PDA

View Full Version : [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

shadowro
04-25-2010, 03:01 AM
installed as instructions provided in post #1
everything was working

downloaded 10.6.3 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom,
no audio, fuzzy image via hdmi on ASUS 9400GT.

tried with 10.6.2 audio, nothing

back to 10.6, downloaded 10.6.2 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom, no audio, video is ok

installed patched 10.6.2-AppleHDAInstaller.zip, nothing

10.6 working with LegacyALC883.kext

any ideas?

thanks.

G31M ES2L rev.1.1

http://www.kexts.com/view/185-alc883_snow_leopard.html
and Kext Utility
sound back

zim2dive
04-25-2010, 05:53 PM
installed as instructions provided in post #1
everything was working

downloaded 10.6.3 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom,
no audio, fuzzy image via hdmi on ASUS 9400GT.

tried with 10.6.2 audio, nothing

back to 10.6, downloaded 10.6.2 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom, no audio, video is ok

installed patched 10.6.2-AppleHDAInstaller.zip, nothing

10.6 working with LegacyALC883.kext

any ideas?

thanks.

G31M ES2L rev.1.1

http://www.kexts.com/view/185-alc883_snow_leopard.html
and Kext Utility
sound back

There are reports in other forums about HDMI issues. I use DVI, so I haven't kept track, but you may want to look into those.

notion
04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I followed the step to install my snow leopard but have problems with first boot.
First Boot:
● press F12 Boot Menu again then choose your USB flash drive, we need to do this because our SATA drive is not bootable on it's own yet
● on the Chameleon selection screen, choose your never booted Snow Leopard drive/partition . (Encouter problem, i can only see the flash install driver here.)

I guess it may related to Extra/com.app.boot.plist. Below is mine, Could anyone give a help ?

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<string>y</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>bootcamp</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I am having the exact same problem, did you ever figure out a solution to see the drive where Snow Leopard installed?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out what the problem was... my keyboard didn't work with boot up for some reason, but switched to a different one and now everything's great!

bunun
04-29-2010, 03:36 AM
sound still not working, i have a rev2 board, looked at the past few solutions, and im still sol.

rwillett
04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I thought I'd share my experiences on how I got 10.6.3 working on my G31M-ES2L board. I had a number of issues with the first upgrade and went back and installed from scratch.

First of all a full system restore from a local Time Machine doesn't work. I never managed to get the boot partition to work after this. A restore of user accounts, and everything else does work though.

I had a working system through following this guide all the way to 10.6.2. USB worked fine, I had the initial black screen on first boot until the screen saver kicked in and I never, ever got sleep to work :)

I wanted to upgrade to 10.6.3, I followed the instructions here, removed the sleepenabler.kext, upgraded to 10.6.3 and then applied the new upgraded sleepenabler.kext. Blue screen, mmm.... lets downgrade using Time machine back to 10.6.2, rats, either it doesn't restore or screws the boot partition <sigh>, do proper install from USB key.

Full install from USB key, chose to restore user and applications from the Time Machine backup and, blow me down with a feather, it works.

Took sleepenabler out, upgraded to 10.6.3, installed sleepenabler and this time it worked. No idea why.

However my external powered USB hub would connect and disconnect every five seconds or so. I noticed this as I have an iMic connected to the hub to power my speakers as I don't use the internal audio. This was originally because my external speakers didn't have a volume control and the output from the motherboard was too loud. I have since changed the speakers but left the iMic in as it was a zero maintenance item and I didn't have to worry about sound kexts as it was external.

I could see errors in the console so looked further into the problem. There were definite USB disconnects. A trawl round the internet produced this site

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/03/mac-os-x-1063-update.html

I could see there were some USB issues and various fixes. Since I didn't understand DSDT I thought I'd simply download the
"Non-Vanilla USB Solution - For Non-DSDT Users with No USB " fix.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/10.6.2-IOUSBFamilyInstaller.zip

I ran this and rebooted. My USB issues had gone, no disconnects, no problems so far.

As an aside my black screen on initial boot has also gone. I have not yet fixed the sleep issue but lets cross that bridge later :)

hope this helps somebody.

macdaddy247
04-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Well, it wasn't easy, but I have finally got my G31M ES2L Rev 2 system fully working.

Here's the hardware:

- Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Intel G31 Video/Sound Socket 775 mATX Motherboard
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz 'Wolfdale' 2MB Cache 45nm LGA775 (800Mhz)
- Samsung SH-S223B/RSMN 22x DVDR/RW Dual Layer SATA Multi Bezel
- Asus 512MB GDDR2 GeForce 9400GT DVI/HDMI (PCI-E) With Low Profile Bracket
- Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 DIMM Memory Kit
- 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 7200RPM SATA 3Gb 16MB Cache

I did two things that made this process a whole lot more complicated that it needed to be.
1) I got a rev 2 board instead of rev 1 (meaning that I would have to spend ages unsuccessfully trying to get ethernet working).
2) I used a small form factor case (which requires low profile brackets for PCI cards), mainly because I got it really cheap (around £7 or $12).

Of course, hats off to the original creator of this thread. The instructions were clear, and I managed to get snow leopard running without any errors or crashes.

I discovered, after a bit of trying that the rev 2 on board ethernet wouldn't work, so bought a NIC. However, as I needed a low profile bracket, I was restricted to the Startech st100s which, after a lot of playing with, didn't work (anyone who wants to buy that off me for a non snow leopard project? :)).

The frustration got too much, so in the end I cheated a bit and bought a USB ethernet adaptor from Apple which worked OTB.

The audio also gave me a few problems. I followed the instructions in this thread, but it still didn't want to work.
So, in adition to the ALC883 legacy kext, I also had to stick in the Apple HDA kext and used Kext Utility, plus the pfix included in the original instructions to get things going.
I'm not entirely sure what it was that finally made it all work, but the main thing is that I have sound.

A Mac on a tiny budget. After some hours, and some stress, I'm a happy man!

I have been considering running an update to 10.6.2, but I'm scared that it might break it. :-/

rwillett
04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Upgrading to 10.6.2 is easy, lots of comments on this thread. Upgrading to 10.6.3 is more of an issue with kexts and external USB, see my previous comment.

macdaddy247
04-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Upgrading to 10.6.2 is easy, lots of comments on this thread. Upgrading to 10.6.3 is more of an issue with kexts and external USB, see my previous comment.

Just out of interest, is there anything in the updates that is crucial to its smooth operation?
I'm only really going to be using my machine for video editing, so web security updates etc aren't overly important.

From the top of your head, are there any major fixes that are highly recommended?
If so, I will probably have a go.

rwillett
04-30-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure of the exact details but I know there are stability updates within the major updates, they are NOT just security. On the whole I would advise you to upgrade, however if your machine is not on the network and it's perfectly stable, there may be no need.

You mileage may vary though :)

Rob

bunun
05-01-2010, 05:54 PM
in the first post, it was clear that Ethernet would not work with rev 2 boards. your fail

macdaddy247
05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Ha ha,

Typical!
The evening after I posted about my successful sl build, I got home and it wasn't working properly.
Sound had vanished again (couldn't get it back for some reason. And every 1 in three restarts would bring up a blank blue screen instead of the desktop. The only way to bring the desktop up bing to swith the machine of and on again real fast (bringing it back before it has the chance to actually power down.

I did use the migration tool to copy across some programs and files. This seems to have been the cause of it all. Perhaps because the 2 machines were on different releases of sl (10.6.0 and 10.6.3).
Doh. Back to the drawing board.

macdaddy247
05-05-2010, 02:31 PM
in the first post, it was clear that Ethernet would not work with rev 2 boards. your fail
Yeah... I know... :o

Must have over-looked it with all the excitement...

OmniAtlas
05-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Hey all, followed the directions and installed Snow Leopard on my G31M-S2L (not the G31M-ES2l); had initial problems because I have an ATI-4850 and the boot loader doesn't support the graphics chip, so I had to install with the -x fix. Someone should ask them to include the new boot file from netkas.org which supports more recent graphics cards.

Nevertheless, got it installed, and got graphics working with ATI4800Controller.kext (after making changes to ATI4800Controller.kext). Installed 10.6.3 -- reinstalled the new sleep enabler, graphics didn't work again so I had to revert to drivers from 10.6.2. I have a external sound card via USB (creative X-MON) so everything works fine.

I was a bit confused with the DSDT file because the changes mentioned couldn't be found in my personalised dsdt file. I moved it to /Extras anyway.

Now, my only problem, my SL hard drive sometimes randomly just reads and I can't do anything on my computer. For example, I'll be surfing with google chrome with minimal apps open, and the red light on my computer will blink for a minute or so. In that time period I can't do anything. I'm using a SATA hard drive, with S.M.A.R.T turned on, partition map type is MBR shared with a Windows 7 partition.

Has anyone experienced this? I've run iDefrag, but I still have the problem. I have 4 GB of physical ram which I think is sufficient to run SL. I'd appreciate any help!

rwillett
05-19-2010, 12:24 PM
I have a working system using the dual core CPU. It's nicely patched upto 10.6.3 and works very well.

However as is the nature of these things, I want something quicker and wondered if anybody has put a quad core CPU on the G31M board. is there a tremendous difference in speed, is it kinda nice but the OS ignores the 3rd and 4th cores.

Any information welcomed.

Thanks,

Rob.

zim2dive
05-19-2010, 11:06 PM
I'd like to connect and use the 3-pin fan on the mobo, but it seems like its always on full tilt.

SMC fan control crashes when I try to run that, and "Fan Control 1.2" reports -1 rpm for the fan :)

anyone had any luck controlling the fans with our mobo?

ae86keidori
05-22-2010, 06:49 PM
I followed the directions to the letter my system configuration is follows:

mobo: ga-g31m-es2l ver2
ram: 2gb ddr 800
hd: 620gb wd sata
optical drive: dvdrw lg sata
video card: msi nvidia 9400gt

I formated my thumb drive with guid, then restored the snow lepord image to my thumb drive, ran my hack install (with the options provided) and pointed the install to my thumb drive, edited my plist and then booted to my thumb drive. It all looks like its loading fine then it hangs on "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCpuPower Managment) timed out"

From my understanding when your running the setup for my hackinstaller and you choose the nullcpumanagment.kext this should solve the problem. However it gets stuck on this point, any help would be greatly appreciated!

ZappedC64
05-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Hello,

I have the same motherboard as in the title of this forum post. I got my system fully functional with the instructions in this forum, yes, even sound. :) After I upgraded to 10.6.3, I lost sound and could not get it back.

I was able to get the sound back... but through probably the wrong way. I wiped the drive and reinstalled. After I had everything working, I backed up the Extensions directory. Then I updated to 10.6.3, rebooted, renamed the updated Extenstions directory, and then put the pre 10.6.3 Extensions directory back in place and ran pfix.

Are there any downsides to what I did?

Kind regards,
-=ZappedC64=-

dal
05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm getting a no boot disk error after installing snow leopard following this guide but can still boot into OSX & windows 7 using the bootable flash drive that was used for the install. Chameleon loads up from the flash drive but i'd really like to bypass the flash drive and boot from the hard drive.
I only have one hard drive and it has 4 partitions on it. One for windows 7 recovery, windows 7, xp , and osx. The osx partition was added last.
When I boot off the flash, chameleon loads and I can choose to boot into osx, or the windows loader where I can choose between 7 and xp.

Thanks in advance

David

zcream
06-10-2010, 10:07 AM
In case someone missed out, there is a kext to enable onboard ethernet with the ar8131 chipset. Ethernet is working great on my ES2L v2 with 10.6.3 but sound is a biiiig problem.
Look here..
http://code.google.com/p/iats/downloads/list

BlaSTiWi
06-14-2010, 02:31 AM
Tkx! What's L1 & L2 stuff? Which particular one to use?

In case someone missed out, there is a kext to enable onboard ethernet with the ar8131 chipset. Ethernet is working great on my ES2L v2 with 10.6.3 but sound is a biiiig problem.
Look here..

bobbyd
06-14-2010, 03:30 AM
I second the last post, which one of those listed on the google code site is the one to install for ethernet?

I have sound working on my rev 2, on 10.6.3. Use the attached Apple Azalia Audio kext and your sound should start working. But note that you must be booting into 32-bit.

If anyone on rev 2 (or rev 1) is booting into 64bit and has sound fully functioning, please tell us how! Also if anyone on rev 2 could please post their dsdt, that'd be great too! Thanks!

zcream
06-14-2010, 08:22 AM
L1C works for the ar8131 that the rev 2 boards have.

dkrender
06-14-2010, 08:13 PM
bobbyd's install works as far as getting audio output goes. There are no options whatsoever for input/microphones. VoodooHDA seems to work a little bit better. I'm using 0.2.2b from their official forums, and it still doesn't give me microphone support, but I can get my guitar to work that I'm using through line-in. I'm using 32-bit 10.6.3 on a Rev.1, by the way.

I'm really miffed that Apple managed to break kext support for a lot of older kexts. Under 10.6.2 I had everything working, Mic+Speakers+Line-in. I'm considering swapping motherboards to have something that works. :/

sublimespot
06-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Look here..

I put AtherosL1cEthernet.kext in my Extensions folder for LAN success on v2 boards. After doing this I lost sound and have to boot with -f EVERY TIME in order to get the system to boot. grr. Also this v2 board has random crashes quite a bit. My v1 board is rock solid.

dkrender
06-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I feel obligated to post this.

For anyone having trouble getting the audio to work after the 10.6.3 update, I did find a fully working solution that has all features enabled, including front panel audio, microphone and line-in support.

1) You need the AppleHDA.kext file extracted from the 10.6.2 combo update that can be downloaded from Apple.com's downloads. You also need the LegacyALC883.kext from the ES2L Kit listed in the first post of this thread.

2) Use Pacifist to extract the AppleHDA.kext file from the 106.2 combo update from Apple. When browsing through the update, the file should be located in System/Library/Extensions.

3) Replace AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E on your own Hackintosh drive with this older version. Open Disk Utility and repair your permissions.

4) Put LegacyALC883.kext in your /Extras/Extensions folder (located in the root of your Hackintosh drive.) Use the pfix utility to repair the permissions on drive.

5) Restart and you should be golden.

**Be aware that I'm no expert on this. I'm guessing you'll also need a patched dsdt.aml file that's outline in the first post of this thread. I also doubt this fix will work with other models/brands of motherboards.)

sublimespot
06-15-2010, 07:05 PM
That LegacyHDA from 10.6.2 gets sound back on my rev2 board under 10.6.3

dkrender
06-16-2010, 04:03 AM
Just in case anyone is wondering...

I did the upgrade to 10.6.4 and got a kernel panic. It seems like it's related to the SleepEnabler kext. I believe there were problems of this same nature going from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3. I haven't been able to resolve it yet since my Mac OS installation will not load, even in safe mode. I think it's safe to say that people may want to remove the kext before doing the update.

m0nk
06-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Just did the 10.6.4 update I removed sleepenabler kext, It installed without a problem. sound and ethernet still work, My update was only 300 some megs I have another laptop to upgrade and the 10.6.4 update is over 900 megs so... the 300 one seems safe :)

bobbyd
06-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Here's everything I have, thought it'd be useful for anyone who's stuck.
I'm on 10.6.4 in 64 bit mode with everything working great besides sleep (which isn't a big deal for me).

The kexts in my Extra/Extensions folder are:
fakesmc
JMicronATA
NullCPUPowerManagement
NVEnabler64
OpenHaltRestart
PlatformUUID

Additional kexts that I installed on top of everything to S/L/E:
LegacyALC883
AtherosL1cEthernet
AppleHDA

I attached my Extra folder to this post, in it you'll find all the kexts I mentioned along with my DSDT. Hope this helps!

zim2dive
06-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Just in case anyone is wondering...

I did the upgrade to 10.6.4 and got a kernel panic. It seems like it's related to the SleepEnabler kext. I believe there were problems of this same nature going from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3. I haven't been able to resolve it yet since my Mac OS installation will not load, even in safe mode. I think it's safe to say that people may want to remove the kext before doing the update.

Dunno if post #8 here will help you

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221273

EDIT: and/or http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466

zim2dive
06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Just did the 10.6.4 update I removed sleepenabler kext, It installed without a problem. sound and ethernet still work, My update was only 300 some megs I have another laptop to upgrade and the 10.6.4 update is over 900 megs so... the 300 one seems safe :)

I'm on 10.6.4 in 64 bit mode with everything working great besides sleep (which isn't a big deal for me).

fakesmc
JMicronATA
NullCPUPowerManagement
NVEnabler64
OpenHaltRestart
PlatformUUID

LegacyALC883
AtherosL1cEthernet
AppleHDA

I attached my Extra folder to this post, in it you'll find all the kexts I mentioned along with my DSDT. Hope this helps!

I noticed one person had to use the AppleHDA kext from 10.6.2 for audio (just as we had to for 10.6.3), but the other didn't mention it)

Please post which versions of mobo you have (and/or add a .sig in your user profile). Thanks!

BlaSTiWi
06-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Where did you get your DSDT file? Just wonderin' 'cuz the size of my DSDT is 16K (from the OP zip on the 1st pg) and your DSDT in the zip you provided is 20K ... I wonder what's the diff. in it.

Tkx!

fakesmc
JMicronATA
NullCPUPowerManagement
NVEnabler64
OpenHaltRestart
PlatformUUID

LegacyALC883
AtherosL1cEthernet
AppleHDA

miko88
06-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi! I'm new in this forum, I'm already registred in the InsanelyMac forum with the same nick name.
I bought a GA-g31m-es2l R2.0 and installed with Snow Leopard Retail of this guide. Seems work fine. Can I boot in x64 with a GF 7300 GT or is supported only in x32 mode? Sorry for my bad English, I'm Italian.
Thanks

infiniteThanks
06-20-2010, 07:28 AM
I could not get audio to work after moving to 10.6.3 no matter how hard I tried. So i did something drastic:
Got a USB stereo adapter. You may pick any of the ones available; I picked the one that works without drivers for OSX. The one I chose was the Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter based on the C-Media Chipset.

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS.

Why? It is 9.99 at Amazon.

Step 1. Remove all audio related kexts from /Extra/Extensions. In my case they were AppleHDA.kext and LegacyALC883.kext.

Step 2: REMOVE /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext. This is to avoid a kernel panic when you install 10.6.4

Step 3: Rebuild /Extra/Extensions.mkext. Use mkexttool.app or the following command line:
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

You can optimize based on if you are running 32 bit mode or 6 bit mode by using only the -a i386 or -a x86_64 respectively.

Step 3: Download Updates 10.6.4 Pretty big. Reboot.

Step 4: Attach the USB sound device and plug in speaker and microphone inputs. Make sure that everything is pushed in completely.

Step 5: Go to System Preferences -> Sound. You should see C-Media USB Audio.

Make sure the volume for microphone is set properly. Mine was set to minimum.

There seems to be a new SleepEnabler out but some people have had issues with it. So I am waiting for the jury.

JertheMacUser
06-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi, new to the board here. I'm just cross posting on this forum as well to share my experience installing SL 10.6.3 on the Ga-G31m-es2l board.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3080

Cliff notes:
I used the iBoot method and was able to successfully install. As expected sound, lan, and sleep are not working but am looking into it. I can also verify that the network drivers work from this link http://code.google.com/p/iats/downloads/list worked for me.

twr
06-22-2010, 04:23 PM
hello there,

being a user of a G31M-ES2L rev. 1, I'd really like to be able to use the top-of-the-art DSDT provided on the first page, but actually, when I just put it into my /E/E (using C2 pré RC5, boothfs / fdisk440 flavour, so that my W7 x64 can sleep), my boot hangs after lots of messages about vmware fusion modules loading.

obviously, I'm missing something : any clue ?

another question : what am I supposed to do with the ES2Lw/allcurrentfixes.dsl file ? must I just compile it then try to boot ??

for now I'm kind of lost, so any help would be appreciated ...

zcream
06-24-2010, 01:50 PM
I used this guide and am now at 10.6.3, Sleep is a problem though. Sometimes sleep works and I can wakeup the system.
Sometimes, the motherboard wakes up, the CPU fans spins but I cannot get the display back and I have to reboot.
I also get the USB device error if a USB device was plugged in before going to sleep.
I have the v2 board with the ar8131 kext for Ethernet.

simsim
06-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Updated to 10.6.4.

Removed sleepenabler before update.
Only problem after restart was sound but AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2. made it work again.

32bit rev 1 board
kexts in extra:

fakesmc.kext
LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext
LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext

zim2dive
06-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Rev 1 board, update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4

Removed SleepEnabler from /E/E
Copied /S/L/E/AppleHda.kext to a save folder
ran kext util

Downloaded combo update, ran, rebooted

No sound (expected).

Copied saved AppleHDA to /S/L/E
Copied new 10.6.4 SleepEnabler to /E/E
ran kext util

rebooted

No sound.

re-copied the 10.6.2 AppleHDA and rebooted.. still no luck.

Tried running the Tonymac 10.6.2 AppleHDA installer.. got a KP on reboot after that. Sigh.

Booted into my back partition and copied AppleHDA over from that to my main partition. Removed kext caches. Rebooted. Booting to 10.6.4 again, still no audio device tho.

What am I missing??

EDIT: per following this guide from day1, my /E/E isLegacyALC883.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
SleepEnabler.kext
fakesmc.kext

EDIT2: Using AppleHDA.kext-10.6.4-ALC883.zip from http://www.mediafire.com/?khmky1qwzzz I have audio again. Not sure why the 10.6.2 AppleHDA was not sufficient??

zcream
06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Has anyone encountered the following sleep issues ?
Sometimes the system goes to sleep and clicking the mouse brings it back on.
sometimes the system wakes up, but the display is still black and the display does not come back online.
Just wondering if anyone has encountered this issue and what the fix might be ?
I have the v2 ES2l board with the ar8131 ethernet drivers. Graphics is a Gigabyte 8500GT 512MB card.

zim2dive
06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
sometimes the system wakes up, but the display is still black and the display does not come back online.
I have the v2 ES2l board with the ar8131 ethernet drivers. Graphics is a Gigabyte 8500GT 512MB card.

I have no issues waking up with rev 1 mobo.

sobanek
07-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Where did you get the ar8131 ethernet drivers? Can you post a link please? I've been looking for it for over a month!

chibiace
07-05-2010, 04:50 AM
anybody know how i would go about doing these directions under linux or windows?

i dont currently have access to osx,

any help would be welcome! im mostly looking for where to put the device drivers.
and stuff so that it will boot the SL installer.

rwillett
07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I took the plunge and ordered a quad core Q8300 and fitted it to replace my E6300 dual core. I do a lot of video rework and wanted multiple cores.

The older dual core is 2.8GHz, the newer quad core is 2.5Ghz. I figured the slight loss in outright speed is made up by the fact I now have four cores. I know I can overclock CPU's but that is absolutely not on the cards, so it'll stay at 2.5Ghz.

I benchmarked the dual core first.

Summary

Section Description Score Geekbench Score
Geekbench 2.1.6 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)
Integer Processor integer performance 3249 3979
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 5838
Memory Memory performance 2897
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 2194
System Information

Operating System Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Build 10D578)
Model Hackintosh Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L x.x
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6300 @ 2.80GHz
Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processors 1 Threads 2
Cores 2 Memory 4.00 GB 1066 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Processor Frequency 2.83 GHz Bus Frequency 1.06 GHz
L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB
L2 Cache 2.00 MB L3 Cache 0.00 B
BIOS Apple Computer, Inc. MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410
Integer Section

Section Score 3249

Blowfish
single-threaded scalar 1964
86.3 MB/sec

Blowfish
multi-threaded scalar 4141
169.7 MB/sec

Text Compress
single-threaded scalar 2182
6.98 MB/sec

Text Compress
multi-threaded scalar 4113
13.5 MB/sec

Text Decompress
single-threaded scalar 1976
8.12 MB/sec

Text Decompress
multi-threaded scalar 3929
15.7 MB/sec

Image Compress
single-threaded scalar 1999
16.5 Mpixels/sec

Image Compress
multi-threaded scalar 3790
31.9 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress
single-threaded scalar 1756
29.5 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress
multi-threaded scalar 3561
58.1 Mpixels/sec

Lua
single-threaded scalar 3220
1.24 Mnodes/sec

Lua
multi-threaded scalar 6363
2.45 Mnodes/sec

Floating Point Section

Section Score 5838

Mandelbrot
single-threaded scalar 2091
1.39 Gflops

Mandelbrot
multi-threaded scalar 4192
2.74 Gflops

Dot Product
single-threaded scalar 3833
1.85 Gflops

Dot Product
multi-threaded scalar 7993
3.64 Gflops

Dot Product
single-threaded vector 3065
3.67 Gflops

Dot Product
multi-threaded vector 7044
7.33 Gflops

LU Decomposition
single-threaded scalar 808
719.6 Mflops

LU Decomposition
multi-threaded scalar 1628
1.43 Gflops

Primality Test
single-threaded scalar 4599
687.0 Mflops

Primality Test
multi-threaded scalar 6982
1.30 Gflops

Sharpen Image
single-threaded scalar 5868
13.7 Mpixels/sec

Sharpen Image
multi-threaded scalar 11668
26.9 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image
single-threaded scalar 7389
5.85 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image
multi-threaded scalar 14580
11.5 Mpixels/sec

Memory Section

Section Score 2897

Read Sequential
single-threaded scalar 3653
4.47 GB/sec

Write Sequential
single-threaded scalar 3183
2.18 GB/sec

Stdlib Allocate
single-threaded scalar 2503
9.34 Mallocs/sec

Stdlib Write
single-threaded scalar 2536
5.25 GB/sec

Stdlib Copy
single-threaded scalar 2610
2.69 GB/sec

Stream Section

Section Score 2194

Stream Copy
single-threaded scalar 2137
2.92 GB/sec

Stream Copy
single-threaded vector 2365
3.07 GB/sec

Stream Scale
single-threaded scalar 2274
2.95 GB/sec

Stream Scale
single-threaded vector 2269
3.06 GB/sec

Stream Add
single-threaded scalar 1959
2.96 GB/sec

Stream Add
single-threaded vector 2526
3.51 GB/sec

Stream Triad
single-threaded scalar 2153
2.98 GB/sec

Stream Triad
single-threaded vector 1874
3.51 GB/sec

and then benchmarked the quadcore, same hardware expect the CPU

Summary

Section Description Score Geekbench Score
Geekbench 2.1.6 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)
Integer Processor integer performance 4489 5417
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 8575
Memory Memory performance 3065
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 2324
System Information

Operating System Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Build 10D578)
Model Hackintosh Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L x.x
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processors 1 Threads 4
Cores 4 Memory 4.00 GB 1066 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Processor Frequency 2.56 GHz Bus Frequency 1.33 GHz
L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB
L2 Cache 2.00 MB L3 Cache 0.00 B
BIOS Apple Computer, Inc. MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410
Integer Section

Section Score 4489

Blowfish
single-threaded scalar 1760
77.3 MB/sec

Blowfish
multi-threaded scalar 7378
302.4 MB/sec

Text Compress
single-threaded scalar 1946
6.22 MB/sec

Text Compress
multi-threaded scalar 7270
23.8 MB/sec

Text Decompress
single-threaded scalar 1759
7.23 MB/sec

Text Decompress
multi-threaded scalar 7028
28.0 MB/sec

Image Compress
single-threaded scalar 1784
14.7 Mpixels/sec

Image Compress
multi-threaded scalar 6846
57.6 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress
single-threaded scalar 1550
26.0 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress
multi-threaded scalar 5837
95.2 Mpixels/sec

Lua
single-threaded scalar 2886
1.11 Mnodes/sec

Lua
multi-threaded scalar 7831
3.01 Mnodes/sec

Floating Point Section

Section Score 8575

Mandelbrot
single-threaded scalar 1867
1.24 Gflops

Mandelbrot
multi-threaded scalar 7476
4.89 Gflops

Dot Product
single-threaded scalar 3420
1.65 Gflops

Dot Product
multi-threaded scalar 14288
6.51 Gflops

Dot Product
single-threaded vector 2732
3.27 Gflops

Dot Product
multi-threaded vector 12267
12.8 Gflops

LU Decomposition
single-threaded scalar 733
652.9 Mflops

LU Decomposition
multi-threaded scalar 2714
2.38 Gflops

Primality Test
single-threaded scalar 4103
612.8 Mflops

Primality Test
multi-threaded scalar 12516
2.32 Gflops

Sharpen Image
single-threaded scalar 5223
12.2 Mpixels/sec

Sharpen Image
multi-threaded scalar 20498
47.2 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image
single-threaded scalar 6564
5.19 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image
multi-threaded scalar 25653
20.2 Mpixels/sec

Memory Section

Section Score 3065

Read Sequential
single-threaded scalar 3604
4.41 GB/sec

Write Sequential
single-threaded scalar 3581
2.45 GB/sec

Stdlib Allocate
single-threaded scalar 2236
8.35 Mallocs/sec

Stdlib Write
single-threaded scalar 3087
6.39 GB/sec

Stdlib Copy
single-threaded scalar 2818
2.91 GB/sec

Stream Section

Section Score 2324

Stream Copy
single-threaded scalar 2473
3.38 GB/sec

Stream Copy
single-threaded vector 2628
3.41 GB/sec

Stream Scale
single-threaded scalar 2350
3.05 GB/sec

Stream Scale
single-threaded vector 2569
3.47 GB/sec

Stream Add
single-threaded scalar 1835
2.77 GB/sec

Stream Add
single-threaded vector 2787
3.88 GB/sec

Stream Triad
single-threaded scalar 1978
2.73 GB/sec

Stream Triad
single-threaded vector 1975
3.70 GB/sec

As can be seen the single threaded stuff is all slightly slower on the quad core as the CPU speed is slightly slower, and the multi threaded stuff is a lot, lot faster as I have two more cores to play with.

There doesn't appear to be any major different in me using the quad core, nothing appears any quicker on the user interface, which is much as I'd expect. I hope Final Cut and Handbrake see the benefit though. If not then the quad core will go into a VMWare esxi server and I'll drop the dual core back in.

Hope this helps somebody,

Rob.

scififan68
07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Where did you get the ar8131 ethernet drivers? Can you post a link please? I've been looking for it for over a month!

http://iats.googlecode.com/files/build_x64_20100425.zip for Snow Leopard and 64bit.

DmitryAE
07-11-2010, 07:52 AM
I have updated from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 rev 1.1 mobo.

Remove sleepenabler, updated to 10.6.4, then installed sleepenabler from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466. Works great!

Sounds works fine, use AppleHDA(don't know what version, may be 10.6.2) on 10.6.3 and it works after update with no problems.

rwillett
07-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi,

I need to add a PCI-Express Firewire card to my G31 Motherboard. I currently have an Asus 9400GT graphics card which spans over my PCI slots only leaving me with one spare one. I use the one spare PCI slot for an Ethernet card.

I have a couple of Firewire devices, i.e. a Video camera and a Eldirol sound system and would like to keep them hence the need for a PCI-E card.

Searching around shows some cards that *may* work, but it's not clear if they work with Snow Leopard on this particular motherboard. I'll take a punt on a £20 card but not on a £35 pound card (x 1.5 for dollars).

Cards that have some success include the

Belkin F5505 http://uk.shopping.com/xPO-Belkin-BELKIN-FIREWIRE-3-PORT-PCI-EXPRESS-CARD-NIC

and the Sonnet
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technology/FW400AE/

and the Dynex DX-PCI2PF

None are that cheap and I will not get my money back if they don't work.

So can anybody confirm that any of these cards will work in a PCI-E slot?

Thanks,

Rob

giaour61
07-25-2010, 11:23 PM
PCI-E x1 Firewire cards are rare and tend to be expensive. Nevertheless, almost all regular PCI Firewire cards work on hackintoshes much more often than not. It's easier to replace your PCI NIC with a PCI-E x1 NIC and then buy a regular PCI Firewire card for $10 (delivery included) on eBay. The following PCI-E x1 NIC works like a charm on 10.5.8: TP-Link TG-3468. I'm sure it works on 10.6.4 as well, but you may need to check it. It's a very inexpensive NIC.

rwillett
07-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Rats, an excellent idea, why didn't I think of it :) ? I'm wholly unclear about PCI Express as it's yet another new format to find out about.

However I have now ordered a PCI-E Firewire card but I think I'll order one of these as well, they're cheap so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll try them both out and report back. I now have a spare G31 MB and system so can play more without blowing up my main hackintosh.

Thanks for taking the time to answer,

Rob

rwillett
07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
I have updated from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 rev 1.1 mobo.

Remove sleepenabler, updated to 10.6.4, then installed sleepenabler from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466. Works great!

Sounds works fine, use AppleHDA(don't know what version, may be 10.6.2) on 10.6.3 and it works after update with no problems.
Dmitry,

I have never managed to get Sleepenabler to recover from going to sleep, everything else works really well, but this is the one function that eludes me. I have downloaded multiple sleepenablers, played with the BIOS settings, added and removed PleaseSleep and other software without it ever working. I can sometimes get it to suspend, but have never got it to come back to life.

Can you go through what configuration settings you have that makes your sleepenabler config work? The sort of things I was thinking about are:

What are the BIOS settings? i.e. S1 or S3 in the sleep settings in the BIOS.
How do you activate wakeup, mouse or keyboard press?
Do you have a USB or a PS/2 keyboard? I have heard people say that you need a PS/2 device rather than a USB device.
Do you have any extension cards which may make a difference, e.g. FireWire cards can be problematic I'm told?

I now have a duplicate G31M system to test these things out. It will become a Mythbox server eventually but it's fine for testing out these things without trashing my main desktop.

Thanks,

Rob.

sublimespot
08-03-2010, 04:21 AM
After upgrading my Rev1 mobo to 10.6.4 I lost sound and the built-in Ethernet. I have not been able to get either working... yet.

The strange thing about the Ethernet is this:

I can ping. I can get DHCP. but when I try to use any GUI program like a browser or well, anything, the network is down. I ran tcpdump and it was showing every packet with bad checksum. Not sure what is going on.

rspam
08-05-2010, 10:40 AM
After upgrading my Rev1 mobo to 10.6.4 I lost sound and the built-in Ethernet. I have not been able to get either working... yet.

The strange thing about the Ethernet is this:

I can ping. I can get DHCP. but when I try to use any GUI program like a browser or well, anything, the network is down. I ran tcpdump and it was showing every packet with bad checksum. Not sure what is going on.

I have had the same problem. I installed "SnowR1000", that helped.

rwillett
08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I found the on-board Rev 1.0 Ethernet card to be a little flaky over a long period of time. Perhaps after a week or two of non-stop use, it would then stop working. Disabling it and then re-enabling it sorted the problem out.

However that and the lack of the promiscuous mode (yes I know there are fixes for it), made me bite the bullet and put a PCI-E network card (Realtek based) in, which works well with no additional non-standard Kexts needed.

I hadn't realised PCI-E cards were so cheap and worked so well, mine cost me £6 (approx $9) and it's great, Bonjour works very well and I have even less non-standard software.

Of course your mileage may vary :)

Rob.

sublimespot
08-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Yeah I just bought the Netgear GA311 so the network issue is solved. Going to try to get sound working again..

EDIT:
Using AppleHDA.kext-10.6.4-ALC883.zip from http://www.mediafire.com/?khmky1qwzzz I have audio again

zim2dive
08-09-2010, 02:04 PM
I have audio, but next time I lose it, I may just use this USB audio adapter instead: http://www.meritline.com/usb-2-0-to-audio-adapter-w-mic-jack---p-27760.aspx .. $3 from meritline.

My issue now is that my hack no longer goes to sleep automatically. It will go to sleep fine if I tell it to, but if I forget it will stay on forever. This was working for me with 10.6.2 (maybe 10.6.3, but I'm not sure). I have the latest SleepEnabler. Was not using any special scripts when it was working, it just did (once I removed the DVD player)

ricky_kid
08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I feel obligated to post this.

For anyone having trouble getting the audio to work after the 10.6.3 update, I did find a fully working solution that has all features enabled, including front panel audio, microphone and line-in support.

1) You need the AppleHDA.kext file extracted from the 10.6.2 combo update that can be downloaded from Apple.com's downloads. You also need the LegacyALC883.kext from the ES2L Kit listed in the first post of this thread.

2) Use Pacifist to extract the AppleHDA.kext file from the 106.2 combo update from Apple. When browsing through the update, the file should be located in System/Library/Extensions.

3) Replace AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E on your own Hackintosh drive with this older version. Open Disk Utility and repair your permissions.

4) Put LegacyALC883.kext in your /Extras/Extensions folder (located in the root of your Hackintosh drive.) Use the pfix utility to repair the permissions on drive.

5) Restart and you should be golden.

**Be aware that I'm no expert on this. I'm guessing you'll also need a patched dsdt.aml file that's outline in the first post of this thread. I also doubt this fix will work with other models/brands of motherboards.)

I want to point out that my sound only worked with 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext without LegacyALC883.kext in /Extras/Extensions. I now have 10.6.4 fully working with sound and everything.

Edit: That is to say that LegacyALC883.kext actually broke the sound for me, so if you're having problems with the 10.6.2 kext, try it without LegacyALC883.kext.

rwillett
08-17-2010, 03:01 PM
I recently won a 64GB iPad, :) , and wanted to connect it up to my Hackintosh.

My iPods connect fine and it's never been an issue, so I assumed that the iPad would be just as easy, how wrong can I be.

I connected the iPad up using the supplied USB cable through an external powered hub. Nothing, I used a second powered hub, nothing. Power was coming through but iTunes would not recognise the iPad.

Check "About this Mac" and could see the iPad in the USB list, unplugged, plugged in, nothing.

I did see a number of messages in the Console about usbmuxd errors. Googling didn't help particularly :(

An Apple forum message suggested uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling. I also think that a reinstall is the last gasp of the desperate, but since I was no desparate I did it, lo and behold, I get a sync and I got a backup made in iTunes. Unplugged the iPad, plugged it back in, nothing, rebooted, nothing, changed USB slots to motherboard, numerous different hubs, different cables, back up Hackintosh (using Rev 2 motherboard), nothing, zilch, nada. I could see the iPad in the USB section of About this mac but couldn't get iTunes to recognise the iPad.

I then decided to uninstall iTunes again and reinstall again. No real reason, simply ran out of sensible ideas. The second reinstall (and nothing else changed) seemed to work and for the last week has synced with zero problems.

So one reinstall failed but two worked. This is weird, odd but seemed to work for me.

Rob.

ricky_kid
08-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Anyone install the Graphics Update? How did it go?

rwillett
08-21-2010, 07:58 PM
I did the graphics upgrade. Made no difference as I don't play games.

Rob

ricky_kid
08-21-2010, 11:41 PM
I did the graphics upgrade. Made no difference as I don't play games.

Rob

Everything worked fine tho? No trouble booting or anything? What video card are you using?

zooloo
09-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi all.

I have a stable 10.6.0 on my hackintosh (G31M-ES2L) ... I want to try out some games on Steam and according to the hardware/software reqs I need to be on 10.6.3 or later.

My 10.6.0 was not done using this guide, but rather one I found on insanelymac.... does this matter or do you clever people think the methods suggested in this thread will work to update my system to 10.6.4? :)

Also, another (possibly dumb) question .. if I was to go ahead with the update, is it best to download the stand alone combo updates from Apple or just use the software update from within OSX?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

cheers... zooloo

funkkube
09-02-2010, 10:56 PM
HI
I installed from a stick with MYHACK(latest version) on it from retail DVD.
Worked like a charm.
Updated to 10.6.4.. Working great.
9600gt gfx all good..ethernet good..
I cannot however get the sound to work..
Working ok on 10.5.8 but I guess I am doing something wrong..
Installed the 883 kext in the extra folder.. run kext utility and just to make sure pf fix.. rebooted no joy..
is the dsdt needed in the extra folder for sound to work?
I took the myhack one compiled it ok and stuck it in the extra folder but still no joy.. The myhack dsdt.aml file was created based on the same motherboard.
Can anyone help me please as I am getting frustrated!! :-(
Cheers in advance
Mat

blazingangel1986
09-06-2010, 09:20 PM
anybody have any idea how to go about installing snow leopard on this this board g31m-e2sl ?? graphic card is a PCIE ATI HD 4300 processor is an Intel Pentium D 3.00 ghz CPU (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27517)

ive attempted several times i always get a kernel panic or in one case a grey screen with nothing not even the mouse? im wondering if should take out the graphics card and give it a go with the onboard card? can i then later install the card without any issues

rwillett
09-15-2010, 09:24 PM
I suggest you read the first page of this thread, if you follow the instructions it does work. If it doesn't it's because you have deviated from the path.

I have used it to install on the V1 and V2 version of this motherboard. The onboard graphics cards will actually work, though only at 1280x1024 or 1024x800. Can't remember which one, but you will see a Mac desktop. Only then would I try and use your graphics card. No idea if your card will work, as never used it. I stuck to Asus 9400 and 9600 and they work out the box which is nice.

Rob.

rwillett
09-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Everything worked fine tho? No trouble booting or anything? What video card are you using?

Whoops,

Missed this reply. I use (or used until tonight) an Asus 9400GT. Works perfectly well for me with zero hassle. No messing around with nvcap or strings or any of that rubbish. No upgrade hassles at all, zero, zilch, null and nil.

As of tonight I have an Asus 9600GT Silent which also "just works". I unplugged my 9400GT, plugged in the 9600GT and it all "just worked". No changes.

Quartz works, hardware acceleration works, it's silent (no fans) and I'm happy. Is it the latest and greatest? No, but I use my Hack for work and I like it simple and easy.

Rob.

rwillett
09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi all.

I have a stable 10.6.0 on my hackintosh (G31M-ES2L) ... I want to try out some games on Steam and according to the hardware/software reqs I need to be on 10.6.3 or later.

My 10.6.0 was not done using this guide, but rather one I found on insanelymac.... does this matter or do you clever people think the methods suggested in this thread will work to update my system to 10.6.4? :)

Also, another (possibly dumb) question .. if I was to go ahead with the update, is it best to download the stand alone combo updates from Apple or just use the software update from within OSX?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

cheers... zooloo

The big issue with the upgrades is the Sleepenabler kext. I have never, ever got sleep to work and have tried everything in the 60 pages in this thread. I have even built a second identical system to test this out on (yes I'm mad, but it's still cheaper than a Mac Pro and I was annoyed) and cannot get sleep to ever work. So I pulled the sleepenabler.kext, rebuilt the system and upgraded to 10.6.4 with no problems.

AFAIK there are no differences between upgrading through standalones or direct downloads or through a dedicated Apple server. I run a Mac Mini with a fully legit copy of Snow Leopard Server on, and use that as my distribution point for mac upgrades. However I have used the combo upgrades in the past as well with no differences.

Rob

JShubert683
09-16-2010, 04:59 AM
to fix the sound takes some research but its EASY download the newest multibeast run it DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING BUT the AppleHDA 10.6.2 rollback install to a pfix reboot wala sound....

heckenschutze
09-17-2010, 07:05 PM
complete success. this thread alone was so in depth and precise. Thank you to everyone and what worked/didn't work for you.

i purchased all of the parts from Newegg, aside the a case, power supply and hard drive. Spent $407 total - 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Quad, Gigabyte G31m-ES2L Mobo, nVidia GeForce 9500GT, DVD-ROM & 8GB Flash Drive.

I am running 10.6.4 w/ Built-In Ethernet and Sound. Don't recall my exact ways of getting it to all work, but use that ethernet kext a few pages back, works wonders. I know I used the AppleHDA.kext but don't recall if I used the ALC883.kext or LegacyALC883.kext.

REMOVE sleepenabler.kext BEFORE using Software Update & upgrading to 10.6.4

So far my system is stable; been running for hours (i did turn off Sleep though) So far I have Final Cut Studio 3 installed and waiting for Avid Media Composer 5.0 - Should be interesting to see how my Hackintosh handles editing RED Cam & 5D Footage (if possible).

ARD works great as well :) can connect to my Hackintosh from my iMac at work using RealVNC.

Only issue I ran into early in my progress b4 10.6.4 update was a system freeze when trying to boot up after installing the AppleHDA.kext file using KextHelper. (I didn't repair permissions b4 my restart which I think was the issue, I tried to boot into the OSX Installer via USB Drive & repair that way, but no dice, I had to reinstall). After that, I ran Disk Utility>Repair Permissions & the pfix from the myHack collection everytime I installed new kexts.

O and this is my first official Hackintosh; I've been running Leopard in VMWare from my Windows 7 machine for some time; but just couldn't use any software and it was rather slow.

Happy Hacking!

yys2000
09-19-2010, 12:38 AM
HI
I installed from a stick with MYHACK(latest version) on it from retail DVD.
Worked like a charm.
Updated to 10.6.4.. Working great.
9600gt gfx all good..ethernet good..
I cannot however get the sound to work..
Working ok on 10.5.8 but I guess I am doing something wrong..
Installed the 883 kext in the extra folder.. run kext utility and just to make sure pf fix.. rebooted no joy..
is the dsdt needed in the extra folder for sound to work?
I took the myhack one compiled it ok and stuck it in the extra folder but still no joy.. The myhack dsdt.aml file was created based on the same motherboard.
Can anyone help me please as I am getting frustrated!! :-(
Cheers in advance
Mat

Please post your hardware config, such as video card,etc.:D

heckenschutze
09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
My Specs:

G31M-ES2L Motherboard
nVidia GeForce 9500GT PCI-e GPU
4GB DDR2 800 Memory
200GB SATA II Hard Drive
DVD-ROM
Onboard Sound w/ VoodooHDA kext
Onboard Ethernet w/ AR8131 kext
Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Avid Media Composer 5.0
Final Cut Studio 3
MPEG Streamclip
Handbrake

I was using the LegacyALC883 & AppleHDA kexts but they kept crashing my Avid due to "failed to initialize audio hardware", but I found the VoodooHDA kext, tried it and BAM! works great plus it gives me the port selection in Audio Options

My system has been running stable for 3 Days about 4-8hrs per day. Haven't had a chance to test Avid & Final Cut, but hopefully I will this week sometime. I'll be running some RED Cam Footage and 5D Footage to test and see how it handles on the Hack Pro.

zcream
09-25-2010, 01:33 PM
I installed Chameleon and General Extensions using Netbook Installer in order to upgrade to 10.6.4 (I dont know why I thought 10.6.4 might be a problem).

Now I get a crash while booting. I did not backup my /Extra folder.
Could someone please put up a zipped copy of their Extra folder ? I have the ES2L with the AtherosL1C ethernet.

My system crashed on the HPET error if thats important.

cdoublejj
09-25-2010, 09:27 PM
How do i do this with out another mac. I have an iso with kexts/hacks but, it just asks me to reboot after install cause there is something wrong. My question is how do i do this with out a Mac. and will be able to get updates from Mac. Do you have to inter a key after/during install like windows?

I might mention i plan installing on the gigabyte G31M-ES2L on quad boot with XP, 7, and Ubuntu 9.10.
oh there is a kext out for the network on later revisions of the G31M-ES2L mine being one.

jofmatos
10-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Guys, I know its annoying to be repetitive, but I cant situate in what situation this thread is... I just bought this board, rev 2.0, installed retail 1.6.0 with iBoot, and then upgreaded with multibeast 1.6.4, with voodooHDA + voodooPS2, and with kext helper I tried AtherosL1cEthernet from 4shared that Ive found... and NOTHING works! Only my geforce 8400gs. I cant even turn off my computer... and as I read, 10.6.4 doesnt seems to be compatible with 10.6.2 kexts. I mean, i am very confused, can anyone help me out?

Greetings from Brazil!

rwillett
10-07-2010, 05:38 PM
You are mixing up multiple installation methods, therefore chaos will ensue.

I have a Release 1 board and a Release 2 board. Both work with the guide at the front of this thread. The guide at the front doesn't talk about iBoot or Multiboot, so don't use them here. Start at the beginning and work through the first post in this thread. It does work as I have done it on a number of occasions.

If you want any help, start at the first post, download the various files in the links and work your way through each step in order. if you find yourself stuck on a particular step, then ask for help. But do follow the steps in the first post. You do not need to look at any other post to get the OS installed.

Things you need to know:

1. State exactly what you have done to get it working based on the steps in the first post. Do not mix kexts up from other installation methods and hope it will work, it may but then again it may not and nobody has any idea what state your install is now in. I repeat the install instructions do work for both revisions of the G31M-ESL board. The more information you give, the more chance of somebody helping you. Whining doesn't help.

2. Ignore peripheral issues like sound and graphics, get a base install working first. You say you have the R2 release board therefore you will NOT get ethernet working on the MB, disable it in the bios and get a supported ethernet card. I have ethernet cards that work in the PCI slot and the PCI-E slot. The Ethernet cards are cheap $5-$15 range. You're saving hundreds of dollars on a mac, get a supported ethernet card and don't try to get some obscure manufacturer to work.

2. Sleep is a major pain and I have never got it to work. I remove the sleepenabler.kext and you will need to remove it to get the updates to work. Do not do updates until you have a stable system, if it's not stable for 10.6.0 it will NOT be stable at 10.6.4.

3. Sound can be a pain on both R1 and R2 boards, I use an external USB sound card, the iMic to get around this problem.

So go to step 1 on the first post, download the files and work your way through it line by line. When you don't understand ask, but as many people will state, the instructions do work.

[Edited to update information]

zim2dive
10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Guys, I know its annoying to be repetitive, but I cant situate in what situation this thread is... I just bought this board, rev 2.0, installed retail 1.6.0 with iBoot, and then upgreaded with multibeast 1.6.4, with voodooHDA + voodooPS2, and with kext helper I tried AtherosL1cEthernet from 4shared that Ive found... and NOTHING works! Only my geforce 8400gs. I cant even turn off my computer... and as I read, 10.6.4 doesnt seems to be compatible with 10.6.2 kexts. I mean, i am very confused, can anyone help me out?

Greetings from Brazil!

If you want help from this thread, you might want to use the method FROM this thread, post #1.

naujoks
10-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Just a bit of good news (for me):
I managed to get everything to work just perfectly -

- Sleep
- Graphics (out of box with Geforce 8800GT)
- CPU E5300
- Installed on IDE disk (not SATA)
- Dual Boot with Windows
- Sound (using VoodooHDA)
- Ethernet (using the Atheros driver floating about here somewhere)
- Snow Leopard 10.6.4 32 bit

The only thing which I don't like is that the fonts on my TFT screen look decidedly blurry compared to the Windows 7 fonts (the screen IS running at its native 1280x1024 resolution!). Under XP I'd probably run something like Clearview. Is there a similar kind of thing for Macs?

Otherwise very very happy!

jofmatos
10-08-2010, 08:33 PM
did you try to change the refresh rate?
and how's your mic going, working?

congrats, man! :)

naujoks
10-08-2010, 10:18 PM
I've just read something about trying to change the font smoothing setting under Appearance. That might help. I'll try that. Refresh rate untouched so far.

Haven't tried mic, but I have not needed one in all my life (counting 40 years so far), so I'm not worried about it...

rudypooch
10-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Hey guys, thanks for making this guide. I need a little help though. I am using a G31M-ES2L trying to install from a retail copy of SL 10.6.3 that is mounted on a USB-HDD. I am using an E3300 which the BIOS reads as 1.8Ghz for some reason, not 2.5Ghz. In any case, my issue is that I am getting stuck at the "Preparing Installation" screen. The bar just keeps moving. I can access Utilities and such, but I can't chose a destination to install. Also the options I had during the myHack bit (under customize) were different than the options presented on the first page, I checked everything that was listed that I could. Please assist. Thanks!

zim2dive
10-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey guys, thanks for making this guide. I need a little help though. I am using a G31M-ES2L trying to install from a retail copy of SL 10.6.3 that is mounted on a USB-HDD. I am using an E3300 which the BIOS reads as 1.8Ghz for some reason, not 2.5Ghz. In any case, my issue is that I am getting stuck at the "Preparing Installation" screen. The bar just keeps moving. I can access Utilities and such, but I can't chose a destination to install. Also the options I had during the myHack bit (under customize) were different than the options presented on the first page, I checked everything that was listed that I could. Please assist. Thanks!

you may need to manually set the clock multipliers in BIOS.

zim2dive
10-19-2010, 04:43 PM
has anyone tried this version of FakeSMC?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234452

maybe we'd finally have better temperature reporting.

And has anyone ever gotten the fans to do anything but run at max?

simsim
10-19-2010, 11:17 PM
For those who are looking for a replacement for G31M-ES2L....

One morning my motherboard was dead, fans spinning but black screen, no bios, nothing.
After trying a bunch of stuff I decided to get a new board.
I got the GA-G41M-ES2L ver. 1.1
It booted with my hard drive I had set up for the g31m (10.6.4).

Only thing missing was sound. I fixed that by running AzaliaAudio.pkg from this thread at insanelymac:

Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G41M-ES2L (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209359)

The board look very similar, although my g31 board had nicer, golden heatsinks :-)

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5098/gigabyteq.jpg

dooododoo
11-02-2010, 06:24 AM
I decided to do a complete reinstall of SL and update to 10.6.4. I have had my system running 10.6.1 vanilla perfectly (except auto sleep) in 64 bit following the OP's directions.

This time I used MultiBeast to install SL. I left the <string> for "Kernel Flags" blank in my Boot.plist (as I did before) to boot in 64-bit, but after the Apple logo screen with the circling chasing bars, I never get to the desktop, but instead, I freeze on a blank blue screen. But when I put in "-x32" on the Chameleon screen, I am able to boot into the desktop.

When I type in "ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi" in Terminal, I get ""firmware-abi" = <"EFI64">." So I should be able to boot in 64-bit mode.

How come a system that ran in 64-bit mode under 10.6.1, will not run in 64-bit mode under 10.6.4? I tried using the same boot file, smbios.plist, boot.plist, fakesmc, and much more to get it to work under 64-bit mode.

GTR-33
11-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Updated from 10.6.0 to 10.6.4 Everything works as it did before except sound. Xbench score went up from 147 to 159 including disc tests and seems faster. Perhaps It wasn't running 64bit before and now is? Is there an easy check for this?

Rev 2 board
E6300 2.8
9400 GT QE/CI working out the box. I think this card has native drivers. It's always worked for me and is a decent low end card. 9500 GT IIRC is also native and is a better card.
2GB DDR2 800

edit: tried the azaliaaudio patch above and it worked great. Audio is working again. Make sure you don't have any other kexts loading at the same time or it won't work.

shadowro
11-06-2010, 03:31 AM
any1 know if this Asus ENGT220 videocard works in our configs?
here to buy (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121404&cm_re=engt220-_-14-121-404-_-Product)
thx

webplus
11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I've got Snow Leopard 10.6.4 completely working on the Gigabyte G31M-ES2L (have rev 1 and 2 boards).

If anyone is having Sleep problems, make sure you have the latest SleepEnabler.kext in your Extra/Extensions folder, and it seems that a 'compatible' graphics card (i.e. NVidia or ATI) may be the key to getting sleep to work. I tried to get sleep working on an ASRock mobo, as well as both Gigabyte mobos (Snow Leopard) using the onboard graphics and they would never sleep (same may be true for incompatible graphics cards).

I put a PNY NVidia GeForce 9400 GT into the rev 1 and sleep worked. I put a PNY NVidia GeForce 8400 GS into the rev 2 and sleep worked. I also tried the 9400 in the ASRock mobo - and sleep worked. I'm using the EFI String (via OSX86Tools) for the appropriate graphics card in the system's com.apple.Boot.plist (Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration). I tried the NVEnabler kext before using the EFI String and initially it worked, but then broke after updating the SleepEnable.kext, so for me, the EFI String option has worked best for sleep and graphics. I've been using that method on my rev 1 mobo all year and never had a single problem - and sleep has always worked 100% (with updated SleepEnabler.kexts).

For audio problems, try AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (goes into System/Library/Extensions via 'Kext Helper b7'). I've tried other audio kexts but had problems with them (i.e. audio distortion after sleep), so AAA kext has worked brilliantly for me on 4 different mobos (both Leopard and Snow Leopard) over the last 18 months.

DmitryAE
11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi!

Did anyone update to 10.6.5??? No problems?

Thanks

lokigfx
11-15-2010, 10:25 PM
I've performed an update to 10.6.5 and all works apart from sound.

I tried couple of things, such as:
http://www.dailyblogged.com/updating-to-snow-leopard-10-6-5/
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately no luck with sound.
If anyone has worked out the sound for the 10.6.5, any help would be appreciated :)

dooododoo
11-18-2010, 09:17 PM
I put AtherosL1cEthernet.kext in my Extensions folder for LAN success on v2 boards. After doing this I lost sound and have to boot with -f EVERY TIME in order to get the system to boot. grr. Also this v2 board has random crashes quite a bit. My v1 board is rock solid.

I had the same problem. Delete the atherosl1cthernet.kext in E/E and put one in S/L/E, run Kext Utility, and reboot.

It's strange because people with the rev2 board have it in the E/E and it works for them.

andymodem
11-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Updated today to 10.6.5.

Removed 10.6.4 Sleepenabler, installed 10.6.5, rebooted and installed 10.6.5 Sleepenabler, and ran the 10.6.2 AppleHDA installer. Everything is working great here.

disco monkey
12-03-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm having a hard time with this update.
I removed 10.6.4 sleepnabler. Update to 10.6.5.
Reboot and it only lets me boot in 32bit. 64bit results in a blue screen.
Install the audio fix and 10.6.5 sleepenabler and run pfix.
Reboot in 32bit works perfect. 64bit results in a kernel panic.

has anyone else been able to boot 10.6.5 in 64bit?

Chk
12-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Good evening,
I am entitled to a kernel panic, I booted into arch = i386 and-x and-v arch = i386, no success for the three combination.

http://front1.monsterup.com/upload/1292097738754.jpg (http://front1.monsterup.com/upload/1292097738754.jpg)
http://front1.monsterup.com/upload/129209773975.jpg (http://front1.monsterup.com/upload/129209773975.jpg)
http://front1.monsterup.com/upload/1292102975695.jpg
I use this version of Snow Leopard: Mac-OS-X-10.6-Snow-Leopard-Final-Retail--ISO-BOOTABLE

Here's my setup:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
Graphics Card: Nvidia 9600 GSO 512 1GB Palit

ropuri
12-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I have OS X 10.6.4 Installed and fully functional on my G41-ES2L Board using the instructions on :
http://osx86.co/f19/guide-retail-snow-leopard-dvd-install-for-g41m-t5351/

I also have Windows 7 Installed on a separate HD on the same box, but when I boot up using OS X as the primary Disk, the Boot loader does not show the Windows Partition when I click any key on bootup..

I can boot to the Windows partition using the Bios and switching to the Windows partition but would like to have the option of Windows showing up in the OS X Boot loader..

Any help is appreciated ?

bobble666
12-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm having a hard time with this update.
I removed 10.6.4 sleepnabler. Update to 10.6.5.
Reboot and it only lets me boot in 32bit. 64bit results in a blue screen.
Install the audio fix and 10.6.5 sleepenabler and run pfix.
Reboot in 32bit works perfect. 64bit results in a kernel panic.

has anyone else been able to boot 10.6.5 in 64bit?
I managed to run the update with zero issues; run a v2.0 board, 2 x 2gb Corsair ram, 2.8ghz chip, external usb sound card, 8600 gfx

also got the onbard NIC kext that was posted on insanely mac recently so can report 100% works - can't comment on any elses (I guess it depends on your kexts, etc.)

zim2dive
12-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I've performed an update to 10.6.5 and all works apart from sound.

I tried couple of things, such as:
http://www.dailyblogged.com/updating-to-snow-leopard-10-6-5/
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately no luck with sound.
If anyone has worked out the sound for the 10.6.5, any help would be appreciated :)

Update for me went smoothly.. removed Sleepenabler, ran ket util, downloaded the 10.6.5 update + audio + new sleep enabler as per the 1st link.. ran the update, rebooted, installed sleep enabler + audio, ran kext util, rebooted again.

I noticed that my CPU clock multiplier had again been reset.. I have a 2.5GHz E5200 that I was running on a mild overclock, but the mult value was reset to 2.3GHz.. not sure why that happens?

Also not going to sleep.. the display will sleep, but the machine will not auto-sleep. I don't have an internal DVD (external USB, usually powered off). It will sleep just fine if I put it to sleep thru the menu. I don't think auto-sleep has worked for me since 10.6.2, or roughly thereabouts. Even thru the menu it takes ~20 seconds to sleep after I tell it to.

alltoorobot
12-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Update for me went smoothly.. removed Sleepenabler, ran ket util, downloaded the 10.6.5 update + audio + new sleep enabler as per the 1st link.. ran the update, rebooted, installed sleep enabler + audio, ran kext util, rebooted again.

I noticed that my CPU clock multiplier had again been reset.. I have a 2.5GHz E5200 that I was running on a mild overclock, but the mult value was reset to 2.3GHz.. not sure why that happens?

Also not going to sleep.. the display will sleep, but the machine will not auto-sleep. I don't have an internal DVD (external USB, usually powered off). It will sleep just fine if I put it to sleep thru the menu. I don't think auto-sleep has worked for me since 10.6.2, or roughly thereabouts. Even thru the menu it takes ~20 seconds to sleep after I tell it to.

Hey zim2dive,
Long time no see. You helped me with my OC a long time ago. I'm still on the same set up for now. I just lost my overclock and I looked up your old settings. Wondering what you have done to your system lately. I can't upgrade easily since I run a dual monitor setup with dvi-vga and a dvi-hdmi. Updates always seam to break these.

I saw you mention fakesmc a little while ago. Have you had any luck with reading temps? If so could you post your fakesmc your using? Im also looking to push the OC a bit more if possible maybe open up the ram mhz too. What do you think? Ive heard our board is a bit limited on OC ability.

Im looking to update to a core i7 for video editing. I want at least 12g of ram !
Any suggestions any one? Im also looking to keep it under 600 if possible :-)

good to see this thread alive and well, ill read through more of the updates when I get a chance.

zim2dive
12-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey zim2dive,
Long time no see. You helped me with my OC a long time ago. I'm still on the same set up for now. I just lost my overclock and I looked up your old settings. Wondering what you have done to your system lately. I can't upgrade easily since I run a dual monitor setup with dvi-vga and a dvi-hdmi. Updates always seam to break these.

I saw you mention fakesmc a little while ago. Have you had any luck with reading temps? If so could you post your fakesmc your using? Im also looking to push the OC a bit more if possible maybe open up the ram mhz too. What do you think? Ive heard our board is a bit limited on OC ability.

Im looking to update to a core i7 for video editing. I want at least 12g of ram !
Any suggestions any one? Im also looking to keep it under 600 if possible :-)

good to see this thread alive and well, ill read through more of the updates when I get a chance.

Short version on OC.. I had been using my settings from http://osx86.co/f57/guide-retail-snow-leopard-dvd-install-for-g31m-t3672/post41881.html but now, I can't get CPU Host Clock Control to stay "on".. ie. I go to the settings.. get all set up for 3GHz, save to BIOS, and it reboots and shows the values with the Host Freq back down to 200MHz.. so no dice.

For FakeSMC, I just tried every version I could find... encountering KPs and/or a machine that would not reboot, finally settling on Fake SMC 454 and IntelThermal from http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1643... put these in E/E....and now I have temps AND auto-sleep.

Sorry, can't recommend anything i7.. I haven't really paid much attention to what the easiest socket-1156 hackintosh is.. our G31M had to be one of the best for our socket.

EDIT: I added the SuperIO and ACPI plugins from the same page. I can see fan speed, but not clear to me that any contol is happening yet.
EDIT2: I lost audio somewhere in the above (had it initially after 10.6.5 upgrade). F-it... rather than fight it, I had a $2 USB audio stick laying around.. I plugged that in and will use that instead.

zim2dive
12-30-2010, 10:01 PM
I got my OC back... I reset the CMOS (jumper) (taking pics of all my settings 1st) and replaced the CMOS battery (even tho it showed a proper voltage).

Currently running with
CPU 11.5x (2.875 GHz)
CPU Host clock enabled
CPU Host freq 250
PCI freq 100
SPD 2.66
Sys Volt Auto

If I understand what I'm doing (and that's not a given) this puts memory at its default freq, but changes the base freq so there is more upside for the CPU multiplier. In theory it could go up to 3.125 GHz (with 12.5X). I'll run with 2.875 for now and verify that it sticks for a while.

davidy123
01-03-2011, 07:22 AM
I've just completed my first install and upgrade on some old HW I have for a HTPC. On-board sound (both "internal speakers" and optical digital audio), on-board network, and sleep (both manual and automatic with wake from sleep) all work. Only thing I couldn't get is 64-bit.

1) Installed by followed all instructions in post #1.
2) Remove SleepEnabler.kext from E/E.
3) Followed steps 1-8 here: http://www.dailyblogged.com/updating-to-snow-leopard-10-6-5/ (from post #688; thanks lokigfx), except I had to use a different version of Apple HDA.kext (http://www.mediafire.com/?khmky1qwzzz; from port #654; thanks sublimespot). FYI - AppleHDA.kext goes in S/L/E, not E/E. (Yes, I'm a noob.)
4) Installed the 10.6.5 SleepEnabler.kext (I can't find the link right now but it is easy to find).

Lots of repairing permissions, pfix, reboots, etc. are implied. I did run into some trouble with network and sleep working but that went away after a bunch of reboots.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting 64-bit working again? It broke before I applied the 10.6.5 SleepEnabler.

My setup:
G31M-ES2L (I think rev. 2) w/ digital audio
E7400 2.80
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 PC2-6400
Gigabyte GeForce 7200GS 256MB
BTW211 Bluetooth adapter
Twisted Mellon IR receiver

Thanks to everyone who has come before and made this possible.

Keyno
01-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Hmm, does someone of you have a second sata hdd?
Well, I have one and it is very very slow, someone knows why?
After a bit googling I found this thread: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564
But I just don't get it to work for me...

my config:
G31M-ES2L rev. 1.0
E7500 @ 2,93GHz
2x 2GB Kingston ValueRAM 800MHz
SSD OCZ Agility 2 40GB - Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on it
HDD Samsung Spinpoint F2 500 GB - all data (music, photos...) and Snow 10.6.5 as backup on it

At anyway my iTunes needs about 5 seconds to load a song, which is just amazingly slow...
XBench just shows exactly that. about 0.5MB/s in read???
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7020/1294355907336.png

So I tried patching my DSDT, I already built it several times with different compilers, but always the same...
Could someone please take a look on that or tell me his experience for a second sata drive? Attached there is my DSDT.dsl.

Otherwise, thank you very much for your guide, I just got everything working instead of sleep (no enabler works for me in 64bit, but in 32bit the AppleHDA won't work anymore...) and my slow sata drive :(

Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is not the best ;)

cyrusthevirus
01-07-2011, 10:38 PM
anyone try out 10.6.6?

Keyno
01-07-2011, 11:45 PM
anyone try out 10.6.6?

Yep, works like a charm, no changes needed for anything, everything worked perfectly for me.
Only my post before is still a problem, I'll try some kext's now.

disco monkey
01-08-2011, 12:16 AM
I couldn't get 10.6.5 to work in 64bit so I did a fresh install of 10.6.0 and updated to 10.6.6 64bit without any problems. I haven't tried putting sleepenabler back in yet, but everything else seems to be working great.

edit:
used 10.6.5 sleepenabler from http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/issues/detail?id=4

added kernel flag pmVersion=21 to com.apple.Boot.plist

everything works

rwillett
01-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Keyno, I have two 1.5 TB Samsung Spinpoint Green disks. The only problem I had is recognising a 1.5TB partition in the EFI loaded. I simply split the disk down. The second 1.5TB disk is used for Time Machine, no issues with speed, no issues with install. Just connected a SATA cable and plugged it into a SATA slot. I didn't do any special installs or mods at all, my base OS X is very, very, very standard. Hmm, does someone of you have a second sata hdd?
Well, I have one and it is very very slow, someone knows why?
After a bit googling I found this thread: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564
But I just don't get it to work for me...

my config:
G31M-ES2L rev. 1.0
E7500 @ 2,93GHz
2x 2GB Kingston ValueRAM 800MHz
SSD OCZ Agility 2 40GB - Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on it
HDD Samsung Spinpoint F2 500 GB - all data (music, photos...) and Snow 10.6.5 as backup on it

At anyway my iTunes needs about 5 seconds to load a song, which is just amazingly slow...
XBench just shows exactly that. about 0.5MB/s in read???
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7020/1294355907336.png

So I tried patching my DSDT, I already built it several times with different compilers, but always the same...
Could someone please take a look on that or tell me his experience for a second sata drive? Attached there is my DSDT.dsl.

Otherwise, thank you very much for your guide, I just got everything working instead of sleep (no enabler works for me in 64bit, but in 32bit the AppleHDA won't work anymore...) and my slow sata drive :(

Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is not the best ;)

cyrusthevirus
01-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Could someone please post their Extras folder for 10.6.6 please? Im sure it would help a lot of the others too since there are very few threads on others sites for this motherboard too.
Thanks

Edit: Updated and everything works except for sleep

cyrusthevirus
01-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I couldn't get 10.6.5 to work in 64bit so I did a fresh install of 10.6.0 and updated to 10.6.6 64bit without any problems. I haven't tried putting sleepenabler back in yet, but everything else seems to be working great.

edit:
used 10.6.5 sleepenabler from http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/issues/detail?id=4

added kernel flag pmVersion=21 to com.apple.Boot.plist

everything works
Did you manage to get sleep working with that sleepenabler? I cant seem to get it working, I dont get KP's, everything works except for sleep.

disco monkey
01-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Did you manage to get sleep working with that sleepenabler? I cant seem to get it working, I dont get KP's, everything works except for sleep.

yes, sleep works just fine. I can put it to sleep and it also goes to sleep on it's own with the timer. It wakes up with everything working.
In the sys preferences I have everything checked under Energy Saver.

I have a ver.1 board. The only kexts in E/E are fakesmc, legacyalc883, nullcpupowermanagement & sleepenabler.

benniepooh
01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I could not get my g31m to wake up from sleep. It just reboots when I wake it up. Everything else works fine with 10.6.6. I'm in 32-bit mode.

Here is a list of kexts that I have loaded:

$ kextstat|grep -v "com.apple"
Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) <Linked Against>
16 0 0x4ef3d000 0x2000 0x1000 org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement (1.0.0d2) <7 4 3>
17 0 0x54f45000 0x2000 0x1000 sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler (10.5.0) <7 4 3>
32 0 0x55385000 0x4000 0x3000 org.netkas.fakesmc (2) <13 7 4 3>
64 0 0x5b8be000 0x21000 0x20000 com.lnx2mac.driver.RealtekRTL81xx (0.0.67) <63 14 5 4 3 1>
85 0 0x5b96b000 0x22000 0x21000 org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA (0.2.1) <78 14 7 5 4 3 1>
97 0 0x5b549000 0x3000 0x2000 com.evosx86.driver.lspcidrv (1.0) <4 3>

How does it compare to yours?
Thanks

cyrusthevirus
01-09-2011, 04:33 PM
@disco monkey, could you please post your Extras folder since I cant get sleep to work either, it doesnt wake up from sleep. Also, are you in 64 bit?

andymodem
01-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Updated 10.6.6 sleepenabler located here: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/

cyrusthevirus
01-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Updated 10.6.6 sleepenabler located here: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/

Doesnt work under 64bit, causes KP's, but it does work for 32bit. Maybe just the conversion is needed?

benniepooh
01-10-2011, 03:41 AM
Got sleep working. I removed sleepEnabler and NullCpuPM kext and used the dsdt in the g31m kit posted elsewhere. Here is what my com.apple.Boot.plist looks like:

<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386 pmVersion=21 PCIRootUID=1</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1400x1050x16</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>bootcamp</string>
</dict>

I installed the RC5 version of chameleon 2 from iBoot 3.0.3, and had to check all the boxes in the Energy Saver.

With sleep working, the crappy VodooHDA had to go. Following a wake-up it would creek and distort. I ended up using a Taruga alc883 driver, found elsewhere. The alc883_add0_AppleHDA is the version that worked for me. I had to get rid of alcinjector and all other alc88x kexts, like the legacy one in /E/E/. The Turaga alc883 works great.

Also, for the network driver I'm using lnx2mac driver. Works great and it's fast.

So now the only kext in my E/E is the fakesmc. Here is the list of non apple kext on my system:

$ kextstat |grep -v apple
Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) <Linked Against>
31 0 0x55375000 0x4000 0x3000 org.netkas.fakesmc (2) <13 7 4 3>
70 0 0x5b8f7000 0x21000 0x20000 com.lnx2mac.driver.RealtekRTL81xx (0.0.67) <69 14 5 4 3 1>
98 0 0x5b66c000 0x3000 0x2000 com.evosx86.driver.lspcidrv (1.0) <4 3>

Nice clean setup.

disco monkey
01-10-2011, 04:31 AM
@disco monkey, could you please post your Extras folder since I cant get sleep to work either, it doesnt wake up from sleep. Also, are you in 64 bit?
yes it's in 64bit.
here's my Extra folder
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EDAMWZ4Z

cyrusthevirus
01-10-2011, 05:27 PM
yes it's in 64bit.
here's my Extra folder

Thanks Disco Monkey, I can confirm that the SleepEnabler included in that link does work under 64bit. Although I didnt delete any kexts other than SleepEnabler.

scott202
01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Guys

I've spent an already unhealthy amount of time on this so I thought it was time to ask for some help :P

I'm using the Rev 2 version of the G31M and as of yet have only managed to get 2.0 PCM out of my SPDIF optical out on 10.6.6 using VoodooHDA.

Would anybody with working digital out please upload their audio kexts (and dsdt edits) if needed so I can get this damn thing to work!

Many thanks in advance,
Scott.

zim2dive
01-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Got sleep working. I removed sleepEnabler and NullCpuPM kext and used the dsdt in the g31m kit posted elsewhere. Here is what my com.apple.Boot.plist looks like:

can you post a link to this? Which rev mobo do you have (1 or 2) ?

I've been seeing several reports of ppl saying they were sleeping without SleepEnabler, but even tho I'd run the dsdt tools, I'm not having any luck getting rid of SE.

I can report that I had the digital audio out working (simply with the 10.6.2 AppleHDA kext). I'm in the middle of reshuffling machines in the house.. moving the hackintosh to be my HTPC (in place of the linux box I've been using), b/c there is no Netflix for linux :( Actually makes more sense to have the Mac there.. altho it makes it a little less convenient for non-HTPC use... can always use VNC too, I suppose :)

So I'm at 10.6.6.. just looking to slim down the E/E folder if possible.

benniepooh
01-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Here is a link to a working dsdt for G31m-es2l rev 1.1:

http://www.filedropper.com/dsdtv2soundlegacy

I used the LegacyALC883.kext and AppleHDA from 10.6.4 since that results in zero driver reported errors. Like I said, no sleepenabler or nullcpupm, and *everything* in both 64-bit and 32-bit modes flawlessly.

Here is what's in my boot.plist:

<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>

rwillett
01-18-2011, 10:57 PM
I've had my Hackintosh working through this thread for some time, probably a year by now, and have no real issues with it. Firewire works, sound is through an iMic USB connector, Ethernet is a PCI Realtek card and I use a silent Asus 9400GT card. It's a nice quiet quad core system that I don't really tinker with as I use it day in day out.

The only problem I've has is getting sleep to actually work, as far as I can see I have never got sleep to work in 10.6.2,10.6.3,10.6.4,10.6.5 and now 10.6.6.

I have tried numerous sleepenablers, DVD's in drive's, anything and everything, even going to the expense of building a new identical system just to try things out.

I have installed the latest 10.6.x sleepenabler, added the pmVersion=21 to com.boot.apple.plist and tried setting things in the System Preferences.

I set the monitor to two mins and the computer sleep to two mins and have ticked the four checkboxes underneath "Put the hard disks to sleep when possible", "Wake for Ethernet access", "Allow power button to put computer to sleep" and "start up automatically after a power failure".

After two mins of inactivity the screen goes blank and I need to waggle the mouse to get it to come back.

So how do I know the system hasn't gone to sleep in this time as well and it's got an instantaneous startup (which is possible). Should CPU fans spin down? should all the power lights on the box go off? Since the screen's gone I can't see anything happening there. Should there be console messages? I know this sounds a bit lame (and a dumb question), but any help would be great here.

Thanks,

Rob.

Keyno
01-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Keyno, I have two 1.5 TB Samsung Spinpoint Green disks. The only problem I had is recognising a 1.5TB partition in the EFI loaded. I simply split the disk down. The second 1.5TB disk is used for Time Machine, no issues with speed, no issues with install. Just connected a SATA cable and plugged it into a SATA slot. I didn't do any special installs or mods at all, my base OS X is very, very, very standard.

Sorry for the late answer... I didn't look in here at anyway... just forgot that :D
Well, I just experienced the same thing - that SATA is not the reason, the HDD was slow.
No - it was because the HDD was FAT formatted. I think OS X can't use those HDDs as good as HFS+ formatted HDDs. So, I just formatted it in HFS+ and works exactly as I wanted it to do =)
Now my iTunes Library also starts within some seconds. Nice :)

And thank you very much for your answer! :)

Edit:
Just tried the SleepEnabler etc. from this topic. Now Sleep also works for me. Very nice :) Thank you disco monkey and all others!

rwillett
01-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Good, glad thats worked.

I would have been surprised if SATA was your problem, though little puzzled by FAT being so slow. It's not that robust a filesystem but it's not normally a slow pig.

Anyway, problem solved so thats great.

Rob. Sorry for the late answer... I didn't look in here at anyway... just forgot that :D
Well, I just experienced the same thing - that SATA is not the reason, the HDD was slow.
No - it was because the HDD was FAT formatted. I think OS X can't use those HDDs as good as HFS+ formatted HDDs. So, I just formatted it in HFS+ and works exactly as I wanted it to do =)
Now my iTunes Library also starts within some seconds. Nice :)

And thank you very much for your answer! :)

Edit:
Just tried the SleepEnabler etc. from this topic. Now Sleep also works for me. Very nice :) Thank you disco monkey and all others!

rwillett
01-19-2011, 10:28 PM
I know it's bad form to quote your own submission but in this case I'll make an exception as I finally appear to have automatic sleep working, which is pretty damm pleasing :)

The one hassle I have on my desktop is the lack of automatic sleep through the Energy Save in the System Settings. It has never worked and I know many people seem to have had the same problem.

Many months ago, somebody stated they used PleaseSleep to make this work, it never worked for me so I gave up. I have just tried it again and it does work. I set the Energy Settings to one minute and after one minute the machine goes to sleep. Lights go off, fans stop working and my machine is asleep. There are no dvd's in the drive, no other hacks.

The sleepenabler is the one for 10.6.x from Google with voorflags set in /Extra/com.boot.apple.plist.

The last thing is that it will not awake from keyboard or mouse, I need to bend over and press the power switch. This I will live with.

Yours,

Rob.
I've had my Hackintosh working through this thread for some time, probably a year by now, and have no real issues with it. Firewire works, sound is through an iMic USB connector, Ethernet is a PCI Realtek card and I use a silent Asus 9400GT card. It's a nice quiet quad core system that I don't really tinker with as I use it day in day out.

The only problem I've has is getting sleep to actually work, as far as I can see I have never got sleep to work in 10.6.2,10.6.3,10.6.4,10.6.5 and now 10.6.6.

I have tried numerous sleepenablers, DVD's in drive's, anything and everything, even going to the expense of building a new identical system just to try things out.

I have installed the latest 10.6.x sleepenabler, added the pmVersion=21 to com.boot.apple.plist and tried setting things in the System Preferences.

I set the monitor to two mins and the computer sleep to two mins and have ticked the four checkboxes underneath "Put the hard disks to sleep when possible", "Wake for Ethernet access", "Allow power button to put computer to sleep" and "start up automatically after a power failure".

After two mins of inactivity the screen goes blank and I need to waggle the mouse to get it to come back.

So how do I know the system hasn't gone to sleep in this time as well and it's got an instantaneous startup (which is possible). Should CPU fans spin down? should all the power lights on the box go off? Since the screen's gone I can't see anything happening there. Should there be console messages? I know this sounds a bit lame (and a dumb question), but any help would be great here.

Thanks,

Rob.

zim2dive
01-20-2011, 02:30 PM
I know it's bad form to quote your own submission but in this case I'll make an exception as I finally appear to have automatic sleep working, which is pretty damm pleasing :)

The one hassle I have on my desktop is the lack of automatic sleep through the Energy Save in the System Settings. It has never worked and I know many people seem to have had the same problem.

sorry for the late response

a) you know your system is sleeping b/c you can hear the @#%@#% fan (if you have one plugged in to you mobo sysfan) stop
b) I posted back ~15 posts ago that I also had trouble for a long time, and *for me*, the difference to getting sleep to work (with SleepEnabler) was the choice of which fakesmc I used. I'm not smart enough to explain why it made a difference.. but for me, that made the difference.

rwillett
01-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I changed out every component on the computer for ultra-quiet stuff, so the fan is silent even when you open the case and put your ear next to it, same for PSU and all other fans e.g. I run a silent Asus 9400GT card. Which makes it difficult to hear anything The machine is genuinely silent. :)

What I found was that the lights do go off on the case.

I haven't changed the fakesmc kext over, but wonder if PleaseSleep has the same functionality?

Do you have to press the power button to resume from sleep or can you do this from the mouse or keyboard? I have to use the power button.

Rob.

benniepooh
01-21-2011, 10:33 PM
If you ping it, and it doesn't respond, it's asleep. And if you look at console messages after you wake it up, you'll see:

Jan 18 18:37:06 bens-iMac kernel[0]: System Sleep
Jan 18 22:49:41 Bens-iMac kernel[0]: Wake reason = UHC4
Jan 18 22:49:41 Bens-iMac kernel[0]: System Wake
Jan 18 22:49:41 Bens-iMac kernel[0]: Previous Sleep Cause: 0

clumber
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Here's a problem that has left me scratching my head... I applied the 10.6.6 update on my 10.6.4 system and everything looked fine. My Broadcom based WiFi card was seen and was working. I was running on a single 2GB memory stick as I had a stick of memory go bad, and meanwhile got 2 new Corsair memory sticks to bring the system back up to 4GB, rebooted 10.6.6 and there's no WiFi found. Remove a stick of memory and it's back. I'm running the 64 bit kernel, and obviously would prefer to have all 4GB of memory in the system. lspci shows the WiFi card as04:01.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Belkin F5D7000uk 54G Wireless Network Card
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
Memory at fdcfe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
I'm not sure what else to look at. Any suggestions? The motherboard is a 2.4 revision level, and I've booted in 32 bit and 64 bit with the same results.

clumber

Update: Well, maybe this explains it: BCM4320 on 10.6.5 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=244614)

Thank you so much, it took a bit of fiddling but once I realised it was a Kernel issue I got it fixed.

For anyone else with this issue, I used IO80211Family.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, IOUSBFamily.kext and mach_kernel from 10.6.4 with everything else stock 10.6.6 and it's running stably with wifi working.I'm not sure it's worth it to do this much fiddling just to get the AppStore... maybe 10.6.7 will be a fix for it.

blashman
01-29-2011, 03:42 PM
yes it's in 64bit.
here's my Extra folder

Thanks disco monkey for your upload.
Unfortunately the sleep doesn't work for me. I don't know why but system reboots while trying to awake.

zim2dive
01-29-2011, 04:56 PM
I recently moved my box to do HTPC duties and started using the digital out, using an alleged gigabyte widget off ebay that connects to the digital out header on the mobo..it has coax and optical out... I'm finding that it seems to randomly(?) pick which of those 2 is active.. so I'll have sound showing as an output, but get none.. I go to my rcvr and toggle the audio in btw coax-1 and optical-1 and I get sound again.. anyone else see this and have a solution to get the result to be predictable?

tooriski
01-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks disco monkey for your upload.
Unfortunately the sleep doesn't work for me. I don't know why but system reboots while trying to awake.

I had the same problem.
make sure "start up automatically after power failure" is checked under Energy Saver options in system preferences.

zim2dive
02-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Ran into something new last night.. I had recently moved my hack to serve at HTPC and had swapped in an nvidia GT240 (using DVI out). All worked fine. Then last night, I rebooted and got stuck with a 1024x768 (I think) screen (on my 1080 TV)... the monitors panel showed no other options. When I rebooted again, I noticed a VERY brief error message in top the left corner of the screen right as the countdown counter expires and the myHack screen comes up. The text is there for all of half a second... I tried booting verbose and did not see it... the bet I could make out is something about "bad display ... block...Error: Nvidia ROM patching failed (0x 0)" (this is off of memory, I left my notes at home).

Some googling found other similar reports.. but I did not find any obvious solution... other than pulling the GT240 and putting in a 9500GT I had as a spare... came right back up to 1920x1080 (or as 10.6. seems to like to call it "1080p".

Can anyone point me towards more info on this? I did this install way way long ago.. perhaps is there a newer myHack and/or graphicsenabler I should be installing over what I have now?

also I noticed whatever does this happens before I pick the boot drive in chameleon? ie. even when I switch to my backup drive, the resolution was wrong.

Just to be clear.. everything was working just fine for weeks. Last night I tried to put the machine to sleep, it seemed to get half-way there and then hang... fans blowing full.. so I rebooted and had the bad resolution.

alltoorobot
02-18-2011, 05:16 AM
Ran into something new last night.. I had recently moved my hack to serve at HTPC and had swapped in an nvidia GT240 (using DVI out). All worked fine. Then last night, I rebooted and got stuck with a 1024x768 (I think) screen (on my 1080 TV)... the monitors panel showed no other options. When I rebooted again, I noticed a VERY brief error message in top the left corner of the screen right as the countdown counter expires and the myHack screen comes up. The text is there for all of half a second... I tried booting verbose and did not see it... the bet I could make out is something about "bad display ... block...Error: Nvidia ROM patching failed (0x 0)" (this is off of memory, I left my notes at home).

Some googling found other similar reports.. but I did not find any obvious solution... other than pulling the GT240 and putting in a 9500GT I had as a spare... came right back up to 1920x1080 (or as 10.6. seems to like to call it "1080p".

Can anyone point me towards more info on this? I did this install way way long ago.. perhaps is there a newer myHack and/or graphicsenabler I should be installing over what I have now?

also I noticed whatever does this happens before I pick the boot drive in chameleon? ie. even when I switch to my backup drive, the resolution was wrong.

Just to be clear.. everything was working just fine for weeks. Last night I tried to put the machine to sleep, it seemed to get half-way there and then hang... fans blowing full.. so I rebooted and had the bad resolution.

Zim,

Do you have a clone for backup? If I was you, I might start trying out different configurations. You could do a fresh install, using iboot. I'm not sure what exactly is going on there. They are using very new Chameleon boot loaders rc2 ver699. those boot loaders have built in graphics card recognition and other new features. May help you out. If you have a bootable clone of your system, you could try just changing the bootloader.

Just some thoughts

I'm having trouble on my eg31m-s2, which is also supposed to be my media center. The resolutions, 1920 x 1080x60 are giving me squiggle lines . making 1080p plasma look like a puzzle. I have to reduce resolution and even then picture is off centered. this is on the 9800gt through dvi-vga.

weird stuff

may just go back to w7

shadowro
03-23-2011, 03:38 PM
any1 updated to 10.6.7?
any issues? thx

drJaser
03-27-2011, 03:03 PM
I did successfully update on 10.6.7...
the only think which I must use is pmVersion=21 in the boot sequence.. the rest works OK..
The only difference from prior versions is use of VoodooHDA for audio instead of ALC662.kext
as you probably know G31M-ES2 has ALC662 chip and not ALC882 as many people thinks.

I don't know why my Core2Duo proc is not recognized as Duo but Solo (see first picture)..
Anyone has an idea ??

BR

DmitryAE
03-28-2011, 07:03 PM
the only think which I must use is pmVersion=21 in the boot sequence.. the rest works OK..
The only difference from prior versions is use of VoodooHDA for audio instead of ALC662.kext
as you probably know G31M-ES2 has ALC662 chip and not ALC882 as many people thinks.

I don't know why my Core2Duo proc is not recognized as Duo but Solo (see first picture)..
Anyone has an idea ??

BR

Why do you think that g31m-es2l has ALC662 instead of ALC883 (exactly 883, not 882). I have read the specification from gigabyte at http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2889#sp . All motherboard revisions have ALC883.

Also have problem with sound. In Win7 it's more clear and loud than in Mac OS X. Can't solve this problem.

Thanks.

DmitryAE
04-03-2011, 04:44 AM

Also updated the Mac Os X without problems. The boot flag is pmVersion=21 too.

Rapidas
04-06-2011, 09:03 AM

I used the LegacyALC883.kext and AppleHDA from 10.6.4 since that results in zero driver reported errors. Like I said, no sleepenabler or nullcpupm, and *everything* in both 64-bit and 32-bit modes flawlessly.

<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>

Maybe someone has DSDT for rev 2.0 motherboard? I do not understand how to apply ES2Lw/allthe currentfix.dsl fixes.

stp715a
04-07-2011, 05:33 PM

<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>

Hi and thanks for the dsdt. The link only takes you to the filedropper home page. Is there another way to get the dsdt?

Thanks

Rapidas
04-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi and thanks for the dsdt. The link only takes you to the filedropper home page. Is there another way to get the dsdt?

Thanks

I've patched my DSDT using DSDT Auto-Patcher (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523), Linux MInt live cd, and looks like now DSDT is much better than i had before.

inoob
05-07-2011, 04:10 PM
G31M-ES2L is great, just a quick question and sorry for interrupting the discussion. Need your advise should I get rev 1.1 board or rev. 2.4 board. Since I've found in the wiki, the newest rev 2.4 boards also works with 1.6.7 as well.

thanks./

bmckay
05-24-2011, 03:49 AM
Hey guys. Quick question.

So, today, I turn on my hack and got a Keys Out of Order error. Basically this means, "You get to format and reinstall! ENJOY!"

I thought I was bulletproof so I had limited backups. So I did the fresh install and updated straight to 10.6.7 before fiddling with any kexts or anything. So right now, I have the most up to date OS, but no sound or sleep (never had sleep, actually).

I had sound on my previous installation, but I don't remember how I got there. I don't know I didn't do anything with my DSDT, though. In fact, the only thing I DO remember is using the EP45 Magic Installer from the lifehacker guide. lol.

tl;dr
So, any ideas on what I'll need to do to get sound working in 10.6.7 fresh?

ricky_kid
05-28-2011, 09:21 AM
For those having trouble with sound, try this driver.

I've also found, that at least in my case, putting drivers in /Extra/Extensions only works for very low level functions. Things like fakesmc and OpenHaltRestart work fine in there, but things like my audio drivers don't.

Anyways, I've tried several drivers for sound, and this is the only one that works.

MonkeyDLuffy
06-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Anybody tried updating 10.6.8? I haven't tried it yet because I want to make sure it will be just fine.

Thanks!

andymodem
06-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Just updated to 10.6.8 via Software Update. Removed Sleepenabler.kext before updating. After updating had to reinstall AppleHDA. Everything is running great so far though. :)

rubeni
06-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all, I have install Snow Leopard 10.6.6, everything works Ok.

But I have a question, which USB dongle i have to buy to have WIFI 100%?

I only got video on DVI not hdmi because video was blank. My video car is nvidia Geforce 9800GTX, i wanna convert the hackingtosh on HTPC to see SL on my LCD.
;)

DmitryAE
06-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Update to 10.6.8 with no problems.
I have no sleepenabler so didn't delete it before.

Sound works with:
Anyways, I've tried several drivers for sound, and this is the only one that works.
You can download it in the post early.

cyrusthevirus
07-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Update to 10.6.8 with no problems.
I have no sleepenabler so didn't delete it before.

Sound works with:

You can download it in the post early.

How do you get sleep working without SleepEnabler?

Ps. does the same SleepEnabler from 10.6.6 work with 10.6.8?

shadowro
07-06-2011, 10:58 PM
any success with Lion?
thx

cyrusthevirus
07-12-2011, 02:50 AM
any success with Lion?
thx

Lion GM works perfectly, I managed to get everything working on my 1.0rev board.

andymodem
07-17-2011, 04:40 AM
Lion GM works perfectly, I managed to get everything working on my 1.0rev board.

What files and process did you use to get Lion working? I just installed Lion on my MacBook Pro and I'm anxious to give it a try on my Hackintosh.

cyrusthevirus
07-20-2011, 09:01 PM
What files and process did you use to get Lion working? I just installed Lion on my MacBook Pro and I'm anxious to give it a try on my Hackintosh.

I created a 10gb partition on one of the HDD's on my system since I didnt have an 8gb usb, restored Lion GM and installed the new Chameleon on it and installed it onto a seperate partition. There are loads of guides around.

Let me know if you need my Extra's folder and the procedure.

shadowro
07-20-2011, 09:40 PM
I created a 10gb partition on one of the HDD's on my system since I didnt have an 8gb usb, restored Lion GM and installed the new Chameleon on it and installed it onto a seperate partition. There are loads of guides around.

Let me know if you need my Extra's folder and the procedure.

if you can do a small tutorial (few steps what to do) and upload your EXTRA folder somewhere, that would be great and everybody will appreciate you.
thanks!

cyrusthevirus
07-21-2011, 01:05 AM
I followed this tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwmkU5wPi5g

The only reason I chose this method of installing Lion was due to the lack of 8GB USB, its not necessary to use this method. Im not sure if it works on the retail version, I have Lion GM installed, didnt bother to try retail since its the same version as GM.

I have the 1.0rev board, if your using a higher board you will have to install the kext for your lan, choose the one from your current snow leopard install.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e323t0cna50i90y

I chose to install the same kexts in S/L/E and /Extra just in case something wouldnt work. I have also included the Chameleon and Kext Utility for Lion. DSDT not included, use the one from your current install.

So far, everything is working. Sleep, sound, lan, gfx..

Note: It is important to install new Chameleon on both your installs, Lion and Snow Leopard if you want to keep dual boot.

If you get "Lion cannot be installed on this computer". Please use the Lion_OSInstall included in the link above. Replace that with the OSInstall on your USB or Hard drive that you restore Lion on.

DmitryAE
08-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I followed this tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwmkU5wPi5g

The only reason I chose this method of installing Lion was due to the lack of 8GB USB, its not necessary to use this method. Im not sure if it works on the retail version, I have Lion GM installed, didnt bother to try retail since its the same version as GM.

I have the 1.0rev board, if your using a higher board you will have to install the kext for your lan, choose the one from your current snow leopard install.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e323t0cna50i90y

I chose to install the same kexts in S/L/E and /Extra just in case something wouldnt work. I have also included the Chameleon and Kext Utility for Lion. DSDT not included, use the one from your current install.

So far, everything is working. Sleep, sound, lan, gfx..

Note: It is important to install new Chameleon on both your installs, Lion and Snow Leopard if you want to keep dual boot.

If you get "Lion cannot be installed on this computer". Please use the Lion_OSInstall included in the link above. Replace that with the OSInstall on your USB or Hard drive that you restore Lion on.

Hi.

Does you hackintosh have sleep and Wake On Lan ? It can wake up from sleep if click mouse or keyboard more times. If click only one button that it starts and sleep again. Monitor doesn't turn on if click only one time.

Gabriel
09-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Hi, i have G31M-ES2L (http://osx86.co/showthread.php?p=54774#post54774) Rev 1.0 , i need Ethernet kext (working) and the method to install him. I have try the kext found in this topic but the ethernet is detected but the connection does not work. Why? :D

Thx from Italy ;)

jonpanoff
10-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi,
I have the Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L. Should the install guide work with this mobo? I am having real trouble getting it to work. I created the USB drive installer using Snow Leopard disk utility in a virtual machine as I don't have a Mac. It all seemed to be working well. modified the plist file etc. Upon reboot and F12 it recognised my drive and I selected the USB thumb drive on the second screen.. then waited.. and waited. Finally the apple logo comes up and then a few seconds later I get a small cirle with a cross through it come up and it just stalls.Any suggestions anyone??

Hydroxide
11-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Guys I am stuck after I select the language. It gives me a never ending "preparing installation" screen. How can I solve this?

raj mulay
01-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Guys I am stuck after I select the language. It gives me a never ending "preparing installation" screen. How can I solve this?

Hi , I am facing same problem ? I am have the Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L-F10 mother board, with 2GB Ram, 160GB HD, DVD ROM writer, G force 9500 graphic card. I am trying to load Imac 10.6 version. Where I am going wrong? Any suggations? :-*

alltoorobot
02-22-2012, 05:25 AM
1-kakewalk with eg41m settings will install and get a basic system running.
2-remove the dsdt from extra folder
3-restart
4-use dsdt auto patcher (find it..google?) select your make and model mobo
5-i removed cmos reset kext from extra
6-repair permissions
7-get newest sleepenabler (each os version upgrade requires new sleepenabler)
http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/downloads/list
8-install with kextbeast

besure to follow/read each programs guides, such as kakewalk and kextbeast other wise you will have issues.

thanks to everyone who helped me with this rig. This is the last post in this thread as I am giving my Lion g31m away :-(.

ocaner
05-03-2012, 09:03 AM
I have problem, I tried this guide but when I boot "-v"
The computer shuts down.

ocaner
05-03-2012, 09:07 AM
I need help!!!
I tried this guide but when I boot verbose mode "-v" the computer shuts down.
ga-g31m es2l rev 1.1 onboard gpu : gma3100

sublimespot
08-15-2012, 10:15 PM
I upgraded to Mountain Lion (and also did a fresh install) using the DSDT.aml from the original G31M-ES2L link in the first post, and MultiBeast 4.6.1 from TonyMac for drivers.

Everything working except for sound at this time

353inf
08-22-2012, 11:32 PM
got a ? .........thought 'lion' required' higher end intel processor i7,i5, which requires 1155 socket......thus 'es2l' board 'nixxxed!...........any info appreciated, thanks

sublimespot
08-23-2012, 06:51 PM
got a ? .........thought 'lion' required' higher end intel processor i7,i5, which requires 1155 socket......thus 'es2l' board 'nixxxed!...........any info appreciated, thanks

Nope, it works on this G31M-ES2L mobo with Intel Dual Core

353inf
08-24-2012, 05:27 PM
appreciate your quick reply..........will i have to download all updates for current snow leopard? didn't go that route as weary of having to reinstall, panic attacks,etc.......which guide? thanks again