card (7300).
I'll just have to wait awhile before updating, see what develops.

G31m-ES2L
E6300@ 2.8
7300 GT
64 bit

edit: its a 64 bit problem, it works when using "arch=i386" as boot argument.
Fixed sound by installing AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 by dropping on Kext Utility.

n1c3jack3t
03-31-2010, 12:05 AM

My Specs are:

The thing is that i do not want to do again a fresh install, there is no reason to go through this procedure again, after all we are running ''macs'', fresh installs and formats are for Windows shit (imho)!

Besides sleep enable kexts are there any other kexts that we should remove/install like graphics kexts?

Try using the NVEnabler kext. Flawless upgrade to 10.6.3. DVI to HDMI fully working.

BlaSTiWi
03-31-2010, 03:56 AM
What audio kext are you using? I seems to lost only audio while the rest seems to be good ... no more output listed in audio pref. ...

Try using the NVEnabler kext. Flawless upgrade to 10.6.3. DVI to HDMI fully working.

arsonwells
03-31-2010, 04:33 AM
What audio kext are you using? I seems to lost only audio while the rest seems to be good ... no more output listed in audio pref. ...

I'm having the same problem, even after installing tonymac's kext. Not sure what else to try :-/

simsim
03-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Reading the comments on netkas.org concerning 10.6.3 update I came upon the following by "mac_dude".

"As I see there is no more 64 bit Support for GForce 7xxx Cards in 10.6.3 "

Might explain my problems when updating.

rwillett
03-31-2010, 11:11 PM
I have a very similar spec to you, though the graphics card is an Asus 9400GT.

If you can set the energy saver to one minute, or leave the |Enegry saver for the screen to come on then move the mouse it springs into action and works OK. I set mine to one minute when I'm booting and then move it to 15 min afterwards.

I've never got it to work directly after a boot. I *think* you can also get to it from a Screen sharing session and set it through that.

Rob

My Specs are:

dustintinsley
04-01-2010, 03:06 AM
I'm having the same problem, even after installing tonymac's kext. Not sure what else to try :-/

Same here. No audio for me either...

Horne Fisher
04-01-2010, 11:52 AM
10.6.3 fully working here after following n1c3jack3t's instructions to install the newer SleepEnabler (http://www.meklort.com/?p=167) before applying the 10.6.3 update and then the tonymacx86 audio fix (http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/10.6.2-AppleHDAInstaller.zip) after restarting.

Kexts installed in Extra/Extensions:

fakesmc.kext
LegacyALC883.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
SleepEnabler.kext

GA-G31M-ES2L
E6300 2.8GHz (OC 3.33GHz)
Asus 9400GT 512MB
32bit

zim2dive
04-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Has anyone tried sleep without the new sleepenabler? I saw several reports (not our mobo) that some folks don't need sleepenabler any more (edit: with 10.6.3)

sublimespot
04-02-2010, 02:46 AM
I have two of these machines.

Did a drive sync with SuperDuper!

Updated one to 10.6.3. It had a kernel panic on SleepEnabler. Booted to the SuperDuper backup, Updated the main drive to the new 10.6.x SleepEnabler, rebooted and it booted fine.

No audio.

Tried the VoodooHDA method for audio from tonymacx86 but it did not work. Then tried the 10.6.2 AppleHDA method and sound is back.

EDIT: BOTH VoodooHDA from MultiBeast, AND the 10.6.2 AppleHDA were required for sound to work for me again!

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/03/mac-os-x-1063-update.html

Running 10.6.3 now and everything seems good!

I'm running GeForce 9400 with native dual-monitor support out of the box! Only $35 from NewEgg.

dustintinsley
04-02-2010, 03:01 PM
I just update to 10.6.3 and was having issues of my display being "oversized". By this I mean that the sides and top/bottom are off the screen causing me to not even be able to see my menu bar at the top and cutting off some of the dock. I am using a Asus 9400 with a HDTV as my display. What can I do to fix this problem? I already made sure I do not have screen zoom turned on. I just got done wiping the HD and reinstalling from scratch. Same issue. It works fine under 10.6 (and also had 0 issues in 10.6.2) but as soon as I update to 10.6.3 it starts oversizing the screen. Any ideas on how to fix this?

bunun
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
read on another blog 10.6.3 was safe, boy was i stupid for not checking here first.

ati 9400gt i have a wierd bluish tint on my screen now

sound is not working

i originally did the update with sleep enabler still in my kexts folder, and ofcourse i got a kernel panic. i removed it on another install, but im faced with the other problems stated above

zim2dive
04-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Here's my less than perfect update log...

- Made backups of Extras and the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext (in S/L/E)
- Downloaded the Combo Update from the Apple website (via browser)
- Moved SleepEnabler.kext out of Extras
- Applied Update.. let it finish
- Restart
- got a KP Version mismatch between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.3.12/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:720- Reboot.. insert USB key from original install, boot from that.. drop into Terminal.. cd to /Volumes/Extra/Extensions... WTF.. SleepEnabler is still there.... rm -r -f SleepEnabler.kext
- Reboot .. comes up this time
- USB is dead.. unplug kbd and mouse.. plug them back in.. now they are alive
- No audio (figured I'd check)
- Tried File->Sleep... display shuts off but not machine.. cannot get it back
- Shutdown/Reboot
- Move 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext to a backup folder
- Run 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext installer
- Copy SleepEnabler for 10.6.3 to E/E
- run kext util
- reboot
- Audio is working
- Go to File->Sleep. Display turns off... machine does not.. machine will not wake up either.

EDIT: Ok, I'm just stupid... I accidentally copied SleepEnabler to Extra.. not Extra/Extensions.. all was good...
EDIT2: I lost sound.. see below and it gets worse

sublimespot
04-02-2010, 10:11 PM
After replacing SleepEnabler, DONT FORGET TO BOOT WITH -f to force Extensions reload

zim2dive
04-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Overall 144.03 -> 164.27
CPU 177.30 -> 214.95
Thread 205.34 -> 300.10
Memory 161.36 -> 178.32
Quartz 225.68 -> 270.25
OpenGL 90.05 -> 109.40
User Interface 286.73 -> 349.85
Disk 77.70 -> 75.06

3 stats, new scores in green
E5200 @ 2.5GHz -> E5200 @ 2GHz 10.6.2 -> E5200 @ 3GHz 10.6.3
Overall 144.03 -> 164.27 -> 187.53
CPU 177.30 -> 214.95 -> 213.85
Thread 205.34 -> 300.10 -> 292.42
Memory 161.36 -> 178.32 -> 191.23 (oh, I think I upgraded memory in the interim)
Quartz 225.68 -> 270.25 -> 268.95
OpenGL 90.05 -> 109.40 -> 187.51
User Interface 286.73 -> 349.85 -> 348.28
Disk 77.70 -> 75.06 -> 82.78

I am however noticing a real oddity with mplayer.. suddenly my system is "too SLOW to play this" with almost every video! (it was plenty fast before).

Video in VLC seems ok.. but wtf.. suddenly I have lost audio (no audio device), even tho it was working yesterday... off to investigate.

zim2dive
04-03-2010, 08:28 PM
So to get sound back.. I ran the AppleHDA 10.6.2 installer again... rebooted into a KP...

the KP messages look like its related to Eltima SyncMate.. so I rebooted in safe mode (-x) and removed that kext (don't use SyncMate anymore anyway....)... and then ran Kext Utility.

Rebooted.

Things look better again.. I have audio, and video is playing at speed with mplayer.

Strange...

DmitryAE
04-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Sucessfully update to 10.6.3 with new SleepEnabler.kext. Sound is working without any problems... May be I changed kexts early.

Thanks.

Horne Fisher
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Has anyone tried sleep without the new sleepenabler? I saw several reports (not our mobo) that some folks don't need sleepenabler any more (edit: with 10.6.3)

Tried this, hoping it might fix the USB device removal warning.

On entering sleep, drives stayed running but OS slept and would not wake. Forced reboot and reinstalled SleepEnabler.

10.6.3 still running smoothly.

nirvana
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Thank you for every help in this thread...

I'm a g31m-es2l mobo user..

Everything works fine even sleep..

But wake up take too much time..(about 15 seconds)

Anybody here like this?

Please help me...Thanks...

g31m-es2l (ver 1) / Intel E6300 2.8Ghz CPU / geforce8400gs / Samsung 4g RAM
/ the newest dsdt file in this thread / using kext : fakesmc 2.5 / 10.6.3 SL / hibernatemode : 0

zenrascal
04-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Just my note of appreciation for all the work you've put into this guide and tools.

I've been a happy ES2L Leopard user for about a year and have just upgraded to Snow. It went quite smoothly, thanks to you and the other contributors. Many kudos!

iscraigh
04-16-2010, 12:35 AM
I used this guide to do an install and am having one problem. I would like my default boot drive to be disk0s3

I have another install @ disk0s2 that is the drive that I told myhack to install to.

Which boot.plist file do I edit?

Thanks

Craig

zim2dive
04-16-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm trying to wrap my head around the best backup options and recovery options when things go wrong. Forgive me for asking lots of questions.. some of these may seem stupid, but I'm trying to assess what is needed and the trade-offs. I've been winging it until this point, but decided its time to give myself backup ability and do it right.

Let's assume a working HD and a separate drive used as backup... also assume we all used the install method from post #1

a) I believe that Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, and Disk Utility can all clone the main section of the working drive to the backup drive, but will NOT copy the bootloader?

b) Before even doing the above backup, the backup drive should be prepared (GPT, etc) as described in post #1?

c) once prepared.. you can do the clone.. at this point your data/etc is safe.. but the backup drive would not be bootable

d) let's say you had a failed 10.6.2->10.6.3 upgrade at this point and your machine KPs when trying to boot... can we restore from the backup drive, if so.. how? what I am booting with... will I always be able to get to the Chameleon menu (installed on drive #1) and pick the 2nd drive (even tho it does not have a bootloader on it?)

e) let me re-ask d) assuming I had installed Chameleon after step c .. how does that change things.

f) what did I forget to ask? :)

many thanks!

PS. I did thread title searches for Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, and backups.. I found surprisingly little and not with much detail.. maybe can get enough info here to make a nice guide.

francis
04-16-2010, 04:22 PM
First want to say thanks for the fantastic guide and really helpful followup posts. Never having done any of this before, I was booting Snow Leopard on my new system about 4 hours after the parts showed up at my door, and that felt pretty good!

However, I keep failing to get a usable dsdt.aml file out of the main instructions here. I'm just copying and pasting the required sections into my own dsdt.dsl (first from the dsdtfix file, then from the example dsdt.dsl), but I keep getting 2 errors in iASLme. One thing I did notice is that my .dsl file seems to have a lot of leading slashes (\) before various things that neither example .dsl provided in the kit have. Is that a problem?

Finally to see if audio could work at all, I just took the new ES2L w/ fixes .dsl file from the kit and used that, and now I have working audio using that dsdt.aml, and the Legacy883 and 10.6.2 AppleHDA kexts (on 10.6.3).

First question: is there a newer version of DSDTpatcher out there that I should be using? I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll try to update with the specific errors I'm getting.

Second (more important) question: I've seen warnings on this board and in this very guide against using someone else's dsdt file, but I don't really understand the actual risks very well. If it's just general stability, i.e. the occasional KP, then maybe that's something I can conscience for now. If there's graver dangers ahead, I'd really appreciate any info on them so I can stop using it if I need to.

simsim
04-16-2010, 06:26 PM
@ zim2dive regarding backup strategy.

I believe you have to install chameleon separately, thats what I had to do.

I was in that situation you described with the 10.6.3 update. I had made a backup before trying the update, (with superduper, it has a 'smartupdate' option to only copy new files, its quicker). When the update failed, I simply booted from the bckup drive and used superduper 'in reverese', to get back to 10.6.2.

The way I see it, the advantage with having the bootloader installed on the backupdrive is that you can just switch drives and be up and running. Which is handy if theres a mechanical fault on the original drive or you can't find that usb stick you had the bootloader on. I have a setup with the drive outside the case so its easy to switch drives, but I have a very quiet 500gb single platter drive, it might get noisy if you have a 1TB drive.

bmckay
04-17-2010, 01:05 AM
I have an interesting issue.

After upgrading to 10.6.3 yesterday, all of the text in the OS is slightly raised. It's to the point that some text is overlaying other text, cutting off lines and overall, changing the way I feel about my OS.

Is anyone else having this issue? If you're confused as to what I mean, the attachment is a screenshot of my Safari and Menubar.

The part that makes it really annoying is the fact that it's only the text, not the icons. If the icons were raised as well, it would be less noticeable.

*Edit: I've run into a much more serious issue. I can't boot into the OS at all. I've tried -x, -v, -f, but nothing works. No kernel panic errors. Just a hang. While booting in verbose safe, the last line that appears is
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:: pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failedand then it loaded HDAEnabler like 16 more time.

The only thing that I've done since the upgrade to 10.6.3 was create the E/E/ folder and move SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.3 into it.

I've booted into the USB disk and removed it and used DiskUtil to repair permissions, but nothing changed.

Please don't tell me I have to start from scratch.

I'm just gonna leave the computer running and see what happens overnight. Actually, I booted into single-user mode and when I mounted the filesystem, it said that it was modified. I'm guessing that this is because of trying to follow Zim2Dive's situation where he copied over SleepEnabler, then ran Kext Util. Once I did that, I pretty much lost my OS.

cyrusthevirus
04-17-2010, 03:24 PM
a flawless update. Everything working as before. Thanks everyone

bmckay
04-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Now I have another interesting issue.

I don't know why, but on my vanilla install of Snow, I can't seem to get sound working. I HAD it working, but not, it doesn't.

System Profiler is recognizing that there is a soundcard installed, and it is clearly being recognized as an 833, but no inputs or outputs are listed.

The only kexts I have installed are HDAEnabler, AppleHDA, and Legacy833.

For information's sake, I have a G31M-ES2l Rev2, EVGA 9400GT, E5200 oc to 3.00ghz, and I'm trying to use the built-in sound.

zim2dive
04-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Ok, so I got my new (SATA) drive in the mail. So I...

-Shut down hack
-inserted new drive.
-Rebooted.
-Once in OSX, presented with dialog for unrecognized drive, chose to initialize as per post #1 format your SATA drive using GPT and Mac OS Extended (Journaled), quit disk utility when done.with a 500G main drive, I chose to partition my new drive (GPT) into 2 500M partitions.. 1 for TimeMachine, and one as a pure clone (or maybe I'll find some other purpose later)
- per suggestion, I downloaded SuperDuper and fired it up... I was all set to use it, but it has a note that says it does not copy some system-specific files that Apple recommends excluding I wasn't 100% sure what this would mean.. but I decided to go for it.. with the plan being to do the full copy, install Chameleon and then see if I could boot from Clone.. that would be my test.

- after Super Duper ran, I figured I would also do my first Time Machine run. So I let that complete as well.

- Now time to install Chameleon on the 2nd drive.. I followed this guide: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649.0.html
My steps were:sudo -s
diskutil list
newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1
dir /Volumes/
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
cd Desktop/hack/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin
cd i386/
./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1
cp boot /Volumes/EFI
touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log
/fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
cp -r /Extra/* /Volumes/EFI/
umount /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFII shut down.. rebooted, and selected my Clone drive from the list.. and am posting from that session. So it appears to work. Please feel free to point out anything I could have done differently/better.

zim2dive
04-18-2010, 10:33 PM
FWIW, I plugged a GT220 in to this setup and it worked right away.. tho not giving the slight performance boost I expected : http://osx86.net/f7/9500gt-beats-gt220-like-crazy-t5998/#post47483